Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-15-17, 12:23 PM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
You're right, most Americans know better...which is why Trump is president.
This is funny
Old 09-15-17, 01:40 PM
All American

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
One other thought, in 2014 ESPN suspended Bill Simmons, one of their most popular personalities, 3 weeks for saying Roger Goodell was lying about the Ray Rice tape(which it now seems was an accurate statement.)

How is that possibly worse than calling the President a White Supremacist?
Old 09-15-17, 02:13 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Sarah Huckabee Sanders hit with ethics complaint over call for ESPN to fire Jemele Hill

Quote:
The Democratic Coalition, an anti-Trump Super PAC, has filed an ethics complaint against White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders with the Office of Government Ethics for her comments calling on ESPN host Jemele Hill to be fired.

The group claims federal law prohibits government employee from influencing “a private entity’s employment…solely on the basis of partisan political affiliation.”

“When Sarah Huckabee Sanders called for Jemele Hill to be fired by ESPN, she crossed the line and put herself in dubious legal territory,” Coalition Chairman Jon Cooper said in a statement Thursday. “Even in Donald Trump’s America, there’s still such a thing as freedom of speech. For Sanders to publicly call for the dismissal of a Trump critic is bizarre and disturbing, to say the least. If anyone is to be fired, it should be her.”
Read more:
https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...hill/23210648/

If you read the actual law, it's not even close to a violation:

Quote:
18 U.S. Code 227 - Wrongfully influencing a private entity’s employment decisions by a Member of Congress or an officer or employee of the legislative or executive branch

US Code
Notes

prev | next
(a) Whoever, being a covered government person, with the intent to influence, solely on the basis of partisan political affiliation, an employment decision or employment practice of any private entity—
(1) takes or withholds, or offers or threatens to take or withhold, an official act, or
(2) influences, or offers or threatens to influence, the official act of another,
shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than 15 years, or both, and may be disqualified from holding any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States.
(b) In this section, the term “covered government person” means—
(1) a Senator or Representative in, or a Delegate or Resident Commissioner to, the Congress;
(2) an employee of either House of Congress; or
(3) the President, Vice President, an employee of the United States Postal Service or the Postal Regulatory Commission, or any other executive branch employee (as such term is defined under section 2105 of title 5, United States Code).
(Added Pub. L. 110–81, title I,  102(a), Sept. 14, 2007, 121 Stat. 739; amended Pub. L. 112–105,  18(a), Apr. 4, 2012, 126 Stat. 304.)
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/227
Old 09-15-17, 02:15 PM
Go Buckeyes

The key phrase is:

"solely on the basis of partisan political affiliation"

For all we know, Jemele Hill could be a registered republican and just doesn't like Trump. Sanders comment had nothing to do with Hill's affiliation. Sanders was only reacting to the offensive comment that Jemele Hill made on Twitter. It's not like Sanders targeted Liberals at ESPN and asked for them to be fired.
Old 09-15-17, 02:35 PM
All American

Daddy is on a distinguished road
Hurricane damage in Texas and Florida. North Korean missiles. Terror attacks in England. ESPN.

One of these things doesn't belong front and center on the mind of the president of the United States.
Old 09-15-17, 02:38 PM
All Ohio

Altor is on a distinguished road
Yappi: Forget that part. She has to take, withhold, influence, offer, or threaten to do so, an official act.

She did not say "if ESPN doesn't fire her, we aren't passing this legislation."

This is a nothing burger.
Old 09-15-17, 02:53 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Does not say party affiliation, and certainly seemed politically partisan to me. Regardless, I didn't realize the WH can pressure private companies to fire employees for expressing political views period? Scary thought.
Old 09-15-17, 03:24 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
Of course they don't want it to end. Without identity politics what would they campaign on?
Transgender bathrooms?

But you're absolutely right y2h the dems are so committed to identity they could never survive a racism free society. So they push identity politics because it's the best way to keep racism alive & thriving.
Old 09-15-17, 03:28 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over The Hills View Post
"RACISM".......yawn.

What the hell does it really mean anymore?
How many "racists" do you know?
I live in a diverse major city and off the top of my head cannot think of any legit examples of "RACISM" around here.
I see a lot of successful people of all races.
I see a lot of sorry azz people of all races WITH LOTS OF HATRED AND EXCUSES.

The Left has so oversaturated society with charges of racism, bigotry and other name calling that there is not much weight behind it.

People are tired of being called racists and bigots.
This is one reason why Trump won the election.

A friend asked me who I was voting for on primary day in spring 2016 and I said Trump......because he was the only one willing to take on the Left and FIGHT THESE DIGUSTING PEOPLE.

The Left's goal is to smear and generate hate toward their opposition.
They are the angry haters but paint their opposition as the haters.

Trump is a "White Supremicist"....lol.

Hill is the hater.
The discouraging thing is that so many on the left don't see this playing out as you describe. They just keep doubling and even tripling down on their charges of "racism", "white supremacy" and "white privilege" which only makes matters worse. And you're right the charge of racism no longer carry's any weight.
Old 09-15-17, 04:48 PM
All Ohio

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Does not say party affiliation, and certainly seemed politically partisan to me. Regardless, I didn't realize the WH can pressure private companies to fire employees for expressing political views period? Scary thought.
To what pressure are you referring? A statement that it's a fire-able offense? I suppose it could be "peer pressure" and designed to get possible viewers/advertisers to think about the company they are dealing with. But, by itself it has no teeth. Like I said, it would completely different if the WH statement was "ESPN better fire her or we are going to pass a tax on every camera installed in a sports stadium." That kind of pressure IS illegal.

And I don't see how it's any different than politicians commenting about any other perfectly legal thing a private company does, but doesn't fit with their own ideology.

Is this statement really all that scary?
Quote:
He wouldn't be working for me after any of those statements.
Old 09-15-17, 04:57 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Then how do you read this:

"solely on the basis of partisan political affiliation"

To me, that says that someone who affiliates with a group. I don't want the White House to say that anyone should be fired because they affiliate their-self with Democrats, Republicans, Antifa, NORML, Pro Life Action League, NRA, or ACLU.

That is what this law is trying to prevent. It is not to be used to defend offensive speech by one individual. Saying that Kathy Griffin should be fired would also be protected. Just crazy that people are trying to make this law as wide as possible to restrict someone else's freedom of speech whom they disagree with.

Words have consequences but asking the government to restrict someone through imprisonment is much scarier than the WH making a point about offensive speech by an ESPN employee.
Old 09-15-17, 11:34 PM
All American

bigkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
just be quiet...... snow Flake.....and yet u have NO problem with that crap coming out J Hill mouth...classic......go put your mask on and throw crap thru windows..... or did you run out of crayons for your coloring book
Old 09-16-17, 12:13 AM
All World

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Do you get your posts from madlibs or something?
Old 09-16-17, 09:17 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Listen snowflake, I know your hero has a long history of lashing out, suing, or trying to bully anyone who ever criticized him, and that's why you love him, but as Potus he has a bigger plate than calling for the firing of every no-name reporter who hurts his feelings.

And ESPN (or any private organization) should make it very clear to the WH that they alone will make any personnel decisions regarding their own employees.
Old 09-16-17, 11:27 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Hillary supporters (which is the essentially a different way to say Jemele Hill supporters) continue to whine that misogyny is why folks don't like her, no matter what she does or says. Some gingko biloba to go with that irony supplement?

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...gyny?CMP=fb_gu

In other breaking news, Republican schadenfreude continues its upward trend over the last 10 months.

Last edited by Zunardo; 09-16-17 at 12:05 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: