Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-22-18, 07:34 AM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
Cross Country knows no borders

Nice article in the Cincinnati Enquirer about a local cross country team.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ty/2031229002/
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-18, 11:13 AM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofrunning View Post
Nice article in the Cincinnati Enquirer about a local cross country team.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ty/2031229002/
Nice article, but the author seriously needs to proof read his material before publishing. Numerous spelling and grammatical mistakes jumped out at me, not to mention that Bill Schnier was far more than just a "cross country coach".
Old 11-22-18, 12:55 PM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
Good read and good for Aiken. Jav I agree the quality of editing left a lot to be desired.
Old 11-23-18, 01:26 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
Nice article, but the author seriously needs to proof read his material before publishing. Numerous spelling and grammatical mistakes jumped out at me, not to mention that Bill Schnier was far more than just a "cross country coach".
"As he led the students in the class room and on runs, he also received help from Bill Schnier, a legendary cross country coach at the University of Cincinnati. Then, Schneir coached 10 All-Americans and two Olympic medalists. In 2018, he taught high schoolers how to run for the first time while they adjusted to the new sport, and in some cases, a new culture and country."

This does not imply that Bill Schnier was "Just a cross country coach" to me.

I am dyslexic. I do not see misspellings in the article. I do not see misspellings anywhere, for that matter. If I point out something that is misspelled, I'm most likely wrong. My grammar and punctuation are terrible. The harder I try at it, the worse I am. I did see the "Then, Schneir coached..." I assume it should be "There, Schneir coached..." There are things that drive me nuts. Run and Ran. Their, They're and there. State and States. To, Too and Two. I just turned 53 on Thanksgiving and my English skills are so rudimentary, that I have absolutely no idea when to use a : or ; and my use of a , comes and goes. If I stop to think if I need to use a comma, I will spend 10 minutes in an internal debate just to get it wrong. I think I could be a brilliant writer if I was not dyslexic. I am probably wrong about that too though.

I can't even explain how I read. Somehow, I do.

When I was in elementary school, I was the best math student in my class. I did every problem in my head. As soon as I got to Jr, High and had to show my work, I became a disaster, I have to use a calculator for the simplest addition now.

I thought the article was well written as far as getting me emotional about the kids. I cannot tell you if it was good grammatically or not. I did not see a single misspelling. I know I did not see where it referred to Mr. Schneir as "Just a cross country coach" or even imply such a thing.
Old 11-23-18, 02:59 AM
All American

Coach Schnier's last name was spelled correctly to begin with: SchnIEr. The author then changed it to SchnEIr. That may sound like a ticky-tack point to make, but the sound of the two spellings is completely different. The first and correct spelling results in the sound SCHNEER. The 2nd and incorrect spelling results in the sound SCHNIRE. Completely different.

With regard to the comment that this was the first time Aiken has sponsored girls and boys XC at the same time, I've got a hard time believing that given how long Aiken has been around. The author may have been given this information from the school, but that source might be incorrect. I'd have to research that issue to definitively say so or not.

The article was an interesting read, though, and I give the reporter and school credit for all that is involved.
Old 11-23-18, 09:23 AM
All District

SLS is on a distinguished road
I am never completely satisfied with "feel-good" articles about cross country or any other sports, but I'm still happy that this one was written It is rare when even a good sportswriter is able to capture the essence of cross country. I have to agree that this article is not very well written.
You could perhaps send complaints to the person who wrote the article. I'd be very surprised if he is a Yappi follower.
chatch@enquirer.com
Old 11-23-18, 09:38 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
I am never completely satisfied with "feel-good" articles about cross country or any other sports, but I'm still happy that this one was written It is rare when even a good sportswriter is able to capture the essence of cross country. I have to agree that this article is not very well written.
You could perhaps send complaints to the person who wrote the article. I'd be very surprised if he is a Yappi follower.
chatch@enquirer.com
chatch ? Any relation to Brian and Mary Hatch? Hmmm, if so, then I understand.