Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-13-18, 04:16 PM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Did they move the equator? Last time I checked Spain was north of the equator. Maybe you meant Argentina?
Sarcastic response to USA70PP saying he was the best in the southern hemisphere, when he plays most of his matches in the northern hemisphere
Old 06-13-18, 04:22 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Sarcastic response to USA70PP saying he was the best in the southern hemisphere, when he plays most of his matches in the northern hemisphere
Sorry. Have not been following the back and forth too closely.
Old 06-13-18, 04:49 PM
All World

You arent missing much
Old 06-13-18, 06:02 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Yes

Detroit hosted the first indoor WC games at the Silverdome.

I don't believe Columbus was on the preliminary list of host cities.
My first, and so far only, World Cup game was Romania-Switzerland in the Pontiac Silverdome in 1994. The Swiss won 4-1. That was the second game in the Silverdome that year, as the USA played an earlier game there.

FIFA did not allow them to turn on the A/C, for some reason, and it was a sweat bath with 60,000+ fans all inside on a hot June day. We were advised to bring sweat towels...as fans! I can't wait for the Qatar fiasco in 110 degree heat!

It was an unforgettable experience, watching thousands of European soccer fans chanting and carrying on. RO-MA-NIA!
Old 06-13-18, 06:44 PM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
To be expected from someone who thinks Messi is better than Ronaldo. I would submit that Messi hasn't been as great as in the past since Neymar moved to PSG.
Old 06-13-18, 09:38 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
My first, and so far only, World Cup game was Romania-Switzerland in the Pontiac Silverdome in 1994. The Swiss won 4-1. That was the second game in the Silverdome that year, as the USA played an earlier game there.

FIFA did not allow them to turn on the A/C, for some reason, and it was a sweat bath with 60,000+ fans all inside on a hot June day. We were advised to bring sweat towels...as fans! I can't wait for the Qatar fiasco in 110 degree heat!

It was an unforgettable experience, watching thousands of European soccer fans chanting and carrying on. RO-MA-NIA!
I do believe they are allowing AC in Qatar. Still, that sounds miserable to attend, even worse to play.
Old 06-13-18, 09:49 PM
All Ohio

Tardis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I do believe they are allowing AC in Qatar. Still, that sounds miserable to attend, even worse to play.
Qatar won the bid saying that they would AC outdoor stadiums but then came back and said it would not work/ would be to expensive. That's why the moved their world cup to December, right in the middle of most European seasons,
Old 06-13-18, 10:34 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
To be expected from someone who thinks Messi is better than Ronaldo. I would submit that Messi hasn't been as great as in the past since Neymar moved to PSG.
I root for Ronaldo. My wife likes when he takes his shirt off so I usually get some. So go Portugal!!!
Old 06-14-18, 05:59 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
Qatar won the bid saying that they would AC outdoor stadiums but then came back and said it would not work/ would be to expensive. That's why the moved their world cup to December, right in the middle of most European seasons,
Oh wow, missed that. What an absolute debacle that has been. FIFA should have pulled it from Qatar the second they said it was too expensive. They wouldn't because then Sepp would have to pay back a lot of money. But they should.
Old 06-14-18, 09:51 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
I didn't realize the 2022 World Cup will be played in December. Average temps in Qatar for December are: 77 F high and 61 F low. Quite reasonable temps, but moving the entire WC to December is a lousy compromise just to make it work in Qatar. I wonder how much money exchanged hands for this decision. Qatar isn't even a moderately well-known soccer nation.

I'm more puzzled at the decision to increase to 48 teams in 2026. Seems dumb. Sixteen 3-team groups playing only two group games...top team goes to 16-team knockout stage. Why is that better? I don't care for it.
Old 06-14-18, 10:08 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I didn't realize the 2022 World Cup will be played in December. Average temps in Qatar for December are: 77 F high and 61 F low. Quite reasonable temps, but moving the entire WC to December is a lousy compromise just to make it work in Qatar. I wonder how much money exchanged hands for this decision. Qatar isn't even a moderately well-known soccer nation.

I'm more puzzled at the decision to increase to 48 teams in 2026. Seems dumb. Sixteen 3-team groups playing only two group games...top team goes to 16-team knockout stage. Why is that better? I don't care for it.
Like anything in sports it is all about the $s.

Someone said earlier, the smart move was to move it out of Qatar to the US as they have the infrastructure all set up and ready to go. The Qatar delegation though was going to blow the whistle on all the folks that got bribes and the list was full of politically connected folks that didn't want their names out in the public thus the move to December as a compromise.

The move to 48 was to get more games so TV has more inventory to sell sponsorship. The way they got the votes was to almost double the teams from voting rich Asia, Africa, and North America organizations. It's actually a great thing for the US and Mexico as they basically have to just show up to get one of the 6.5 bids for CONCACAF. Believe it or not North America will have more bids than South America in 2026 thanks to all those small Caribbean nations that have a vote.
Old 06-14-18, 11:18 AM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm more puzzled at the decision to increase to 48 teams in 2026.
Make sure the host(s) can get in?
Old 06-14-18, 12:31 PM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
You can bet there will be many questions about the draw. Can you imagine the uproar if Germany, Spain and France were all drawn into one pool and Australia, Saudi Arabia and Iceland in another with only one team going to the round of 16 from each group? Do not at all like this group of three with only one advancing idea.
Old 06-14-18, 12:50 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Looking back the Detroit area and the Silverdome was an odd choice.

Probably picked just to show that the US could pull off what was previously never done
Old 06-14-18, 12:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
Make sure the host(s) can get in?
the hosts are always automatically in
Old 06-14-18, 12:52 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Wish they would have picked a better opening match. Yawn
Old 06-14-18, 01:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
They always try to get the home team an easy win to kick things off, drama filled Spain vs Portugal tomorrow in the unofficial Iberian Derby should not stink.
Old 06-14-18, 03:10 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
You can bet there will be many questions about the draw. Can you imagine the uproar if Germany, Spain and France were all drawn into one pool and Australia, Saudi Arabia and Iceland in another with only one team going to the round of 16 from each group? Do not at all like this group of three with only one advancing idea.
FIFA already does something similar to "seeding" teams to avoid your scenario. All the top-ranked teams (Germany, Spain, France, etc.) are placed in a separate pot and are put in different groups. The second pot includes the second tier teams, the third pot includes the third tier teams, etc. This ensures the groups are somewhat balanced and the top powerhouses generally avoid each other until the knockout round.
Old 06-14-18, 03:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
It had to have Russia and usually they angle for a matchup for the hosts to win.

Can't wait to see who Qatar gets matched up with in 4 years.
Old 06-14-18, 03:23 PM
All World

^^^Qatar's current FIFA ranking is # 98 (out of 211 FIFA teams). Actually not as bad as I thought, but they will still be underdogs against just about anybody in the WC.

The worst FIFA ranking in this year's World Cup is Russia at #70.
Old 06-14-18, 03:44 PM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
The US will never be a dominate world power in soccer. In the pecking order of sports, soccer is down the list of sports our BEST athletes play. Meanwhile, the powers of soccer either are so poor they don't play any other sports than soccer, or the pick out athletes when they are 8-9-10 years old and groom them to be national soccer players. Personally I think that is wrong, but for competing on the world stage, that's what happens. It's the olympic model of training athletes.

Our best athletes play football and basketball.
Old 06-14-18, 04:23 PM
All Yappi

If soccer was about pure athleticism, the African nations would dominate. It's a skill game.
Old 06-14-18, 08:06 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
It's both. You have to be athletic too.
Old 06-15-18, 09:52 AM
All World

What is it with Spain, soccer players, and tax problems? Does Spain have some crazy tax laws or something?
Old 06-15-18, 09:55 AM
All Yappi

45% income tax if you make more than $700k
Old 06-15-18, 09:58 AM
All World

So i assume Ronaldo tried to hide it?
Old 06-15-18, 10:04 AM
All Yappi

I'm sure Switzerland loves professional soccer players
Old 06-15-18, 10:14 AM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe it's 45% if you make above $60k or so - 45% above $700k really wouldn't be much different than the US
Old 06-15-18, 10:31 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
I believe it's 45% if you make above $60k or so - 45% above $700k really wouldn't be much different than the US
I don't think most other countries have the amount of deductions available on their income tax that the US has, especially on real estate.
Old 06-15-18, 10:33 AM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxati...#Current_rates

Looks like it's 45% above $60k euros

That is essentially outright theft. No wonder their country is in the toilet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: