Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-03-19, 12:47 PM
All World

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Wind Gauges - Long Jump - Cincinnati Districts

I hope that wind gauges are utilized at all the Cincinnati area district meets this year. Winton Woods D1 has done good work in implementing this since the 2015 meet. The New Richmond D2 & D3 meets had implemented this for the 2015-2017 meets, but regressed last year in not having them, at least according to the posted results. Mason D1 has yet to implement a wind gauge for the long jump since the inception of the meet in 1923. Given that Mason's long jump runway is a West-to-East set-up taking advantage of prevailing southwesterly winds during the spring, many jumps there are really wind-aided, as they are at Winton Woods (they have the same orientation).

Given the quality of the athletes that come out of those districts, let's hope that they are given the consideration they are due by implementing wind gauges at those district long jumps!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-19, 02:24 PM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
I don't know what the situation is like in SW Ohio, but we don't have enough officials to do all the other jobs required at the district meets in my area. Not that this job necessarily requires a registered official, but the bodies just aren't there. The anemometer operator is way down on my list under the category of "would be nice, but we will survive without it."
Old 04-03-19, 02:34 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
I don't know what the situation is like in SW Ohio, but we don't have enough officials to do all the other jobs required at the district meets in my area. Not that this job necessarily requires a registered official, but the bodies just aren't there. The anemometer operator is way down on my list under the category of "would be nice, but we will survive without it."
Staffing is always an issue, regardless of position. To my best knowledge, a registered official is not used for the wind gauge(s) utilized for the 100m/200m/100mH/110mH races. Winton Woods & New Richmond must've found the resource for 2015-2018 (except for NR in 2018). I can't imagine that Mason, given it's the largest school in Ohio, would be lacking for resources.
Old 04-04-19, 05:52 AM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
I have seen a wind gauge set up on the infield close to the track at Mason D1 district meets, presumably recording the wind for the sprint races. Have not seen it used during long jump competition. Using it properly would require a reading during each trial by each competitor, correct?
Old 04-04-19, 06:28 AM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofrunning View Post
Using it properly would require a reading during each trial by each competitor, correct?
Yes.
Old 04-04-19, 06:57 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Yes.
I 2nd that yes.

You know, what would be really neat is if one of the timing companies came up with an app that would start/stop the wind gauge from a smart phone, removing the need for being right next to the wind gauge. The long jump official or one of the crew could start/stop with each attempt, removing the need for an extra person to sit with the gauge itself. Same thing for the sprints...start/stop from the booth.
Old 04-04-19, 01:40 PM
All Region

Finishtiming is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
I 2nd that yes.

You know, what would be really neat is if one of the timing companies came up with an app that would start/stop the wind gauge from a smart phone, removing the need for being right next to the wind gauge. The long jump official or one of the crew could start/stop with each attempt, removing the need for an extra person to sit with the gauge itself. Same thing for the sprints...start/stop from the booth.
We already start and stop them from the timing area for sprints. It is wired directly into our cameras. Have had wind at mason district since we started there. Longjump is strictly up to host to provide. We do not have enough wind gauges to run all of our districts and provide extra for that. There are officials that will provide that but again it is lack of people to do this. Now as for your app. We do have that option with our field lynx we use like at the state meet. But again it takes another person to run that and another $2500 wind gauge.
Old 04-04-19, 06:11 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finishtiming View Post
We already start and stop them from the timing area for sprints. It is wired directly into our cameras. Have had wind at mason district since we started there. Longjump is strictly up to host to provide. We do not have enough wind gauges to run all of our districts and provide extra for that. There are officials that will provide that but again it is lack of people to do this. Now as for your app. We do have that option with our field lynx we use like at the state meet. But again it takes another person to run that and another $2500 wind gauge.
Interesting information, and thank you for explaining everything involved. Let's hope Mason finds it within themselves to go the extra mile!

BTW - Love the improved website at FinishTiming.