Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > National Football Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-30-10, 10:17 PM
MoeBeturLojik MoeBeturLojik is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-27-09
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,455
MoeBeturLojik is on a distinguished road
Where the best HS football is played.

Where the best HS football is played 2010 edition
Let's get this discussion re-invigorated:

Here's where some of the best football is being played, teamwise, which of course is different somewhat from where the recruiting hotbeds are. I took the calpreps.com top 250 teams and dumped them into a spreadsheet. And because I wanted more depth than just a top 100, and I sorted them by metro area. I listed schools in the top 100.

16-tied - Los Angeles Area: #5 Centennial, #6 Mission Viejo, #17 Servite, #44 St. Bonaventure, #49 Alemany, #53 Santa Margarita, #58 Westlake, #80 Serra, #83 MaterDei

16-tied - Dallas-Fort Worth Area: #3 Coppell, #8 Trinity, #27 Guyer, #37 DeSoto, #41 Allen, #62 Mesquite Horn, #65 Southlake Carroll, #72 Cedar Park


14 - Cincinnati/Dayton Ohio/NKy: #9 Wayne, #29 St. Xavier, #31 Colerain, #67 Centerville, #78 Middletown, #92 Moeller


12 - Florida West Coast: #7 Armwood, #12 Tampa Jefferson, #30 Lakeland, #33 Manatee, #60 Port Charlotte, #64 S. Ft Meyers, #71 Bradenton SE


9 - South Florida: #21 Aquinas FtL, #66 University FtL, #79 Miami Central


8 - Atlanta: (no schools in calpreps top 100)


7 - Northeast Ohio: #1 St. Edward, #48 Glenville, #74 Ursuline, #77 Solon


6-tied - Central Florida: #24 Orlando Dr. Phillips, #54 Cocoa, #70 Ocala Trinity Catholic


6-tied - East Texas: #73 Tyler Chapel Hill, #91 Tyler John Tyler


6-tied - Houston: #26 Katy
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 12-19-10, 01:34 PM
MoeBeturLojik MoeBeturLojik is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-27-09
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,455
MoeBeturLojik is on a distinguished road
Ranking the States.
Now that all the games are done, I thought I'd revisit this. I went back in and mined the calpreps.com database to see how many schools each state has in the top 25/100/250/500/1000. No real surprise here. Although there are a few things that are very debatable, like an individual school's ranking, etc, there's one thing that came out very clear. The top tier consists of CA, TX, FL, and OH and there's a very huge gap between these four and the rest of the states. If you think one of these states doesn't deserve to be in the top tier, or you think another state deserves equal footing with these four, IMO you don't know enough about how HS football is played around the nation. That said, here's how I'm ranking them:

TOP TIER:
...State........25..../...100.../...250..../...500..../..1000.....
1. California ...6...../....13...../....25...../....47...../....92.....
2. Texas .......4...../....14...../....39...../....68...../...128.....
3. Florida ......3...../....12...../....29...../....53...../....89.....
4. Ohio .........2...../....12...../....22...../....38...../....74.....

This represents 15 of the top 25 and 51 of the top 100. No other state has more than 4 teams in the top 100.

Although Texas has more depth, I put CA as #1 due to they have more teams in the top 25.

Last edited by MoeBeturLojik; 12-19-10 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: format
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-19-10, 01:55 PM
MoeBeturLojik MoeBeturLojik is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-27-09
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,455
MoeBeturLojik is on a distinguished road
Tier 2:
State...........25..../...100.../...250..../...500..../..1000.....
.5. Georgia.......0...../.....3...../.....9...../....21...../....45.....
.6. Illinois.........1..../.....2...../.....8...../....19...../....41.....
.7. Penn..........0...../.....3...../.....8...../.....16...../....37.....
.8. Tenn..........0...../.....4...../.....9...../....16...../....31.....
.9. Virginia.......1...../.....2...../.....8...../....17...../....26.....
10. Alabama......1...../.....2...../.....6...../....15...../....34.....
11. Louisiana.....1...../.....3...../.....6...../....13...../....23.....
12. N.Jersey......1...../.....3...../.....4...../....11...../....23.....
13. Washington..0...../.....3...../.....5...../....12...../....25.....

