Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-12-19, 08:21 PM
All Ohio

bdill100 is on a distinguished road
End of 3
Crestview 46
Hicksville 35
Old 03-12-19, 10:17 PM
Varsity

Porsche is on a distinguished road
Crestview vs MVCD for trip to state.

Crestview won by like 16.
Old 03-13-19, 08:28 AM
All Region

cknights is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Crestview vs MVCD for trip to state.

Crestview won by like 16.
After watching MVCD, they are a fantastic team. Well coached. Play well inside 15 feet. Extremely quick and long. They beat a very well disciplined Grove team and I'm calling those two teams to meet in the regionals again next year as long as Zeb Jackson stays at MVCD. Jackson is all the hype and then some. The kid can flat out play basketball.

Its a toss up right now. My heart goes with Crestview. I think MVCD has better individual ball players. Crestview has the better overall team style of ball.

It'll be a chess match and come down to whomever can shoot from the perimeter better/keep the other out of the lane.

Having seen at least half of the remaining final eight play this year, I can say this without a doubt. Either of these teams can win state.
Old 03-13-19, 09:31 AM
Varsity

I think Crestview is really going to have to play defense and not take stupid shots. I watched them online last night. I wasn't that impressed. The etzler brothers are going to have to take some contact in the block to beat MVCD. Crestview has the size but it means nothing when they constantly hoist 3's.

MVCD does not have as many contributing players though as Crestview does. Javin and Kalen Etzler didn't play well last night and they still won by 16.

Who knows. I'm all for the Knights winning having that public school rep at state. I'd hate to see all that talent not get to showcase it at the Final Four.
Old 03-13-19, 10:05 AM
All Region

It was a team win. As I have stated before. Crestview can win ugly and still beat you by a large margin.

Dealey had 15 and 5 boards. Kline had 10 and 5 boards and 5 assists. Javin Etzler had 13 and 7 boards. Sheets had 11 and 4 boards. Kalen Etzler had 7 and 13 boards.

Its really not the Etzler show all day, but they do need to step up at times and carry the team since they are the D1 athletes and players that they are. Javin had the majority of his points from the block last night. That is growth from him. Kalen needs to learn to hit the block more, but with the way he boards the ball, he gets some easy put backs.

There's a time and a place for 6'7 and 6'8 to rise up and shoot 3s. Its unstoppable unless you can match that length. We will just have to wait and see how it plays out.

There were multiple reps at the game last night from multiple colleges. Notably, Purdue stuck around to talk to Kalen. You just never know how that all plays into the head of a young player as well as they work through the game.
Old 03-13-19, 02:49 PM
Freshman

HShoops1965 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cknights View Post
It was a team win. As I have stated before. Crestview can win ugly and still beat you by a large margin.

Dealey had 15 and 5 boards. Kline had 10 and 5 boards and 5 assists. Javin Etzler had 13 and 7 boards. Sheets had 11 and 4 boards. Kalen Etzler had 7 and 13 boards.

Its really not the Etzler show all day, but they do need to step up at times and carry the team since they are the D1 athletes and players that they are. Javin had the majority of his points from the block last night. That is growth from him. Kalen needs to learn to hit the block more, but with the way he boards the ball, he gets some easy put backs.

There's a time and a place for 6'7 and 6'8 to rise up and shoot 3s. Its unstoppable unless you can match that length. We will just have to wait and see how it plays out.

There were multiple reps at the game last night from multiple colleges. Notably, Purdue stuck around to talk to Kalen. You just never know how that all plays into the head of a young player as well as they work through the game.
I thought Javin's play in the paint was the best part of the game last night. He took 1 shot from beyond the arc and made it - the rest of the points came via the line or in close. A few of the scores came on put backs. Best had him posting up as much as I think I've seen this year.
I'm all for taking the 3 in the flow but often it seems like the outside shot seems forced. It also helped that Derick hit a couple early 3's.

I'm optimistic about Friday's game. I am not sure enough has changed from last years regional semi between these 2 teams. I think the inside game will be key; both in the ability to score and control the glass.
Old 03-13-19, 09:43 PM
All Region

Fizz is on a distinguished road
Updated after Regional Semi Finals
Old 03-13-19, 09:54 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cknights View Post

That's awesome. You don't get that info online watching. Matt Painter is one of the top 3 coaches in the big 10 in my opinion. Oh to be that fortunate...where do i sign???
Old 03-13-19, 09:57 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HShoops1965 View Post
I thought Javin's play in the paint was the best part of the game last night. He took 1 shot from beyond the arc and made it - the rest of the points came via the line or in close. A few of the scores came on put backs. Best had him posting up as much as I think I've seen this year.
I'm all for taking the 3 in the flow but often it seems like the outside shot seems forced. It also helped that Derick hit a couple early 3's.

I'm optimistic about Friday's game. I am not sure enough has changed from last years regional semi between these 2 teams. I think the inside game will be key; both in the ability to score and control the glass.
I do agree. In my rear view mirror, you are probably right. I guess I just over generalized them falling in love with the 3 (see Flyin' to the Hoop). I just sit here in disbelief how good Crestview is and then if they utilized that size down low they would be awesome.

I'm telling you. in order for Crestview to beat MVCD and to possibly vie for a state title...Javin Etzler is going to have times where he just takes over the game and gets a cushion for the Knights. He has the ability to score 10 straight in a blink and teams can't defend him at times.
Old 03-14-19, 07:35 AM
Junior Varsity

braygatron4 is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry but you are delusional if you think MVCD is well coached. If they had a coach that got these guys to play together they'd be damn good. Grove was not that impressive. The Findlay District was relatively weak this year compared to how tough it usually has been in the past..MVCD should've been up 15 on them from the beginning and it wasn't until about 3-4 minutes left in the game when they got a comfortable lead (of 8 points)..Crestview will be able to handle their pressure and will win by 15 or so IF they play to their potential.. Problem is that doesn't always happen.

Also saw MVCD play at Stryker late in the season and were down 46-22 in the fourth quarter...before Zeb took over the game and brought them back for a crazy comeback. So don't get me wrong, they can really play. But they're not on Crestview's level.

cknights said it best..they can win ugly and still beat you by a large margin. You come in gameplanning to shut down the Etzlers and Sheets, and then Dealey knocks down four threes and Kline gets 10 pts and before you know it you're out of it.
Old 03-14-19, 08:30 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by braygatron4 View Post
I'm sorry but you are delusional if you think MVCD is well coached. If they had a coach that got these guys to play together they'd be damn good. Grove was not that impressive. The Findlay District was relatively weak this year compared to how tough it usually has been in the past..MVCD should've been up 15 on them from the beginning and it wasn't until about 3-4 minutes left in the game when they got a comfortable lead (of 8 points)..Crestview will be able to handle their pressure and will win by 15 or so IF they play to their potential.. Problem is that doesn't always happen.

Also saw MVCD play at Stryker late in the season and were down 46-22 in the fourth quarter...before Zeb took over the game and brought them back for a crazy comeback. So don't get me wrong, they can really play. But they're not on Crestview's level.

cknights said it best..they can win ugly and still beat you by a large margin. You come in gameplanning to shut down the Etzlers and Sheets, and then Dealey knocks down four threes and Kline gets 10 pts and before you know it you're out of it.
I think Arlington and Grove were both solid teams out of Findlay. Grove is a year early. Those kids are young. Made some young mistakes. They will be making a run for state in the next year or two. Alot of talent in the sophomore class. A few frosh and juniors that are tough. I won't take anything away from them, though.

As for MVCD, it all depends on tempo. Crestview would love to play tempo, but this is not the team to do it against. I think Jackson is vastly improved from what we seen last year. They still have Dez Jett and they still have at least one to two other starters back. This is a rematch with MVCD having better 1v1 capability. If the Knights lock down on defense, you could be correct. I am cautiously optimistic.

However, I do think MVCD is well coached. They switched from man to a 3/4 court zone press multiple times and changed the game on a dime vs Grove. Grove very well could have won that game. Not all teams can do that. Their offense isn't very well coached as its alot of 1v1 instead of team ball, but I like their defense when they turn it on. Quick hands and long.

It'll be a good matchup. Crestview had alot of success last year inside with Sheets and Stout against this team. Someone (Javin most likely) will have to play from the block and control the inside game along with Sheets.
Old 03-14-19, 12:25 PM
Junior Varsity

T-town is on a distinguished road
Been around a long time, MVCDS is not well coach has good players not utilized properly. Everytime they faced a decent team of equal athleticism and/or a real coach game wasn't even close. See both games vs Cardinal Stritch. MV is weak in the middle Cardinal Stritch had have over 40 points in the paint both games won first game 80-49 and second game 68-44. Jackson can looks good on vs. this talent has not faired well against kids with size. (Joey Holified twice) If Crestview guards can handle the pressure of the 3/4 press they can win. If either Etzler crashes the boards they can win by double digits.

MV had better overall talent last year and lost, year later not as deep might be the same result.
Old 03-14-19, 02:14 PM
All Region

Very good. I stand corrected. I guess watching their defense switch in and out of zone press to man was more impressive in my mind than just any badly coached team.

Certainly feel more confident reading other's thoughts. I would say Jackson is a special talent. Probably the best in Ohio at his position and likely D4 player of the year. Still a tough matchup but looking forward to it! Thanks for the insight guys.
Old 03-14-19, 06:24 PM
All American

Lep2002 is on a distinguished road
How did Richmond Heights not end up ranked in the D4 top-10? Did voters just never see them play? They have six losses, but look at who they lost to. I canít imagine any voter watching them play a game and not thinking they are one of the best teams in division four.
Old 03-15-19, 06:27 PM
All Ohio

At the half
Jackson Center 18
St. Henry 17
Old 03-15-19, 06:29 PM
All Yappi

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
End of 1st

Hiland 19
Glenwood 5
Old 03-15-19, 06:31 PM
All Yappi

End of 1st

MVCD 15
Crestview 12
Old 03-15-19, 06:32 PM
All Ohio

At the half
Crestview 29
Toledo MVCD 19
Old 03-15-19, 06:34 PM
All Yappi

Halftime

Hiland 49
Glenwood 15
Old 03-15-19, 06:35 PM
Varsity

mich97 is on a distinguished road
Missed ft right at the end of the half keeps it from a running clock in the Hiland game...
Old 03-15-19, 06:37 PM
All Ohio

blue60 is on a distinguished road
Anyone have update Springfield- Richmond game at canton
Old 03-15-19, 06:40 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue60 View Post
Anyone have update Springfield- Richmond game at canton
24-19 Richmond Heights at half
Old 03-15-19, 06:41 PM
Varsity

High-school BB fan is on a distinguished road
Richmond Heights up 24-19 at the half.
Old 03-15-19, 06:53 PM
All Ohio

End of 3
St. Henry 28
Jackson Center 26
Old 03-15-19, 07:00 PM
All Ohio

End of 3
Crestview 46
MVCD 32
Old 03-15-19, 07:01 PM
All Yappi

End of 3rd

Hiland 63
Glenwood 26
Old 03-15-19, 07:16 PM
All Region

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
Hiland 75 Glenwood 32 final.
Old 03-15-19, 07:22 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
44-43 Richmond Heights up 16 sec left
Old 03-15-19, 07:27 PM
All Region

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
Please post final scores of other regionals. That's an order. Lol.
Old 03-15-19, 07:28 PM
Varsity

mich97 is on a distinguished road
St Henry 46 Jackson Center 43