Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-07-19, 07:26 AM
All American

The Dock is an unknown quantity at this point
Referee Suspended Following Bizarre Uniform Mishap

OHSAA has suspended the head official of the crew that worked this past Sunday’s Division IV Southeast District Semi-Final between Whiteoak and Waterford, a game which beheld a bizzare and unfortunate uniform blunder.

There is some conflicting information* being floated on some details, but basically the controversy is Whiteoak showed up wearing orange uniforms when they should’ve been playing in home whites and Waterford, the road team, arrived in green (like they should have.) Both teams agreed to play it as “orange versus green”, and the matter was considered to be resolved. However, news has came out since then that the OHSAA has rebuked the official who allowed this to happen and has stripped him of games in this year’s postseason tournament.

*It was suggested on the Southeast Ohio forum by a poster understood to be from Whiteoak that Whiteoak brought all three pairs of their uniforms with them.

This, ironically, is the second straight year involving a uniform blunder in the SE District, as last year New Boston arrived in red away jerseys when they should’ve been in home whites. Their opponent in that game, South Webster, showed up in the correct uniforms, their road ones, which also happened to be red. That situation was resolved by the officials forcing New Boston to wear Ohio University’s white practice jerseys!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-19, 07:30 AM
All American

Below is a photo of the game in question. Credit to Stephen Forsha of the Highland County Press.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1A129AEA-EEB2-4C16-B200-5C87C4AD6695.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	2838  
Old 03-07-19, 07:38 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
To me, that's a sufficient contrast that it shouldn't cause a problem. Not sure about team members or game officials who have some red-green color blindness, though. But if both teams agreed to it .....

Is OHSAA implying the head ref should have implemented the OU practice jersey solution?
Old 03-07-19, 07:47 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Is OHSAA implying the head ref should have implemented the OU practice jersey solution?
That’s what I don’t understand, and that uncertainty is leaving a lot of people confused, disappointed and mad.

What exactly did OHSAA want him to do? Make them wear the white jerseys? Or, perhaps sadly, establish a forfeit on the basis of showing up wearing the wrong jersey?

To me, it just seems ridiculous to suspend the official given that there were probably OHSAA evaluators in the stands and Southeast District Athletic Board representatives at the scores table that could’ve advised. In fact, I wonder how the district people OK’d this if it turned out to be not kosher?
Old 03-07-19, 07:51 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
To me, that's a sufficient contrast that it shouldn't cause a problem. Not sure about team members or game officials who have some red-green color blindness, though. But if both teams agreed to it .....

Like usual, (just like the referee/deaf interpreter story) the whole story isn't being told.

The facts will come out and when they do, then true debate/criticism can be had or offered.
Old 03-07-19, 07:59 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Like usual, (just like the referee/deaf interpreter story) the whole story isn't being told.

The facts will come out and when they do, then true debate/criticism can be had or offered.
I’m not claiming to be giving the whole story, because I’m not directly involved and therefore don’t have all the facts. Indeed, I even note there is conflicting information being floated regarding what jerseys were or weren’t brought.

With all due respect, I’m not holding my breath on “the facts coming out” [sic] because unless OHSAA themselves puts out a statement establishing their vision of events leading to the decision they reached or if the local media can proffer a more complete narrative, what I’ve posted is the summation of all that has been made public thusfar by both people with more or less intimate knowledge of the situation than I.
Old 03-07-19, 08:03 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Being reasonable? Hoisting me by my own petard? No fair!

But yeah, these quirky situations always cause my ears to perk up.
Old 03-07-19, 08:49 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
I’m not claiming to be giving the whole story, because I’m not directly involved and therefore don’t have all the facts. Indeed, I even note there is conflicting information being floated regarding what jerseys were or weren’t brought.

With all due respect, I’m not holding my breath on “the facts coming out” [sic] because unless OHSAA themselves puts out a statement establishing their vision of events leading to the decision they reached or if the local media can proffer a more complete narrative, what I’ve posted is the summation of all that has been made public thusfar by both people with more or less intimate knowledge of the situation than I.
On a prior post you pondered... "In fact, I wonder how the district people OK’d this if it turned out to be not kosher?"

And that's the whole point, maybe they didn't OK it. Maybe they did.

We do know this however.... the regulation regarding uniforms is very clear and the procedure in place is designed to avoid situations just like this. If the regulation/procedure isn't followed and/or the tournament manager doesn't approve of such a change, penalties are in order based on NFHS Rule 3-4.

With regards to the OHSAA making a statement about punishing an official.... it's a rare occurrence that any private organization publicizes their discipline meted out to employees or contractors.
Old 03-07-19, 08:52 AM
All World

Quote:
Being reasonable? Hoisting me by my own petard? No fair!

But yeah, these quirky situations always cause my ears to perk up.
We have a saying in officiating......

When a play looks "funny" or "unusual" people (fans) immediately scream that a violation or foul has occurred.....Then when closely examined, we usually find out it's really nothing.

That's what happened with the case in Indiana recently, and who knows, maybe it will be the case here.... and maybe not
Old 03-07-19, 10:14 AM
All American

Well, moderator on the SE board wrote this:

“The team (Whiteoak) that was supposed to wear their white uniforms indeed had their white jerseys with them, but they wanted to wear their 'lucky' orange jerseys. The official disregarded the uniform policy and let them wear the orange uniforms even though he knew that they had their white jerseys with them and was supposed to be wearing them. Once the teams take the floor, it's the official's jurisdiction and responsibility (not the board) to enforce the rules, and he chose not to. That's why his regional and district game was stripped of him.

- that is officially what happened.”
Old 03-07-19, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Suspension seems warranted.

With that said, any other form HS hoops players here always bring their home and away uni's to each game? I know many of us did for the heck of it.
Old 03-07-19, 10:34 AM
All District

calltheobvious
We had this happen in the SW once a few years ago. The home team said they read the bracket wrong and only brought their away jerseys. The difference in colour was distinctive enough that they could play. The officials were going to start the game with the prescribed technical foul but members of the SWDAB stepped in and said to play the game as if everything was ok. If they indeed had their white jerseys there they should have changed into them, if they refused to change out of their lucky orange uniforms it should cost them two shots and the ball and a game report to OHSAA.
Old 03-07-19, 10:52 AM
All Region

zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
Just going to share the rule here...

The home team must wear white jerseys under NFHS rules, and the OHSAA has made this crystal clear. It is not like the NCAA rule where the home team may wear "light" jerseys.

The penalty for noncompliance is a direct technical foul charged to the head coach.
Old 03-07-19, 11:06 AM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Same thing happened in 2014 up here in Cleveland when Cleveland VASJ and Columbia Station Columbia had a Christmas theme District Semi matchup. There was some confusion with the bracket saying the team on the top half of the bracket as was in D-IV when VASJ briefly was I. that division with a small enrollment and was the home team as it was when teams picked what side of the bracket they wanted to play. Because of the thinking that bottom half is the away team, they pack only their red uniforms and when they got there Columbia was in their green uniforms. Officials allowed them to played the game without any technical fouls for wrong jerseys.

In all honesty, NFHS should really consider allowing color on color matchups instead of forcing the home team to wear white as long as the two teams are aware of the arrangement. I know back in the 90’s early 00’s teams that had gold as a main color used to wear gold as their home uniforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-19, 12:14 PM
All Ohio

playboi12 is on a distinguished road
He got suspended for that? Some teams only have one set of jerseys!
Old 03-07-19, 12:32 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
An Official last week in Elder-Oak Hills did not have on the proper uniform. Will/did he face discipline?
Old 03-07-19, 12:44 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by playboi12 View Post
Some teams only have one set of jerseys!
What teams are those?
Old 03-07-19, 01:55 PM
Varsity

3343 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He got suspended for that? Some teams only have one set of jerseys!
That one set better be reversible! Like previously stated home team must wear white and road team wears color. Therefore its pretty much a must to have 2 different uniforms.
Old 03-07-19, 02:22 PM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
An Official last week in Elder-Oak Hills did not have on the proper uniform. Will/did he face discipline?
Yeah one didn't have the OHSAA patch on his shirt. I assume that's what you are referring to?
Old 03-07-19, 03:30 PM
All Ohio

playboi12 is on a distinguished road
So if Moeller wanted to wear gold at home, which I believe has been done in the past, it's a no go?
Old 03-07-19, 04:44 PM
All Region

Quote:
So if Moeller wanted to wear gold at home, which I believe has been done in the past, it's a no go?
It's not allowed per NFHS rules without incurring a technical foul. Many officials probably wouldn't enforce it in the regular season, but during the postseason the OHSAA expects rules to be applied by the book.

The rule is clear and the schools know what the rule is.
Old 03-07-19, 05:20 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastripes View Post
Many officials probably wouldn't enforce it in the regular season, but during the postseason the OHSAA expects rules to be applied by the book.
And the reason for both of those situations reflects directly on the assigners.

If during the regular season the official enforces the rule, he'll lose his remaining games and won't be assigned games in that league again. If the official doesn't enforce the rule in the tournament, he'll lose his remaining games and risks being assigned games the following year or two.
Old 03-07-19, 05:22 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
In all honesty, NFHS should really consider allowing color on color matchups instead of forcing the home team to wear white as long as the two teams are aware of the arrangement. I know back in the 90’s early 00’s teams that had gold as a main color used to wear gold as their home uniforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You identified exactly why the rule is now written they way it currently is. No contrast in colors makes it very difficult to play and officiate.

The schools brought this upon themselves and unfortunately not enough officials will enforce this.
Old 03-07-19, 05:48 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JElder View Post
Yeah one didn't have the OHSAA patch on his shirt. I assume that's what you are referring to?
Shirt with Side Panels OHSAA Uniform Shirt? Was not at Hamilton for warm ups but was told wrong jacket was worn also by this gentleman?? Any discipline for this Official?
Old 03-08-19, 01:26 AM
All Region

Curious One is on a distinguished road
So does the OHSA, in their infinite wisdom, anoint a “head referee,” or is it the first guy to sign the book? What about the other 2 who could have stepped in? This is a joke! Shame on the school for not doing the right thing!
Old 03-08-19, 01:47 AM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Sucks for the official. Put in a bad spot
Old 03-08-19, 06:43 AM
All Ohio

coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
What teams are those?
Cincinnati Withrow only has one set at the Freshman and JV level. I didn't stay for the varsity game.
Old 03-08-19, 07:10 AM
Varsity

jbob is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltfan76 View Post
Cincinnati Withrow only has one set at the Freshman and JV level. I didn't stay for the varsity game.
I'm Confused Why would they wear different color uniforms on the same day?
Old 03-08-19, 08:01 AM
All Region

Quote:
And the reason for both of those situations reflects directly on the assigners.

If during the regular season the official enforces the rule, he'll lose his remaining games and won't be assigned games in that league again. If the official doesn't enforce the rule in the tournament, he'll lose his remaining games and risks being assigned games the following year or two.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
Shirt with Side Panels OHSAA Uniform Shirt? Was not at Hamilton for warm ups but was told wrong jacket was worn also by this gentleman?? Any discipline for this Official?
The OHSAA-approved shirt with the sublimated logo, which has been required for a few years now, doesn’t have side panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious One View Post
So does the OHSA, in their infinite wisdom, anoint a “head referee,” or is it the first guy to sign the book? What about the other 2 who could have stepped in? This is a joke! Shame on the school for not doing the right thing!
In postseason games the R (crew chief), U1, and U2 roles are specifically designated by the assigners (at least in my district and the regional/state rounds). In the regular season some assigners desígnate it, others let the crew decide on its own.

It’s possible that the other two tried to get the R to enforce the rule and he refused. Again, all speculation.

In this situation the R needs to tell the team that not wearing white will result in a direct technical foul on the coach. Since that results in the head coach having to sit the whole game (and being one T away from an early shower), more often than not the team will oblige if they have the white uniforms with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Sucks for the official. Put in a bad spot
The crew should have assessed a technical foul if the team didn’t wear white. Simple as that.
Old 03-08-19, 10:47 AM
All Ohio

DaPope is on a distinguished road
I also heard that an Official from the SW District is working a State Championship with a ranking that is half of what it should be to Officiate at that level?