Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-01-18, 11:58 AM
All District

XCFan98 is on a distinguished road
plan b

What if it rains again this week? What if it rains more? What if it is worse?

Could they do it somewhere else?

Contact OHSAA - they have to have a better plan.

What about NIKE? What about Hotels? Buses? College visits? Etc.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-18, 12:02 PM
All Region

Finishtiming is on a distinguished road
on

OHSAA Postpones State Cross Country Tournament to Nov. 10
November 1, 2018
News Release – Ohio High School Athletic Association
Executive Director Jerry Snodgrass

www.OHSAA.org | www.twitter.com/OHSAASports | www.Facebook.com/OHSAA

For Immediate Release – Nov. 1, 2018
Contact – Tim Stried, Director of Communications, tstried@ohsaa.org

OHSAA Postpones State Cross Country Tournament to Nov. 10
Conditions of course move championships a week later

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio High School Athletic Association has postponed Saturday’s state cross country tournament and is moving the championships to Saturday, Nov. 10, due to flooding conditions on the course at National Trail Raceway in Hebron, Executive Director Jerry Snodgrass has announced.

“While I wholeheartedly understand the impact this move has for all those involved in the event, this is the best solution for the safety and well-being of our participating student-athletes,” Snodgrass said. “National Trail Raceway has closed the course due to flooding with the on-going rain we have had in central Ohio, so the conditions will hopefully be much better by next weekend.”

The schedule for the championships will be as follows:
Saturday, Nov. 10, National Trail Raceway, Hebron
11:00 a.m. – Boys Division III
11:45 a.m. – Boys Division II
12:30 p.m. – Boys Division I
1:30 p.m. – Girls Division III
2:15 p.m. – Girls Division II
3:00 p.m. – Girls Division I

The OHSAA will continue to update information on the cross country tournament on its website (www.ohsaa.org) and Twitter and Facebook accounts.
Old 11-01-18, 12:04 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Link on OHSAA web site. https://ohsaa.org/news-media/article...ment-to-Nov-10
Old 11-01-18, 12:08 PM
All District

XCFan98 is on a distinguished road
Top Studs?

What will those with high powered top studs do? Those that have a legit chance to make it to Nike Nationals? Run Saturday, then drive to IN for the Nike meet then run Sunday?
Old 11-01-18, 12:11 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Ok so we cant have a championship at a site that if it was other places it would happen. Unacceptable.

I am not sure about the Columbus area but who can name a place that can fit 12,000 people parking and have a CC meet with grandstands (at least a stadium finish)?

This meet needs moved.
Old 11-01-18, 12:12 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCFan98 View Post
Top Studs?

What will those with high powered top studs do? Those that have a legit chance to make it to Nike Nationals? Run Saturday, then drive to IN for the Nike meet then run Sunday?
I guess everyone gets a weekend off like Centerville girls do at districts.
Old 11-01-18, 12:12 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Top Studs?

There's always Foot Locker for the individuals. The teams would be the big losers here.
Old 11-01-18, 12:16 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
Ok so we cant have a championship at a site that if it was other places it would happen. Unacceptable.

I am not sure about the Columbus area but who can name a place that can fit 12,000 people parking and have a CC meet with grandstands (at least a stadium finish)?

This meet needs moved.
I have one and just walked it. We could run saturday. I have offered it last year and also offered it this morning.
Old 11-01-18, 12:20 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
I'm with Mr. Slippery on this one. First thing I thought of was parking. I ran sectionals in 6" of snow and last weekend at Boardman was no day at the beach. 1500 cars stuck in the mud is a much bigger deal. Has this ever happened before?

No way OSU is letting HS CC tear up the golf course without $ to cover it. I don't think the Agriculture center exists like it used to to where a meet could be held there. Over 10,000 people folks. This isn't just happening anywhere.

I was thinking yesterday, why couldn't they run it at the golf course by the tennis center across from Kings island? Kings island can certainly handle the parking. Shuttle people from there. Not that they could do it for this Weekend, but as an alternative to NTR.
Old 11-01-18, 12:20 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finishtiming View Post
I have one and just walked it. We could run saturday. I have offered it last year and also offered it this morning.
I know where you are at. Seems logical to move it. It should have been moved already.
Old 11-01-18, 12:21 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
I'm with Mr. Slippery on this one. First thing I thought of was parking. I ran sectionals in 6" of snow and last weekend at Boardman was no day at the beach. 1500 cars stuck in the mud is a much bigger deal. Has this ever happened before?

No way OSU is letting HS CC tear up the golf course without $ to cover it. I don't think the Agriculture center exists like it used to to where a meet could be held there. Over 10,000 people folks. This isn't just happening anywhere.

I was thinking yesterday, why couldn't they run it at the golf course by the tennis center across from Kings island? Kings island can certainly handle the parking. Shuttle people from there. Not that they could do it for this Weekend, but as an alternative to NTR.
I think the corners of the state is unfair and not equitable for all.
Old 11-01-18, 12:24 PM
All World

Quote:
You need to get the info to ENA so he can get his proposal pen going and get it done. Of course, I'd have to petition that Finishtiming be excluded from timing if there is a conflict of interest going forward. It is miserable outside today.
Old 11-01-18, 12:27 PM
All World

Quote:
I think the corners of the state is unfair and not equitable for all.
I don't think anyone would complain about going to Kings Island. It's an extra hour of travel. NE would have the longest travel and I don't think anyone would be upset as long as they got reasonable hotel rates and had an olive garden to eat at. Just throw in a hill and some rough footing and we will be fine.
Old 11-01-18, 12:28 PM
All World

Wink

Quote:
You need to get the info to ENA so he can get his proposal pen going and get it done. Of course, I'd have to petition that Finishtiming be excluded from timing if there is a conflict of interest going forward. It is miserable outside today.
I would think the opposite. What Finishtiming has done for our sport and what they are capable of doing going forward is better then the old hats that are doing it now.

The powers that be need to step aside and let the future of the sport take over. If Finishtiming can host this meet on their own course I say why not.

Mike would have to do it for free
Old 11-01-18, 12:29 PM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
“While I wholeheartedly understand the impact this move has for all those involved in the event, this is the best solution for the safety and well-being of our participating student-athletes,” Snodgrass said.

What a crock of bull sh*t.
Old 11-01-18, 12:31 PM
Freshman

Runningfast is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately, the Kings Island course doesn't exist as it once did. I believe they've paved over big chunks of the course to increase parking/facilities for the tennis arena.

I say send it to the Saturday Night Lights course in Centerville. Several loops through the stadium in front of the grandstands. They hosted nearly 100 teams and several thousand runners (and all the buses and cars that came with it) for the regular season meet. That area has a number of hotels/food places.

I know it's not the most challenging course, but its spectator friendly and can handle a lot of people (both runners and fans).
Old 11-01-18, 12:34 PM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:

This meet needs moved.

Quote:
Old 11-01-18, 12:36 PM
All Region

Quote:

Kings island no longer has the golf course where we held cc meets. It is all parking lot for tennis now.

The course I have is not actually mine. It is on the clark county fairgrounds site and is their course. I designed it and time a college meet and a couple hs meets there. We have parking and better access from highway than any other location I have seen.
Old 11-01-18, 12:36 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningfast View Post
Unfortunately, the Kings Island course doesn't exist as it once did. I believe they've paved over big chunks of the course to increase parking/facilities for the tennis arena.

I say send it to the Saturday Night Lights course in Centerville. Several loops through the stadium in front of the grandstands. They hosted nearly 100 teams and several thousand runners (and all the buses and cars that came with it) for the regular season meet. That area has a number of hotels/food places.

I know it's not the most challenging course, but its spectator friendly and can handle a lot of people (both runners and fans).
i said this last month......SNL is electric and to run a state meet on that course would be unreal.

Stadium finish is what we need for the state meet
Old 11-01-18, 12:37 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by said_aouita View Post
“While I wholeheartedly understand the impact this move has for all those involved in the event, this is the best solution for the safety and well-being of our participating student-athletes,” Snodgrass said.

What a crock of bull sh*t.
Agreed, we have run the CVNP in much worse weather and hills you could barely get up. It's not a safety issue until the lightning starts.
Old 11-01-18, 12:51 PM
All District

SLS is on a distinguished road
Move it to another location now. Maybe delay it one day or two. It can be done. Oh! Wait! It's only cross country!
Old 11-01-18, 12:53 PM
Lancers lead the way!

What happens if the same amount of water is on the course for next week. Does that mean a November 17th date?
Old 11-01-18, 12:54 PM
Varsity

wolsey737 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
What happens if the same amount of water is on the course for next week. Does that mean a November 17th date?

That would actually be better I think!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-18, 12:55 PM
Varsity

wolsey737 is on a distinguished road
Although the forecast looks good next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-18, 12:56 PM
Freshman

Old Runner is on a distinguished road
I would encourage everyone to call Dale Gabor, our Ohio High School Athletic Association tournament manager and demand answers at (440) 829-9913.

I have a very hard time that this fine gentleman would not have a contingency plan. After all, I know that I was watching the Hebron forecast the past ten days and understood there would be much rain. Could they not rent equipment to pump the water off the course? Could they not rent construction rollers for the course to pack it down in-between races? Could they not use the entire parking lot for bus and car traffic which is never completely full. Can you shuttle people in other parking lots a few miles away if you are worried about cars getting stuck. That's right, this is the same organization that announced the course was changed about ten days ago. Bottom line - They have never cared about Cross Country.
Old 11-01-18, 01:01 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Runner View Post
I would encourage everyone to call Dale Gabor, our Ohio High School Athletic Association tournament manager and demand answers at (440) 829-9913.

I have a very hard time that this fine gentleman would not have a contingency plan. After all, I know that I was watching the Hebron forecast the past ten days and understood there would be much rain. Could they not rent equipment to pump the water off the course? Could they not rent construction rollers for the course to pack it down in-between races? Could they not use the entire parking lot for bus and car traffic which is never completely full. Can you shuttle people in other parking lots a few miles away if you are worried about cars getting stuck. That's right, this is the same organization that announced the course was changed about ten days ago. Bottom line - They have never cared about Cross Country.

Exactly....
Old 11-01-18, 01:12 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Is the change in the course ten days ago responsible for creating craters where water can pool up?
Old 11-01-18, 01:17 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Is the change in the course ten days ago responsible for creating craters where water can pool up?
thought that also. My guess is the low part along the drag strip by the billboard is under water
Old 11-01-18, 01:21 PM
Varsity

Percidae is on a distinguished road
Quote:
exactly......I am sure that the state football games wouldnt be changed due to field conditions
Oh contraire. Several games are being moved from grass (home fields) to turf (more neutral fields) due to the rain.

My question is will there be teams, mainly some of the high flying D1 girls teams, that opt out of the state mean to attend NXN?
Old 11-01-18, 01:22 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Quote:
Top Studs?

Nike is taking a total of five more to the national meet which will be selected similar to the four at large teams which go in that a committee will look at all the regional meets to determine those five at large individuals in both the boys and the girls. http://nxn.runnerspace.com/eprofile....news_id=545877