Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-07-18, 09:12 AM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Le Tour de France

Anybody watching the Tour?
Several pile-ups today in the first stage.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-18, 09:20 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
the real pile up

:>---

SF
Old 07-07-18, 10:44 AM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Le Tour de Cheats.
Old 07-07-18, 05:20 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
I watched the Tour de France when it was better known as the Tour de "Lance". I defended Lance, but he was juicing bigtime. Boy, was I naïve. In hindsight, it was quite obvious, based on how dominant he was against the other world class cyclists. Even with all the cheating scandals, I'll still watch some of the Tour, but not as much as I used to. How can you watch it and not be cynical?

Along with Lance, Roger Clemons was the other athlete that surprised me when he was caught juicing. I just thought Clemons was some incredible HOF pitcher that kept getting better with age. Again, in hindsight, it was obvious: major league pitchers just don't get bigger, faster and stronger, and still throwing 98 mph fastballs, when they hit the age of 40...at least not without juicing...not even Roger Clemons.

Last edited by BlackHawk; 07-08-18 at 04:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-07-18, 08:42 PM
All Ohio

I watch mostly for the scenery. The wife and I still view our 15 plus years in Europe fondly.
Old 07-07-18, 11:04 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
Anybody watching the Tour?
Several pile-ups today in the first stage.
Caught the NBSCN's prime time replay of this stage. Always seems to be a bad crash or two on the opening stage - field size is at its max, many riders are nervous, and everyone is trying to be at the front of the peloton for different reasons. Not enough room out there for everyone.

Even for as dirty as the sport has been since nearly the beginning and for how farcical some of the performances have been over the years, I still bring myself to watch every July. If I can't watch on TV, I can usually find a working link for Eurosport's live stream each day.

Big Peter Sagan fan here. Always been a fan of his bike handling skills dating back to his MTB days and love his racing style where he just trusts his gut and knows when to make a move and which wheels to follow in the final sprint.
Old 07-08-18, 01:58 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
I watched the Tour de France when it was better known as the Tour de "Lance". I defended Lance, but he was juicing bigtime. Boy, was I naïve. In hindsight, it was quite obvious, based on how dominant he was against the other world class cyclists. Even with all the cheating scandals, I'll still watch some of the Tour, but not as much as I used to. How can you watch it and not be cynical?

Along with Lance, Roger Clemons was the other athlete that surprised me when he was caught juicing. I just though Clemons was some incredible HOF pitcher that kept getting better with age. Again, in hindsight, it was obvious: major league pitchers just don't get bigger, faster and stronger, and still throwing 98 mph fastballs, when they hit the age of 40...at least not without juicing...not even Roger Clemons.
Same here. I was amazed at how long he got away with it (sadly says something about the sport) and more disappointed in LA than any other athlete.

More dangerous than a hothead is a juiced hothead. RC throwing a broken bat at Mike Piazza:

Old 07-08-18, 03:17 PM
All Yappi

the_big_toe will become famous soon enough
Quote:
As I understood it, almost all of the cyclists were juicing big time. In fact, I think that was the main point many used as evidence against Lance - that all of the other cyclists were juicing so, in order to be as dominant as he was, Lance almost MUST have been juicing. Of course, to me at least, that meant that the playing field was even (if everyone was juicing) and therefore Lance still stood out as better than the rest. I always wondered if they put the second and third and fourth place finishers (and on down through the field) under the same scrutiny, would they come up clean? If not, how far down the finishers list do you go to name a champion? Until you find someone clean?
Old 07-08-18, 03:23 PM
All Yappi

I think some juice is better than others.
Old 07-08-18, 03:26 PM
All Ohio

As I recall, it was only after newer, highly sensitive tests that it was discovered.
Reminds me of the outcry about asbestos and its dangers. Time was, in the 40s and that time frame asbestos shingles on your house was going to save you in case of a fire. I recall in our house we had a sheet of asbestos against the wall behind the heat stove in the living room as well as the cook store in the kitchen. How times change.
Old 07-08-18, 04:38 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_big_toe View Post
As I understood it, almost all of the cyclists were juicing big time. In fact, I think that was the main point many used as evidence against Lance - that all of the other cyclists were juicing so, in order to be as dominant as he was, Lance almost MUST have been juicing. Of course, to me at least, that meant that the playing field was even (if everyone was juicing) and therefore Lance still stood out as better than the rest. I always wondered if they put the second and third and fourth place finishers (and on down through the field) under the same scrutiny, would they come up clean? If not, how far down the finishers list do you go to name a champion? Until you find someone clean?
Some good points.

If the riders were ALL taking illegal performance enhancing drugs, then Lance was still the best. But, as arizonawildcat points out, maybe some juicing is better than others. Maybe Lance's team REALLY knew how to dope, better than the others. Lance might have had better drugs, better techniques, better doctors, etc. Who knows?
Old 07-08-18, 06:09 PM
All Yappi

Did any of you see the 60 Minutes episode about how a mechanic had developed a small engine that could be hidden in a racing bike and help propel a bike up a hill? They showed film of a crash where the pedals on an overturned bike kept chugging away.
Old 07-08-18, 10:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_big_toe View Post
In the 7 years that Armstrong won the TdF, there were only 2 occasions when riders who finished on the final podium (top 3 overall) were not busted for doping at some point in their careers.

Also, as others have stated, some riders are better at doping than others. Armstrong was obviously better than others at not getting caught. Whenever asked about doping, Armstrong loved trotting out the "I've never failed a drug test" line which is quite different than saying "I've never used performance-enhancing drugs." Armstrong eventually admitted (in his interview with Oprah, IIRC) that he used just about everything (EPO, testosterone, steroids, etc), and he had the money to afford to have better doctors overseeing his doping regimen.
Old 07-08-18, 10:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Did any of you see the 60 Minutes episode about how a mechanic had developed a small engine that could be hidden in a racing bike and help propel a bike up a hill? They showed film of a crash where the pedals on an overturned bike kept chugging away.
I saw that one. At least 1 former pro was always suspected of "mechanical doping," but the whole notion blew up a year or two ago when a female racer from Belgium got caught with a motor in 1 of her bikes. I believe they now randomly check bikes via x-ray. Wish 1 of my bikes had a motor in it. There are days when I don't feel much like trying when the road goes uphill.
Old 07-08-18, 11:19 PM
All Ohio

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/enhancing-the-bike-2/
Old 07-09-18, 05:06 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
I saw that one. At least 1 former pro was always suspected of "mechanical doping," but the whole notion blew up a year or two ago when a female racer from Belgium got caught with a motor in 1 of her bikes. I believe they now randomly check bikes via x-ray. Wish 1 of my bikes had a motor in it. There are days when I don't feel much like trying when the road goes uphill.
Are mopeds still a thing? They were popular a while back. I rented mopeds back in 1986 while on my honeymoon on Sanibel Island, FL. It was fun to get around the island for a couple hours, but they're pretty nerdy...even back then.
Old 07-09-18, 07:12 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Are mopeds still a thing? They were popular a while back. I rented mopeds back in 1986 while on my honeymoon on Sanibel Island, FL. It was fun to get around the island for a couple hours, but they're pretty nerdy...even back then.
They're a thing if you have been found DUI/DWI.

I imagine some folks who ride them regularly do so due to the low cost, too. Can't some of the better ones go 50+ mph? Don't know I would want to...

Years (and years) ago, I was kidding a female co-worker (a cutie) about mopeds and she informed me she had one (a toy for her). Crash and burn.
Old 07-10-18, 01:51 AM
All Ohio

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Can't some of the better ones go 50+ mph?
Have a nephew who rode a moped last year, before he started working on getting his driver’s license. He’s a starter on the FB (D2) and track teams and is probably one of the most popular kids in his class (I didn’t know this last bit of info, until a classmate’s parent filled me in). He has plenty of friends who he’s always hanging out with, is a good student, dates a popular, pretty cheerleader, is always sporting expensive athletic wear, etc. I would see him and his FB buddies riding around town (with those small, triangular backpacks on their backs that hold their video game controllers, lol) on mopeds that definitely had some speed and looked more like dirt bikes than mopeds. So, guess they’re not considered as nerdy anymore.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: