Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-10-19, 11:00 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
NCAA DII Indoor Nationals

It was a big weekend for Ohio-based schools and Ohio-based athletes at the NCAA DII Indoor Track and Field Championships held in Pittsburg, KS. Highlights included:

Ashland men winning the team championship with 38 pts, 1 pt. ahead of Adams State. Tiffin men were 3rd with 34 pts, and Ashland's league rival Grand Valley State was 4th with 33.25 pts. Ashland needed a little bit of magic in the 4x400 to secure their team title: Trailing 37-34, they were running from the first of 3 heats, so even if they won their heat, there were 8 teams with better seed times still to race. Ashland made a rather astute move by placing 400m champion Myles Pringle on 3rd leg. He created signficant separation on his leg which meant an easier exchange and a clear track for their anchor. The anchor held off Grand Valley State by a mere .01 second, or else the team championship would've been shared with Adams State. None of the teams from the 2nd heat beat Ashland's time, so the team title was clinched despite all 4 teams from the final heat beating Ashland's time. Individual championships were won by Ohioans in the weight throw and 400m dash. A Findlay athlete also won the shot put, but he is a native of the British V.I.

Adams State women easily outdistanced Grand Valley State 87-64 in the women's team competition. A female Ohioan won a national championship in the 200m dash.

The following athletes with Ohio ties achieved All-America status (I apologize if I missed anyone):
Women:
60m - Kandace Thomas (GlenOak, Adams State), 2nd place
200m - Kandace Thomas, 1st place
800m - Carsyn Koch-Johnson (Cedarville), 7th place. Johnson is a Maine native.
Mile - Andra Lehotay (Sandy Valley, Walsh), 5th place
5000m - Hannah Thompson (GlenOak, Malone), 6th place
4x400 - Jessica Eby (Orrville, Grand Valley State), 3rd place. Eby was the only Ohioan on that relay.
DMR - Walsh: Alexa Leppelmeier (Pettisville), Jetaiya Smith (GlenOak), Bre Bakan (Marlington), Andra Lehotay, 5th place
Malone: Jasmine Penrod (Morgan), Rebekah Carr (Massillon Perry), Katie Grimes (Canton Heritage Christian), Mackenna Curtis-Collins (Lexington), 6th place
Cedarville: Rachel Sweeney (Xenia Legacy Christian), 8th place. The other 3 members of the relay were from out of state.
Weight Throw - Natalie Helenthal (Ashland, Ashland), 5th place
Shot Put - Lindsay Baker (East Liverpool, Ashland), 2nd place
High Jump - Marisa Gwinner (Galtion, Tiffin), T3rd place

Men:
60m Hurdles - Juan Scott (Dayton Dunbar, Central State), 2nd place
400m - Myles Pringle (Cincinnati Northwest, Ashland), 1st place. Xavier Marable (Northmont, Findlay), 6th place
4x400m - Ashland: Myles Pringle, Paul Murray (GlenOak), Brayden Chaney (West Holmes), 5th place. The relay's 4th member was from PA.
Long Jump - Quincy Scott (Springfield, Tiffin), 7th place
Pole Vault - Davis Bowers (Benjamin Logan, Tiffin), 7th place
High Jump - Cameron Burrows (Perkins, Tiffin), 3rd place. Myles Pringle, 4th place
Weight Throw - Austin Combs (Liberty-Benton, Findlay), 1st place. Brent Fairbanks (Austintown-Fitch, Ashland), 2nd place. Nick Zak (Brunswick, Ashland), 3rd place. Alex Hill (Mansfield Madison, Ashland), 4th place. Torkyo Grace (Central Crossing, Tiffin), 6th place
Shot Put - Eldred Henry (Findlay), 1st place. Jabari Bennett (Tiffin), 3rd place. Nikolas Curtiss (Lancaster, Tiffin), 4th place

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 03-10-19 at 02:22 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-19, 01:37 PM
All Region

panott is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
It was a big weekend for Ohio-based schools and Ohio-based athletes at the NCAA DII Indoor Track and Field Championships held in Pittsburg, KS. Highlights included:

Ashland men winning the team championship with 38 pts, 1 pt. ahead of Adams State. Tiffin men were 3rd with 34 pts, and Ashland's league rival Grand Valley State was 4th with 33.25 pts. Ashland needed a little bit of magic in the 4x400 to secure their team title: Trailing 37-34, they were running from the first of 3 heats, so even if they won their heat, there were 8 teams with better seed times still to race. Ashland made a rather astute move by placing 400m champion Myles Pringle on 3rd leg. He created signficant separation on his leg which meant an easier exchange and a clear track for their anchor. The anchor held off Grand Valley State by a mere .01 second, or else the team championship would've been shared with Adams State. None of the teams from the 2nd heat beat Ashland's time, so the team title was clinched despite all 4 teams from the final heat beating Ashland's time. Individual championships were won by Ohioans in the weight throw, shot put, and 400m dash.

Adams State women easily outdistanced Grand Valley State 87-64 in the women's team competition. A female Ohioan won a national championship in the 200m dash.

The following athletes with Ohio ties achieved All-America status (I apologize if I missed anyone):
Women:
60m - Kandace Thomas (GlenOak, Adams State), 2nd place
200m - Kandace Thomas, 1st place
800m - Carsyn Koch-Johnson (Cedarville), 7th place. Johnson is a Maine native.
Mile - Andra Lehotay (Sandy Valley, Walsh), 5th place
5000m - Hannah Thompson (GlenOak, Malone), 6th place
4x400 - Jessica Eby (Orrville, Grand Valley State), 3rd place. Eby was the only Ohioan on that relay.
DMR - Walsh: Alexa Leppelmeier (Pettisville), Jetaiya Smith (GlenOak), Bre Bakan (Marlington), Andra Lehotay, 5th place
Malone: Jasmine Penrod (Morgan), Rebekah Carr (Massillon Perry), Katie Grimes (Canton Heritage Christian), Mackenna Curtis-Collins (Lexington), 6th place
Cedarville: Rachel Sweeney (Xenia Legacy Christian), 8th place. The other 3 members of the relay were from out of state.
Weight Throw - Natalie Helenthal (Ashland, Ashland), 5th place
Shot Put - Lindsay Baker (East Liverpool, Ashland), 2nd place
High Jump - Marisa Gwinner (Galtion, Tiffin), T3rd place

Men:
60m Hurdles - Juan Scott (Dayton Dunbar, Central State), 2nd place
400m - Myles Pringle (Cincinnati Northwest, Ashland), 1st place
4x400m - Ashland: Myles Pringle, Paul Murray (GlenOak), Brayden Chaney (West Holmes), 5th place. The relay's 4th member was from PA.
Long Jump - Quincy Scott (Springfield, Tiffin), 7th place
Pole Vault - Davis Bowers (Benjamin Logan, Tiffin), 7th place
High Jump - Cameron Burrows (Perkins, Tiffin), 3rd place. Myles Pringle, 4th place
Weight Throw - Austin Combs (Liberty-Benton, Findlay), 1st place. Brent Fairbanks (Austintown-Fitch, Ashland), 2nd place. Nick Zak (Brunswick, Ashland), 3rd place. Alex Hill (Mansfield Madison, Ashland), 4th place. Torkyo Grace (Central Crossing, Tiffin), 6th place
Shot Put - Eldred Henry (Findlay), 1st place. Jabari Bennett (Tiffin), 3rd place. Nikolas Curtiss (Lancaster, Tiffin), 4th place
Add Xavier Marable (Northmont,Findley) 400v6th place
Old 03-10-19, 03:55 PM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
Kandace Thomas graduated 8 years ago.....she must have sat out a few years.
By the way if any NAIA teams are interested (age 65) I still have one indoor/outdoor and two XC years left of eligibility.....
Old 03-10-19, 06:19 PM
All World

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvctrackfan View Post
By the way if any NAIA teams are interested (age 65) I still have one indoor/outdoor and two XC years left of eligibility.....
Why not? That's what's great about NAIA!
Old 03-10-19, 06:55 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Thomas' bio for Adams State indicates that she came from St. Augustine's (NC), but I have no idea how long she was there. She was DII NCAA champion in the 100 and 3rd in the 200 last spring for Adams State. I did a double take when I saw the name, but it was definitely her. She ran a 7.26 60 and 23.57 200 (from the 1st of 2 final heats) this past weekend which isn't too shabby.

A few years ago, Mount Union had a local boy who was OAC freshman of the year despite being 25 or 26. He served in the military for a handful of years before enrolling in college. Additionally, Malone had a local woman on their track team who was in her late 50s or early 60s not too long ago. She was a long distance runner.
Old 03-10-19, 07:30 PM
All World

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Thomas' bio for Adams State indicates that she came from St. Augustine's (NC), but I have no idea how long she was there. She was DII NCAA champion in the 100 and 3rd in the 200 last spring for Adams State. I did a double take when I saw the name, but it was definitely her. She ran a 7.26 60 and 23.57 200 (from the 1st of 2 final heats) this past weekend which isn't too shabby.

A few years ago, Mount Union had a local boy who was OAC freshman of the year despite being 25 or 26. He served in the military for a handful of years before enrolling in college. Additionally, Malone had a local woman on their track team who was in her late 50s or early 60s not too long ago. She was a long distance runner.
Debbie Herman (mother of West Carrollton 1999 grad Christie Herman) competed for two seasons with the Wilmington Quakers and set there then school record in the discus while in her mid-late 30s. Debbie, if my information is correct, is the former Debbie Williams of Tipp City fame in the 1970s, the first Ohio girl to throw over 150'. She had been a national class competitor prior to motherhood, then used what eligibility she had left competing for the then NAIA school Wilmington.
Old 03-13-19, 08:23 AM
All District

"David Thorne" is on a distinguished road
Congratulations on the GWOC having 2 local athletes earning all-american status as freshman. Xavier Marable(Northmont) and Quincy Scott(Springfield) finishing in the top 8 in their respective sports. I do believe that Marable also set the GMAC conference meet record in the 400m dash and Scott set the GMAC conference meet and all-time record in the long jump. Not bad as freshmen
Old 03-21-19, 08:30 AM
Junior Varsity

Throwscoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I do believe that in DII you have 8 semesters of eligibility that only get used when you are enrolled in college. Not like in DI when they clock on your eligibility begins on day 1, where you have 8 semesters of eligibility to use over 10 semesters.
Old 03-22-19, 08:41 AM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
I’m really thinking about it...i was a pretty good race walker in the early 70’s....look out world...I think I might need some scholarship money and Medicare lol