Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-05-19, 03:19 PM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Baseball news 2019

So ESPN's baseball analyst and former olympic softball player Jessica Mendoza has been hired by the New York Mets in the front office to evaluate personnel.

However, she will also continue to be part of the broadcast team with ESPN.

Anyone see a problem with this? No conflict of interest?

This is like baseball networks' Harrold Reynolds working with the Red Sox on some front office projects.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-19, 04:36 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
No problem here as long as they have disclosed her ties to both organizations. Therefore, we can all evaluate her opinions with full knowledge of her situation.

Besides, it's only sports, man. Stop taking this stuff so seriously.
Old 03-06-19, 11:58 AM
All District

ceebass13 is on a distinguished road
I am not a fan of the Sunday Night booth. It feels like Mendoza and ARod get in the way of each other and try to talk over each other the entire game.
Old 03-06-19, 12:20 PM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
I have no concerns about her having 2 jobs. Her spot with the Mets is only an issue if she is doing a Mets game, and the worst thing that she could do from the booth is be overly complimentary of the Mets. Who cares?

I do agree with the post above that 3 people in the booth is too many. Two is good, play by play and analyst.
Old 03-07-19, 08:06 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
No problem here as long as they have disclosed her ties to both organizations. Therefore, we can all evaluate her opinions with full knowledge of her situation.

Besides, it's only sports, man. Stop taking this stuff so seriously.
You are correct, and I don't take it too seriously, it's sports.

But it's a clear conflict, but ESPN's drive to be "stylish" and "politically correct" supersedes all else. Imagine Alex Rodriguez being a special assistant to the Yankees?
Old 03-07-19, 08:09 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
I have no concerns about her having 2 jobs. Her spot with the Mets is only an issue if she is doing a Mets game, and the worst thing that she could do from the booth is be overly complimentary of the Mets. Who cares?

I do agree with the post above that 3 people in the booth is too many. Two is good, play by play and analyst.
So if she's doing a game with the Red Sox and Royals, she can't "scout" players for some inside intel??

This is at least a very odd hire. Not only to mention that ESPN pays major league baseball a ton of money to televise games.
Old 03-07-19, 08:11 AM
All World

Onto other baseball news...Steven Wright, not the comedian, but the pitcher for the Red Sox, was banned from baseball for 80 games for a failed PED test. Here's the oddity...Wright is predominately a knuckleball pitcher??

Why would a knuckleball pitcher need PED's????
Old 03-07-19, 09:55 AM
All District

ceebass13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Onto other baseball news...Steven Wright, not the comedian, but the pitcher for the Red Sox, was banned from baseball for 80 games for a failed PED test. Here's the oddity...Wright is predominately a knuckleball pitcher??

Why would a knuckleball pitcher need PED's????
I think he is coming back from knee surgery. I guess the extra juice will help his knee feel better and make that knuckleball dance some more....
Old 03-07-19, 10:57 AM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
I could be wrong but I believe Arod also has front office ties to the Yankees as does David Ross for the Cubs.
Old 03-07-19, 12:14 PM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
So if she's doing a game with the Red Sox and Royals, she can't "scout" players for some inside intel??

This is at least a very odd hire. Not only to mention that ESPN pays major league baseball a ton of money to televise games.
Anybody from any team can "scout" players. Most of them will get better seats than the TV booth. What are you concerned about?

And how does the fact that ESPN pays MLB for TV rights have anything to do with this? There is no logic in your argument at all. Calm down.
Old 03-18-19, 07:10 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
I could be wrong but I believe Arod also has front office ties to the Yankees as does David Ross for the Cubs.
Yes, you are correct.
ARod is actually in the booth with her on Sunday nights.
David Ross also works for ESPN as well as the Cubs.
David Ortiz has worked for FOX while under contract with the Red Sox. Pedro Martinez has had a similar arrangement.

I could go on. These have all been disclosed to viewers publicly, so all of us can know clearly what the situation is. Viewers can all make up their own minds, but there is nothing nefarious going on here.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: