Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Football (NFL)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2101  
Old 09-21-18, 12:28 PM
MontetheCarlo MontetheCarlo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-20-08
Posts: 6,410
MontetheCarlo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
I'd say it's pretty much a certainty Hue will make a really bad decision at a critical moment in the season. It's also possible Hue and Dorsey feud over who should play QB. I don't think Dorsey has much to worry about.
He does that every time he puts on his headset.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2102  
Old 09-21-18, 12:48 PM
BR1986FB's Avatar
BR1986FB BR1986FB is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-01-05
Location: Browns Town !!! Better?
Posts: 20,181
BR1986FB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm.1019 View Post
Baker is still a rookie and we don't play the Jets every week (and our schedule is tough), so I wouldn't start printing playoff tickets quite yet. If we win 5 or 6, Dorsey can still can Hue and bring in his guy. If we win 8, then it gets dicey.
And that's part of the reason I believe that it may have been Dorsey's call on starting Baker. They start Tyrod, Hue's record sucks, and they bring Mayfield in towards the end of the year in mop up time. Built in excuse to fire Hue as the damage has been done. If Hue starts Mayfield the whole year, and they win 7, he has the "look what I did with the rookie" excuse to buy him another year.
Reply With Quote
  #2103  
Old 09-21-18, 12:51 PM
TylerDurden TylerDurden is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-12-01
Posts: 15,252
TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Why give up a 3rd round pick to trade for a QB you're bringing on to tank a season?
Reply With Quote
  #2104  
Old 09-21-18, 12:55 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,295
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Does anyone really think Dorsey is intentionally trying to tank the season and gave away a 3rd rd pick to do it, just to get rid of Hue?
Reply With Quote
  #2105  
Old 09-21-18, 01:03 PM
mcm.1019 mcm.1019 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-20-16
Posts: 146
mcm.1019 is on a distinguished road
Personally, I don't think Dorsey was tanking. I think he was trying to protect his rookie QB in the early season. Let his line gel a bit. And minimize the pressure.
Reply With Quote
  #2106  
Old 09-21-18, 01:05 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 4,756
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Pretty obvious they weren't sure Mayfield would be ready to step in week 1, so they got Tyrod to prevent the need to throw in an unprepared rookie.

However, Tyrod is much worse, and Mayfield seems to be much more prepared than anticipated. Not starting him week one is either a coaching or front office mistake as it's impossible to think such a glaring difference in talent didn't show up in practice.
Reply With Quote
  #2107  
Old 09-21-18, 01:06 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 35,221
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
I doubt they would have traded for Taylor if they thought he'd play this poorly. Clearly a busted trade.

Mayfield didn't look significantly better than Tyrod in pre-season play. It could just be a flash-in-the-pan game where a defense was caught off-guard. Obviously have to wait and see how he performs after teams have tape on him.
Reply With Quote
  #2108  
Old 09-21-18, 01:10 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,536
thavoice is on a distinguished road
They got Turrod and named him a starter pretty early on to ease the external pressure on Baker up until now all the while ramping him up in practices and such to work him into the lineup.

With him as a named backup the scrutiny wasn't quite as much the last 6-8 weeks media and fan wise and it fed the frenzy of the fans to want the backup.

They did it to delay the media storm
Reply With Quote
  #2109  
Old 09-21-18, 01:13 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,536
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Also, going into the season you would have to believe they expected to go 0-2 to start the season no matter whom they started.

Right?

So instead of start him (face it, no one expected him to look THAT good in his first half of action) and lose 2 games and possibly make his and the fans confidence wane?

The way it set up was perfect. Take the pressure off, take your lumps in the first few weeks to give him a little more time.


Who knew they would get that tie. They are now 1/2 game ahead of where they excpted after three game.
Reply With Quote
  #2110  
Old 09-21-18, 05:11 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,719
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR1986FB View Post
Then apparently you like losing. Do you repeatedly put your hand on a burning stove over & over again too?
lol


I can tolerate it. One more draft.

I understood what Sashi was doing, but his slavish adherence to his blueprint spoke to his woeful lack of talent-related judgement. Passing on Wentz because it wasn't his "draft the QB year" was inexcusable.

You ready for "Hue, Deux"? Marvin North ? The Hue-bris should get pretty deep when he sees himself as a winner. We may be stuck with him for a while if we have too much Mayfield in 2018.
Reply With Quote
  #2111  
Old 09-21-18, 05:17 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,719
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR1986FB View Post
I'm sure it was mentioned but it's funny how the "crappy O-Line/running game" looks significantly better with competent QB play.

I know Hue has to play the party line but his post game presser implying he's not committed to a QB for Oakland is ridiculous.
The fact is that the D can't crash in on Mayfield like they can Tyrod, too. Every DC knows TT. The O-line has a ways to go, better results or not. Very encouraging, though.
Reply With Quote
  #2112  
Old 09-21-18, 05:22 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,719
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
They got Turrod and named him a starter pretty early on to ease the external pressure on Baker up until now all the while ramping him up in practices and such to work him into the lineup.

With him as a named backup the scrutiny wasn't quite as much the last 6-8 weeks media and fan wise and it fed the frenzy of the fans to want the backup.

They did it to delay the media storm
They not only wanted to ease external pressure, they wanted to create internal pressure within Mayfield himself. It's who he is, and he knows well exactly what climbing out of this hole is like. First rounder but a walk-on again, in a way.
Reply With Quote
  #2113  
Old 09-21-18, 05:26 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,719
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
I doubt they would have traded for Taylor if they thought he'd play this poorly. Clearly a busted trade.

Mayfield didn't look significantly better than Tyrod in pre-season play. It could just be a flash-in-the-pan game where a defense was caught off-guard. Obviously have to wait and see how he performs after teams have tape on him.
They expected more than that from him, for sure.

Still makes Buff look dumb, even at this level of performance from him. Josh Allen needs Taylor more.


Just like Mayfield lacks TT's break-away escapability, TT is never ever going to throw the ball like that. There were three drops that clearly were mis-timed balls that got by the hands because they just plain had more on them.
Reply With Quote
  #2114  
Old 09-21-18, 05:30 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,719
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Also, going into the season you would have to believe they expected to go 0-2 to start the season no matter whom they started.

Right?

So instead of start him (face it, no one expected him to look THAT good in his first half of action) and lose 2 games and possibly make his and the fans confidence wane?

The way it set up was perfect. Take the pressure off, take your lumps in the first few weeks to give him a little more time.


Who knew they would get that tie. They are now 1/2 game ahead of where they excpted after three game.
I agree.

Not a SB contending year, even starting 3-0, so....
Reply With Quote
  #2115  
Old 09-21-18, 11:13 PM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 16,567
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
They expected more than that from him, for sure.

Still makes Buff look dumb, even at this level of performance from him. Josh Allen needs Taylor more.


Just like Mayfield lacks TT's break-away escapability, TT is never ever going to throw the ball like that. There were three drops that clearly were mis-timed balls that got by the hands because they just plain had more on them.
Buffalo sucks but in no way do they look dumb for getting a high third rounder for Tyrod
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 Canton McKinley Bulldogs Football Season IUDOGS Football 564 09-21-18 10:26 AM
2018 Elite High School Girls Invitational (powered by Nike) LE Hawks Girls Soccer 31 05-09-18 08:22 PM
2018 Elite Boys High School Invitational (Powered by Nike) LE Hawks Boys Soccer 4 04-11-18 12:01 PM
Wolverine-Buckeye tournaments - Over 1,000 entries for 2018 already Wolverine-Buckeye TC Baseball 0 12-28-17 11:21 PM
2017-2018 Basketball Schedules Yappi Boys Basketball 60 11-30-17 01:53 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz