Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-13-19, 09:53 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Regional Final: Oregon Cardinal Stritch (23-3) vs Coldwater (18-9)

Saturday 7 PM. Don't know much about Cardinal Stritch except for they are the Cardinals and play in the TAAC. This Coldwater team is on a roll. Let's see how far we can take it.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-19, 12:16 AM
All Ohio

Michael Hirn is on a distinguished road
9 game win streak for Coldwater:

http://www.michaelhirn.com/cavs-race...gional-finals/
Old 03-14-19, 04:30 AM
All Yappi

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Looked up Coldwater scores on Maxpreps. What happened midway through the season? Were some kids hurt and did they get healthy? After beating Archbold, OG, and Willard in succession it is clear that the Cavs are no fluke. Eight seniors right? Looking forward to Saturday's matchup.
Old 03-14-19, 04:38 AM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Looked up Coldwater scores on Maxpreps. What happened midway through the season? Were some kids hurt and did they get healthy? After beating Archbold, OG, and Willard in succession it is clear that the Cavs are no fluke. Eight seniors right? Looking forward to Saturday's matchup.
CW plays a very good schedule as do most MAC teams. Marion Local, Saint Henry, Coldwater play many of the top WBL teams. As I stated in an earlier post CW has two very good players in Frilling and Bruns both of whom could start for any D -3 team in the state.
Old 03-14-19, 07:33 AM
All World

Expect this to be a low scoring game maybe 48 to 44 either way.
Old 03-14-19, 07:46 AM
All District

single wing is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Expect this to be a low scoring game maybe 48 to 44 either way.
Why low scoring? Both teams capable of scoring the ball from what I've seen and looked up.

Both coming off some high scoring games too. Cardinal Stritch went delay ball too in 4th quarter. The Stritch/Genoa game was a little low scoring but I believe that was due to Genoa's zone defense.

Coldwater coming off two games that they were in the 70's (yes, Archbold game was quite low.)

I'm thinking 62-55 Stritch. Should be a good one!
Old 03-14-19, 08:17 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by single wing View Post
Why low scoring? Both teams capable of scoring the ball from what I've seen and looked up.

Both coming off some high scoring games too. Cardinal Stritch went delay ball too in 4th quarter. The Stritch/Genoa game was a little low scoring but I believe that was due to Genoa's zone defense.

Coldwater coming off two games that they were in the 70's (yes, Archbold game was quite low.)

I'm thinking 62-55 Stritch. Should be a good one!
Both teams have athletes and I know CW is physical and if CS is physical it will be like a MAC game physical and low scoring. Look at CW MAC games low scoring affairs.
Old 03-14-19, 08:25 AM
All Region

radiodaveagain is an unknown quantity at this point
'Magical Mystery Tour' Continues For Coldwater, Cardinal Stritch Up Next
https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2...tritch-up-next

Should be a fun game to watch...
Old 03-14-19, 08:30 AM
All District

single wing is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Both teams have athletes and I know CW is physical and if CS is physical it will be like a MAC game physical and low scoring. Look at CW MAC games low scoring affairs.
My prediction still stands.

And...I just looked up CW's scoring average during MAC contests this year. 55.5ppg.
Old 03-14-19, 09:49 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
After knocking off perennial powers Archbold, OG and Willard in back to back to back games, I'm thinking Coldwater has got to be going in to this one with all the confidence in the world. Hopefully they don't get too far ahead of themselves thinking that the tough ones are over. Won't be surprised at all to see the Cavs heading to Columbus.....I think in a close one 57-54
Old 03-14-19, 10:33 AM
All Region

cknights is on a distinguished road
Pulling for Coldwater here. I personally think if Coldwater wants to win then they do it in high scoring fashion. They are a perimeter shooting team and when their three is falling, they are very hard to beat. The Willard win was expected by many. The Archbold win was a shocker and the OG win was.....in OG fashion. But, I won't take anything away from the Cavs because it was at the hands of a very hot Coldwater team who was down by as many as 8 or 9 deep in the third quarter of that game.

Anyone who paid attention to the MAC towards the end of the season seen Coldwater knock Marion Local out of conference title contention and seen them get hot at the right time. Six losses of 2 or less points this season. This team is for real. Stritch is in for a battle. And I think if Frilling and company remain hot, there is a good chance the Coldwater faithful will be sitting in Columbus Thursday afternoon.
Old 03-16-19, 02:06 PM
All American

Well guys, today is the day. Go Cavs!
Old 03-16-19, 06:10 PM
All American

8-5 Stritch 2:35 1st
Old 03-16-19, 06:14 PM
All American

Cardinal Stritch 13
Coldwater 6

End of 1
Old 03-16-19, 06:27 PM
All Ohio

bdill100 is on a distinguished road
At the half
Cardinal-Stritch 32
Coldwater 20
Old 03-16-19, 07:26 PM
All World

Maple_City_Fan is on a distinguished road
Congratulations to Stritch! C-Bus bound!
Old 03-16-19, 07:52 PM
All Yappi

Defense won the day for Stritch. Frilling and Bruns could not get going until too late. In the first half Coldwater struggled to get quality shots off period.

Nice win for Stritch. Final-4! Toledo area boys have not won a state title since 1990. Bring it home.
Old 03-16-19, 09:09 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Game hopefully gets Anderson some notice.

1990? Has Toledo "area" ever won a state title in boys basketball? I think you have to go more than 30 miles to find a state champ, nothing else is coming to mind. Though I'm not sure if Stritch qualifies as Toledo area, Oregon, Toledo, a couple counties...
Old 03-16-19, 09:21 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Game hopefully gets Anderson some notice.

1990? Has Toledo "area" ever won a state title in boys basketball? I think you have to go more than 30 miles to find a state champ, nothing else is coming to mind. Though I'm not sure if Stritch qualifies as Toledo area, Oregon, Toledo, a couple counties...
https://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/B...entResults.pdf

Yes, Toledo has a number of state champions in hoops.
Old 03-16-19, 09:38 PM
All World

Maple_City_Fan is on a distinguished road
EIB is talking "area"; not schools within Toledo. 1981 Napoleon might be the closest.
Old 03-16-19, 10:01 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
If we can stretch to 60 mi, we get Ottawa-Glandorf but that's a reach. Wauseon had a couple runners-up.

doh: Defiance!
Old 03-17-19, 10:20 AM
All Yappi

From 1983 to 1990 Toledo won 3 DI state titles (SF 83', Macomber 89', Scott 90'). Since then Toledo teams have been bridesmaids six times (SJ 93', SJ 96', SJ 04', Libbey 08', Whitmer 12', Rogers 13').

Toledo "area" would be Toledo and it's immediate suburbs. Napoleon? Eh. Not really.

Anyway. I have been very impressed with Stritch's defense and their ability to attack the basket the past couple games. Had they attacked the basket like they have done the last two games against Genoa that game would not have been close. Several times this season Stritch has fallen into this half-court 3 ball trap so to speak. The Cardinals are clearly a better team when Holifield, Anderson, and Burton are attacking and taking 3's as they come. Their team D has been lights out. Unsure how many times last night myself or someone sitting near me made comments about great defense.

On to Lutheran East (21-8).

Lutheran East won it all two years ago and were defeated in the state semi-finals last year so they definitely have the "been there" advantage. The Falcons do not start a single senior and are led by junior Nehmiah Benson (6'6") and sophomore EJ Farmer (6'4") but they do not have to rely on just those two to win ball games. East has played a rigorous Cleveland area schedule squaring off against Cleveland area big boys Lorain, Ignatius, St. Eds, Cleveland Heights, and Akron's SVSM (all losses). Even though Stritch has not played the same schedule as East they have been in some big games and have some tough tourney experience playing in TN and their path to the semi's has been a tad tougher in my opinion. If Stritch continues to defend like they have they will compete with anyone. With the rotation of Finch and Crayer you have two good defenders to throw at Benson. Unless you have Anderson guard Benson and Holifield on Farmer or vice versa. East likes to occasionally press which has given the Cardinals some trouble as of late. Lutheran definitely wants to get out and run. Should be a fun game to watch.

Lutheran East

0 - TJ Blevins 5'8" Jr.
11 - Sir Hughes 5'10" Soph.
3 - EJ Farmer 6'4" Soph.
10 - Dayvon Adams 6'5" Jr.
35 - Nehmiah Benson 6'6" Jr.

12 - Trevon Toney 6'2" Sr.
23 - Marquis Lewis 6'4" Fr.

Here is an early season match-up against Lorain followed by highlights of the Cleveland Heights game followed by a mini-documentary with highlights of their game with Lamelo Ball's Spire Academy. Their last game against Mogadore was on Youtube but had been taken down. Hopefully it reappears.

Old 03-17-19, 10:47 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Toledo "area" would be Toledo and it's immediate suburbs. Napoleon? Eh. Not really.

Not how I was defining it, for conversation purposes. The smart guy above was able to figure it out. So, no Toledo area champions. Stritch as I understand it has some Toledo kids, some Oregon kids, some... so, "area."
Old 03-17-19, 11:03 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Not how I was defining it, for conversation purposes. The smart guy above was able to figure it out. So, no Toledo area champions. Stritch as I understand it has some Toledo kids, some Oregon kids, some... so, "area."
Congrats, we figured out Toledo "area" means different things to different people. It is probably unfortunate that I am not smart enough to figure out your way of defining it.

All the talk above and you get caught up with what "area" means. Only you. Bless your little heart.
Old 03-17-19, 11:26 AM
All Ohio

Tesoro is on a distinguished road
Good recruiting year for Stritch...
Old 03-17-19, 12:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Congrats, we figured out Toledo "area" means different things to different people. It is probably unfortunate that I am not smart enough to figure out your way of defining it.

All the talk above and you get caught up with what "area" means. Only you. Bless your little heart.

azzhat, we knew which championships TCL had. We were talking about Stritch, wondering if anyone recalled Toledo AREA schools that might have won state. You know, just like in the news section: one for Toledo and another for Toledo AREA. No one but you was caught up in what "area" means, we already knew. smh If you're going to come into a conversation, at least spend a moment to see what it's about and maybe it wasn't worth getting all butt-hurt when someone tries to help you to the same page.
Old 03-17-19, 01:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
azzhat, we knew which championships TCL had. We were talking about Stritch, wondering if anyone recalled Toledo AREA schools that might have won state. You know, just like in the news section: one for Toledo and another for Toledo AREA. No one but you was caught up in what "area" means, we already knew. smh If you're going to come into a conversation, at least spend a moment to see what it's about and maybe it wasn't worth getting all butt-hurt when someone tries to help you to the same page.
And I knew what you meant. And I'm just mildly smart.

Butt hurt? Not me. At least not yet anyhow. Rossford had some nice years and came close back in the 70's. Genoa and Oak Harbor both had some flare ups in the 70's. Wauseon. Napoleon. Port Clinton came up short several years back. Leipsic's best team ever got demolished by VASJ slightly more recently. I would consider Rossford the only "area". Probably just me.

Stritch has several Oregon kids, a couple 05ers, a Rossford kid, and a Bancroft kid in the rotation. Not bad.
Old 03-17-19, 01:36 PM
Varsity

Fayette 79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

LOL...seems like every year we have this discussion on AREA. Pretty simple if you live in the city then you are talking just the city. If you live in the suburbs then you consider Sylvania, Maumee, Perrysburg, Northwood, and Oregon. I live in Fayette which is 35 miles straight west of Toledo and right down Central Avenue with no turns, and we consider ourselves to be from the Toledo area.

Simple rule when talking to people who actually live in Toledo...anything west of the airport is a whole different world...lol
Old 03-17-19, 01:53 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Since a few Coldwater folks may check out this thread, I wanted to let them know a book about legendary baseball coach lou Brunswick will be released soon and you can order it here:
https://www.rounding-third.com/?fbcl...6qI-TAUzV4bXjw

Also on 13 April he will be signing copies at McSobers Saloon on the East Coast of Coldwater, home of award winning wings.
Old 03-17-19, 02:30 PM
Varsity

D1nwobb is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayette 79 View Post
LOL...seems like every year we have this discussion on AREA. Pretty simple if you live in the city then you are talking just the city. If you live in the suburbs then you consider Sylvania, Maumee, Perrysburg, Northwood, and Oregon. I live in Fayette which is 35 miles straight west of Toledo and right down Central Avenue with no turns, and we consider ourselves to be from the Toledo area.

Simple rule when talking to people who actually live in Toledo...anything west of the airport is a whole different world...lol
For a lot of people living in Toledo, east of the Maumee River is a different world.