Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-01-18, 01:28 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percidae View Post
Oh contraire. Several games are being moved from grass (home fields) to turf (more neutral fields) due to the rain.

My question is will there be teams, mainly some of the high flying D1 girls teams, that opt out of the state mean to attend NXN?
moved but played the same time they were scheduled in the first place?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-18, 01:29 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Not sure OHSAA can do anything more than move it to next weekend and pray for better weather. If the course they use for State Meet is Closed due to flooding you definitely can’t expect them to “run anyway”. If they run someplace else this week, people be pissed about late notification. They move to next weekend and people are pissed do to late notification and other Meets next weekend.
Old 11-01-18, 01:37 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
Not sure OHSAA can do anything more than move it to next weekend and pray for better weather. If the course they use for State Meet is Closed due to flooding you definitely can’t expect them to “run anyway”. If they run someplace else this week, people be pissed about late notification. They move to next weekend and people are pissed do to late notification and other Meets next weekend.
So you sympathize with the OHSAA and see them caught between a rock and a hard place.
Old 11-01-18, 01:45 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
I'm not concerned about NXN. They move the date of that thing all over the place. I enjoy the Mideast Meet. If it's me, State meet comes first as a runner. I think College coaches would understand that.

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Maybe it forces a serious look at alternate venues.
Old 11-01-18, 01:47 PM
Freshman

oncearunner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
There should've been a plan in place a long time ago.

Ever since, well, it was decided that the location of the state meet was to be in a location prone to flooding.
Old 11-01-18, 01:54 PM
All District

ENA2 is on a distinguished road
Good point Psycho. If I start my proposal pen, it could be 4-5 years before anything concrete comes about.
Old 11-01-18, 02:10 PM
Varsity

Percidae is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
moved but played the same time they were scheduled in the first place?
Yes, same date and time. Not sure if home teams have the option of changing the date so they can retain home field or not. It is much easier to change location when only two teams are involved and there are lots of alternative locations.
Old 11-01-18, 02:17 PM
Varsity

Percidae is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percidae View Post
Yes, same date and time. Not sure if home teams have the option of changing the date so they can retain home field or not. It is much easier to change location when only two teams are involved and there are lots of alternative locations.
From the football forum, here is their regulation concerning site/date/time.

1.1 Regional quarterfinal games will be played at the home site of the highest ranked teams in each
region. These games will be played at the time and on the date as adopted by the Board of
Directors. If the site of the higher ranked team is not available at that time/date then the higher
ranked team shall obtain a neutral site. If a neutral site is not available the game will be played at
the opponent’s field. If the proposed school does not wish to host the game based on the
financial regulations, the Football Administrator’s office will assign the game to the opponent’s
site or a neutral site. The Football Administrator’s office has the right to change the host site if a
site has been negligent with their tournament financial reporting in the past. When the host site
has an unlighted field the game will be played at 1:30 p.m. on November 3.
Old 11-01-18, 02:44 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENA2 View Post
Good point Psycho. If I start my proposal pen, it could be 4-5 years before anything concrete comes about.
Better than any of the rest of us can do or have done.

Realistically, OHSAA had to do something today, or teams would be showing up tonight or tomorrow. Think of how bad things would get if teams were already checking into hotels or at the very least on their way down to the venue? It would be a bigger disaster than we all think it is now and about 10 times more inconvenient. I'm sure it was not an easy call to make. I would not want to be the one to have to make it. They park in grass, It would be an absolute nightmare for everyone except tow truck drivers.

Not sure what the weather looks like everywhere else, but in the NE it looks like a 50% chance of rain everyday this week. Training will not be fun. Looks like 10% but mostly sunny near the course this week.
Old 11-01-18, 02:53 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENA2 View Post
4-5 years is better than 10 years or never at all.
Old 11-01-18, 02:53 PM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Incredible! Finishtiming can attest that this is nothing compared to the 2 weeks worth of rain that flooded the VOA course prior to Wilmington College's hosting of the NCAA D3 nationals in 2006. Now THERE was a rain-soaked course!
Old 11-01-18, 04:23 PM
All Region

runohio is on a distinguished road
the area got 1.5" of rain so far today with more rain tonight and Friday...
Old 11-01-18, 05:22 PM
All District

Seppo Kaitainen is on a distinguished road
I hope they can find a better location. We're in the NW and would have absolutely no trouble going to Cincinnati or Centerville.

My team almost made it and almost qualified a few individuals, but came up a little short. I'm going to be out of the country on the 10th. My trip is non-refundable. It's crazy that I would've had to choose between losing a few grand or taking my team to the state meet.
Old 11-01-18, 05:32 PM
All World

I'm concerned that with the election on tuesday, if the Levy does not pass, Woodridge will not be able to go. My other Concern is that the season officially ends on the 3rd. Are the kids even allowed to run for their schools, or do they have to form clubs? When I ran, half the kids played Basketball and practice starts Monday. Good that not too many CC kids do that anymore.
Old 11-01-18, 05:37 PM
All Region

panott is on a distinguished road
Quote:
i said this last month......SNL is electric and to run a state meet on that course would be unreal.

Stadium finish is what we need for the state meet
SNL course is less fan friendly than National Trails.
Old 11-01-18, 06:39 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Went by the course today on the way back from seeing my parents. One big problem they would have is the very real possibility the course itself will be inaccessible if the predicted rain keeps falling. The rivers and streams are all rising and there is spot flooding all over the place right now. We probably don't want any more viral videos of bus drivers driving into flood waters.
Old 11-01-18, 08:21 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by panott View Post
SNL course is less fan friendly than National Trails.
Sorry but this is not the truth
Old 11-01-18, 08:25 PM
All Region

panott is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sorry but this is not the truth
Not being able to see almost all of mile two or mile three at SNL makes it much worse than NT.
Old 11-01-18, 09:09 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncearunner View Post
There should've been a plan in place a long time ago.

Ever since, well, it was decided that the location of the state meet was to be in a location prone to flooding.
This I agree with 100%. Should Always have a Plan B, no matter the Sport or Venue. Not having a Plan B is why they are between a Rock and a Hard place.
Old 11-01-18, 09:18 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
I'm concerned that with the election on tuesday, if the Levy does not pass, Woodridge will not be able to go. My other Concern is that the season officially ends on the 3rd. Are the kids even allowed to run for their schools, or do they have to form clubs? When I ran, half the kids played Basketball and practice starts Monday. Good that not too many CC kids do that anymore.
Trying to get in everyones head in the week before state, are we?
Old 11-01-18, 10:11 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
Went by the course today on the way back from seeing my parents. One big problem they would have is the very real possibility the course itself will be inaccessible if the predicted rain keeps falling. The rivers and streams are all rising and there is spot flooding all over the place right now. We probably don't want any more viral videos of bus drivers driving into flood waters.
mathking tells it like it is. National Trails Raceway will probably not allow the meet to be run there on November 10th either. We now know that NTR cancelled the 11/3 meet, not the OHSAA. The OHSAA had better find an alternate site and find it fast or this meet may not come off at all.

Last edited by Lancermania; 11-01-18 at 10:46 PM..
Old 11-01-18, 11:08 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Cedarville is the place to go

Let's move this meet to Cedarville now as an emergency replacement for this year's meet. They have a stand alone 5K course already set up. Here is the link to the course at Cedarville. There is parking for 1,000 cars by the course. Additional parking is also available on campus. Our track meet is over two days, so why can't cross country be also if parking may not be adequate. Run DIII and DII on Friday and DI on Saturday.

https://yellowjackets.cedarville.edu/facilities/?id=3

The location of the course. https://www.cedarville.edu/Admission...edarville.aspx

Last edited by Lancermania; 11-01-18 at 11:31 PM..
Old 11-02-18, 02:55 AM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Let's move this meet to Cedarville now as an emergency replacement for this year's meet. They have a stand alone 5K course already set up. Here is the link to the course at Cedarville. There is parking for 1,000 cars by the course. Additional parking is also available on campus. Our track meet is over two days, so why can't cross country be also if parking may not be adequate. Run DIII and DII on Friday and DI on Saturday.

https://yellowjackets.cedarville.edu/facilities/?id=3

The location of the course. https://www.cedarville.edu/Admission...edarville.aspx
OHSAA isn't willing to relocate the state meet on short notice. If they were, they'd listen to Finishtiming and have all divisions on one day at Clark country fairgrounds.
Old 11-02-18, 03:39 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Isn't relocation better than no meet at all.
Old 11-02-18, 06:44 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by panott View Post
Not being able to see almost all of mile two or mile three at SNL makes it much worse than NT.
this time of year you can easily see the farm loop if you want to run out to the parking lot.

My guess is that you could see more of it right on the course then Scioto and NTR.
Old 11-02-18, 06:46 AM
All World

Quote:
mathking tells it like it is. National Trails Raceway will probably not allow the meet to be run there on November 10th either. We now know that NTR cancelled the 11/3 meet, not the OHSAA. The OHSAA had better find an alternate site and find it fast or this meet may not come off at all.

why wouldnt they run it next weekend?
Old 11-02-18, 07:19 AM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Isn't relocation better than no meet at all.
I'm with Lancermania on this one. The state track & field meets were moved in 1970 on a couple weeks notice due to the problems on campus associated with reaction to the Kent State killings on 4 May 1970. There is precedent for such a quick move, and like was stated earlier in this thread, there should ALREADY BE a contingency plan in effect to cover this very scenario. Delaying the meet by a week is NOT a very good contingency.
Old 11-02-18, 07:34 AM
All World

As far as running it somewhere else, there has to be contracts involved that none of us really know about. NTR would be stupid to just allow it to be held somewhere else. Wasn't there a story last year about extending the contract for so many years? Concessions, Law enforcement and other helpers for parking, Ticket sales, Restrooms. You just don't rent restrooms for one site on one day and have it moved 100 miles away for the same day. There was not enough time to move something this big to another site in a day. Just crowd control alone at a new facility would be impossible to plan for in a day. As soon as something went wrong at the new facility, the same people demanding it be moved and run on short notice, would be calling for someones head. Just the awards ceremonies and figuring out where to put the crowd for that at Cedarville would be rough.

I agree, there should be a plan in place for this. I think it is to move it to the following week. Now, if that does not happen, then there are big problems.

Has it been raining in Troy? Would they have been able to have the Regional there if this were last week and they got this amount of rain? I know here in the NE, we have moved the Regional from Boardman to GlenOak, so they could probably pull that off in a day. Could the other Regionals?
Old 11-02-18, 07:47 AM
All World

5 year contract was what was in place for the first few years. Not sure about it now. I am sure that NTR has a clause that they can postpone for this stuff
Old 11-02-18, 08:04 AM
Junior Varsity

One_Time is on a distinguished road
This might get OHSAA to come up with a contingency plan starting next year. I'm just happy that NXR is refunding us our $400. Good luck to everyone next week.