Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-10-19, 02:51 PM
All Yappi

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
D1 Cleveland Region

Regional Semi-Finals

Wednesday 03/13/19
Green 77 vs Mentor 60 6:15
Euclid 71 vs Lakewood St Edward 77 OT 8:00

Regional Final

Saturday 03/16/19
Green vs Lakewood St. Edward 2:00

All games at CSU Wolstein Center

Last edited by afwpatfire; 03-13-19 at 09:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-19, 05:46 PM
Controller

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Favorite, Mentor or Euclid?
Old 03-10-19, 06:43 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Favorite, Mentor or Euclid?
Anything less than a regional title would be a great disappointment to the Green and Gold on Detroit. They have more future D1 college players than the other three teams combined. And unlike Brush, the Eagles boast an veteran coach as good as any in Ohio. St Eds is the only opponent Mentor has ever played where I felt the coaching was even.

Eds should beat Euclid by a bunch. Green is good, but Mentor is the clear favorite. I expect to see an all birdies regional final. But anything can happen.
Old 03-10-19, 06:49 PM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Anything less than a regional title would be a great disappointment to the Green and Gold on Detroit. They have more future D1 college players than the other three teams combined. And unlike Brush, the Eagles boast an veteran coach as good as any in Ohio. St Eds is the only opponent Mentor has ever played where I felt the coaching was even.

Eds should beat Euclid by a bunch. Green is good, but Mentor is the clear favorite. I expect to see an all birdies regional final. But anything can happen.
I think Green can pull this out. Very good guard play can control a game. Wouldnít be surprised to see a St Edís vs Green regional final.
Old 03-10-19, 07:29 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Green might have good guard play but I doubt it's better then Mentor's. I expect a Mentor vs Ed's final as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 03-10-19, 08:09 PM
All District

Unlimited Potential is on a distinguished road
Yep. Ed's and Mentor the odds on favorite to be playing for a ticket to Colubus next Saturday afternoon.

SVSM and Lima Senior will be battling for another spot.

I'm going Ed's
SVSM
Moeller
and Pickerington something for Final 4.
Old 03-10-19, 08:28 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
I think Green can pull this out. Very good guard play can control a game. Wouldnít be surprised to see a St Edís vs Green regional final.
Sounds like Greenís top guard is really good. A 1,500-point scorer is obviously the real deal. Iím sure he will be a handful. But Mentorís backcourt is really good too. Looking forward to seeing how they go against each other.

The only mutual opponents these two have faced were Jackson and Solon. Mentor went 4-0 in those games. Green went 2-2. Is that the reason to believe Mentor is going to win? No. I am confident in their ability to advance due to the guys on the floor and especially the coach on the bench. Green, and their coach, is in unfamiliar territory. But to be fair, the Mentor players are too. Hardly anybody on the team now got much playing time two years ago when Mentor was last at regionals. Hoping Mentorís coaching advantage will be the difference.
Old 03-10-19, 10:06 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Im pulling for green to bring a regional title back to the portage lakes.
Old 03-11-19, 06:29 AM
All Region

satriani is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sounds like Greenís top guard is really good. A 1,500-point scorer is obviously the real deal. Iím sure he will be a handful. But Mentorís backcourt is really good too. Looking forward to seeing how they go against each other.

The only mutual opponents these two have faced were Jackson and Solon. Mentor went 4-0 in those games. Green went 2-2. Is that the reason to believe Mentor is going to win? No. I am confident in their ability to advance due to the guys on the floor and especially the coach on the bench. Green, and their coach, is in unfamiliar territory. But to be fair, the Mentor players are too. Hardly anybody on the team now got much playing time two years ago when Mentor was last at regionals. Hoping Mentorís coaching advantage will be the difference.
Green is scrappy and competitive but I just donít see them hanging with Mentor. Mentorís guards will be able to handle the pressure that helped Green win districts by turning Jackson over. Greenís bigs, who arenít that big, will have trouble with Mentorís bigs. Anything can happen in the tournament but Green beating Mentor would be a big upset in my opinion.
Old 03-11-19, 07:14 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by satriani View Post
Green is scrappy and competitive but I just donít see them hanging with Mentor. Mentorís guards will be able to handle the pressure that helped Green win districts by turning Jackson over. Greenís bigs, who arenít that big, will have trouble with Mentorís bigs. Anything can happen in the tournament but Green beating Mentor would be a big upset in my opinion.
I saw that Green gave Jackson a lot of trouble with their pressure defense. If that is a part of Green's hope in controlling this game, I think they will have a hard time making that happen. Mentor's guards have done a really good job this season in limiting turnovers. The sophomore (Chicone) has been given the dubious honor by Mentor's coach as being the best ball handler he has ever coached. That is high praise. He has great handles and is very smart with the ball. The leading scorer (Floriea) is a little more turnover prone, but in general has done a solid job in that area. Both are great distributors...Floriea at 7 assists a game and Chicone at 6.

It's not too often that Mentor has a distinct size advantage. The guards are small, but more than half of their rotation players are 6'4 or 6'5. Sometimes a smaller team can take advantage of the bigger team with speed. Mentor's "bigs" are pretty athletic though. Most of them can keep up with smaller guards/forwards if needed.

Is Green much of a three-point shooting team? That can always be an equalizer in games like this. I will say that teams, including Mentor, really struggle to shoot at these college gyms. The line of sight is so different without a wall behind the hoop, especially at CSU where they drop the curtain at one end. It is just a really different place to shoot that most of the kids are not used to.
Old 03-11-19, 08:03 AM
All Ohio

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Is Green much of a three-point shooting team? That can always be an equalizer in games like this. I will say that teams, including Mentor, really struggle to shoot at these college gyms. The line of sight is so different without a wall behind the hoop, especially at CSU where they drop the curtain at one end. It is just a really different place to shoot that most of the kids are not used to.
This whole paragraph, especially the end, is a very underrated post. We've seen excellent 3 point shooting teams fall flat on their faces at CSU over the years. Bigger arena and different sightlines play a huge role in shooting as compared to the smaller gyms that kids are used to playing in. Most of the times, these regional games in these larger arenas come down to the scrappier team getting the ball inside, rebounding, and the occasional big shot.
Old 03-11-19, 08:18 AM
All District

Teams have had trouble shooting into the curtain at CSU for quite a few years now. It definitely plays a factor for shooters.
Old 03-11-19, 08:29 AM
All Region

satriani is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I saw that Green gave Jackson a lot of trouble with their pressure defense. If that is a part of Green's hope in controlling this game, I think they will have a hard time making that happen. Mentor's guards have done a really good job this season in limiting turnovers. The sophomore (Chicone) has been given the dubious honor by Mentor's coach as being the best ball handler he has ever coached. That is high praise. He has great handles and is very smart with the ball. The leading scorer (Floriea) is a little more turnover prone, but in general has done a solid job in that area. Both are great distributors...Floriea at 7 assists a game and Chicone at 6.

It's not too often that Mentor has a distinct size advantage. The guards are small, but more than half of their rotation players are 6'4 or 6'5. Sometimes a smaller team can take advantage of the bigger team with speed. Mentor's "bigs" are pretty athletic though. Most of them can keep up with smaller guards/forwards if needed.

Green seems to be streaky at the arc. Their leading 3pt shooter, Simmer, has a bit of a wind-up to his shot so he needs a clear shooting window. If Mentor closes out quickly on him, I think he'll have some trouble. Martin is a 35% 3pt shooter but he can shoot on the move and get hot. #24 is the wild card. He's struggled shooting this year but he has length and if he gets hot, he can score in bunches from outside.

Still, I think with the pace Mentor plays, how they move without the ball and their strength of schedule, will all be big advantages for them.

https://www.indeonline.com/sports/20190307/stark-area-hs-boys-and-girls-basketball-leaders
Old 03-11-19, 01:30 PM
U.S. American

sehs95 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Who do you see as a DI player for St. Edward? I see Blanton as a low DI, and that's it for now.
Old 03-11-19, 02:47 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs95 View Post
Who do you see as a DI player for St. Edward? I see Blanton as a low DI, and that's it for now.
Blaton holds offers from CSU, Toledo, Dayton and Duquesne

Grant Huffman holds offers from:

Xavier, Duquesne and Miami of Ohio

Foster was considered a D1 at one time, not aware of any offers.

Foster and Terry likely have a good shot for a D2 schlorship if everything else is in line.
Old 03-11-19, 05:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs95 View Post
What he said up above. Is Huffman that forgettable? He looked pretty strong when I saw him last as a freshman two years ago. Meechie Terry is prob a DII possibility, right?
Old 03-11-19, 06:14 PM
Junior Varsity

Gbulldog is on a distinguished road
I've attended all the Green games the last two years. Martin is the real deal. They have a scrappy supporting cast that can get hot. Their defense is what has carried them the last half of the year. Haven't seen Mentor. but I'm from the Cleveland area and I'm familiar with their program. Green can make it very interesting but would have to play a very solid game on both sides.
Old 03-11-19, 07:16 PM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
This whole paragraph, especially the end, is a very underrated post. We've seen excellent 3 point shooting teams fall flat on their faces at CSU over the years. Bigger arena and different sightlines play a huge role in shooting as compared to the smaller gyms that kids are used to playing in. Most of the times, these regional games in these larger arenas come down to the scrappier team getting the ball inside, rebounding, and the occasional big shot.
Depth perception.Optical illusion that takes adjusting to shooting in a large arena compared to a gym with a wall.NCAA National Championship takes it from large arenas to dome football stadium on a raised floor
Old 03-11-19, 07:52 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Damn—Green is young. Sounds like they are having a great season
Old 03-12-19, 01:44 PM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Based upon their regular season and tournament run to date, I'd say Mentor should be considered the Cleveland region favorite. Maybe not a big one, but a favorite nonetheless. While the Eagles may have an objective talent advantage, it's not as big as in years past. There's not a Delvon Roe, Kipper Nichols, or even Myles Hamilton type on this team, guys who can really take over a ball game.
Old 03-12-19, 03:37 PM
All Ohio

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I saw that Green gave Jackson a lot of trouble with their pressure defense. If that is a part of Green's hope in controlling this game, I think they will have a hard time making that happen. Mentor's guards have done a really good job this season in limiting turnovers.
Its not Greens hope at controlling the game its just that they play good defense. It may not control the game but their defense is much better than their streaky offense. As for coaching, Green's coach has played there and has now coached for 22 years, his assistants have been with him for 10+ years and 16+ years. He may make some mistakes but he will have them ready but does he have the horses to get ready that a huge school like Mentor has to get ready is the question and I doubt it. I say its always hard to judge just how good some schools coach is from the schools that have much more talent yearly?
Old 03-12-19, 04:27 PM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Martin gets a little help and they can get to C-town...BAM!
Old 03-12-19, 06:48 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePride01 View Post
Based upon their regular season and tournament run to date, I'd say Mentor should be considered the Cleveland region favorite. Maybe not a big one, but a favorite nonetheless. While the Eagles may have an objective talent advantage, it's not as big as in years past. There's not a Delvon Roe, Kipper Nichols, or even Myles Hamilton type on this team, guys who can really take over a ball game.
If Mentor and St Edward switched schedules, how might it have played out? Would Mentor have won any more games than the Eagles? Could Eds have matched Mentorís 20 wins?

The Eagles might not have that one dynamite player, but they have two future D1 players. Huffman looked pretty solid as a freshman. Two years later I am surprised he hasnít already turned into that dominant scorer.
Old 03-13-19, 06:47 AM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If Mentor and St Edward switched schedules, how might it have played out? Would Mentor have won any more games than the Eagles? Could Eds have matched Mentorís 20 wins?

The Eagles might not have that one dynamite player, but they have two future D1 players. Huffman looked pretty solid as a freshman. Two years later I am surprised he hasnít already turned into that dominant scorer.
Ed's schedule was certainly more difficult, but the Cards were able to beat two teams the Eagles could not in Brush and Solon. I think each team could have produced similar results with each others schedules. A potential match-up is probably a coin flip, but I do think Mentor is a slight favorite as the better shooting team hands down. As you mentioned, the CSU court could be the equalizer.

As for Huffman and the rest of the "big three" freshman from two years ago, for whatever reason, the progress has not been what was expected. But not to be unfair to them, the expectations were probably too big from the start. Huffman is probably playing out of position at the point.
Old 03-13-19, 05:25 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Mentor 6
Green 10

3:41 1Q
Old 03-13-19, 05:32 PM
Go Buckeyes

Mentor 12
Green 12

End 1Q
Old 03-13-19, 05:37 PM
Go Buckeyes

Mentor 24
Green 19

4:11 2Q
Old 03-13-19, 05:41 PM
Go Buckeyes

Mentor 28
Green 26

1:59 2Q
Old 03-13-19, 05:48 PM
Go Buckeyes

Mentor 33
Green 31

Halftime

Mentor hits a 3 at the buzzer to take the lead.
Old 03-13-19, 06:03 PM
Go Buckeyes

Mentor 37
Green 39

5:37 3Q