Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-16-19, 01:17 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Pay to Play could be covered by the state of ohio if legalized gambling is approved

https://cincinnatienquirer-oh.newsme...id_subscriber&
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-19, 01:29 PM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
Interesting. I have always found the insane jump in pay to play cost to be ludicrous. I graduated in 1999 and it cost me $25 for track. The number has risen 10 fold or more.
Old 03-16-19, 02:55 PM
All American

lane4 is on a distinguished road
Husted has been a long-time critic of pay to play, and advocate of abolishing it.

https://www.cleveland.com/open/2016/...d_to_redu.html

Hopefully something will come of this now that Husted is in a position of influence.

Track is always one of the hardest-hit sports, as cost is often the tipping point for some multi-sport athletes and families that have already paid several hundred dollars per kid in fall and winter fees to just skip it.
Old 03-17-19, 06:41 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
I am not a fan of pay to play fees at all. But if the state is going to outlaw pay to play fees then the state should be providing funding. Otherwise itís just another unfunded mandate. Which has been the case more often than not over the past couple decades.
Old 03-17-19, 09:21 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
THe problem with public schools and sports is that people arent willing to think outside the box. Why dont districts do things like cut transportation for events that are more local? Most schools tens of thousands and up to $100,000 in transportation for away games.

Every kid seems to make it to their REC games from the ages of 5 to 15 just fine by their parents.

Why not get out of conferences where the travel is hours. Ticket gates dont make any money when nobody goes to games.

Now as for track since its in the spring, alot of people arent willing to pay for another sport at $250+. Also most communities are already fundraised to the bone and track programs dont get into making anything.
Old 03-17-19, 09:21 AM
All American

lane4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
... if the state is going to outlaw pay to play fees then the state should be providing funding.

That's what Husted's plan would do - devote tax revenue from a potential legalization of sports betting(now working it's way through the legislature) to eliminating extracurricular participation fees.
Old 03-17-19, 02:16 PM
All American

madman is on a distinguished road
Either sports are a valuable part of the educational experience and should be available to all without regard to ability to pay or they should not be paid for at all by public schools.

Can you imagine if we made public school students pay for their classes or told them they couldn't take them? (I suppose we do that to some degree with AP courses and course fees for consumables, but there is at least some fee reduction available for those struggling financially.)

I am not a fan of our current situation where kids from lower socieo-economic situations (often single-parent households) are deterred from being involved in situations where they can be supported by another caring adult and teammates.

I'm not sure whether to consider this proposal a necessary evil to enable access for all or an intrusion of state government into what should be local decisions.
Old 03-17-19, 04:37 PM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
There is value in partcipating in sports, drama and many other extra curricular activities. District should be finding ways to make it work, not to make it so damn expensive that you have to choose.
Old 03-17-19, 05:47 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane4 View Post
That's what Husted's plan would do - devote tax revenue from a potential legalization of sports betting(now working it's way through the legislature) to eliminating extracurricular participation fees.

Which will be great if thatís what actually happens. I am all for it, and willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and support this. But I wonít hold my breath. Remember when the lottery money was supposed to go to education? It did, but the state basically just cut other money from the general fund. So the lottery did not increase net education spending. So I hope this plan is implemented as advertised, but it wonít surprise me if there is no new net money.
Old 03-17-19, 06:02 PM
All Ohio

Run4Life is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
Which will be great if that’s what actually happens. I am all for it, and willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and support this. But I won’t hold my breath. Remember when the lottery money was supposed to go to education? It did, but the state basically just cut other money from the general fund. So the lottery did not increase net education spending. So I hope this plan is implemented as advertised, but it won’t surprise me if there is no new net money.
And actually tied hands on where the tax monies could be used in schools, further restricting money that was earmarked for their use.
Old 03-17-19, 06:12 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4Life View Post
And actually tied hands on where the tax monies could be used in schools, further restricting money that was earmarked for their use.

Yes. Which is one thing I worry about here. I also heard some radio discussion from legislators that they might give money based on current pay to play. Which would essentially mean lots of money to wealthier suburban districts that donít vote for school levies.
Old 03-18-19, 11:24 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Too many issues to even touch half of on this topic. I coach, but do not teach. I can tell you that athletics is as important as any classes that kids take. Any of us that work for or with people that do not know the lessons of teamwork or setting goals or visualizing or any of the other lessons sports teach, can tell you how important athletics are to a persons education. I almost think it should be mandated. I really do.

I am friends with a couple of school treasurer's and it's laughable how the numbers are arrived at for pay to play. There are districts where they only charge a fraction of what it really costs for football or hockey and then twice the amount of what it costs for track or cross country or volleyball etc. They will charge for football players to play, but not for the marching band. One treasurer told me the band transportation costs were nearly double the football team they supported. More kids in the band plus an extra bus for instruments had them taking 2 extra buses every away game.

Wasn't it only about 30 years ago that the Ohio Supreme Court ruled that how Ohio funds schools is against the Ohio Constitution. And here we are still funding schools the same way.
Old 03-18-19, 11:58 AM
All Region

Blondie is on a distinguished road
Sure it will, just like the Lottery funds the state's schools. (Sarcasm !)
Old 03-18-19, 12:12 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Too many issues to even touch half of on this topic. I coach, but do not teach. I can tell you that athletics is as important as any classes that kids take. Any of us that work for or with people that do not know the lessons of teamwork or setting goals or visualizing or any of the other lessons sports teach, can tell you how important athletics are to a persons education. I almost think it should be mandated. I really do.

I am friends with a couple of school treasurer's and it's laughable how the numbers are arrived at for pay to play. There are districts where they only charge a fraction of what it really costs for football or hockey and then twice the amount of what it costs for track or cross country or volleyball etc. They will charge for football players to play, but not for the marching band. One treasurer told me the band transportation costs were nearly double the football team they supported. More kids in the band plus an extra bus for instruments had them taking 2 extra buses every away game.

Wasn't it only about 30 years ago that the Ohio Supreme Court ruled that how Ohio funds schools is against the Ohio Constitution. And here we are still funding schools the same way.
School funding is a joke. Always been. Coventry fought the good fight: https://www.ohio.com/news/20180413/f...district-label. But we will continue to get gypped by the state, and will continue to get less funding per student then Green.