Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-06-19, 07:35 AM
All World

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
The Good Ole' Days

I lifted the pic (below) from the '77 Princeton HS Yearbook. I remember vaulting onto that pit when they had the Summer Track Series at Princeton in the late 70s. Back then, we were all teaching ourselves to vault. There were NO vault coaches back then that had any experience themselves with fiberglass, and there was NO certification program. It was definitely a learn-by-doing trial-and-error experience. That is NOT me in the photo.

The pits were a lot smaller then, too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SNC03957.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	2835  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-19, 08:56 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
I wasn't alive yet, but I think my school's HJ and PV pits were still sawdust back then. I may have to do some looking for pics in old yearbooks. I do recall that my stadium's old configuration had the PV and HV behind the visiting stands. Long jump may have been back there as well but was next to either a ticket booth or concession stand. Shot put was off in some corner of the stadium, and discus was across the stadium parking lot. The track itself was 4 lanes of asphalt and was only 400 yds, maybe longer. All I remember was that the head timer kept moving farther up the frontstretch for each "lap" split of the 1600, so it was short of 400m per lap. From what others have told me from back then, my school was still using the triangular metal bar for HJ. Heaven help you if you had a failed attempt with one of those.

Upon reconfiguration, we had 8 lanes of rubber all the way around, 400m in distance, and 10 lanes on the front straight (don't recall ever using all 10 lanes). Shot put joined discus across the parking lot, 2 long jump pits are located on the backstretch inside of lane 1, HJ is inside one curve, and PV is inside the other curve.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 03-06-19 at 11:12 AM..
Old 03-06-19, 10:43 AM
All World

I vaulted over both steel & aluminum crossbars for the first 5 years of my vaulting "career" between '78-'82. More than once I landed on them. Also had them fall on my head a few times. Worse than landing on them was trying to straighten them out afterward! A fruitless endeavor if there ever was one.

Fiberglass crossbars really started making themselves known in Cincinnati around '82. By '85, metal bars were being given away. I know because Jim Wright gave me a 1/2 dozen of them, two of which I still have and am looking to get rid of to someone who wants them.

My father helped DIG his high school's first pole vault pit and filled it with a mixture of sand/sawdust back in 1960. Set his HS school record of 10' 8" in 1962 vaulting with a Swedish steel pole.
Old 03-08-19, 10:18 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
What do you think the standards were set at? A little easier to set standards today. Mine used to be in the negatives after I was done running the 4x800, 1600 and 800
Old 03-08-19, 10:26 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
What do you think the standards were set at? A little easier to set standards today. Mine used to be in the negatives after I was done running the 4x800, 1600 and 800
In that photo, standards appear to be about a foot deep. If memory serves me correctly, I remember a +/- 24" variance either side of the box. I know that I more than once had standards set in the -6" to -12" early on. They became deeper as vaulted higher over the years, of course.

For the youngsters out there, minus readings used to be normal and came from the pre-fiberglass days when vaulting poles did NOT reach vertical for the most part. In fact, it used to be illegal for poles to pass under the crossbar...Bob Gutowski lost a world record to that stupid rule in 1957.
Old 03-08-19, 11:44 AM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
If memory serves me correctly, I remember a +/- 24" variance either side of the box.
I thought it was -12 to +12 inches. But, that was well before my time. The worst I remember was 12 to 30 inches.
Old 03-25-19, 01:29 PM
Junior Varsity

Throwscoach is on a distinguished road
Javman83 I believe that we have about 20 of the hurdles in the background of your picture still in storage just in case.
Old 03-25-19, 02:35 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwscoach View Post
Javman83 I believe that we have about 20 of the hurdles in the background of your picture still in storage just in case.
I think I'll pass on that!

Those hurdles were not to be messed with when hurdling! One firm hit and you were down Kids these days have it easy compared to decades past. The sport used to have some element of danger in it
Old 03-25-19, 03:06 PM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
I think it was 1972 when our middle school coaches put us on a bus and drove us to Princeton so we could see an all-weather track in person.
Old 03-26-19, 07:03 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Even in the 80's, I ran nearly every meet on cinders until the league, Sectional, District and State. My times improved drastically.
Old 03-26-19, 07:41 AM
All World

1980-83, my era, never competed on cinders. Every meet we had was on synthetic, or as the terminology of the day back then said, "all-weather". However, those all-weather tracks back then were almost as hard as asphalt until we reached the Dayton Regional. The old black synthetic tracks were great for sprinting, but looking back on it, were terrible for distance races and especially for training. Beat the shins up pretty good. I know I had shin splits for 6+ years from being forced to do plyos on those surfaces.
Old 03-26-19, 08:55 AM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
I only ran one meet on an all-weather track. The 1971-1972 Bellaire Relays. We had large pieces of cut foam as our PV pit. We also owned one bamboo pole.
Old 03-26-19, 09:29 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:

Those hurdles were not to be messed with when hurdling! One firm hit and you were down Kids these days have it easy compared to decades past. The sport used to have some element of danger in it
My athletes have never seen the old hurdles that are in storage. Up until this year though we did train on a limestone oval that we called a track. Today we open up on a brand new all weather track for the first time ever.

Last edited by Throwscoach; 03-26-19 at 10:30 AM..
Old 03-26-19, 09:48 AM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Real distance runners love training on cinder.
Old 03-26-19, 10:24 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by said_aouita View Post
Real distance runners love training on cinder.
Has anyone done any training in water for their distance runners to avoid the pitfalls of pounding the pavements every day?
Old 03-26-19, 11:36 AM
All World

Quote:
My athletes have never seen the old hurdles that are in storage. Up until this year though we did train on a limestone oval that we called a track. Today we open up on a brand new all weather track for the first time ever.
You ought to drag one of those hurdles out one day and show them what real hurdlers had to go over back in the day! Hah hah!
Old 03-26-19, 12:02 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
You ought to drag one of those hurdles out one day and show them what real hurdlers had to go over back in the day! Hah hah!
If one of the hurdles breaks tonight it will be replaced by the old one.
Old 03-26-19, 12:50 PM
All Region

billcarson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvctrackfan View Post
I only ran one meet on an all-weather track. The 1971-1972 Bellaire Relays. We had large pieces of cut foam as our PV pit. We also owned one bamboo pole.
We ran there in 72, and 73. very windy if I remember. Our coach must have found all of the All Weather tracks as I only remember one nondual meet on a
cinder track, the Tri State Night meet at Austintown Fitch
Old 03-26-19, 02:47 PM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
BillCarson by any chance did you run the 4x800 relay in “72”
Old 03-26-19, 03:39 PM
All Region

billcarson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvctrackfan View Post
BillCarson by any chance did you run the 4x800 relay in 72
Sorry, but I really don't remember. I lost a 2 man time trial a few days before Mansfield and was dumped from the 4x880yds, so I doubt the coach put me back on it for Bellaire. I probably ran the 2 mile that day.
Old 03-26-19, 06:34 PM
All World

Quote:
If one of the hurdles breaks tonight it will be replaced by the old one.
Old 03-27-19, 11:44 AM
All Region

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
In late 80's ran on a cinder track that was built around a baseball field. Needless to say it was not an oval. I believe it might have been at New Breman.
Old 03-27-19, 12:05 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
My school had a cinder track around the football practice field until the early '70s. It got vandalized but was replaced and used for a couple more years. It's a bit overgrown, but most of it is still visible. The bottom curve disappeared when our varsity baseball field was built around 2000. The outfield fence cuts right through where the bottom turn would be. Our XC course still utilizes much of the backstretch of the cinder track as a way to pay homage to our past. A track wasn't built in the stadium until 1976. It was 4 lanes of asphalt and probably only 400 yards. I recall getting each lap split further up the track. All field events except discus were also held inside the stadium walls until major renovations occurred in 1998.

I ran on cinders at Green HS (yeah, the DI school near Akron) in the late '90s, and Canton South also had a cinder track when we went to their mini relays in the late '90s. Hoover still has a cinder track around its football practice field, but I'm hearing their AD may have big plans for that area.
Old 04-01-19, 04:44 PM
All Ohio

TCSoup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I vaulted over both steel & aluminum crossbars for the first 5 years of my vaulting "career" between '78-'82. More than once I landed on them. Also had them fall on my head a few times. Worse than landing on them was trying to straighten them out afterward! A fruitless endeavor if there ever was one.

Fiberglass crossbars really started making themselves known in Cincinnati around '82. By '85, metal bars were being given away. I know because Jim Wright gave me a 1/2 dozen of them, two of which I still have and am looking to get rid of to someone who wants them.

My father helped DIG his high school's first pole vault pit and filled it with a mixture of sand/sawdust back in 1960. Set his HS school record of 10' 8" in 1962 vaulting with a Swedish steel pole.
I started out with a Steel Pole back in spring of 73 , we had to walk across the street and about a quarter mile back to the Public schools track to practice.
My teammates called it the Lightening rod and wouldn't walk anywhere near me if there was a threat of rain in the area. LOL
Old 04-01-19, 04:47 PM
All Ohio

Quote:

not to mention cinder tracks.
Every time one of are Hurdlers went down we chuckled knowing they just got another gritter as we called them back then, of course they got the last laugh on me we i missed the pit PV and broke my wrist ended a good Junior year. errrr
Old 04-01-19, 04:49 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCSoup View Post
I started out with a Steel Pole back in spring of 73 , we had to walk across the street and about a quarter mile back to the Public schools track to practice.
My teammates called it the Lightening rod and wouldn't walk anywhere near me if there was a threat of rain in the area. LOL
Interesting...where in the name of Sam Hill did you go to school? Fiberglass poles had already been on the market to high schools for at least a decade at that point.
Old 04-01-19, 04:53 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCSoup View Post
not to mention cinder tracks.
Every time one of are Hurdlers went down we chuckled knowing they just got another gritter as we called them back then, of course they got the last laugh on me we i missed the pit PV and broke my wrist ended a good Junior year. errrr
I know of a number of older athletes that have cinders still in their bodies from encounters with the tracks.

As for missing vault mats, been there done that as well. Spring of 1980 (freshmen) I bisected the landing mats at Reading HS as there was no cover. Hit the seam perfectly, sank directly thru with my left heel, and WHAM! It was bruised for 2 weeks, and back then I was determined not to let that stop me. I learned to take off my right foot (I'm right-handed) for a few meets and managed to clear a few heights. I've also seen guys bust up their elbows and other body parts missing pits, too.
Old 04-03-19, 06:50 PM
All American

dig it is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
My school had a cinder track around the football practice field until the early '70s. It got vandalized but was replaced and used for a couple more years. It's a bit overgrown, but most of it is still visible. The bottom curve disappeared when our varsity baseball field was built around 2000. The outfield fence cuts right through where the bottom turn would be. Our XC course still utilizes much of the backstretch of the cinder track as a way to pay homage to our past. A track wasn't built in the stadium until 1976. It was 4 lanes of asphalt and probably only 400 yards. I recall getting each lap split further up the track. All field events except discus were also held inside the stadium walls until major renovations occurred in 1998.

I ran on cinders at Green HS (yeah, the DI school near Akron) in the late '90s, and Canton South also had a cinder track when we went to their mini relays in the late '90s. Hoover still has a cinder track around its football practice field, but I'm hearing their AD may have big plans for that area.
I graduated from Carrollton in 77. We didn't even have a track...just some oak trees to run around that were roughly a 440 up at the old field on 5th street. Before the season started we had to borrow Malvern's cinder track to get some times to see who would run what. We did okay for having absolutely no facilities.
Old 04-04-19, 02:26 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Interesting...where in the name of Sam Hill did you go to school? Fiberglass poles had already been on the market to high schools for at least a decade at that point.
It was a Private in Columbus .
We had a couple of brothers who were upperclassman who got the Fiber glass Poles. They taught me.
Problem was the School wasn't going to buy a Pole for a light weight Freshman.
My Sophomore year my Dad who was a Field Events Coach just bought one for me himself.
I bought my 2nd Pole myself from another Vaulter from another School, Then my Senior Year got a Pacer which the School helped buy.
I took that one with me and Vaulted a few years at a D3 College.
I wrestled and only weight 125 Tops as a Sophomore in College.
So my Poles weren't really useful to anyone else.
Now they would be perfect for Female Vaulters .
Old 04-04-19, 02:29 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I know of a number of older athletes that have cinders still in their bodies from encounters with the tracks.

As for missing vault mats, been there done that as well. Spring of 1980 (freshmen) I bisected the landing mats at Reading HS as there was no cover. Hit the seam perfectly, sank directly thru with my left heel, and WHAM! It was bruised for 2 weeks, and back then I was determined not to let that stop me. I learned to take off my right foot (I'm right-handed) for a few meets and managed to clear a few heights. I've also seen guys bust up their elbows and other body parts missing pits, too.
Oh the Crazy stories of Vaulters I swear half of us were deranged anyways.

My old HS Catholic League outlawed Pole Vaulting. Said Insurance and Liability was to high.
So my Indoor Record will never be broken.

So I got that going for me. LOl