Tier3:
State...........25..../...100.../...250..../...500..../..1000.....
14. S. Carolina...0...../.....2...../.....6...../....11...../....21.....
15. Michigan......0...../.....1...../.....5...../....14...../....27.....
16. Mississippi....1...../.....1...../.....5...../.....8...../....22.....
17. N. Carolina...0...../.....1...../.....3...../.....8...../....23.....
18. Indiana........0...../.....1...../.....5...../....10...../....19.....
19. Missouri.......1...../.....1...../.....6...../....10...../....17.....

Tier 4:
State........25..../...100.../...250..../...500..../..1000.....
20. Oklahoma....0...../.....2...../.....6...../.....8...../....12.....
21. Wisconsin...0...../.....1...../.....3...../.....8...../....15.....
22. New York....0...../.....2...../.....4...../.....7...../....14.....
23. Kentucky....1...../.....1...../.....4...../.....6...../....14.....
24. Kansas.......0...../.....1...../.....2...../.....7...../....15.....
25. Arizona.......0...../.....1...../.....2...../.....7...../....14.....
26. Colorado.....1...../.....1...../.....2...../.....6...../....11.....
27. Minnesota...0...../.....1...../.....3...../.....5...../....11.....
28. Maryland.....0...../.....1...../.....3...../.....4...../....10.....

Tier5:
State........25..../...100.../...250..../...500..../..1000.....
29. Utah........0...../.....1...../.....1...../.....6...../....15.....
30. Nebraska..0...../.....0...../.....1...../.....5...../....11.....
31. Arkansas..1...../.....1...../.....2...../.....5...../.....9.....
32. Idaho.......0...../.....1...../.....2...../.....5...../.....7.....
33. Hawaii......0...../.....1...../.....2...../.....2...../.....5.....

Tier6:
State........25..../...100.../...250..../...500..../..1000.....
34. Oregon.....0...../.....0...../.....1...../.....2...../.....6.....
35. DC...........0...../.....1...../.....1...../.....1...../.....3.....
36. Mass........0...../.....0...../.....0...../.....2...../.....6.....
37. Nevada.....0...../.....0...../.....1...../.....2...../.....3.....
38. N.Mexico...0...../.....0...../.....0...../.....1...../.....5.....
39. W.Virgina..0...../.....0...../.....1...../.....1...../.....3.....
40. Conn........0...../.....0...../.....1...../.....1...../.....2.....
41. Iowa........0...../.....0...../.....0...../.....1...../.....3.....

Bottom Barrel:
State........ Best two schools
42. Delaware.....#535 St. Marks, #903 Salesianum
43. S.Dakota.....#739 Dell Rapids, #833 Sioux Falls Washington
44. Montana......#907 Custer County, #943 Bozeman
45. Alaska........#757 Anchorage West, #1076 Soldotna
46. N.Dakota.....#996 Shanley, #1182 Velva
47. Maine.........#995 Cheverus, #1399 Mountain Valley
48. RhodeIsl.....#739 Bish.Hendricken, #1663 Portsmouth
49. Vermont.....#1048 Rice Memorial, #1398 White River Junction
50. Wyoming....#981 Natrona County, #1670 Douglas
51. N. Hamp.....#1517 Bishop Guertin, #1594 Pinkerton

Last edited by MoeBeturLojik; 12-19-10 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-20-10, 02:41 PM
UncleBaldy's Avatar
UncleBaldy UncleBaldy is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-04-05
Location: Nrthrn KY and Kokomo, IN
Posts: 5,009
UncleBaldy is on a distinguished road
The answer to the question of where the best high school football is played is simple . . . . everywhere. Well, except maybe Alaska because I don't know if they even have enough decent weather to play an entire season. I've lived in six states now and have seen great high school football in all of them and I'm sure Sykotik would agree. Kudos to the kids that go out there every day and put in the time and effort, most of whom will never play again after their senior season but show the dedication regardless. I'll take HS football over college, and both over pro (which is a joke).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-21-10, 02:34 PM
SLCDad SLCDad is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-05
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,128
SLCDad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBeturLojik View Post
Where the best HS football is played 2010 edition
Let's get this discussion re-invigorated:

Here's where some of the best football is being played, teamwise, which of course is different somewhat from where the recruiting hotbeds are. I took the calpreps.com top 250 teams and dumped them into a spreadsheet. And because I wanted more depth than just a top 100, and I sorted them by metro area. I listed schools in the top 100.

16-tied - Los Angeles Area: #5 Centennial, #6 Mission Viejo, #17 Servite, #44 St. Bonaventure, #49 Alemany, #53 Santa Margarita, #58 Westlake, #80 Serra, #83 MaterDei

16-tied - Dallas-Fort Worth Area: #3 Coppell, #8 Trinity, #27 Guyer, #37 DeSoto, #41 Allen, #62 Mesquite Horn, #65 Southlake Carroll, #72 Cedar Park


14 - Cincinnati/Dayton Ohio/NKy: #9 Wayne, #29 St. Xavier, #31 Colerain, #67 Centerville, #78 Middletown, #92 Moeller


12 - Florida West Coast: #7 Armwood, #12 Tampa Jefferson, #30 Lakeland, #33 Manatee, #60 Port Charlotte, #64 S. Ft Meyers, #71 Bradenton SE


9 - South Florida: #21 Aquinas FtL, #66 University FtL, #79 Miami Central


8 - Atlanta: (no schools in calpreps top 100)


7 - Northeast Ohio: #1 St. Edward, #48 Glenville, #74 Ursuline, #77 Solon


6-tied - Central Florida: #24 Orlando Dr. Phillips, #54 Cocoa, #70 Ocala Trinity Catholic


6-tied - East Texas: #73 Tyler Chapel Hill, #91 Tyler John Tyler


6-tied - Houston: #26 Katy

Was Aledo in your data? They went 16-0 and won a 4A title. They are a Dallas/Fort Worth team.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-21-10, 04:16 PM
Hurri-Comet's Avatar
Hurri-Comet Hurri-Comet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-23-05
Location: Solon, Ohio
Posts: 9,536
Hurri-Comet is on a distinguished road
South Florida sends young men all over the country to colleges and universitys every year. ALL OVER the USA! Ask Rivals Tom Luckinbill where the best area is for recruiting in America, he will tell you South Florida.


I'm sure Cal Preps feels differently about California. DUH!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-21-10, 06:55 PM
WoodyHayes's Avatar
WoodyHayes WoodyHayes is offline
homesick
 
Join Date: 12-18-05
Location: dallas
Posts: 3,450
WoodyHayes is on a distinguished road
Best Football

Florida, Cali and Texas are heads and shoulders above the rest. I just wish that more people in Cali and florida would go watch the games. Does anyone have any idea why Texas can get close to 50 thousand to a game but Cali and Florida can not? This baffles me.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-22-10, 03:03 PM
SLCDad SLCDad is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-05
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,128
SLCDad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyHayes View Post
Florida, Cali and Texas are heads and shoulders above the rest. I just wish that more people in Cali and florida would go watch the games. Does anyone have any idea why Texas can get close to 50 thousand to a game but Cali and Florida can not? This baffles me.
HS Football is almost a religion in Texas.

You are referring to playoff games. I would add that it's not uncommon for many Texas teams to draw 8K-12K for regular season games. Some of the big rivalry games draw more than that.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-23-10, 01:16 AM
TopCat TopCat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-21-04
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 2,621
TopCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBaldy View Post
The answer to the question of where the best high school football is played is simple . . . . everywhere. Well, except maybe Alaska because I don't know if they even have enough decent weather to play an entire season. I've lived in six states now and have seen great high school football in all of them and I'm sure Sykotik would agree. Kudos to the kids that go out there every day and put in the time and effort, most of whom will never play again after their senior season but show the dedication regardless. I'll take HS football over college, and both over pro (which is a joke).
They do play a full schedule in Alaska, but they start their regular season in early August so they can be done by mid-October when the weather starts to turn. ESPN did a feature on one Alaska high school football program: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/etick...ry?page=tundra

Maybe not the best football in the country, but still very interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-23-10, 07:38 AM
UncleBaldy's Avatar
UncleBaldy UncleBaldy is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-04-05
Location: Nrthrn KY and Kokomo, IN
Posts: 5,009
UncleBaldy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
They do play a full schedule in Alaska, but they start their regular season in early August so they can be done by mid-October when the weather starts to turn. ESPN did a feature on one Alaska high school football program: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/etick...ry?page=tundra

Maybe not the best football in the country, but still very interesting.
Thanks for the info. I've been to Alaska on four occasions. Twice to Anchorage, once to Fairbanks, and once to Valdez. During the trip to Fairbanks, I stayed till early October, at which time we got about 2 feet of snow. That would be really interesting to play football in.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-24-10, 07:31 AM
MoeBeturLojik MoeBeturLojik is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-27-09
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,455
MoeBeturLojik is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyHayes View Post
Florida, Cali and Texas are heads and shoulders above the rest. I just wish that more people in Cali and florida would go watch the games. Does anyone have any idea why Texas can get close to 50 thousand to a game but Cali and Florida can not? This baffles me.
And Ohio... The top tier is CA, TX, FL, OH, then the huge gap.

OH is just below TX for best fan support. There's a huge gap after those two.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-24-10, 07:50 AM
MoeBeturLojik MoeBeturLojik is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-27-09
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,455
MoeBeturLojik is on a distinguished road
Revisiting with final end of season rankings:

Here's where some of the best football is being played, teamwise, which of course is different somewhat from where the recruiting hotbeds are. I took the calpreps.com top 250 teams and dumped them into a spreadsheet. And because I wanted more depth than just a top 100, and I sorted them by metro area. I listed schools in the top 100.


15- Dallas-Fort Worth Area:
17 Trinity (Euless, TX), 25 Coppell (TX), 39 Guyer [John H.] (Denton, TX), 46 Aledo (TX), 69 Allen (TX), 78 De Soto (TX), 115 Carroll (Southlake, TX), 117 Cedar Park (TX), 128 Ryan [Billy] (Denton, TX), 133 Horn [Dr. John] (Mesquite, TX), 135 Argyle (TX), 168 Marcus (Flower Mound, TX), 200 Poteet [Dr. Ralph H.] (Mesquite, TX), 233 Hebron (Carrollton, TX), 241 Heritage (Colleyville, TX)

14- Los Angeles Area (southern/LA sections):
7 Servite (Anaheim, CA), 20 Centennial (Corona, CA), 23 Mission Viejo (CA), 56 Oaks Christian (Westlake Village, CA), 67 Alemany (Mission Hills, CA), 70 Santa Margarita (Rancho Santa Margarita, CA), 71 Westlake (Westlake Village, CA), 77 Serra [Junipero] (Gardena, CA), 101 St. Bonaventure (Ventura, CA), 126 Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA), 153Crenshaw (Los Angeles, CA) 155 Vista Murrieta (Murrieta, CA), 208 Chino Hills (CA), 238 Crespi (Encino, CA)

11 - Cincinnati/Dayton Ohio/NKy (region 4 OH, Cinci suburbs in NKY):
24 Wayne (Huber Heights, OH), 31 St. Xavier (Cincinnati, OH), 32 Colerain (Cincinnati, OH), 85 Centerville (OH), 96 Middletown (OH), 104 Archbishop Moeller (Cincinnati, OH), 108 Highlands (Fort Thomas, KY), 125 La Salle (Cincinnati, OH), 143 Elder (Cincinnati, OH), 164 Ryle (Union, KY), 192 Trotwood-Madison (Trotwood, OH),

9 - South Florida:
4 Aquinas [St. Thomas] (Fort Lauderdale, FL), 15 Central (Miami, FL), 97 Norland (Miami, FL), 127 University (Fort Lauderdale, FL), 163 Northwestern (Miami, FL), 169 Dwyer [William T.] (Palm Beach Gardens, FL), 176 Cypress Bay (Weston, FL), 185 Glades Central (Belle Glade, FL), 188 Columbus [Christopher] (Miami, FL)

8 - Florida Tampa/Lakeland/Southwest Coast:

8 Jefferson [Thomas] (Tampa, FL), 40 Armwood (Seffner, FL), 74 Plant [Henry B.] (Tampa, FL), 75 Manatee (Bradenton, FL), 76 Lakeland (FL), 144 South Fort Myers (Fort Myers, FL), 160 Charlotte (Punta Gorda, FL), 226 Southeast (Bradenton, FL)

7 - Atlanta:
63 Chattahoochee (Alpharetta, GA), 68 Buford (GA), 80 Brookwood (Snellville, GA), 131 Sandy Creek (Tyrone, GA), 148 North Gwinnett (Suwanee, GA), 159 Starr's Mill (Fayetteville, GA), 212 Tucker (GA)

7 - Northeast Ohio:
2 St. Edward (Lakewood, OH), 44 Ursuline (Youngstown, OH), 82 Solon (OH), 84 Glenville (Cleveland, OH), 86 Maple Heights (OH), 177 Lake Catholic (Mentor, OH), 228 Mentor (OH)

6-tied - East Texas:
26 Carthage (TX), 87 Daingerfield (TX), 103 Henderson (TX), 111 Longview (TX), 142 Chapel Hill (Tyler, TX), 186 Tyler [John] (Tyler, TX)

6-tied - Houston:
14 Pearland (TX), 43 Katy (TX) , 146 North Shore (Houston, TX), 179 Coldspring-Oakhurst (Coldspring, TX), 206 Klein Collins (Spring, TX), 211 Klein Oak (Spring, TX)

6-Tied - DC Metro:
57 Battlefield (Haymarket, VA), 72 Our Lady of Good Counsel (Olney, MD), 194 Lake Braddock (Burke, VA), 201 Briar Woods (Ashburn, VA), 207 Stone Bridge (Ashburn, VA), 246 Osbourn (Manassas, VA)

5 Teams:
IN-Indianapolis
TN-Nashville
TX-West Texas (Abilene, Midland-Odessa)

Last edited by MoeBeturLojik; 12-24-10 at 11:01 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-25-10, 05:44 PM
Middie 85 Alum's Avatar
Middie 85 Alum Middie 85 Alum is offline
GO MIDDIES
 
Join Date: 12-29-08
Location: IL
Posts: 16,103
Middie 85 Alum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBeturLojik View Post
And Ohio... The top tier is CA, TX, FL, OH, then the huge gap.

OH is just below TX for best fan support. There's a huge gap after those two.
Yeh Texas is nuts on fan support. Texas does have alot more vast wasteland that all there is to do is watch High Schoo Football which is not a bad thing
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-01-11, 08:52 PM
Hurri-Comet's Avatar
Hurri-Comet Hurri-Comet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-23-05
Location: Solon, Ohio
Posts: 9,536
Hurri-Comet is on a distinguished road
After watching TCU just handle BIG Wisky not only is my hat off to the Horned Frogs, but a Giant tip of the hat to Texas High School Football.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-02-11, 10:12 PM
cjb56 cjb56 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-15-04
Location: Avon, OH
Posts: 14,013
cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyHayes View Post
Florida, Cali and Texas are heads and shoulders above the rest. I just wish that more people in Cali and florida would go watch the games. Does anyone have any idea why Texas can get close to 50 thousand to a game but Cali and Florida can not? This baffles me.
People tend to DO things in Cali, as opposed to watching others do things. It's never been a good spectator sport state for its size, primarily due to it having more recreational options than any state.

As for Florida? Don't know. Maybe people just don't feel like being bait for the bird-sized mosquitoes while they sit outside for two hours watching a game?

To me, Ohio's performance at #4 is far more impressive than Texas, Cali or Florida...due to the much lower population of Ohio compared to those other three states.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-03-11, 12:00 PM
SLCDad SLCDad is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-05
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,128
SLCDad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurri-Comet View Post
After watching TCU just handle BIG Wisky not only is my hat off to the Horned Frogs, but a Giant tip of the hat to Texas High School Football.
A case could be made for TCU as national champs (but, of course, they won't get it).

The TCU QB, Andy Dalton, was the Rose Bowl offensive MVP. His high school team, Katy, faced Southlake Carroll in the 2005 Texas 5A title game. The Southlake Carroll QB was Greg McElroy who won a national title at Alabama last year.

Those two QBs have done well for themselves at the next level.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-23-11, 01:49 PM
Pantherblack Pantherblack is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 02-23-11
Posts: 12
Pantherblack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middie 85 Alum View Post
Yeh Texas is nuts on fan support. Texas does have alot more vast wasteland that all there is to do is watch High Schoo Football which is not a bad thing
There is some great HS football in Texas. And yea there is little else to do in vast parts of the state.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-06-11, 03:22 PM
WarriorPerc11 WarriorPerc11 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-08-10
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 264
WarriorPerc11 is on a distinguished road
The Best High School Football

Its tough to say where the best high school football is played at, but the Division 1 playoffs in Ohio is a heavy contender for it. How many of the top teams from Texas, California, or Florida do you think would be able to play through a grueling playoff schedule like that and come out on top?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-16-11, 11:33 PM
Devilone Devilone is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 03-10-11
Location: Howland, OH
Posts: 332
Devilone is on a distinguished road
I like to think there's a reason why god put the football hall of fame in Ohio.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz