Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-21-19, 09:08 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
GCL Track Finals now at UC

After 28 years at La Salle, the GCLS and GCLG Track & Field finals are now at Getler Field on the campus of the University of Cincinnati. Hmmm! Interesting! As soon at the head coach at La Salle leaves after all those years, the meet goes to UC. It's a fact that more than one school felt the meet should not be at La Salle with its narrow 36" lanes, with only six lanes, with a fence dangerously close to lane six, and with the bleachers blocking a view of the first turn.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-19, 11:25 PM
All World

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Hmmm....Mount St. Joe's was a nice facility when they hosted the then GGCL. I'm curious if UC still has the discus on the inside of the track, or have they moved that to Coy Field? If they have, that is a huge negative. If they've still got it on the inside of the track, then everything should be good.

I wonder when the last major HS conference meet was held at UC?
Old 03-22-19, 07:33 AM
All American

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
GCL finally runs on a 400-meter track.

Does this have anything to do with Russo leaving?
Old 03-22-19, 09:49 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
I like watching meets there from the parking deck up at the street level. whole different perspective looking down from above.
Old 03-22-19, 10:05 AM
All World

GCL could've run on a 400m track, 8 lanes, a long time ago. They chose to stay at La Salle for all those years. St. X has had a very nice facility for quite some time with the throws just behind the stadium instead of out in the back 40.

La Salle, unfortunately for the Lancers, is land-locked unless they completely revamped and moved their fields around and installed a 400m regulation facility back where the throws area is. That is a lot of money to accomplish something like that. I understand their predicament, the change in staffing aside.

The GCLG (formerly the GGCL) has never had to deal with being land-locked as none of the girls' schools has a facility. They've been hosted by numerous facilities over the years.
Old 03-22-19, 09:44 PM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
It is my understanding that the girls prelims and field events will be held Wednesday at LaSalle, as in the past. No need for boys prelims, as there are only 4 teams. The 8 lane track at UC solves that. The GGCL is now comprised of only 5 teams, so prelims only eliminate 2 competitors, as the boys prelims in years past only eliminated 2 to accomodate a 6 lane track.

Both boys and girls field event finals used to be completed on Wednesday, so I wonder if the boys field events will happen again at LaSalle.

UC conducts the hammer and javelin throws at Coy field. I don't know if they throw the discus there as well.
Old 03-22-19, 10:13 PM
All District

bgtri11 is on a distinguished road
The majority of athletes I coached favorite meet was the GCL meet at LaSalle before they moved the North/Central schools to a separate meet at Fenwick. As a coach I would agree with them. The atmosphere at LaSalle for the GCL meet when all 12 boys schools competed there was electrifying and some amazing competition. The athletes still talk about going into the "dark" in the back corner and then coming back under the lights into the final straightaway. I say it every year that I wish all 12 GCL schools still competed together every year for the league championships. I know they scored 3 seperate meets, but it was still awesome.
Old 03-22-19, 10:29 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofrunning View Post
It is my understanding that the girls prelims and field events will be held Wednesday at LaSalle, as in the past. No need for boys prelims, as there are only 4 teams. The 8 lane track at UC solves that. The GGCL is now comprised of only 5 teams, so prelims only eliminate 2 competitors, as the boys prelims in years past only eliminated 2 to accomodate a 6 lane track.

Both boys and girls field event finals used to be completed on Wednesday, so I wonder if the boys field events will happen again at LaSalle.

UC conducts the hammer and javelin throws at Coy field. I don't know if they throw the discus there as well.

Seems strange to split the meet like that. Sounds like a scheduling issue at La Salle.

As for Coy Field, anyone who's been there knows the setup. Just wide enough for the hammer & javelin, but nothing else. Long enough for decent efforts up to about 250'. Coy's had quite a history over the years...you can see just how much it has changed since it was used as Hughes' training facility back in the 1930s. Their yearbooks show just how barren and bigger that field used to be. No more.
Old 03-23-19, 10:24 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Look at the title of this thread, it says finals at UC. I never said the prelims were not at La Salle. As for the field, the frosh and jv events were held on Wednesday with the varsity field finals held on friday in past years. I assume that is true this year with only the varsity field at UC. This is not the first time the finals were at UC as they were there in 1996 because of flooding on the track at La Salle. Here is La Salle's schedule showing the prelims at La Salle and the finals at UC. https://www.lasallehs.net/athletics2...cs-team-id/190

Last edited by Lancermania; 03-23-19 at 10:35 AM..
Old 03-23-19, 03:44 PM
All American

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
I agree that the track at La Salle was not a full 400 meters when it started being used for meets. However, when a new field turf was installed and named Marge Schott field, the track was lengthened to a full 400 meters. As for Russo, he had some clout with the league because of his two state titles and runner-up title in track and field. Has any other GCL or GGCL school gotten on the podium at state as a team in track and field?
Not too many Cincinnati teams have been on the podium for track and field overall.

Girls yes.
Mason girls with Bizzarri.
Withrow girls the last couple of years.

Besides that I would argue that Columbus schools are very similar to Cincinnati with track and field podium finishes. I would argue that track and field team titles are more prevalent with Cleveland and Dayton teams.
Old 03-23-19, 03:56 PM
Lancers lead the way!

To answer Javman's concern about Coy field. Nothing will be contested there. Everything at the stadium.
Old 03-23-19, 04:29 PM
All World

Quote:
To answer Javman's concern about Coy field. Nothing will be contested there. Everything at the stadium.
I've read the updates on the thread. Cool. Still wondering why the separate prelims & finals facilities?
Old 03-24-19, 01:07 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Last year the AD at the time scheduled a tennis match and baseball game all at La Salle on the same day as the TF finals. As you can imagine, parking was a mess. The ADs at the other schools didn't want the finals at La Salle because of that reason this year. Now the AD at that time from La Salle has moved on to Little Miami. I'm told that this year is an experiment to see if the finals can be at UC every year. Parking at UC could be expensive. When UC has events there, I've seen signs up about event parking for $10. Then also the admission fee. Javman, if you still have issues with the two venues, I suggest you contract the GCL Commissioner, Tom Gamble.
Old 03-24-19, 02:49 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
Not too many Cincinnati teams have been on the podium for track and field overall.

Girls yes.

Mason girls with Bizzarri.

Withrow girls the last couple of years.

Besides that I would argue that Columbus schools are very similar to Cincinnati with track and field podium finishes. I would argue that track and field team titles are more prevalent with Cleveland and Dayton teams.

I think Columbus area teams are very well represented on the podium over the past ten seasons or so. I think the teams from around Columbus have 16 titles in the past decade. Plus a bunch of seconds and thirds. For D1 itís 6 girls and 4 boys titles.
Old 03-24-19, 09:32 AM
All World

Quote:
Last year the AD at the time scheduled a tennis match and baseball game all at La Salle on the same day as the TF finals. As you can imagine, parking was a mess. The ADs at the other schools didn't want the finals at La Salle because of that reason this year. Now the AD at that time from La Salle has moved on to Little Miami. I'm told that this year is an experiment to see if the finals can be at UC every year. Parking at UC could be expensive. When UC has events there, I've seen signs up about event parking for $10. Then also the admission fee. Javman, if you still have issues with the two venues, I suggest you contract the GCL Commissioner, Tom Gamble.
I don't have issues with either one. Just was curious why the separation. Now you've explained it.
Old 03-24-19, 12:29 PM
Lancers lead the way!

I asked about other GCL or GGCL teams making th podium at state as a team. It's not about Mason girls or Withrow girls or Columbus teams on the podium. I did find that the Kettering Alter girls were second in 2016.
Old 03-24-19, 07:10 PM
All District

SLS is on a distinguished road
Alter boys 1996 runners-up
Old 03-24-19, 08:58 PM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
"Originally Posted by Lancermania. Has any other GCL or GGCL school gotten on the podium at state as a team in track and field?"

I'm pretty sure St. Xavier was third in D1 track and field in 2014.
Old 03-24-19, 10:29 PM
Lancers lead the way!

I'm asking about the podium where only first and second are recognized.