Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-16-18, 12:40 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Certainly does, some media people were suggesting Hurts should have transferred after last season, now Tua Tagovailoa is injured with a broken hand ( I believe ), Bama would he in not a very good situation right now if Hurts had. Even though I do not like Alabama, I admire the way Hurts handled his benching.
No it does not lol. Pulling Hurts, after starting all season, because he was ineffective in the national championship game is not even remotely close to the same thing as making a decision on a starter in April and not telling a kid, who has already graduated and can transfer without sitting, until August.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-18, 12:43 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Why? What happens if Haskins is the starter and gets hurt 1st game of the year ? I don't think OSU would want to play a red shirt frosh the rest of the season as the starter. Meyer gets paid 7.5 mill. to win championships not to help a back-up player who could be a vital part of your team to transfer. These same fans that say Meyer should tell Burrow whether he is the starter or not right now ( if Meyer knows ) will be upset with Meyer if OSU loses a shot at the national championship game because he had to play a red shirt QB before he was ready to be a starter.
Why? Because he'd be holding a player hostage. If it has to be explained to you why that is wrong, then I don't think this is going to be conversation worth having.
Old 04-16-18, 01:41 PM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Why? Because he'd be holding a player hostage. If it has to be explained to you why that is wrong, then I don't think this is going to be conversation worth having.
It is really wrong. A player who has got his college paid for who will have many connections to get jobs just being at OSU. Like I said if Haskins gets hurt, I am sure OSU fans will be very understanding if the Bucks were too struggle because they did not have a capable back up QB. Nobody is holding a player " hostage " Burrow can leave and go anywhere as soon he graduates. Plus coaches do a lot worse when a H.S. player is committed for a year or more and then a couple of weeks before signing date are told to look elsewhere, or players who are on the team are told their no longer wanted, to take a hike because the coach wants to make room for some new hot recruit. I have a lot more sympathy for those type of players than a player who is one injury away from being the starter.

Last edited by Stirred not Shaken; 04-16-18 at 01:53 PM..
Old 04-16-18, 01:45 PM
All World

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
I'm an OSU fan. I'd prefer we potentially be without a good backup QB than have our head coach intentionally lie to a 21 year old and screw up his career options.
Old 04-16-18, 02:19 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
I'm an OSU fan. I'd prefer we potentially be without a good backup QB than have our head coach intentionally lie to a 21 year old and screw up his career options.
+1. Can't believe anyone would argue the opposite, yet here we are.
Old 04-16-18, 02:53 PM
All American

Quote:
Yeah, coaches never with hold the truth from players or 18 year old H.S. recruits.

Personally I would handle it this way ( not being Meyer ), if I was coach ( thankfully for OSU fans I am not) if Burrow came to me directly and asked who was the starter as of now, I would tell him that is the coaching staffs decision and I would let him know this fall because a lot can change between now and Sept. these are college kids after all ( who knows about injuries or off the field trouble ) and if he didn't like the response he is free to go.

Last edited by Stirred not Shaken; 04-16-18 at 03:13 PM..
Old 04-16-18, 04:41 PM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Pretty sure Burrow is old enough to make his own decisions. He could walk at any time after he graduates in May and could go anywhere he wishes. Now what would be dirty is if Urban told him he is the starter and then changed his mind a week before the season.
Old 04-16-18, 10:06 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
QB is such a tricky position when it comes to the NCAA game, so many moving parts and it is so tough to project how a HS QB will do in college. Add in that there is only 1 starting spot that is usually cast in stone as "QB1" and they almost always come in early so they can also graduate early which leads to incredible free agency through out the NCAA. I am usually very much for player movement in the NCAA but these QBs jumping ship when things don't go 100% their way does lead to serious personnel dilemmas for the top programs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
......Burrow put in the extra work and planned ahead to have just this kind of leverage. Much respect.
The kid deserves to leave if he isn't awarded the starting job. He's paid his dues and has the chops.
Old 04-16-18, 10:12 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
That'll hurt come recruiting time.
bingo

Burrow, then Haskins.

Meyer has balanced both obligations to school and recruit well over the years.

Anyone recall Meyer's openness with the kid prematurely sporting a Scarlet block "O" tattoo - "the Prototype"?
Old 04-16-18, 10:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
+1. Can't believe anyone would argue the opposite, yet here we are.
How would you like to work for Stirred ?
Old 04-17-18, 12:17 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Same. Burrow deserves the truth now and should be a starter somewhere else this upcoming season
Old 04-17-18, 12:21 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
No need to lie to the kid. Tell him the truth and let him make his decision. If he leaves, we have Tate Martell as a backup QB.
Old 04-17-18, 02:49 PM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
He'll be the starter till he gets hurt,going to throw a beautiful ball to all these very good receivers with year of experience.He is a passing QB,nice pass in tight coverage and I wish him all the best this season as a Buckeye... He has earned this chance...BAM!
Old 04-18-18, 06:22 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Same. Burrow deserves the truth now and should be a starter somewhere else this upcoming season
Should be a starter because he looked good in a spring game ?
Old 04-18-18, 06:32 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
No need to lie to the kid. Tell him the truth and let him make his decision. If he leaves, we have Tate Martell as a backup QB.
No one is lying, if a player asks the head coach where he stands after spring ball, I would tell him it is an open competition and if he doesn't like it he can leave.

Last edited by Stirred not Shaken; 04-18-18 at 06:49 AM..
Old 04-18-18, 06:34 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
That's really not worthy of a response but I'll do so anyway. Do you really not think a guy who is neck and neck in the starting QB race at OHIO STATE with, in Urban Meyer's own words, "the best arm talent he's ever recruited", who also has happened to perform well in mop up duty, practice and in the spring game, would not be able to find a decent team to start for this upcoming season?
Old 04-18-18, 06:48 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
That's really not worthy of a response but I'll do so anyway. Do you really not think a guy who is neck and neck in the starting QB race at OHIO STATE with, in Urban Meyer's own words, "the best arm talent he's ever recruited", who also has happened to perform well in mop up duty, practice and in the spring game, would not be able to find a decent team to start for this upcoming season?
Could he start for a middle road BIG team probably, or maybe a top ten team who knows ? But "should" he be a starter, only if he proves it on the practice field.
Old 04-18-18, 07:33 AM
All World

Quote:
No one is lying, if a player asks the head coach where he stands after spring ball, I would tell him it is an open competition and if he doesn't like it he can leave.
In your scenarios that you laid out, yes someone would be lying.
Old 04-18-18, 08:01 AM
All World

Quote:
Should be a starter because he looked good in a spring game ?
How is anyone named a starter when they haven't already played in real game action?? Dumb question.
Old 04-18-18, 08:03 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
I think the situation is Burrow's own fault. Who decided that with Meyer being the coach of Ohio state that this was the best choice for a QB with Burrow's talents. If I was Burrow I would go to Meyer and say I made a big mistake by using my heart and saying I wanted to play for the Buckeyes, Now I am older and wiser and because i have the choice and chance to play elsewhere I must take that opportunity to make sure I get my best shot of playing now and in the future.
Old 04-18-18, 08:20 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
I think the situation is Burrow's own fault. Who decided that with Meyer being the coach of Ohio state that this was the best choice for a QB with Burrow's talents. If I was Burrow I would go to Meyer and say I made a big mistake by using my heart and saying I wanted to play for the Buckeyes, Now I am older and wiser and because i have the choice and chance to play elsewhere I must take that opportunity to make sure I get my best shot of playing now and in the future.
What are you talking about? Burrow is the ideal QB to play in Urban Meyer's system. Significantly better passer than JT Barrett and a slightly above average runner for a QB.
Old 04-18-18, 08:54 AM
All World

Burrow's skill set seems somewhat similar to Alex Smith, although clearly not on the same level.
Old 04-18-18, 08:54 AM
All Yappi

Taco, are we being trolled ?

Wtf sport are these guys fans of ?
Old 04-18-18, 03:04 PM
Junior Varsity

Buckle Knuckle is on a distinguished road
This is obviously a good problem to have but looking at our history of QB's Dwayne Haskins will be game 1 starter. I also think this is the right decision End of discussion.
Old 04-20-18, 09:56 AM
Junior Varsity

Considering Matta's ties to Sean Miller, anyone concerned that the FBI probe might start to creep up on football coach's? Hoping Urban does not get popped by the feds!
Old 04-20-18, 10:35 AM
All World

No.
Old 04-20-18, 11:19 AM
All World

My coworker's brother's friend got a speeding ticket last week. We all better watch out now, we might be at risk of getting dinged ourselves!
Old 04-20-18, 11:41 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
My coworker's brother's friend got a speeding ticket last week. We all better watch out now, we might be at risk of getting dinged ourselves!
Are you being serious? None of us want Meyer to leave but there is a huge possibility of football coach's being apart of the investigation. You're a knucklehead!
Old 04-20-18, 02:30 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckle Knuckle View Post
Are you being serious? None of us want Meyer to leave but there is a huge possibility of football coach's being apart of the investigation. You're a knucklehead!
It's clear you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. Not a single football program have, or will be, connected to the investigation. There's no reason for shoe companies to throw money at high school football players when the NFL decides what can be worn on the field and they spend minor amounts in endorsing players as compared to the NBA.
Old 04-20-18, 06:10 PM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What are you talking about? Burrow is the ideal QB to play in Urban Meyer's system. Significantly better passer than JT Barrett and a slightly above average runner for a QB.
If he is why was he not the no 2 last year? I really feel Meyer thinks of him as the backup not the starter. If Burrow wants to be a starter, it will have to be for someone other than Ohio State.