Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-25-17, 04:24 PM
All American

McClearn7 is on a distinguished road
Mansfield D-2 District Rankings (Off-Season #3)

I love doing these rankings, but as it has been pointed out before, they are just for fun. To any wrestlers who read these and feel that they are ranked too low, you may be right.
I am bound to be wrong on many of the rankings, but fortunately they have absolutely no impact on how anyone will finish at any tournament this season or any other year.

I started moving wrestlers up and down from their previous yearís weights. The new weights are partially based off of where theyíve been wrestling in the off season, though a lot of it is pure guesswork at this time.
Please let me know if anyone has inside information about new weights, schools, or wrestlers that they think should be added.

Iíve tried shifting the wrestlers around from schools that changed divisions. Please let me know if any are wrong, or if Iím forgetting any schools/wrestlers.

* = unsure about participation

-The schools of the incoming freshmen are based off of the previous Yappi thread. Please let me know if any are wrong or have changed.

106-
1. Payton Burgdorf- Firelands (4th state)
2. Jake Manley- Otsego (SQ)
3. Gabe Alda Ė Bellevue (7th middle school state)
4. Caleb Hernandez- Napoleon (SQ)
5. Matt Kaufmann- Fairview (6th district)
6. Ty Spencer- Ontario
7. Tristan Villareal- Defiance
8. Brandon DíEgidio- Vermillion

Manley performed well even as an undersized 106 last season, finishing a bout shy of placement at the state tournament after pinning Jake White in his first consolation bout.
He also beat Antonio Lecki (twice), Mason Hakeos, state qualifier Chase Caprella, and Zack Schaller who he pinned in his go-to-state bout.

113-
1. Gavin Ritter- Wauseon (SQ)
2. Jimmy Balazy- Padua (SQ)
3. Corbin Houdashell- Columbian (5th district)
4. Lincoln Healy- Napoleon
5. Noah Alda- Bellevue
6. Clayton Drummond- St. Maryís Memorial
7. Ronan Gullifer- Upper Sandusky
8. Breden Ganshorn- Galion

Balazy made a big jump during his sophomore year after growing into the weight-class.
He beat state placer Burgdorf 3-1 in the sectional finals a week before finishing 3rd at the district tournament. Balazy also posted a pair of wins over both Nick Sabin and Austin McNamara as well as an 8-5 victory over Jack Stanley in the 7th place final at Brecksville.

120-
1. Nolan Ray/Alex Slattman(5th district 2016)- Wauseon
2. David Ocasio- Brookside
3. Damoni Williams- Mansfield Sen.
4. Connor Eckman- Firelands*
5. Jordan Holt- Perkins (6th district)
6. Mike Morganstern- Clear Fork
7. Connor McCarty- Bay
8. Brock Sautter- Maumee*

I assume that Ray and Slattman will wrestle off here if both can make it down to weight. The loser of the wrestle-off will likely wrestle off state placer Bischoff at 126.
Iím not sure how the matches go in the wrestling room, but Ray beat Bischoff 10-0 in the semifinals of the middle school district tournament in 2016.

126-
1. Jarrett Bischoff- Wauseon (6th state)
2. Brian Shaw- Padua (SQ)
3. Andrew Branson- Columbian (SQ)
4. Logan Schoen- Perkins (5th district)
5. Luke Beach- Wapakoneta (6th district)
6. Jimmy Pelland- Napoleon
7. Brayzin McDaniel- Upper Sandusky
8. Jared Norman- Clyde

Branson beat state qualifier Jakob Neer 8-7 in the Gorman semifinals last year and bested state qualifier Leondre Cooley 5-0 in the NOL finals to claim the title.

132-
1. Caden Blust- Columbian (8th state)
2. Mauricio Barajas- Wauseon (6th district, SQ 2015)
3. Angel Granados- Napoleon (6th district, SQ 2016)
4. Sam Fender- Padua (6th district)
5. Max Rassman- Van Wert
6. Gus Mancuso- Otsego
7. Muhammed Mahdi- Toledo C.C.
8. Lucas McKee- Clyde

Granados posted some very impressive wins last season when he was at his best. He downed state placer Luke Wymer 3-1 at Medina, defeated state qualifier Nick Schneider 9-5 in the NLL finals, and pinned state placer Jayden Hefner in the sectional semifinals.

138-
1. Timothy Grunden- Wauseon (2nd, 3rd state)
2. Gabe Steyer- Van Wert (5th district)
3. Collin Mell- Bath (SQ)
4. Tim Tusick- Padua
5. Jake Bartinelli- Buckeye (SQ 2016)
6. Kaedan Hatlay- Columbian
7. Brody Stallings- Cloverleaf
8. Kalin Zuchowsky- Holy Name

Grundenís transfer to Wauseon is huge in a team sense. Wauseon was already expected to walk away with the district title, but now they move into the #2 spot in D-2 behind Graham.
His addition should make an already intriguing team race even more interesting at Brecksville over the holidays.

145-
1. Hunter Yackee- Wauseon (3rd state)
2. Michael Clark- Buckeye (SQ)
3. Sam LoFaso- Padua (5th district, 6th district 2016)
4. Mason Haas- Maumee (5th district)
5. Nick Smythe- Bellevue
6. Chas Jackson- Brookside*
7. Brad Beemer- Wapakoneta
8. Isaiah Bretz- Van Wert

I underrated LoFaso last year heading into the district tournament, and he finished 5th in a loaded weight-class after knocking off returning state qualifier Angel Granados in the quarterfinals.
His two losses were to state placer Crabtree and Hefner by a combined 3 points. Keep an eye on LoFaso as he makes a push for the podium this season.

152-
1. Sandro Ramirez- Wauseon (2nd, 2nd, 3rd state)
2. D.J. McNett- Defiance (7th state)
3. Justin Mayes Ė Bellevue (2nd middle school state)
4. Calvin Brown- Elida (SQ)
5. John McNulty- Padua
6. Derick Coleman- Clyde (5th district)
7. Justin Schneider- Maumee (6th district)
8. Zach Altman- Napoleon (6th district 2016)

This is an absurdly deep weight-class, especially considering the fact that you have maybe the best wrestler in the district in Ramirez residing here.
Any of the top 8 here could qualify for the state tournament by seasonís end.
We could have 2 state placers, a state qualifier, 3 district placers, and Mayes who was 2nd to Fargo All-American Paddy Gallagher at the middle school state tournament last year.

160-
1. Xavier Torres- Wauseon (SQ)
2. Caleb Cass- Cloverleaf (6th state)
3. Ethan Hernandez- Norwalk (SQ)
4. Lucas Salmon- Perkins (5th district)
5. Nick Jackson- Bowling Green
6. Jarrod Setliff- Buckeye
7. Izaiah Salinas-Diaz- Defiance
8. Jasharein Holliday Ė Huron (5th middle school state)

Hernandez wrestled extremely well last year as a freshman, finishing a bout shy of the state podium, losing only 3-2 to 7th place finisher Ginter.
He actually beat Ginter 8-1 in the NOL finals a few weeks prior and posted wins over state qualifiers Ian Maund and Matt Ross during the season.

170-
1. Noah Clary- Upper Sandusky (SQ)
2. Brahm Ginter- Shelby (7th state)
3. Cory Stallings- Cloverleaf (5th district)
4. Trent Davis- Wauseon
5. Matt Abraham- Padua
6. Alec Montgomery- Clyde
7. Trevor Boyd- Vermillion
8. Logan Muhlenkamp- Celina

Ginter rebounded from a loss to Ethan Hernandez in the conference finals to beat him in the sectional finals, the consolation finals of the district tournament, and the placement match at state.
He also added wins over Gunnar Dawson (4-3) and Ben Davenport (9-5) in Columbus on his way to a 7th place finish.

182-
1. Justin Ocheltree- Keystone (SQ)
2. Sam Hunter- Sandusky
3. Adalberto Vega- Defiance (5th district)
4. Tyler Miller- St. Maryís Memorial
5. Noah Pasquinelli- Maumee
6. Gabe Phillips- Norwalk
7. Evan Kaeck- Wapakoneta
8. Bryce Hart- Cloverleaf

Hunter will be a real threat regardless of which weight he chooses. He placed 5th at the Maumee
Bay Classic last year beating Jansen Love (10-5), state alternate Alex Sadowsky (4-2), and state qualifier Zach Bryant (5-3).

195-
1. Matthew Cover- Bay (SQ)
2. David McCullough- Keystone (5th district, 6th district 2016)
3. Noah Arnett- Defiance
4. Austin Giesige- St. Maryís Memorial
5. Zac Miller- Wapakoneta
6. Quay Brown- Sandusky
7. Ryan Haas- Maumee
8. Noah Eikenberry- Kenton

Cover had a huge summer in Fargo, finishing 2nd after making the Cadet Freestyle national finals and also doubling up and finishing 4th in Greco-Roman.

220-
1. Brandon Phillips- Maumee (2nd state)
2. Tyler Bath- Vermilion (SQ)
3. Samuel Sosa- Wauseon
4. Nathan Barnett- Buckeye (2nd middle school state)
5. Eric Adkins- Bath
6. Korey Blosser- Napoleon
7. Jerrell Wells- Sandusky
8. Roland Eckstein- Cloverleaf

Bath was a state qualifier at 195 last year, though his most impressive win came at 220 where he pinned D-1 state bronze medalist Brandon Myers in the Gorman semifinals.

285-
1. Demarko Craig- Toledo C.C. (7th state)
2. Sean Lipscomb- Firelands
3. Alex Sosa- Wauseon (5th district)
4. A.J. Adams- Lexington*
5. Connor Johnston- Upper Sandusky (5th district, 5th district 2016)
6. Mason Weldon- Galion (SQ)
7. Bobby Grothjan- (Lima) Shawnee
8. Kindal Bustillos- Columbian

Lipscomb posted some big wins last year, pinning Craig twice at Perrysburg and defeating another state placer, Noah Meeker 11-5 in the finals at Defiance.

Adams also earned some impressive victories last year defeating state qualifiers Mo Debyan, Alex Leasure, and Mason Weldon.

Teams:
1. Wauseon
2. Padua
3. Columbian
4. Maumee
5. Napoleon
6. Defiance
7. Firelands
8. Bellevue/Buckeye

Wauseon is even more loaded with the addition of state finalist Grunden to their squad, and they currently have 7 wrestlers (half of the weights) ranked at the top of their weight-class. Thatís a remarkable feat, especially at a deep district such as this one.
Their biggest line-up question mark will be which two wrestlers will occupy the starting spots at 120 and 126 with Slattman, Ray, and Bischoff in a logjam for 2 spots.

Defiance added a state placer with McNett moving in from Otsego, but they lose state finalist Grunden to Wauseon which could hurt their team score and their shot at a team trophy.

Bellevue feels like a team that could end up significantly higher by seasonís end. Theyíll have middle school state finalist Mayes and middle school state placer Alda on their squad who could threaten for state tournament births immediately.

I also like Maumeeís potential to climb the rankings. They have district placer Schneider who is in the middle of a deep weight-class, but he could well finish in the top 3 by seasonís end. Sautter could also finish higher than heís ranked, assuming that he is indeed wrestling again after missing most of last season.
Pasquinelli had some impressive wins over state placer Tanner May and Sam Hunter last season, and could potentially be a district finalist by seasonís end.

A special thanks to Boro Fan for all the insight into the weights of the wrestlers, Baumís Page and Jakeís Wrestling for all of the results that they provide, and to any of the other wrestling nerds that actually read these things.

-Max Pearce
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-17, 11:48 PM
Varsity

Wrestling1 is on a distinguished road
Columbian gained Brock Minnick from Clyde this week to add to their already youthful and deep team at the middle weights. With the addition of him and his younger brother Bret at the Middle School look for Columbian to not only make some noise this year but in years to come.
Old 08-26-17, 07:40 AM
All Region

dion is on a distinguished road
Outside of Wauseon, most of these teams have to be happy they aren't at the Alliance district. Sorry if I offended anyone; just my opinion.
Old 08-26-17, 10:12 PM
All District

biderent is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dion View Post
Outside of Wauseon, most of these teams have to be happy they aren't at the Alliance district. Sorry if I offended anyone; just my opinion.
^^^^ your dumb...
Old 08-27-17, 08:21 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by biderent View Post
^^^^ your dumb...
Sorry you didn't like my OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think it's a reality; not derogatory.
Old 09-06-17, 09:31 AM
Varsity

Irishtony is on a distinguished road
Sorry you're offended that he thinks your opinion sucks. I could argue that your opinion isn't necessarily accurate, given you have the #2 team in division 2, Wauseon, residing here.
Old 09-06-17, 09:56 AM
All Ohio

suplex21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by biderent View Post
^^^^ your dumb...
You are...
Old 09-06-17, 11:29 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtony View Post
Sorry you're offended that he thinks your opinion sucks. I could argue that your opinion isn't necessarily accurate, given you have the #2 team in division 2, Wauseon, residing here.
Did you read in my original post that I said "outside of Wauseon"?
Old 09-06-17, 11:59 AM
Freshman

marcelmarcel is on a distinguished road
Y'all are acting like some little kids...
Old 09-06-17, 01:12 PM
Varsity

Irishtony is on a distinguished road
So tell me again how it's weaker than Alliance.
Old 09-06-17, 01:14 PM
All Region

FunkRoll is on a distinguished road
Have you look at the stats from the state tournament coming out of this district (Mansfield) year in and year out?!?!?!?