Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-21-18, 08:24 PM
chaney620 chaney620 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 02-05-16
Posts: 11
chaney620 is on a distinguished road
Soccer divisions!

Im curious if I’m the only one who thinks three divisions in soccer is right. Harrison is considered a Div1 team with 454 boys but then play a Lakota West with 900 plus boys. Im just curious about how the state can find this to be a competitive balance.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 10-21-18, 08:34 PM
Dragonslayer22 Dragonslayer22 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-20-15
Posts: 113
Dragonslayer22 is on a distinguished road
If you find the answer , please let the Carroll boys know. They have less than 400 boys and play in D1.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-22-18, 09:40 AM
chaney620 chaney620 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 02-05-16
Posts: 11
chaney620 is on a distinguished road
It’s ridiculous!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-23-18, 10:51 AM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: North Side
Posts: 9,824
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
well we could have 7 divisions like Football and still have complainers
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-23-18, 11:59 AM
5x26 5x26 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 05-22-17
Posts: 94
5x26 is on a distinguished road
I don't know, Springboro is almost 1/3 smaller than Centerville and yet...

Elks will be watching the playoffs from the stands.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-23-18, 12:06 PM
belied dat belied dat is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 03-20-08
Location: not Ohio
Posts: 446
belied dat is on a distinguished road
What's your proposal?

There's a pretty even split between the divisions on membership, if I'm not mistaken. They all have right around the same number of schools playing in each division, so wouldn't that make it quite "fair"?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-23-18, 12:48 PM
TedLasso TedLasso is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-04-17
Posts: 14
TedLasso is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by belied dat View Post
What's your proposal?

There's a pretty even split between the divisions on membership, if I'm not mistaken. They all have right around the same number of schools playing in each division, so wouldn't that make it quite "fair"?
Having the same number of teams in each division makes it fair? St X has about 1200 boys in their school plays Carroll Thursday who has about 320 boys. Where’s the fairness in that?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-23-18, 12:56 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 9,203
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedLasso View Post
Having the same number of teams in each division makes it fair? St X has about 1200 boys in their school plays Carroll Thursday who has about 320 boys. Where’s the fairness in that?
That's the same issue football had a few years ago when they split D1 further which gave us the 7 total divisions in football. Super large schools were playing borderline D2 schools in football.

Now in Carroll's case, they are in D1 thanks to the competitive balance rule.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-23-18, 12:59 PM
Gview Gview is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-31-02
Posts: 1,146
Gview is on a distinguished road
Here's your trophy! Make sure everyone gets one.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-23-18, 06:07 PM
Dragonslayer22 Dragonslayer22 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-20-15
Posts: 113
Dragonslayer22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedLasso View Post
Having the same number of teams in each division makes it fair? St X has about 1200 boys in their school plays Carroll Thursday who has about 320 boys. Where’s the fairness in that?
Exactly..how does that make it fair? Despite the unfair classification of Carroll boys soccer..I bet there are a lot of D1 schools that wish they were still playing D2! I don't know all the details on the competitive balance but can someone tell me how Alter is still D2 in boys soccer with roughly the same amount of boys and success as Carroll?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-23-18, 09:37 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 9,203
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonslayer22 View Post
Exactly..how does that make it fair? Despite the unfair classification of Carroll boys soccer..I bet there are a lot of D1 schools that wish they were still playing D2! I don't know all the details on the competitive balance but can someone tell me how Alter is still D2 in boys soccer with roughly the same amount of boys and success as Carroll?
Actually Carroll has about 100 more boys than alter. And Carroll's competitive balance is much higher than alter's (more transfers). That's how Carroll is D1 and alter is d2.

Only 11 schools moved up to D1.

And success doesn't come into play on divisional assignments.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-24-18, 06:29 AM
steelboot steelboot is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 05-16-12
Posts: 172
steelboot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonslayer22 View Post
If you find the answer , please let the Carroll boys know. They have less than 400 boys and play in D1.
Carroll is a private school and therefore their players may count as more than 1 person. Come on man you have to know that by now. The private schools have an unfair advantage over public schools because they can essentially get/recruit players from multiple public school districts.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-24-18, 06:32 AM
steelboot steelboot is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 05-16-12
Posts: 172
steelboot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonslayer22 View Post
Exactly..how does that make it fair? Despite the unfair classification of Carroll boys soccer..I bet there are a lot of D1 schools that wish they were still playing D2! I don't know all the details on the competitive balance but can someone tell me how Alter is still D2 in boys soccer with roughly the same amount of boys and success as Carroll?
It has to do with where Carroll and Alter are getting their players from. 1 player can count for as much as 6 students (from my understanding).
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-24-18, 07:55 AM
belied dat belied dat is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 03-20-08
Location: not Ohio
Posts: 446
belied dat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedLasso View Post
Having the same number of teams in each division makes it fair? St X has about 1200 boys in their school plays Carroll Thursday who has about 320 boys. Where’s the fairness in that?
I don't ask for fairness. That's what NFHS is about.

What's your solution?

People complain all the time without coming up with any solution that truly makes sense. No one from Carroll was running through DII en route to three straight state championships (IIRC). Now, you have to step it up a notch and compete against more competition?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-24-18, 09:16 AM
ohiosportsnet9 ohiosportsnet9 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-04-17
Posts: 46
ohiosportsnet9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by belied dat View Post
I don't ask for fairness. That's what NFHS is about.

What's your solution?

People complain all the time without coming up with any solution that truly makes sense. No one from Carroll was running through DII en route to three straight state championships (IIRC). Now, you have to step it up a notch and compete against more competition?
Well they’re 19-0... I think they have stepped up
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-24-18, 10:14 AM
belied dat belied dat is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 03-20-08
Location: not Ohio
Posts: 446
belied dat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosportsnet9 View Post
Well they’re 19-0... I think they have stepped up
And...there's still complaining. So?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-24-18, 01:04 PM
DonJuanDeMarco DonJuanDeMarco is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 10-10-18
Posts: 14
DonJuanDeMarco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Actually Carroll has about 100 more boys than alter. And Carroll's competitive balance is much higher than alter's (more transfers). That's how Carroll is D1 and alter is d2.
Kids that went to 7th and 8th grade at a non-feeder school is a big reason for Carroll's jump, not necessarily high school-to-high school transfers.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-24-18, 02:25 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 9,203
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanDeMarco View Post
Kids that went to 7th and 8th grade at a non-feeder school is a big reason for Carroll's jump, not necessarily high school-to-high school transfers.
You're right, that could be the case too. Either way, they are being counted as level 2 in the competitive balance figures of which, I think Carroll's is close to 100.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-24-18, 05:33 PM
Dragonslayer22 Dragonslayer22 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-20-15
Posts: 113
Dragonslayer22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
You're right, that could be the case too. Either way, they are being counted as level 2 in the competitive balance figures of which, I think Carroll's is close to 100.
From what I was told and I don't proclaim it to be true...Carroll was allowed to pick one feeder school to represent their "district". That is one small school(I think they picked Ascension)out of the five feeder schools that Carroll has had for 50 years. So anyone coming from the other feeder schools is now considered out of district and counted against them in the public school whiners competitive balance. I have been out of the loop for a couple years now from Carroll but anyone who knows the program knows that 90% of the boys soccer team would have gone to Carroll anyway regardless of their success because they went to one of the Catholic feeder schools and most live in Beavercreek. Carroll soccer doesn't need voucher kids or transfers to make them good..never have.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-24-18, 05:55 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 9,203
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonslayer22 View Post
From what I was told and I don't proclaim it to be true...Carroll was allowed to pick one feeder school to represent their "district". That is one small school(I think they picked Ascension)out of the five feeder schools that Carroll has had for 50 years. So anyone coming from the other feeder schools is now considered out of district and counted against them in the public school whiners competitive balance. I have been out of the loop for a couple years now from Carroll but anyone who knows the program knows that 90% of the boys soccer team would have gone to Carroll anyway regardless of their success because they went to one of the Catholic feeder schools and most live in Beavercreek. Carroll soccer doesn't need voucher kids or transfers to make them good..never have.
Yes. Pretty much the same rules that all private schools had put on them thanks to competitive balance.

I agree that they probably would have gone there anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-24-18, 06:44 PM
PatsGrad83 PatsGrad83 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-24-03
Posts: 235
PatsGrad83
Who you giving a trophy too Gview?

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-24-18, 07:51 PM
concreek concreek is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-20-17
Posts: 56
concreek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonslayer22 View Post
From what I was told and I don't proclaim it to be true...Carroll was allowed to pick one feeder school to represent their "district". That is one small school(I think they picked Ascension)out of the five feeder schools that Carroll has had for 50 years. So anyone coming from the other feeder schools is now considered out of district and counted against them in the public school whiners competitive balance. I have been out of the loop for a couple years now from Carroll but anyone who knows the program knows that 90% of the boys soccer team would have gone to Carroll anyway regardless of their success because they went to one of the Catholic feeder schools and most live in Beavercreek. Carroll soccer doesn't need voucher kids or transfers to make them good..never have.
I'm sure there are some Carroll posters that can correct me if i'm wrong, but Carroll has at least 4 starters that never set foot in any of their possible feeder schools. I'd also say less than half their roster lives in Beavercreek.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-24-18, 08:13 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 9,203
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosportsnet9 View Post
Carroll isn’t in Beavercreek, it’s in Riverside
True, but he was responding to the other poster that said most live in Beavercreek.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-24-18, 08:33 PM
ohiosportsnet9 ohiosportsnet9 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-04-17
Posts: 46
ohiosportsnet9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
True, but he was responding to the other poster that said most live in Beavercreek.
True, My fault Winbypin
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-24-18, 08:38 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 9,203
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosportsnet9 View Post
True, My fault Winbypin
All good.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-25-18, 04:44 AM
Gview Gview is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-31-02
Posts: 1,146
Gview is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsGrad83 View Post

Trophies goes to the winners of the games on Nov. 10.

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-25-18, 12:14 PM
Dragonslayer22 Dragonslayer22 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-20-15
Posts: 113
Dragonslayer22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by concreek View Post
I'm sure there are some Carroll posters that can correct me if i'm wrong, but Carroll has at least 4 starters that never set foot in any of their possible feeder schools. I'd also say less than half their roster lives in Beavercreek.
Ok so it's more like 80% of starters are from feeders. Pardon my unfair advantaged Carroll math skills. I said I was out of the loop now that my daughter has graduated. So since you know....what schools are they from? You do know that any Dayton Public school student can get a government voucher to go to any school they choose. I don't agree with it but that's the way it is. Also ..where is all this unfair advantage recruitment from any district when it comes to their football team because they have been bad for a long time... Or do they only "recruit" in soccer? I highly doubt any parent is paying $8-10,000 just to play sports at Carroll .
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-25-18, 08:48 PM
PatsGrad83 PatsGrad83 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-24-03
Posts: 235
PatsGrad83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gview View Post
Trophies goes to the winners of the games on Nov. 10.

That's right....something earned!!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-26-18, 07:44 AM
Kickin Wing Kickin Wing is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-18-12
Posts: 343
Kickin Wing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonslayer22 View Post
Also ..where is all this unfair advantage recruitment from any district when it comes to their football team because they have been bad for a long time... Or do they only "recruit" in soccer?
Maybe Carroll needs better football recruiters...

then again, who cares about football, this is a soccer forum.

I love my soccer, but we all know that soccer is a rich kid sport. That's why all the Catholic schools and high end private schools are always doing well in soccer. That is where the rich kids go to school. Generally speaking.

Take the Southwest final 4 right now

Div 1
Anderson
Moeller (private)
St. X (private)
Turpin

Div 2
McNick (private)
Summit (private)
Tipp

Div 3
Troy Christian (private)
Dayton Christian (private)
Madeira
7 Hills (private)

I don't know how you can look at that and argue AGAINST competitive advantage. You have 1 public school in Div III, 1 in Div II, and 2 in Div I
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-26-18, 07:59 AM
ohiosportsnet9 ohiosportsnet9 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-04-17
Posts: 46
ohiosportsnet9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin Wing View Post
Maybe Carroll needs better football recruiters...

then again, who cares about football, this is a soccer forum.

I love my soccer, but we all know that soccer is a rich kid sport. That's why all the Catholic schools and high end private schools are always doing well in soccer. That is where the rich kids go to school. Generally speaking.

Take the Southwest final 4 right now

Div 1
Anderson
Moeller (private)
St. X (private)
Turpin

Div 2
McNick (private)
Summit (private)
Tipp

Div 3
Troy Christian (private)
Dayton Christian (private)
Madeira
7 Hills (private)

I don't know how you can look at that and argue AGAINST competitive advantage. You have 1 public school in Div III, 1 in Div II, and 2 in Div I
Delete your account. You're an idiot.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Premier Soccer Performance Coach Holla Boys Soccer 2 10-17-18 06:44 PM
Premier Soccer Performance Coach Holla Girls Soccer 0 10-15-18 08:17 PM
Wilson to Serve as Official Soccer Ball of the OHSAA in Fall 2018 Yappi Boys Soccer 7 05-18-18 01:30 PM
Shawnee State Men’s Soccer ID Camp ssusoccer Boys Soccer 1 03-21-18 02:12 PM
U.S. Soccer is trying to clarify the chaotic youth scene? sportsfanofyear Girls Soccer 6 05-12-17 08:49 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz