Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-24-16, 09:50 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Great News for a Mars Colony!

Scientists have discovered an underground block of ice on Mars that has a volume of water equal to lake Superior!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/spac...as-new-mexico/

This is big news for any future Mars colony. With this finding, it's almost certain that significant other deposits of water exist underground on Mars.

It's time for the USA to commit to a Mars landing in much the same way we did for the moon. It's time to think seriously about establishing a permanent settlement on the red planet.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-16, 10:01 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Trump will make it happen, don't worry.
Old 11-24-16, 10:06 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Go Musk! Sell some millennial morons and random dreamers!

Keep tax dollars out of it. We are burning enough of those already.
Old 11-24-16, 10:23 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Go Musk! Sell some millennial morons and random dreamers!

Keep tax dollars out of it. We are burning enough of those already.
For sure encourage private enterprise to take a leading role in space exploration. But consider what we spent for our Middle East wars. That pretty much builds us a mars colony and which of the two - Middle East adventurism or Mars Colony - would our grandchildren be thanking us for.

Bottom line is that we have plenty of money to kick start space exploration back up if we avoid the craziness of foreign "nation building". After 9/11 we should have destroyed the Taliban & El Quida in Afghanistan and hunted down Osama. And that's it. No invading Iraq. No rebuilding Afghanistan.
Old 11-24-16, 10:33 AM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
For sure encourage private enterprise to take a leading role in space exploration. But consider what we spent for our Middle East wars. That pretty much builds us a mars colony and which of the two - Middle East adventurism or Mars Colony - would our grandchildren be thanking us for.

Bottom line is that we have plenty of money to kick start space exploration back up if we avoid the craziness of foreign "nation building". After 9/11 we should have destroyed the Taliban & El Quida in Afghanistan and hunted down Osama. And that's it. No invading Iraq. No rebuilding Afghanistan.
We found a trillion dollars of lithium in the middle east. We aren't there for democracy
Old 11-24-16, 10:37 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

Eliminating the money spent in Middle East wars would have merely made our debt a little less. We are much too far in the red to burn cash on the Red Planet nonsense, either way. "We" have no money.

You have to eat your broccoli before you get any pie.
Old 11-24-16, 11:27 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
You have to eat your broccoli before you get any pie.
The "pie" is our MASSIVE social welfare infrastructure.

Space exploration and building a colony on Mars would be more akin to a "vegetable medley". Tastes good, loaded with nutrients and beneficial to all that eat it.

My bet is that the nation that wins the space race in the 21st century, and that includes building a Mars colony, is the nation that wins the 22nd century.
Old 11-24-16, 11:48 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:

100% agreed
Old 11-24-16, 03:26 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
100% agreed
Yup, I'm with lotr on this one. Space exploration is one of the few things I approve my tax dollars going to. We need to continue pushing the boundaries.

What interests me more than building a colony is just the idea of there being other life out there, even if they are just microbials. Would change everything.
Old 11-24-16, 11:50 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
I hope something better than Tang comes out of lotr's Mars boondoggle.
Old 11-24-16, 08:24 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I hope something better than Tang comes out of lotr's Mars boondoggle.
A new industrial age for starters.

The scientific breakthroughs constructing a viable Mars colony would provide us are likely to be priceless.
Old 11-24-16, 07:58 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Interestingly, fossil fuels may exist on Mars since it appears likely that it was once home to life. That would actually be a really good thing since the CO2 released into Mars' atmosphere would lead to warming. On Mars, the dirtier the fuel, the better.

Drill baby drill!

Last edited by Crusaders; 11-24-16 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-24-16, 10:37 PM
All Yappi

I'm still waiting for Musk to explain how he's going to deal with gravity.
Old 11-25-16, 01:00 AM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Why are we far more intelligent than the other animals of earth? Why did we evolve so fast starting 6,000 years ago?

Yeah, life is likely to have come from Mars since it could support life far before earth
Old 11-25-16, 03:44 AM
All Yappi

Sup slide
Old 11-25-16, 09:39 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Sup slide
nah
Old 11-25-16, 10:02 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Hopefully Arnold Schwarzenegger is in good enough shape for a trip to the Red Planet. He can find and activate the ancient alien machine artifact that will melt that ice block and bring about a breathable atmosphere so we can start building condos there.
Old 11-25-16, 11:37 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Hopefully Arnold Schwarzenegger is in good enough shape for a trip to the Red Planet. He can find and activate the ancient alien machine artifact that will melt that ice block and bring about a breathable atmosphere so we can start building condos there.
This made me laugh.
Old 11-25-16, 02:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Sounds good, as long as I don't have to watch him pull that thing out of his nose again..........or look at that ugly little symbiot toad that lived in that other guy's chest again.
Old 11-25-16, 11:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Sounds good, as long as I don't have to watch him pull that thing out of his nose again..........or look at that ugly little symbiot toad that lived in that other guy's chest again.
Hey Cabe, this one's for you:

Old 11-26-16, 01:47 AM
All Yappi

I see that techo-brainbooger, and I'll raise you one genius-level observer of the human condition -

Old 11-26-16, 11:04 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I see that techo-brainbooger, and I'll raise you one genius-level observer of the human condition -

I love Carlin but that was a strange rant. His point seemed to be "we are awful so we shouldn't journey to space". Odd position to take but he was right about one thing, when we colonize first the Moon then Mars and then the whole solar system all our vices will be along for the ride.
Old 11-25-16, 05:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Unfortunately, I wouldn't look for any shortcuts in terraforming Mars but it was an eye-popping scene in the movie!

Old 11-25-16, 10:44 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
It's flummoxing how unbelievably short-sighted some people are.

Ultimately, humanity's survival will depend on its ability to leave the earth
Old 11-25-16, 11:34 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
It's flummoxing how unbelievably short-sighted some people are.

Ultimately, humanity's survival will depend on its ability to leave the earth
I'm not completely against it, but I just find it funny that the people who are anti-climate change and suggest it's a boondoggle and we have so much time before any real problems occur are sounding the alarm for planetary exploration and colonization because an asteroids "certain" to come and I guess there's no better way to spend a gazillion dollars.

Btw, I'm fully expecting a 4-5 paragraph rebuttal from lotr, but I'm hoping for 6+.
Old 11-25-16, 12:16 PM
Cooling Off

Possessed is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I'm not completely against it, but I just find it funny that the people who are anti-climate change and suggest it's a boondoggle and we have so much time before any real problems occur are sounding the alarm for planetary exploration and colonization because an asteroids "certain" to come and I guess there's no better way to spend a gazillion dollars.

Btw, I'm fully expecting a 4-5 paragraph rebuttal from lotr, but I'm hoping for 6+.
cause, you know, astroid don't hit Mars, the sun won't expand and destroy it, and we have the extra cash right?
Old 11-25-16, 02:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
cause, you know, astroid don't hit Mars, the sun won't expand and destroy it, and we have the extra cash right?
the Devil is in the details, huh, devil ?
Old 11-25-16, 05:28 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
It's called playing the odds: extinction level asteroid strikes on BOTH the Earth & Mars in the same century would be like playing the power-ball lottery and expecting to win.

I don't know why you folks keep blabbering on about the sun expanding - that isn't going to happen for a LONG time and doesn't represent even a remote threat to humanity over the next million years. Now massive solar storms that destroy human civilization through their annihilation of our electrical power grid is a distinct possibility in the next 100 years. See "Carrington" Event:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859
Old 11-25-16, 06:00 PM
Cooling Off

Possessed is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
It's called playing the odds: extinction level asteroid strikes on BOTH the Earth & Mars in the same century would be like playing the power-ball lottery and expecting to win.

I don't know why you folks keep blabbering on about the sun expanding - that isn't going to happen for a LONG time and doesn't represent even a remote threat to humanity over the next million years. Now massive solar storms that destroy human civilization through their annihilation of our electrical power grid is a distinct possibility in the next 100 years. See "Carrington" Event:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859
So, you're not concerned about the sun expanding... yet "play the odds" on astroid hitting the earth rather than Mars? Solar flares, eh? I suppose they don't have those on Mars? Oh wait. Everybody will be underground. Mars doesnt have sesmic events, volcanoes, solar flares... all while being forced to live inside a high pressure, space locked environment.

You've been watching too many Star Trek episodes.
Old 11-25-16, 05:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Sorry to disappoint you but:

* Human induced CATASTROPHIC GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE is not happening. The theory is weak and much of the scientific "research" supporting its occurrence is borderline fraudulent.

* The colonization of the solar system will happen because we are hard wired to explore and expand the boundaries of human habitation. It's in the genes and the fact that such an expansion will also protect us from an extinction level threat is simply a welcome feature.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: