Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-01-18, 03:57 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
What is too hot?

Got up into the 90s today. Personally I like the hot weather, especially when we have air conditioning to go into to cool down. But I did hear alot of complaining about it being too hot. So do you like this weather? When does it become "too hot?"
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-18, 04:13 PM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
When you work outside.
Old 07-01-18, 05:26 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Woody and Company /610 AM/ Columbus

was talking about the hottest jobs in this weather....

These were some of the call ins...

Roofer

Asphalt paving ~ those guys that spread it with the big rake

one guy worked in a hot-dip galvanizing plant where he dipped heated metal into 800+
degree liquid zinc.

I had an uncle that worked for Republic steel,his job was to grab a red hot steel wire
with a pair of tongs and turn it 180 to pass it back thru reducing dies.

I had a buddy (Best Man at my last wedding) was a loader on a tank in Nam,
Tank painted OD green, no air in them back then, temp outside 115 and
humidity at 70+.

:>---

SF
Old 07-01-18, 05:39 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Humidity sucks. Today it got pretty hot, I spent most of the day inside.
Old 07-01-18, 06:19 PM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
This humidity is brutal.

If I'm at my desk for work during the week 80's and even low 90's won't faze me since I'll be outside very sporadically and in AC the rest of the time.

When I am running around outside refereeing a soccer game, that same weather is absolutely draining. The humidity is a huge factor. I did a game Friday night when it was low 90's but the high humidity had me feeling light-headed. Flip-side is I did a tournament a month ago where I was doing back-to-back-to-back games all weekend. Temps were between 95-100 but it didn't feel as bad because the humidity was lower.
Old 07-01-18, 06:28 PM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
I remember my baseball playing days... I used to catch and wore all of that hot gear. We played a double header where I caught both games, one of which went 10 innings. I ended up having a heat stroke and had to spend the night in the hospital. Itís no joke when itís this hot.
Old 07-01-18, 08:35 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
My hour-long morning bike ride wasn't bad considering I did not get out until 10. I stayed in the shade most of the time and geared down one throughout. Other than that I stayed in the house all day. Planned to go out at 8 and sip one, but it was still too hot to enjoy. I think humidity was down today, which - as mentioned - makes all the difference. Drink that water, guys!

Last edited by EagleGuy; 07-01-18 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-01-18, 08:47 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
My brother is home from D.C. He says it is worse there.
Old 07-01-18, 11:25 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
It's been 105+ in Tucson for the past 10 days, but as the old joke goes, it's a dry heat. Humidity hovers around 8%, and having lived in Arlington, Va., for over 30 years, I'll take the dry heat over the the 95% humidity any day of the week.
Old 07-01-18, 11:50 PM
All Ohio

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Golfed 9 holes early this morning, and it was already sweatiní hot by the time I finished at 10:30. By 11:30, was helping a buddy with some gutterwork. Done by early afternoon and couldnít wait to return to central air at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
I remember my baseball playing days... I used to catch and wore all of that hot gear. We played a double header where I caught both games, one of which went 10 innings. I ended up having a heat stroke and had to spend the night in the hospital. Itís no joke when itís this hot.
In spring, played HS ball; then, I also played Hot Stove every summer growing up. Played different positions throughout the years: pitcher, shortstop, and (like you) catcher. Also had to fit in two-a-days in late summer. Hot as hell, but somehow I donít remember the heat bothering me as much as it does now Ė maybe because I was just a kid or maybe because it seemed like no one had AC back then, so we were all just used to the heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
My brother is home from D.C. He says it is worse there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
... having lived in Arlington, Va., for over 30 years, I'll take the dry heat over the the 95% humidity any day of the week.
Also have 2 brothers from the DC area who can attest to that (one lives in Arlington).

Talking about a different kind of heat, I donít post on the DF much because both brothers work for the Fed gov., and when they come home (like this past Mem. Day weekend), the Ďconversationsí tend to get heated and a bit out of hand , considering one is just as passionately anti-Trump as Happy Harry is (dare I say, maybe more?!) and the other voted for Trump and was telling me about some meeting he had with Mitch McConnell (donít ask - I donít understand his job!).

Anyways ... itís enough.
Old 07-01-18, 11:53 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's been 105+ in Tucson for the past 10 days, but as the old joke goes, it's a dry heat. Humidity hovers around 8%, and having lived in Arlington, Va., for over 30 years, I'll take the dry heat over the the 95% humidity any day of the week.
Agreed on the dry heat. My brother lives in eastern Washington. On one early July visit I paid him, there were days when it was over 90 but only 20% or less humidity. I once went for a run out there in those conditions and made a note of how long it took to break a sweat: 9 minutes, or more than 1 mile at my normal pace at the time. I could live with that.

On days like Sunday, I break a sweat just typing a post like this one. To me, too hot is when you break a sweat while sitting around doing absolutely nothing.
Old 07-02-18, 01:35 AM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
My running days are behind me, but I try to take a 3.5 mile walk each day. If it's a hazy day, meaning the sun is blocked, I think nothing of going out when it's 104. But if the sun is out, I figure that it adds at least 10 degrees to the official temp. On those days I go out at 6:30 pm when the sun is setting.
Old 07-02-18, 03:04 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
"Not breaking a sweat"

Sounds dangerous. Heat is heat. Is it you're not sweating or it's evaporating and not dripping? I think I'd probably forget to drink water, if I'm not dripping. Probably a new habit you had to pick up when moving from a place like here to a place like there?

This hot wind blasts the front of my house. The window AC can't keep up when there's wind, the house is too old and leaky. I still put a fan on me or just sit on the porch.

Stay cool.
Old 07-02-18, 04:46 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
eib once again in his own world
Old 07-02-18, 06:52 AM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
SEAZ, our favorite vacation spot. 105 can be comfortable, if I'm in the shade. Step out into the sun and I can feel my skin getting hot.
Old 07-02-18, 07:30 AM
All Yappi

MM...

AM...

EGA
Old 07-02-18, 07:31 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
I usually avoid golfing when itís over 90, mostly because the course is usually still crowded and guys play a lot slower...I canít stand waiting around and being that hot.
Old 07-02-18, 07:38 AM
All Yappi

Golf....

Golden Tee for me.

EGA
Old 07-02-18, 08:03 AM
All Ohio

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Old 07-02-18, 08:09 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I usually avoid golfing when itís over 90, mostly because the course is usually still crowded and guys play a lot slower...I canít stand waiting around and being that hot.
I played yesterday AM and the course was empty by 12:00, course manager had to send folks home because there was nobody there. It's not too bad if in a cart and the course has some tress so you can duck under and get a break from the sun, the tee boxes and greens were brutal though...
Old 07-02-18, 12:09 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Recently, I have been imagining the op's question considering various combinations of heat and humidity. This is my take:

Heat Humidity Total Feels
70 70 140 Good
75 75 150 OK
80 80 160 Tolerable
85 85 170 Testy
90 90 180 Rough
95 95 190 Abeach

Of course, any other combination - say 95 Heat and 85 Humidity (180 Total = Rough) could be used. Or, simply listen to the weatherperson who said yesterday's temp (92-96, depending on the location) and heat index (98-102) were bru-tal. Sitting in the a/c house yesterday, evidently I did not realize how how hot and humid it was!

This morning's bike ride at 8:00 was nice. Golf: I usually take the summer off, now. DC: I have a client there and hope I do not have to go back until fall!
Old 07-11-18, 03:44 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
I finally experienced real heat this past week. Mrs. Zunardo and I flew to Las Vegas to see her nephew for a few days, then other relatives in Los Angeles and Sacramento. Was 100 degrees in the shade when our plane landed in LV a week ago Sunday - wow.

First full day in Vegas, the nephew thought it would be a great idea to take us to an outdoor outlet mall (like Tanger) in the afternoon - temp 107. I can't believe we're doing this. The only respite was to walk inside a store, where there's no place to sit. Finally I found a concrete bench in the shade outside and sat there for 45 minutes waiting on my wife. Let me tell you, the heat really soaks into your bones, and actually felt good in my joints. But it wasn't fun.

I'd heard the "but it's a dry heat!" refrain by folks who'd been there. What I didn't count on was how dry my nostrils, sinuses, and voicebox would get. I quickly started drinking a quart of water every morning and evening, along with refills during the day. Whew!

Got to LA, not too bad, mid-80's, no humidity. We stayed at her nephew's house - he insisted - but his air conditioning hasn't worked in 4 months. He said, "Well, we haven't needed the AC, it's been a lot cooler until you just got here. We'll leave the windows open - we'll be fine" ......... hmmmm.

Drove to Sacramento, was 108 crossing the Santa Monica mountaings, and 100 in Sac, but the hotel's AC worked - no problem.

Drove back to LA. Now the Santa Monica mountains are at 117, and LA is 100 degrees. Went looking for a hotel, but they were all booked up. Our nephew just smiled and said "Stay at my place, you'll be fine ....." It was very gracious of him to offer us a place to sleep while we were there. We may not have slept well those last two nights, but family's the most important thing.
Old 07-11-18, 04:01 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
I finally experienced real heat this past week. Mrs. Zunardo and I flew to Las Vegas to see her nephew for a few days, then other relatives in Los Angeles and Sacramento. Was 100 degrees in the shade when our plane landed in LV a week ago Sunday - wow.

First full day in Vegas, the nephew thought it would be a great idea to take us to an outdoor outlet mall (like Tanger) in the afternoon - temp 107. I can't believe we're doing this. The only respite was to walk inside a store, where there's no place to sit. Finally I found a concrete bench in the shade outside and sat there for 45 minutes waiting on my wife. Let me tell you, the heat really soaks into your bones, and actually felt good in my joints. But it wasn't fun.

I'd heard the "but it's a dry heat!" refrain by folks who'd been there. What I didn't count on was how dry my nostrils, sinuses, and voicebox would get. I quickly started drinking a quart of water every morning and evening, along with refills during the day. Whew!

Got to LA, not too bad, mid-80's, no humidity. We stayed at her nephew's house - he insisted - but his air conditioning hasn't worked in 4 months. He said, "Well, we haven't needed the AC, it's been a lot cooler until you just got here. We'll leave the windows open - we'll be fine" ......... hmmmm.

Drove to Sacramento, was 108 crossing the Santa Monica mountaings, and 100 in Sac, but the hotel's AC worked - no problem.

Drove back to LA. Now the Santa Monica mountains are at 117, and LA is 100 degrees. Went looking for a hotel, but they were all booked up. Our nephew just smiled and said "Stay at my place, you'll be fine ....." It was very gracious of him to offer us a place to sleep while we were there. We may not have slept well those last two nights, but family's the most important thing.
The other thing about that dry heat in LV is the wicked wind, when it is blowing it is like you are standing in front of a heat register except the air around you is 100+ degrees.
Old 07-11-18, 05:16 PM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Any of you people ever spent a summer in Peshawar, Pakistan?
Old 07-11-18, 05:55 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
smoggy places on hot days, yeech.

I've been (not worked) in a steel foundry. Had a shower on an equator crossing cargo ship, separated from the stack by only a steel wall. The bunk wasn't much better. But probably the hottest air blast I experienced would be a tarmac debarkation in the M.E. on a 110 day. Fortunately that didn't last long.
Old 07-11-18, 08:12 PM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
In many of those "warm" places there is an odor that goes with it that you really can't describe.
Old 07-11-18, 09:38 PM
All World

troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
Nice tonight, but it will be hotter than a firecracker tomorrow afternoon.
Old 07-12-18, 08:57 AM
All Yappi

Salute

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: