Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-08-18, 11:00 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Woman checks out $5100 worth of library materials

And never returns them. Of course sha cannot be found.

What surprises me is why did they allow 134 books and DVDs to be borrowed at the same time. Seems like a suspicious transaction from the start.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/news/loca...r-returns-them
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-18, 01:21 AM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Can you say inside job?
Old 07-09-18, 06:50 AM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
“The bottom line is we take our responsibility stewarding taxpayer resources very seriously ...,” library Director Daniel Slife said Thursday.

Apparently not, as you allowed an unknown person walk out with 138 DVD's and books.
Old 07-09-18, 07:31 AM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Libraries should be closed and everyone should just go read stuff on the Internet.
Old 07-09-18, 07:57 AM
Varsity

foreword is on a distinguished road
we still have public libraries? do people go there to look up info in the encyclopedias? do they still have card catalogs that use the Dewey Decimal system?
Old 07-09-18, 08:35 AM
All World

Yes.
I doubt it.
Yes.
Old 07-09-18, 09:28 AM
All Ohio

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreword View Post
we still have public libraries?
Of course. On hot summer days, where else (besides Starbucks) do you think the homeless go for their free coffee, magazines, and AC?
Old 07-09-18, 09:57 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan1795 View Post
Of course. On hot summer days, where else (besides Starbucks) do you think the homeless go for their free coffee, magazines, and AC?
not sure about the homeless, but in college a couple times we drove up 33 to nelsonville ohio. there is a place called the fun barn. affordably priced movie theater. significantly better ac than the local library imo
Old 07-09-18, 10:18 AM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
not sure about the homeless, but in college a couple times we drove up 33 to nelsonville ohio. there is a place called the fun barn. affordably priced movie theater. significantly better ac than the local library imo
We are pretty lucky to have the Fun Barn. Its so cheap
Old 07-09-18, 10:35 AM
All Ohio

Never heard of it, but who wouldn't want to hang out in a place called the Fun Barn?
Old 07-09-18, 10:47 AM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
My local library only lets you check out 8 items at a time. Yes we still go there. My youngest has to write papers on obscure crap and that's the only place to get them.
Old 07-09-18, 11:52 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
We are pretty lucky to have the Fun Barn. Its so cheap
similar to the prices at athens bars, it's actually mind-blowing how cheap it is

Quote:
Never heard of it, but who wouldn't want to hang out in a place called the Fun Barn?
now that obama built the bypress around nelsonville, you don't get stuck in traffic from people trying to visit rocky boots... you can make it from cbus in well under an hour as long as you dont get caught speeding by the police.
Old 07-13-18, 07:35 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Libraries should be closed and everyone should just go read stuff on the Internet.
A proposal so modest, it's downright humble!

Quote:
we still have public libraries? do people go there to look up info in the encyclopedias? do they still have card catalogs that use the Dewey Decimal system?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
Yes.
I doubt it.
Yes.
Actually, even modern libraries still carry encyclopedia sets on their bookshelves, but probably not as many as they used.

Also, I'd say most large public libraries have converted to an on-line Internet search-style catalog. I can't remember the last time I saw card catalog at the Columbus libraries - maybe 20 years ago? I can see older small-town libraries still using them, though.

Quote:
we still have public libraries?
foreword, you need to "check out" the Columbus library system, one of the top ones in the country. They've adapted to the Internet age while still keeping an impressive collection of hardcopy books and materials available.
Even the smallest branches in the lower-income areas of the city are always busy.

Best use of my tax dollars I've ever seen, I'll always support a library levy. Anything that promotes education through reading is a good thing.

Re the OP and the woman who checked out a plethora of materials - I've been known to check out 20 books and 20 CD's at a time. The library staff in my area and at the Main branch pretty much recognize me because I go there so much, and they don't even blink.

Yesterday, I had a Steely Dan CD collection that was overdue and someone requested a hold on it, I was getting urgent phone calls and emails. The libary clerk just smiled when I turned it in, and said, "Don't worry - we took care of the fines."

I love the library.
Old 07-14-18, 08:24 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Also, I'd say most large public libraries have converted to an on-line Internet search-style catalog. I can't remember the last time I saw card catalog at the Columbus libraries - maybe 20 years ago? I can see older small-town libraries still using them, though.
You're right. Anymore I only go to our local library, if they don't have it they will get it.

In the past I would use that online search to find who had what I wanted and drive there to get it myself.

Quote:
The library staff in my area and at the Main branch pretty much recognize me because I go there so much, and they don't even blink.
When I was a kid we lived across the street from the library. Everybody there knew who I was.
Old 07-14-18, 08:57 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
You can't shut down the libraries in urban areas. The homeless wouldn't have anywhere to spend their days.
Old 07-14-18, 09:42 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
A proposal so modest, it's downright humble!

Actually, even modern libraries still carry encyclopedia sets on their bookshelves, but probably not as many as they used.

foreword, you need to "check out" the Columbus library system, one of the top ones in the country. They've adapted to the Internet age while still keeping an impressive collection of hardcopy books and materials available.
Even the smallest branches in the lower-income areas of the city are always busy.

Best use of my tax dollars I've ever seen, I'll always support a library levy. Anything that promotes education through reading is a good thing.

Re the OP and the woman who checked out a plethora of materials - I've been known to check out 20 books and 20 CD's at a time. The library staff in my area and at the Main branch pretty much recognize me because I go there so much, and they don't even blink.

Yesterday, I had a Steely Dan CD collection that was overdue and someone requested a hold on it, I was getting urgent phone calls and emails. The libary clerk just smiled when I turned it in, and said, "Don't worry - we took care of the fines."

I love the library.
So not only do you vote for the government to steal money from others to fund your library usage, but you put yourself above the law and don't pay library fines after you've been hogging public resources. Sad to see this kind of corruption in America.
Old 07-14-18, 11:32 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes, there are a segment of library patrons who aren't really there to patronize the library and check out materials. In addition to the AC and periodicals, don't forget about the free computer access and WiFi (I usually see a half dozen people hanging around the entrance where they can access the WiFi on their phones).

Some people also rely on the library come winter and early spring to get their tax forms. Then you have outreach services like a Bookmobile or direct home delivery for shut-ins that brings materials to people who otherwise cannot get to the library. Full disclosure: my mother just retired from the local library as the outreach services coordinator. I'd like to think her dept. does a lot of good work for people around the community.

Libraries do offer some great materials and services, but there will always be people who abuse them. I believe that's known as the tragedy of the commons.

A common problem is people who come in to look at old HS yearbooks and either cut out pictures or tear out pages from them. In order to look at yearbooks, the local library will hold a person's ID, will only let a person access 3 yearbooks at a time, and the books must remain in the room where they are shelved.

I've spent hundreds of hours in libraries the past 2-3 years combing newspaper microfilm. My local library subscribes to an online newspaper archive of which the local paper is included, but the local paper's online collection doesn't go beyond 1976. The librarian on duty said a new microfilm roll costs about $250 these days. There's usually 1/2 month on each roll for the local paper. The microfilm room at one of my local libraries is very dark and damp. It's great because few people go in there unless they actually have work to do (being on the top floor helps), but it also feels like I'm working in a coal mine every time I'm there.

Many people are turning to libraries for help in researching their genealogy. Most of the people I see accessing microfilm are using it to look up obituaries or articles that mention an ancestor in hopes of finding more info about either that ancestor or one of the ancestor's relatives.

One good example of a library helping me out big time was when I was on a long-term substitute teaching gig, and the regular teacher wanted me to show a documentary which she didn't have. It was either ask the school to spend the money for the video (which was grossly overpriced) and wait for them to approve the expenditure and wait for the video to arrive, or find it at the library. I was able to find it via inter-library loan (came from Toledo, IIRC) and saved the school some money.

I've also been able to contact libraries farther away who have their local newspapers on microfilm but not online and have been able to have the librarians look stuff up for me on the microfilm and save me an hour or more of driving.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 07-14-18 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-14-18, 12:56 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Yes, there are a segment of library patrons who aren't really there to patronize the library and check out materials. In addition to the AC and periodicals, don't forget about the free computer access and WiFi (I usually see a half dozen people hanging around the entrance where they can access the WiFi on their phones).

Some people also rely on the library come winter and early spring to get their tax forms. Then you have outreach services like a Bookmobile or direct home delivery for shut-ins that brings materials to people who otherwise cannot get to the library. Full disclosure: my mother just retired from the local library as the outreach services coordinator. I'd like to think her dept. does a lot of good work for people around the community.

Libraries do offer some great materials and services, but there will always be people who abuse them. I believe that's known as the tragedy of the commons.

A common problem is people who come in to look at old HS yearbooks and either cut out pictures or tear out pages from them. In order to look at yearbooks, the local library will hold a person's ID, will only let a person access 3 yearbooks at a time, and the books must remain in the room where they are shelved.

I've spent hundreds of hours in libraries the past 2-3 years combing newspaper microfilm. My local library subscribes to an online newspaper archive of which the local paper is included, but the local paper's online collection doesn't go beyond 1976. The librarian on duty said a new microfilm roll costs about $250 these days. There's usually 1/2 month on each roll for the local paper. The microfilm room at one of my local libraries is very dark and damp. It's great because few people go in there unless they actually have work to do (being on the top floor helps), but it also feels like I'm working in a coal mine every time I'm there.

Many people are turning to libraries for help in researching their genealogy. Most of the people I see accessing microfilm are using it to look up obituaries or articles that mention an ancestor in hopes of finding more info about either that ancestor or one of the ancestor's relatives.

One good example of a library helping me out big time was when I was on a long-term substitute teaching gig, and the regular teacher wanted me to show a documentary which she didn't have. It was either ask the school to spend the money for the video (which was grossly overpriced) and wait for them to approve the expenditure and wait for the video to arrive, or find it at the library. I was able to find it via inter-library loan (came from Toledo, IIRC) and saved the school some money.

I've also been able to contact libraries farther away who have their local newspapers on microfilm but not online and have been able to have the librarians look stuff up for me on the microfilm and save me an hour or more of driving.
I joke about the homeless at the library (of which there are at least a few at most public libraries), but, with that said, my mom currently works as a volunteer at our local library and is a member of the ‘Friends of the Library.’ Plus, a few years back, one of my sisters also worked as the Outreach Services Coordinator, and then, at the main circulation desk, before moving on to a different government job.

Our local library has all of the services you mentioned, plus rental of Kindles and eBooks, access to ‘Hoopla’ for digital rental of movies, rental of video game systems and video games, a ‘Book Seller’ (where they sell donated books, DVDs, CDs, etc., typically for about 25˘ to $1, out of the library’s 'cellar'), a notary, authors who do speaking engagements and book-signings, access to 3D printers, rental of VHS-to-Digital converters, a number of classes (such as computer classes), a plethora of special programs (one example: our local athletes read to and interact with our younger citizens), and the list goes on and on!

Actually, it’s pretty amazing all of the services that public libraries have to offer.
Old 07-14-18, 02:48 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Neighborhood churches on the decline. Ethnic meeting halls closing. The local libraries are the closest to community meeting centers we still have. They bring in good speakers and events straight into the neighborhoods, often specific to that neighborhood that otherwise wouldn't be accessible and allow particularly the little kids and older folks to experience things.

One of the few public services still being a bargain.
Old 07-14-18, 03:24 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
I have a Down Syndrome daughter who is 23. My wife takes her to the library every Monday so she can check out new books and videos. It is one of the highlights of her week, and she learns so much about her world that otherwise she would never be able to appreciate.
Thank God for public libraries.
Old 07-14-18, 03:42 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
similar to the prices at athens bars, it's actually mind-blowing how cheap it is

now that obama built the bypress around nelsonville, you don't get stuck in traffic from people trying to visit rocky boots... you can make it from cbus in well under an hour as long as you dont get caught speeding by the police.
Pretty sure the bypass has been in the planning before you were born.
Old 07-14-18, 03:55 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Pretty sure that we need to toss OBCDEFG out of America unless he promises to abstain from using all government provided benefits. I'm sick of his petty moaning.
Old 07-14-18, 07:16 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
I have a Down Syndrome daughter who is 23. My wife takes her to the library every Monday so she can check out new books and videos. It is one of the highlights of her week, and she learns so much about her world that otherwise she would never be able to appreciate.
Thank God for public libraries.
As critical as I am, that is quite simply the best statement I have ever seen in support of the public library system. That alone would get me to vote for a levy.
Old 07-14-18, 07:24 PM
All American

Quote:
So not only do you vote for the government to steal money from others to fund your library usage, but you put yourself above the law and don't pay library fines after you've been hogging public resources.
Pretty much.

Did I mention I love libraries?
Old 07-14-18, 08:22 PM
All Region

scbuckeye99 is on a distinguished road
Buddy of mine recently made a good point about the closing of toys r us that COULD apply to libraries. Yes you can buy toys online and this will not stop any time soon(who are we kidding it will never stop). BUT the online shopping experience will never replace how much joy and excitement fills a little kids face when they walk into a toy store. Regardless of how much future generations become soaked in the online "experience" brick and mortar toy stores will always serve this purpose.

Libraries COULD also continue to serve this purpose. Growing up when I did going to the library to check out a book to take home and read with dad was a pretty cool experience (i spent an entire summer checking out a different book a week on WWII. the local library had this series of WWII books written for younger readers and being the 6 year old history nerd I already was well I made dad read me the entire war haha). I can't imagine sitting on dads lap while clicking through amazon will replace that experience. Nor simply reading it on the laptop. Professional librarians and especially archivists are actually considered still continuing future careers as even as more and more info goes online there will always be a need for people who are professionals at cataloging and categorizing this information.
Old 07-15-18, 02:48 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So not only do you vote for the government to steal money from others to fund your library usage, but you put yourself above the law and don't pay library fines after you've been hogging public resources. Sad to see this kind of corruption in America.

Quote:
Pretty much.

Did I mention I love libraries?
Actually; the Columbus Metro Library did away with the over due fine a couple of years ago.

:>---

EGA
Old 07-15-18, 06:35 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
Actually; the Columbus Metro Library did away with the over due fine a couple of years ago.

:>---

EGA
ohiopup, you're not helping my street cred!
Old 07-15-18, 08:46 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Cool

That one is a real troublemaker!
Old 07-16-18, 11:27 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
There is a trend nationwide that there are no longer "check out" policies for libraries. Why you may ask? Well, a few thoughts...

- the number of people who use public libraries is very minimal anymore, this thing called the internet has taken over.
- there is a alot of cost of labor for someone to check out books, keep track of them and then, if someone doesn't return it, the cost of getting it back. And honestly, once it's been a month, what is the real chances of getting it back? It will cost the library at least a couple of bucks and labor time chasing this person down

-remember, these are mostly "public" libraries. This means they are paid for ans supported by the taxpayers, you and I.

-imagine the stigma if you have a town that is against education that they close their library? No one is going to do that.

-fed funding...you know...there is a budget of money allottted to public libraries (grants) that keep libraries afloat.

So in some ways, this has become a form of public assistance and welfare for the poor. Those who have no internet, books or magazines at home. They go hang out at the library for a few hours a day to pass the time. My guess is this lady took all these library materials under a fake name and phone number/ email address and is probably selling them at a garage sale.
I laughed at the article when it said they phone was disconnected....
Old 07-16-18, 12:06 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
eBooks just aren't the same as actual picture books for when you're teaching your kids to read.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: