Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-26-18, 02:31 AM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
I don't get why the head coaches always get thrown under the bus after something like this comes out. Meyer paid him to do a certain job, he's not his babysitter. As soon as he was found out, he was fired. I could have co-workers that abuse their wives and would have no idea because I don't walk up to them every day and asked if they hit their wife this morning.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-18, 07:41 AM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Lets hope they end up with a better coach for the receivers,it's a good group.
Old 07-26-18, 09:45 AM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
It's a sign of our times, OSU football coach fired for domestic violence in what seems to be a long time cover up, the wrestling fiasco and now a swim / diving coach with groping and sex allegations.
And this isn't an OSU thing, it happens so much at our college campuses across the country. Local media, especially the big time programs are often shielded from the truth or even worse, look the other way so they don't lose their valuable leads. It's just really sad that the quest to be part of a college sports program blinds so many people from doing what's right.
What cover up ? Here is what Meyer and OSU knew about Smith : https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...015-allegation
Old 07-26-18, 12:51 PM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
What cover up ? Here is what Meyer and OSU knew about Smith : https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...015-allegation
And we don't know anything about the relationship between Z. Smith and his wife. She might be one of those bitter, crazy women that hate men and blame all their troubles on them? Maybe she isn't and he's a turd? Maybe they both are scum? Who knows? Anyway, he was a decent recruiter, but a mediocre WR coach at best. No great loss. Hartline will have more cred with the recruits anyway, being that he accomplished something in the NFL.
Old 07-27-18, 06:54 AM
All Yappi

Wish Hartline the best,a fine young man that will work well with the receivers.
Old 07-28-18, 02:33 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
I don't get why the head coaches always get thrown under the bus after something like this comes out. Meyer paid him to do a certain job, he's not his babysitter. As soon as he was found out, he was fired. I could have co-workers that abuse their wives and would have no idea because I don't walk up to them every day and asked if they hit their wife this morning.
I dunno. I often ask co-workers if they have stopped beating their wives.

Now, as to whether they be truthin' or not.....
Old 08-01-18, 04:25 PM
All World

joesports is on a distinguished road
I am tired of sports teams being required to be the moral voice of America ... this kind of stuff should not be up to them ... our legal system needs to be held more accountable in these situation ... these things need to be reported to the police and the police/courts to investigate and determine guilt or not ... if guilty, the perpetrator needs to go to jail ... where is the outrage against our legal system that seemingly does virtually nothing in these cases?
Old 08-01-18, 04:34 PM
All Yappi

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
If Urban knew, he is required by law to report it. If he broke the law, he should be fired. And if he didn’t know, his wife broke the law by not telling him since she is also employed by the university. What are some of you not understanding?
Old 08-01-18, 04:35 PM
All Yappi

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
And we don't know anything about the relationship between Z. Smith and his wife. She might be one of those bitter, crazy women that hate men and blame all their troubles on them? Maybe she isn't and he's a turd? Maybe they both are scum? Who knows? Anyway, he was a decent recruiter, but a mediocre WR coach at best. No great loss. Hartline will have more cred with the recruits anyway, being that he accomplished something in the NFL.
This post did not age well
Old 08-01-18, 05:39 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Ohio State with a classic overreaction before getting all facts and coming to a thoughtful decision. Have to appease the angry mob these days
Old 08-01-18, 05:53 PM
All Yappi

I think the AD needs to explain where he has been hiding...BAM!
Old 08-01-18, 10:24 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
If Urban knew, he is required by law to report it. If he broke the law, he should be fired. And if he didn’t know, his wife broke the law by not telling him since she is also employed by the university. What are some of you not understanding?
I think we understand just fine. Just not sold on all the facts of the case. Seeing as this story has changed just about every hour, seems a little early to implicate anyone of breaking anything.

I've not seen anyone saying if he knew about it and did nothing then he deserves to keep his job.

He's required by his contract to report any misconduct like this, not the law. Only mandated reporters are required by law to report these types of things.

Last edited by Gh0st; 08-01-18 at 10:39 PM..
Old 08-01-18, 10:35 PM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Just a reminder, 5 months ago everyone was 100% certain that Sean Miller had to be fired ASAP to preserve whatever integrity the school had left. If Arizona had done that, it would have been a complete disaster. A thorough investigation needs to be done, even if it means dragging into the season.
Old 08-02-18, 06:56 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
If Urban knew, he is required by law to report it. If he broke the law, he should be fired. And if he didnít know, his wife broke the law by not telling him since she is also employed by the university. What are some of you not understanding?
Law or rule?
Old 08-02-18, 07:44 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Law or rule?
Rule. Just like in politics, BJF has no idea what he's talking about.

Meyer has a Title IX clause in his newest contract. If he is in violation of it, it gives OSU the option to fire Meyer with cause, meaning they do not have to pay him the remainder of his contract. OSU does not have to fire Meyer because that clause is in there. However, one risk in not firing him would be the potential involvement of the Department of Education slapping the University with a Title IX violation, which can mean fines or loss of federal funding. But there is also a risk that if OSU fires Meyer with cause, Meyer could sue the University to be reinstated or seek damages, should it be found that his dismissal on Title IX grounds is outside the scope of the law.

OSU can also fire Meyer without cause. Legally, they will have then fired him just because, for no reason at all. But they then must pay Meyer the remainder of his contract. He would have no legal recourse to be reinstated or seek damages. This is probably what is going to happen.

To be clear, no one: Urban Meyer, Shelley Meyer, Zach Smith, or anyone else employed at the University or associated with the University is being criminally charged with anything.
Old 08-02-18, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Just a reminder, 5 months ago everyone was 100% certain that Sean Miller had to be fired ASAP to preserve whatever integrity the school had left. If Arizona had done that, it would have been a complete disaster. A thorough investigation needs to be done, even if it means dragging into the season.
Agreed. Nothing wrong with taking their time on this and getting it right
Old 08-02-18, 10:53 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Ohio State with a classic overreaction before getting all facts and coming to a thoughtful decision. Have to appease the angry mob these days
Agreed.
Old 08-02-18, 11:42 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
How is it an overreaction? They placed him on paid administrative leave while everything gets sorted out. It was the right move. The last thing OSU needs is to mishandle this whole thing.
Old 08-02-18, 12:20 PM
All World

Yeah, I don't get the statement that they've already overreacted. They seem to be handling things in a measured, professional manner actually.

I also don't know why Bluth is so upset here. He's the guy who claimed Urban was no longer a great coach last season.
Old 08-02-18, 12:20 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
I don't think a head coach should be responsible for the actions of his coaches; of course I didn't think Paterno should have been either.[Not a fan of either school] The severity of the offences is different, but the principle remains the same, those who advocated Paterno being fired have no leg to stand on in this case if they don't demand that Meyer should be fired.
Old 08-02-18, 12:22 PM
All World

idk about that. I think there's a pretty massive gulf between continuing to let a serial child molester host kids in your facilities, and continuing to let a guy who beat up his wife coach your wide receivers.
Old 08-02-18, 12:29 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
idk about that. I think there's a pretty massive gulf between continuing to let a serial child molester host kids in your facilities, and continuing to let a guy who beat up his wife coach your wide receivers.
If in fact that Paterno actually knew what was going on, instead of the supposition that he knew.
I am in no way saying that the offences are the same or even in the same ballpark, but the principle remains the same.
Old 08-02-18, 12:30 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
I think a lot of people are ignorant about what all the hubbub is about here. It's not about Meyer having to be responsible for the actions of his coaches, because he shouldn't be. What Meyer is responsible for is taking the appropriate actions when one of his coaches does screw up, not try and cover it up and then lie about it, if that's indeed what happened.

Last edited by ronnie mund; 08-02-18 at 01:04 PM..
Old 08-02-18, 12:57 PM
All World

Quote:
I think, after Penn St, OSU doesn't really have a choice. They have to get Meyer away from the program, investigate, and come to a conclusion. The university handling the investigation the right way is the only thing that might save them in the court of public opinion if he did know what was going on.

I agree with you that there is some overreaction though, from the public and the media. A lot still has to be looked into before saying he covered anything up or not.
Old 08-02-18, 02:49 PM
All Yappi

I just don't think they should have put him on leave until they had figured out what happened. Felt like a quick trigger
Old 08-02-18, 02:57 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I just don't think they should have put him on leave until they had figured out what happened. Felt like a quick trigger
...or they know more than we do.
Old 08-02-18, 03:41 PM
All Ohio

m14brian is on a distinguished road
Guys.. he is gone. Only a matter of time. Witch Hunt is in full defcon 1. Maybe at some point Americans will wake up to the fact our freedoms are being taken away in the name of political correctness. Due Process has already been removed.
Old 08-02-18, 06:00 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They know exactly what happened. It was a quick trigger but they had no choice in today's climate.
Old 08-02-18, 06:33 PM
All World

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by m14brian View Post
Guys.. he is gone. Only a matter of time. Witch Hunt is in full defcon 1. Maybe at some point Americans will wake up to the fact our freedoms are being taken away in the name of political correctness. Due Process has already been removed.
I'm curious as to what freedom you are referring that is taken away in the name of political correctness.
Old 08-02-18, 09:15 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 48 View Post
I'm curious as to what freedom you are referring that is taken away in the name of political correctness.
He said due process...