Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.22 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-17, 12:23 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Watching the Buckeyes beat up on Heidelberg this afternoon so I thought I add a bit more.

What was unusual about the Burns' and Allen house in the show was that IT was their house from the outside (on Maple St. in Beverly Hills) and the interiors were copies of the inside of their house - done that way for the comfort of the stars. The outside, up stairs' loft above the garage where George would watch the show you were watching while you continued to watch him (!) is still there, along with the home.
George Burns lived in the house until his death ten years ago.

The sponsors were Maxwell House Coffee and Carnation Milk.

For a few of us , early tv was really early tv. I was born in '51 and from the time I can remember we had a console tv. Probably had something to do with my three teenage sibblings being hep to the current scene! We probably got three stations, if my dad turned the aerial with his huge plumber's pliers toward either Toledo or Columbus. Cleveland - forget about it.

Anyway, I believe the first big year for tv was '48, so it caught a few of us in its and our infancies.
What I recall the most from a very young age, were the silly comedies - "My Little Margie", "Oh Suzzanha" (Sp. ?). The Romper Room type shows, the cartoon shows around supper time, Captain Kangaroo and the Sat. morning cartoons (it still seems strange to me that there are no network cartoons on Sat. morning; of course, they went the way that Sears and Pennys are going).
It is hard to believe with our 24-hour news cycle that the network news use to last but 15 minutes each evening. I remember a very serious looking man named Douglas Edwards doing the CBS news each night.
I believe somewhere in the movie "Forest Gump", Forest and Lt. Dan are watching tv on New Year's Eve and the anthem is being played (with the flag blowing softly on the screen) as the show goes off the air for the night. I remember tv going dark at night like this and coming back on the next morning around 7:00.

We don't do politics and that's fine by me so it's not really fair for me to pop off and then say no one can speak. So, if anyone has a comment, have at it. Most definitely, we are all friends here.

I'll shut my yapper but first with all that is going on in the world from Puerto Rico basically being destroyed , along with the Virgin Islands, and the Southern Florida and the Houston area's devastation, let alone the psycho in North Korea, it's good to know that Trump is arguing with the NFL and banning Step. Curry from the White House visit.

JB ask if anyone was watching the Viet Nam series on PBS. You didn't have to grow up then - although some of us certainly did - to fully appreciate the sad, sad, saga this was. Very interesting viewing. This should be forced viewing for any leader contemplating the start of another massive war. On an odd but interesting note, the song choices have fit well also.
I've been watching it. I'm much younger than most on here, so I wasn't alive during that era, and my history classes never got that far except once when we just started learning about the war when the school year ended. Even after viewing the entire documentary, I probably still won't have a solid understanding of that war, but when my prior encounters with Vietnam era subject matter have come from watching Platoon and Chuck Norris' Missing in Action trilogy and listening to songs like Poison's "Something to Believe in", it can only broaden me.
Old 09-25-17, 04:33 AM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Thus, the origin of the expression (because of the previous bathers that evening), "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater".

Common practice in long ago days, that the entire family would bathe on Sat. night, starting with dad. A large family would probably produce a rather grey cast to the water, so, jokingly, one had to be careful to not toss junior out the back door!

I better make that the golden quartet.
With us, yes, it was probably tradition, especially considering my grandma was one of 12 kids. Of course, we were probably trying to save money by not "wasting" good old "semi-clean" water.
I always wondered though if we spent more in cleanser cleaning up the ring in the tub than we saved in only having one batch of bathwater.
Aah, the things we remember .
Old 09-25-17, 11:18 AM
Varsity

rdlwolverine is on a distinguished road
Earliest TV memories for me were the Saturday morning cartoons (Mighty Mouse was my favorite) and Milky the Clown (out of Detroit), sponsored by Twin Pines Dairy of course. I can remember having an argument with my older brother about what to watch when I wanted to watch Milky the Clown and he wanted to watch a baseball game. Being the older brother, he won and my TV sports viewing hasn't slowed down since. My other early favorites were all the westerns - Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, Bronco Lane, Sugarfoot, Cheyenne, Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson etc - somewhere in there I switched from wanting to be a cowboy when I grew up to being center fielder for the Yankees. My dad didn't watch a lot of TV, but did like Combat on Tuesday nights which he said was most realistic (he served in Europe during WWII). It would be interesting to watch some old reruns of that now as an adult.
I have caught a good chunk of the Viet Nam series, but not all of it. Very well done - not a surprise considering Ken Burns's involvement.
Old 09-25-17, 03:24 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
I also liked Mighty Mouse, Ruff and Ready, Beanie and Cecil, Top Cat, etc. There was a time when I was probably 10-12 when a station out of Toledo showed a different Hanna Barbara (sp.?) every evening around 6:30.

I recall this so well that I know that Huckleberry Hound was on Monday, Quick Draw McGraw was on Friday, Yogi Bear was on Thursday, and Snagglepuss had the Tuesday or Wednesday slot and Pixie and Dixie (and Mr. Jenks, the house cat) the other night.

For me my all-time favorites were Underdog (which included Klondike Kat, and Tennesse Tuxedo) and Rocky. Tennesse Tuxedo, featured a Don Adams talking Penguin (Tennesse) and his friend, a huge Walrus named Chumley (his chum, of course!). Within their short episode that would often visit a brilliant, but absent - minded professor named Mr. Whoopi. "W.H. Whoopi - you're the greatest", Tennesse would proclaim after Whoopi had educated the guys on some aspect of whatever hair-brained scheme they were involved in (actually every well done in a minute or less).

Someone probably noticed but the voice of Rocky, June Fornay, passed away very recently and was 95 or so. When the Grammys did its tribute to those who had passed her picture and name were shown.

Rocky was an adult cartoon that appealed to kids or vice versa. Great take on the Russina spies, Boris Batenoff, and Natasha Fa-tal-e. Mr. Peabody and his "Wayback machine" were great, along with his boy, named Sherman, and fractured Fairy tales were silly retells with a lot of word play and groaners.

And, I'm sure some of you recall that the voice of Underdog was done by veteran comedian, Wally Cox.

I liked the cowboy shows also and was partial to Gunsmoke, Paladin and The Rifleman. I actually, had a plastic model of the rapid fire weapon that Lucas McCain used that "fired" little plastic bullets about 20 feet. Once when I was a kid and playing with another guy, I inadvertently turned and hit him slightly in the ear with the end of the gun. It bleed ever so slightly and I went home. About 10 minutes later the kid and his dad showed up on our front porch and his dad told my dad that I had shot his son in the head!
The guy and I will see each other every once in awhile and to this day he is convinced that I "winged" him that chilly day back in about '60.

As for other shows, I loved the comedies - the dumber, the better.
Shows like Perry Mason and The Defenders would be enjoyed in another 8 years or so but not then. My folks would watch anything - Ed Sullivan , Red Skelton (loved him, too), etc.

It's funny; we got three stations and it still seems now like there was more on then!

Another part that is funny to me is that I started that dedade as such a boy; by August of '70 I was married. Not recommended.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: