Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-08-18, 10:58 AM
Junior Varsity

RunnerAdespota is on a distinguished road
Freelap Timing System?

I hope this is an appropriate post -- do any of you use a Freelap system regularly? What's your experience with it? I'm looking into buying one for these indoor/outdoor seasons, but wondering what packages other coaches bought, if there are other options, and how successful you've been integrating it into practices.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-18, 12:32 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Finishtiming will have your answer
Old 11-08-18, 01:00 PM
All Region

Finishtiming is on a distinguished road
pretty expensive replacement for a stopwatch. We have complete chip systems that cost that and you could use them for cc and road racing. I guess it all depends on what you are using it for and how many athletes you want to track at once but for $149 each athlete it is kind of pricey
Old 11-08-18, 03:09 PM
All American

madman is on a distinguished road
It is pricey but even as a distance coach I think it's well worth the money.

There are many things worth timing that a stop watch can't measure accurately - that variability in the ability to hit the stopwatch to start and stop precisely is often of the same magnitude as the improvement you are trying to measure. This occurs with sprints of distances 100m and less - flying 30s, starts, exchange zones, etc.

We purchased the system with 10 chipped belts and 4 sensors, along with thumb sensors for starts. We don't use them as much as we could, but I think it was still a good investment.

There are programs in Illinois that use the freelap system extensively and post on twitter it seems like nearly every day all year long.
Old 11-08-18, 03:59 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
There are programs in Illinois that use the freelap system extensively and post on twitter it seems like nearly every day all year long.
Yes, those teams and "Feed the Cats" inspired sprint training are what pointed me to it. I switched our sprinters over to it last year for outdoor and had a lot of success. I was using stop watches and the Sprint Timer app on iPad, but I felt limited in what I could do with those.
Old 11-08-18, 04:08 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
We purchased the system with 10 chipped belts and 4 sensors, along with thumb sensors for starts. We don't use them as much as we could, but I think it was still a good investment.
I was only going to get the package with 4 chips. Were 10 necessary for you?

https://store.simplifaster.com/product/freelap-pro-bt424/
Old 11-08-18, 04:21 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finishtiming View Post
pretty expensive replacement for a stopwatch. We have complete chip systems that cost that and you could use them for cc and road racing. I guess it all depends on what you are using it for and how many athletes you want to track at once but for $149 each athlete it is kind of pricey
Do you have a mobile system that can get automatically register a flying start? So I could time a 10 or 20 meter fly?
Old 11-08-18, 05:35 PM
All American

madman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerAdespota View Post
I was only going to get the package with 4 chips. Were 10 necessary for you?

https://store.simplifaster.com/product/freelap-pro-bt424/
I think having more chips is very useful unless you want to spent a bunch of time during practice recording things by hand or trying to keep track of who is using what chip.

The handheld display keeps a log of all times for each chip, so as long as you know who is wearing what chip the entire record of the workout is available electronically.