Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-15-18, 11:38 AM
Freshman

GORUN1600 is on a distinguished road
Foot locker and nike

How high can the ohio kids place at nationals this year? Obviously foot locker kids still have to qualify but who is gonna represent ohio the best?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-18, 12:44 PM
All American

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Girls NIKE
Taylor Ewert
*Returning All American

Boys NIKE
Vince Mauri
Adkins
Conant Smith-if he gets and accepts the at-large bid
*Returning All American

Footlocker-TBA
I would assume this would have more Ohioans than in recent years.
Conant Smith said he was running the qualifier.
I would assume Emma Bucher, Gracie Sprankle, and Bardwell all run.
Old 11-15-18, 01:56 PM
Freshman

I hope that ewert can recover after back to back days at state and nxn. I can see her being in the top 5 and battling... in a year where there aren't so many super talented girls I'd think she'd be in the hunt to win. I think tuohy is unbeatable right now. I think the race will be for second realistically.
Old 11-15-18, 02:58 PM
All District

claynation is on a distinguished road
Conant is good enough to win FL and/or NXN.
Old 11-15-18, 03:59 PM
Freshman

Clay nation I think he's capable of top 5... but he always seems to run his best when it counts so I hope i'm wrong and he goes out and wins it! He had no business being in Horters pocket at the finish of the state meet last year and did it anyway!
Old 11-25-18, 02:11 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Ewert only Ohio runner to get out of FL Midwest, 2nd in 18:08.9
Old 11-25-18, 04:42 PM
All American

madman is on a distinguished road
In general, I think there's less elite talent nationally on the boys side than there has been for several years. Between that and the pull of NXN, I expected the qualifying for FLN to be more modest this year, but I never thought I would see the day when no one ran sub-16 at FLMW.

The FLMW course conditions had to be brutal. I've been there when it's muddy, windy, and cold and guys still ran around 15-flat.

I haven't talked to any of them, but I am guessing Smith and Mauri sort of packed it in when they saw the conditions - they've already punched their ticket to NXN. I would guess that the course ran about a minute slower than normal for those up front.

Competitors you're mostly unfamiliar with, no team results on the line, PRs out of the question, tough competition making a top 10 finish unlikely... It's not hard to imagine why some of their times were far more than a minute slower than normal.

Overall this was a tough season. Brutal heat and humidity early. Cold, damp conditions late. A state meet that was delayed. Mentally there may have been more stressors than normal. The outcome for the Ohio boys should not be that surprising.

That being said, cudos to Taylor Ewert!
Old 11-25-18, 05:24 PM
Junior Varsity

Qualifer17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
In general, I think there's less elite talent nationally on the boys side than there has been for several years. Between that and the pull of NXN, I expected the qualifying for FLN to be more modest this year, but I never thought I would see the day when no one ran sub-16 at FLMW.

The FLMW course conditions had to be brutal. I've been there when it's muddy, windy, and cold and guys still ran around 15-flat.

I haven't talked to any of them, but I am guessing Smith and Mauri sort of packed it in when they saw the conditions - they've already punched their ticket to NXN. I would guess that the course ran about a minute slower than normal for those up front.

Competitors you're mostly unfamiliar with, no team results on the line, PRs out of the question, tough competition making a top 10 finish unlikely... It's not hard to imagine why some of their times were far more than a minute slower than normal.

Overall this was a tough season. Brutal heat and humidity early. Cold, damp conditions late. A state meet that was delayed. Mentally there may have been more stressors than normal. The outcome for the Ohio boys should not be that surprising.

That being said, cudos to Taylor Ewert!
Insane efforts by Ewert on Saturday. The course was beat up. For any of you who were at Watkins this year, FL made that look nice. The start didnít appear to be that bad. But around .8, the mud just slowed the race. It was up to the racers ankles and by the looks of the faces, every step was a chore. Iím sure, based on this level of talent we had, without these miserable conditions, at least a minute couldíve been dropped from their times.

Iím still amazed Hocker ran what he did. He sat back with Bosley for some of the race and once they got down the final hill, he blazed by him. He had a lot left. Wouldíve been interesting to see him truly tested. An obvious threat after winning FL and NXR MW.

Conditions this year for Ohio runners was just unfournate. Other than the first 2 weeks of the season, either it was rainy, muddy, or brutally hot. But hey, itís Cross Country. Gotta love the sport.
Old 11-26-18, 10:11 AM
Freshman

oncearunner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualifer17 View Post
Insane efforts by Ewert on Saturday. The course was beat up. For any of you who were at Watkins this year, FL made that look nice.
No. C'mon... I just watched the video of FL and saw the guy leaders come through the mile in just over 5:00, having decent footing and turnover.

You must not have been at Watkins.
Old 11-26-18, 09:03 PM
Freshman

what happened to Conant? did he fall? i thought he'd be in the top 5 with a chance to win FL MW.
Old 11-27-18, 07:29 AM
Varsity

wolsey737 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORUN1600 View Post
what happened to Conant? did he fall? i thought he'd be in the top 5 with a chance to win FL MW.

1.5 miles in he sprained his foot. He finished the race but could not put pressure on his foot after the race. Disappointing end to his awesome season!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-18, 10:22 AM
All District

claynation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolsey737 View Post
1.5 miles in he sprained his foot. He finished the race but could not put pressure on his foot after the race. Disappointing end to his awesome season!!

Explains why he unfortunately had to turn down an at-large berth to NXN.
Old 11-27-18, 04:13 PM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolsey737 View Post
Did it happen while coming down the hill? Definitely one of the faster parts of the course.
Old 11-27-18, 04:22 PM
Varsity

wolsey737 is on a distinguished road
Foot locker and nike

Quote:
Originally Posted by said_aouita View Post
Did it happen while coming down the hill? Definitely one of the faster parts of the course.

Not sure. He just said it was about 1.5 miles in to the race.

Last edited by wolsey737; 11-27-18 at 04:55 PM..
Old 11-29-18, 05:11 PM
Freshman

VERY sorry to hear that! I hope he recovers quick and comes back super hungry this spring!
Old 12-02-18, 11:25 AM
Freshman

CONGRATS TO TAYLOR EWERT ON A 3RD PLACE FINISH! Also did anyone catch the genius move she made at around 2.5 miles or so? She was running with another girl and the girl was on her shoulder. Taylor glanced over, saw the girl there, backed off for 2 or 3 strides and let the girl do the work while she sat on her, until it was time to kick, i was EXTREMELY impressed by that especially given that she has pretty much been all alone all season!
Old 12-02-18, 09:46 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORUN1600 View Post
CONGRATS TO TAYLOR EWERT ON A 3RD PLACE FINISH! Also did anyone catch the genius move she made at around 2.5 miles or so? She was running with another girl and the girl was on her shoulder. Taylor glanced over, saw the girl there, backed off for 2 or 3 strides and let the girl do the work while she sat on her, until it was time to kick, i was EXTREMELY impressed by that especially given that she has pretty much been all alone all season!
Overall very smart young woman. I watch her interviews and am amazed by her composure and demeanor. She could be one of the best every from Ohio.
Old 12-03-18, 12:13 AM
Freshman

Agreed!
Old 12-03-18, 02:42 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Complete results and live streaming here

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2018/12/...g-information/
Old 12-03-18, 11:35 AM
All Region

gatornation is on a distinguished road
Did you all notice that Nike Midwest will be on a Saturday next year, Nov 16th? Will that cause a decrease in participation? Will schools allow for an excused absence for a non OHSAA event to leave Friday? Travel for some is quite a bit aways.
Old 12-03-18, 12:01 PM
All American

You don't represent your school at NXN, so it's not a school sports trip. It's more like a family vacation. If your parents choose to excuse you from school, you're excused.

Additionally since Indiana is continguous with Ohio, you could be excused early even if it was an OHSAA sanctioned event.
Old 12-03-18, 02:17 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
You don't represent your school at NXN, so it's not a school sports trip. It's more like a family vacation. If your parents choose to excuse you from school, you're excused.

Additionally since Indiana is continguous with Ohio, you could be excused early even if it was an OHSAA sanctioned event.
Many schools around where I live treat NXR and postseason running under the umbrella of Indoor Track and field. The verbiage in OHSAA lets the indoor season run throughout the entire school calendar year. And, if needed runs through the summer. Lawyer speak:

Does the opening date for coaching to begin in Outdoor Track and Field apply to schools
sponsoring indoor track and field?

No. The regulation adopted applies only to track and field as
an outdoor sport. Indoor track and field is a non-recognized (non-tournament) sport. This means
that schools sponsoring the sport must set their own dates for the season length and for number of
contests permitted.

ē What procedures must be followed for those schools desiring to compete in indoor track and
field? Due to a change in a Bylaw, there are no longer any requirements that schools comply with
the Bylaws and applicable sports regulations of the OHSAA in non-recognized sports. The
following steps are suggested to assist schools that may want to sponsor an indoor track and field
program:
Old 12-04-18, 03:03 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
So, if you sponsor indoor track, you can have year round full football practices? I don't believe that! How can indoor track be used for CC? Not even close. I think if schools are doing that, it's dead wrong.
Old 12-06-18, 12:05 PM
All Region

Is there a rule that if you do indoor track you have to run one indoor meet or you are ineligible for outdoor track?
Old 12-06-18, 05:42 PM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatornation View Post
Is there a rule that if you do indoor track you have to run one indoor meet or you are ineligible for outdoor track?
As has been mentioned, indoor track is NOT recognized by OHSAA: they have no governance over the sport. Period. You are free to do as you will, even compete against professionals and collegians if you are of that caliber.
Old 12-06-18, 08:38 PM
All Ohio

Run4Life is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
As has been mentioned, indoor track is NOT recognized by OHSAA: they have no governance over the sport. Period. You are free to do as you will, even compete against professionals and collegians if you are of that caliber.
Before following this I would look over pages 11 and 12 in the track and field manual (unless 2019's publication which is not posted as yet on the OHSAA web site).
Old 12-06-18, 10:38 PM
All Region

Athletes being coached
by their outdoor coach MUST compete in one of these indoor meets, unless the
regulation specified in Sports Regulation 8.2.1 is followed.
8.2.1) Students from school teams receiving individual skill/coaching instruction shall not be
required to participate in sessions where individual skill/coaching instruction is provided. A
paid or unpaid school (interscholastic) coach employed by a Board of Education or similar
governing board violates this regulation when he/she suggests or implies that a studentís
chance to be selected for a school (interscholastic) team is contingent upon this participation
Old 12-08-18, 01:22 PM
All American

The course in Kenosha had to be brutal. Despite no one breaking 16:00 at the Regional meet, the Midwest boys just placed 5 guys in the top 9 at Footlocker Nationals, including the individual winner, Cole Hocker.

The Midwest girls crushed the field as well. Taylor Ewert was 4th.

Last edited by madman; 12-08-18 at 06:07 PM..
Old 12-08-18, 03:48 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Boys results are here: https://ca.milesplit.com/meets/32443...d#.XAwtUdtKhaQ

Girls results are here: https://ca.milesplit.com/meets/32443...d#.XAwtnNtKhaQ
Old 12-11-18, 05:06 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
I still want to know how CC and indoor track can be treated as the same sport? No way that flies and has to be a violation.