Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-09-19, 08:29 PM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
Sprint Eight is one such system. Regularly used at grade school meets here in Cincinnati. One plunger to start the timing, 8 individual plungers depressed as place/lane finishes. Not sure what name it started out as.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-19, 09:25 PM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
I work with a school that uses an Omnisport console that connects to their Daktronics scoreboard. Same idea. One plunger to start the clock and eight to stop it. Works great for sprints, but they can only get eight times for the distance races on it, so we usually break out the Seiko printing watch for anything with more than 8 competitors/relays.
Old 04-09-19, 10:36 PM
All American

madman is on a distinguished road
If they simply change the Omnisport console over to non-lane timing, a toggle done by a button push, they could time everyone who crosses the line - a single plunger is pushed for every runner who crosses the line.
Old 04-10-19, 06:14 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
I still do not understand the personal attack on someone being appropriate here. We chose to enter meets and not enter meets for many reasons that as a coaching staff we evaluate every season. We have dropped meets for great reasons and some pretty stupid reasons too. Many meets have come and gone. I do not see the point of personally attacking anyone over a track meet.
Old 04-10-19, 06:34 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
If they simply change the Omnisport console over to non-lane timing, a toggle done by a button push, they could time everyone who crosses the line - a single plunger is pushed for every runner who crosses the line.
Thank you madman. When I'm back there later this season, I'll see if we can make that happen.
Old 04-10-19, 11:42 AM
All World

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
I still do not understand the personal attack on someone being appropriate here. We chose to enter meets and not enter meets for many reasons that as a coaching staff we evaluate every season. We have dropped meets for great reasons and some pretty stupid reasons too. Many meets have come and gone. I do not see the point of personally attacking anyone over a track meet.
While I'm not sure of the original intent of the poster to attack Mr. Gerstner personally, I would agree that personal attacks should have nothing to do with the forum. We can all debate about the decisions officials, parents, managers, timing companies make with respect to the sport - that is to be expected and is healthy. Personal attacks shouldn't be part of the forum. I hope that wasn't the purpose of the original post.
Old 04-10-19, 01:01 PM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Giving opinions on decisions made by a meet manager are not "personal" attacks. It's no different than discussing decisions made by regional or state meet managers. I don't see anything posted about the individual outside of his professional decisions.
Old 04-10-19, 08:39 PM
All World

"What a joke! How can you run a meet with no relays and call it the Coaches Classic. Gerstner has tried to ruin this meet and he's done a great job at it. This used to be the most prestigious meet in SW Ohio. Now teams are dropping out of this meet because of Gerstner."

Oh yeah, MY BAD! I guess using his name and saying that teams were dropping out because of him tricked me into thinking it was a personal attack. Who would take that personally?
Old 04-10-19, 08:58 PM
All American

Quote:
"Gerstner has tried to ruin this meet and he's done a great job at it."
I'm not from the SW, and I know nothing about these people, teams, or meet. But, as an objective third party, this specific sentence crossed a line in my opinion.
Old 04-10-19, 09:23 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
I'm not from the SW, and I know nothing about these people, teams, or meet. But, as an objective third party, this specific sentence crossed a line in my opinion.
Psychodad was using such a statement to his earlier point about keeping personal attacks out of this forum. Best to read the whole thread to understand where everyone stands.
Old 04-11-19, 06:35 AM
All American

I understood perfectly. When I first read the OP, which is what psycho_dad quoted, I felt that specific sentence was over the top. I was supporting psycho_dad's position about personal attacks.
Old 04-11-19, 08:33 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
I agree with psychodad and Altor. The comments were a personal attack. I have certainly vented about meets before. But I have not encountered many people in my coaching career who were intentionally trying to create a bad experience with the meet they were running.
Old 04-11-19, 09:27 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
I understood perfectly. When I first read the OP, which is what psycho_dad quoted, I felt that specific sentence was over the top. I was supporting psycho_dad's position about personal attacks.
I apologize for misunderstanding your earlier statement.
Old 04-11-19, 09:28 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
I agree with psychodad and Altor. The comments were a personal attack. I have certainly vented about meets before. But I have not encountered many people in my coaching career who were intentionally trying to create a bad experience with the meet they were running.
I agree. It would be truly something if someone were deliberately trying to create a bad experience. That would be something.
Old 04-11-19, 10:20 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
In defense of Mark and his timing company ghgtiming, he has done what I consider good things with this event. There are now actually three parts to this meet. When the meet first started there was one division and four qualifying meets two days before the finals. Like Javman states, the meet was dominated by certain schools such as Mason and La Salle when they were in their heyday. it had become an "all star" meet.

1. A good thing done on Mark's watch was that he stsarted a second meet called the DII/DIII coaches classic. This event has been held on the Saturday after the DI finals at McNicholas high school. This year's DII/DIII meet had 18 teams score points in 17 events including relays.. https://timerhub.com/getHytResults.p...190406F034.htm

On the other hand the DI meet now a one day meet with all timed finals and no qualifiying meets like the origninal system This meet had 13 teams score in 13 events allowing four entries per events with no relays. https://timerhub.com/getHytResults.p...170407F034.htm

2. Also on Mark's watch another good thing is that he initiated the JV Coaches Classic with two meets being held the Wednesday before the varsity meets on Friday and Saturday. The meet at Ross had seven teams with the same format of four individual entrants with no relays. https://timerhub.com/getHytResults.p...190403F034.htm
Old 04-11-19, 11:53 AM
Lancers lead the way!

This meet was started in 2000. Ghgtiming didn't even exist until November 19, 2008, The first time this meet was timed by ghgtiming was 2009. That was probably the first year the timing was FAT. The method used before that was semi-automatic. It's what I called plunger timing. I'm pretty sure that lane4 put together a list of the winners around 2012 and a top ten list for this meet in each event. Updates after 2012, anyone?

Last edited by Lancermania; 04-11-19 at 12:05 PM..
Old 04-11-19, 12:00 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
This meet was started in 2000. Ghgtiming didn't even exist until November 19, 2008, The first time this meet was timed by ghgtiming was 2009. I'm pretty ssure that lane4 put together a list of the winners around 2012 and a top ten list for this meet.
I was coaching at Walnut Hills when the meet started. The general idea seemed pretty good. Get everyone to compete and have a meet where a lot of the best athletes in SW Ohio got to run against each other early in the season. The different locations qualifying format did make it interesting. I remember talking to the girls head coach and we presented it to the kids as something akin to qualifying from the district meet to the regional. Finish in the top four. It was a meet where we could get them to buy into racing their opponents.
Old 04-11-19, 12:18 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Boys events winners from 2000 to 2012 are here. http://www.ghgtiming.com/Website/Res...entwinners.cfm

Girls event winners from 2000-2012 are here. http://www.ghgtiming.com/Website/Res...entwinners.cfm
Old 04-11-19, 12:53 PM
All World

Quote:
Boys events winners from 2000 to 2012 are here. http://www.ghgtiming.com/Website/Res...entwinners.cfm

Girls event winners from 2000-2012 are here. http://www.ghgtiming.com/Website/Res...entwinners.cfm
Thanks so much for posting these links. More data to update my files with!
Old 04-11-19, 12:55 PM
All World

Quote:
I was coaching at Walnut Hills when the meet started. The general idea seemed pretty good. Get everyone to compete and have a meet where a lot of the best athletes in SW Ohio got to run against each other early in the season. The different locations qualifying format did make it interesting. I remember talking to the girls head coach and we presented it to the kids as something akin to qualifying from the district meet to the regional. Finish in the top four. It was a meet where we could get them to buy into racing their opponents.
Karl was always good about getting his girls to compete against the best. One of the best coaches of the 1990-2010 period. Best sprint coach around in the last 30 years, year-in, year-out, IMHO.
Old 04-11-19, 01:18 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
Karl was always good about getting his girls to compete against the best. One of the best coaches of the 1990-2010 period. Best sprint coach around in the last 30 years, year-in, year-out, IMHO.

I think so too. I have been lucky to work with him and with our current sprint staff at Coffman, so for a majority of the last two decades plus I have been working with good sprint coaches.
Old 04-11-19, 05:17 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Be careful using the times prior to 2009
Old 04-11-19, 07:27 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Ditto. I generally steer clear of criticizing how another place operates a meet without first looking in the mirror and recognizing the numerous shortcomings my own school has had in hosting even the smallest of dual meets over the years.

That said, if my school feels a meet didn't do a good job or no longer fits the team's needs (ex. relay meets that require 3 per field event are not a good fit for my school these days), we'll go elsewhere just as anyone else is free to do if they don't like how a particular meet is operated.

I don't see where insulting anyone on my way out the door does any good. Things change, and I may someday wish to return to a meet, so why burn those bridges? It only hurts my kids, and I don't know anyone who gets involved in the sport to achieve that end.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 04-11-19 at 09:50 PM..
Old 04-11-19, 08:09 PM
All World

Quote:
Be careful using the times prior to 2009
I am, as always. Lots of stuff from back then was MT that looked like FAT on paper, but as you and I know all too well, wasn't.
Old 04-12-19, 12:50 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Karl was at one time in charge for maintaining and updating the city records. I never knew he had a city top ten list also in 2012. There were five of us on yappi called the SLIMS committe that researched and did a city top ten beginning in 2007, don't know if Karl used that for his top ten or not, but anyway, here is Karl's boys top ten as posted on ghgtiming web site in 2012.

http://www.ghgtiming.com/Website/Res...cincinnati.cfm

Last edited by Lancermania; 04-13-19 at 12:59 AM..
Old 04-20-19, 05:51 PM
All World

A few trends I can't stand.

#1. Advancing to finals on time only. Winner + best times should go through. Winning should count for something.

#2 and this is even worse for me. We were at a meet where they asked coaches if next year we just went to timed finals. I will look for another meet if that is the case. If that happens, we will only have our own invite the week before our conference meet where there is any type of qualifying.

#3 Open Pit LJ. Hate it.

#4 No finals for the LJ, SP and Disc. 4 attempts and no finals. I don't like that.
Old 04-20-19, 10:25 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Psycho_dad's edict

Psycho has spoken. This thread is now a thread to vent what you don't like about meets. Go at it, guys!
Old 04-21-19, 12:33 AM
All World

Quote:
A few trends I can't stand.

#1. Advancing to finals on time only. Winner + best times should go through. Winning should count for something.

#2 and this is even worse for me. We were at a meet where they asked coaches if next year we just went to timed finals. I will look for another meet if that is the case. If that happens, we will only have our own invite the week before our conference meet where there is any type of qualifying.

#3 Open Pit LJ. Hate it.

#4 No finals for the LJ, SP and Disc. 4 attempts and no finals. I don't like that.

I'll take a stab at each one of these.

ALL issues pointed out have plus/minuses. There is no right or wrong answer.

#1 - Advancement to Finals - Tough call. Depends on meet and methodology of seeding the trial heats. There's no good answer on this as entry marks can and do vary wildly, not too mention, validity of entry marks. If a sincere effort is made by meet management to evenly distribute entries into separate heats, then I would favor the winner of each heat + next fastest times to fill out the remaining final lanes. However, good luck on implementing that system consistently. I think, however, if management makes an effort to seed the heats honestly by incoming performance, advancing from lowest seed to the highest seed, then the last two heats should contain the athletes that should be in the final, generally speaking. Advancement based on time out of those two heats, or take the top 2 or 3 from those two heats and advance the rest on time. Winning a heat is only important if it advances one to the final. The idea of winning a heat for winning's sake, running all out, is fool-hardy. Heats are about advancement, not about winning.

#2 - Timed Finals - This ties in with #1 - If done properly with seeding, timed finals can be fine, and in fact, preferable so as not to overuse sprinters' neurological systems. I can't tell you how many times I've seen sprinters run into the ground through multiple qualifying rounds by coaches that thought you could run thoroughbreds ad infinitum. Great way to kill your sprinters. Timed finals for invitationals is fine with me as long as the seeding is done properly.

However, for conference, district, region, state, I'm totally against timed finals. The current structure of qualifying rounds is proper and it helps develop athletes & coaches alike (at least those that are willing to learn). It is also the fairest system in general, but not perfect.

#3 - For smaller meets, open pit with a time limit is just fine with me as a former coach. Head-to-head match-ups are really only important come May. Open pit with time limit helps define when an athlete has to get their attempts in, and it helps coaches to be know when they & their athletes need to be in that location. Being a former long-time field event coach, it's fine with me. Come conference and tournament time, though, and it better be run like clockwork. Serious business come May. Everything until then is practice.

#4 - 4 attempts in LJ, SP, DT & no finals - Fine with me for smaller invites. Big invites like Wayne Invite, darned right I want finals. Field event athletes get so few attempts during the season to do their thing that I as a coach always wanted the maximum number of attempts for my best athletes. It also helps to prepare for May.

That's my for whatever its worth 2 cents.
Old 04-22-19, 11:25 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
I can't stand relay legs that aren't actual event distances. My sons always got stuck running 1200m in the distance medley. What is 1200m? Don't know how to run it and don't know if you did well when you are finished.
Old 04-22-19, 12:00 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
I can't stand relay legs that aren't actual event distances. My sons always got stuck running 1200m in the distance medley. What is 1200m? Don't know how to run it and don't know if you did well when you are finished.
I will say this, I had a kid a couple of years ago that got a college offer after a college coach saw a great 1200 leg on a video (recruiting another athlete). Because the DMR is a college event. She didn't end up going there, but it got her noticed.

Last edited by mathking; 04-22-19 at 01:04 PM..