Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-22-18, 04:17 PM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Extract- 5.75/8. Pretty underrated comedy from Mike Judge.
Old 06-22-18, 05:21 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Just saw the latest Jurassic movie. My recommendation is to skip it.
Old 06-24-18, 10:11 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Heredity - Smart and very well executed horror film.

6/8
Old 06-25-18, 02:06 PM
All World

Deadline USA (1952) - Solid noir crime film featuring a dying newspaper. Harkened back to a time when the news media was not in the pocket of political parties and lied in order to support a specific agenda.

6/8
Old 06-25-18, 07:54 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Deadline USA (1952) - Solid noir crime film featuring a dying newspaper. Harkened back to a time when the news media was not in the pocket of political parties and lied in order to support a specific agenda.

That time is probably more fantasy than the film.
Old 06-25-18, 09:22 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatBomber View Post
Suspiria (1977) - I don't understand the 93% RT rating on this one. The score alone in this film gave me some serious anxiety, and I don't mean anticipation or fear. I mean, the music was so awful, like listening to nails on a chalkboard for an hour and a half. Just don't get the hype.

Oh no you didn't!!!!!
Old 06-25-18, 09:29 PM
All Yappi

Tremors 6: A Cold Day in Hell (2018)

Horror: What happened to the snow/ice from the opening scene..... oh yeah, it all melted in minutes because of global warming.... NOT, they filmed the darn thing in South Africa. I was excited about Graboid's in snow but no, that is not we got. Nothing new here as this one fell flat. Still though, anything with giant worm creatures in it is worth the watch.... 3.0/8

Death Note (2017)

Horror: I had already seen the Anime so this one definitely felt rushed as they tried to fit the whole story in in under 2 hours. Anyhow, a high school student finds a book in which any name you put in it the person will soon die. There are rules, lots of rules..... well, this was an adaptation for the American audience so some things were changed. Light was not as much as a genius or godlike in this movie compared to the manga while L was not as autistic. The girl would of never done what she did in the movie in the manga. It is what it is but still what we got was pretty good.... 5.5/8
Old 06-26-18, 10:06 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)- predictable most recent installment in the Jurassic series. They need to put this dinosaur down. I wouldn't have gone were it not a family activity. Chris Pratt seems like a good guy that would be fun to have a beer with, but the same guy you'd have that beer with would be identical to every role he's ever played. Other than some of the special effects, there's nothing memorable about this movie. 3/8.
Old 06-26-18, 01:40 PM
All Yappi

BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
Oh no you didn't!!!!!
Yeah, sorry. Not for me.
Old 06-27-18, 06:31 PM
All Yappi

Cargo (Australia-2017)

Horror/Drama: A family must find a way to survive after a breakout has wiped out most civilization. Sort of but not really a Zombie flick. Could not get into it.... 3.0/8
Old 06-27-18, 06:42 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
" Why Johnny Ringo....you look like somebody just walked over your grave . "

7.0 - 8.0 Probably the 10th time watching it.
Old 06-28-18, 11:46 AM
All World

Wait For Your Laugh (2017) - I know this will be lost on some of the younger posters but somewhere in my attic is a shoe box full of my childhood. Next to my Duncan yo-yo, a bag of marbles and my slingshot is a ticket to a Broadway show with an autograph of Morey Amsterdam on it. I loved the Dick Van Dyke show as a kid just as I do today. My first love (regrettably unrequited) was of Laura Petrie (Mary Tyler Moore) and I thought Rob Petrie (Dick Van Dyke) was the luckiest man in the world to be married to her. I also got a kick out Buddy Sorrell (Morey Amsterdam) who could crack a joke about anything at a moment's notice. Then there was Sally Rogers (Rose Marie) who was a funny, brassy broad, who could take shots from the guys and give right back with the best of them.

That was all I knew about Rose Marie until I watched this documentary of her life in show biz. Someone described her career as being a history of 20st century entertainment. It was nearly that. Except for silent film, she became a star in every facet of the entertainment industry in the 2oth century. A child star at four, she was the toast of the vaudeville circuit in the 1920's, she was a radio star in the 1930's and 1940's, opened the Flamingo in Vegas in the late 40's and was a star of TV and Broadway in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's until her death last year. On the way she became friends with gangsters (including Al Capone and Bugsy Siegel) as well as every comic and second banana in the business. With all of that, she was a working stiff that liked nothing better than her craft, except for her husband, trumpeter Buddy Guy and her daughter. Buddy, the love of her life, died young and Rose Marie never remarried and always wore a black hair ribbon in his honor.

This documentary did a great job of capturing the essence of Rose Marie. The interview of her and her friends and co-workers were well done and the many home movies illustrate much of her life. The only complaint is some of the background music was poorly chosen (Nutcracker Suite?).

Anyway, for those who like Hollywood documentary's, this is a good one.

6/8
Old 07-02-18, 06:35 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Run Silent, Run Deep 1958 - This is at least the second time I have seen this WWII flick about a submarine crew. Clark Gable, Burt Lancaster, Don Rickles (yes, that DR) and Jack Warden. I thought the acting left a little to be desired, but the movie did a good job of depicting the multiple perils of being on a sub during wartime. Those torpedoes, depth charges and Jap Zeros (?) get your attention!

5/8 though in an earlier viewing I might have given it a 6.
Old 07-02-18, 07:00 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
The Death of Stalin

7/8

Brilliant, deeply dark comedy about the events that unfolded immediately after the death of Joseph Stalin. Great performances by a host of diverse actors. The decision by the director to allow the actors to portray their characters using non-Russian accents was inspired. Whether it's Steve Buscemi's nasally Nikita Krushchev or Jason Isaacs bombastic cockney Marshal Zhukov, it works.

If you're a history buff you should check this movie out. It's a masterful tale of life under a totalitarian dictatorship. It's also nice to see "Hollywood" actually make a movie critical of the most evil ideology of the 20th century - no, not the Nazis but the communists.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: