Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-05-19, 03:19 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,490
14Red is on a distinguished road
Baseball news 2019

So ESPN's baseball analyst and former olympic softball player Jessica Mendoza has been hired by the New York Mets in the front office to evaluate personnel.

However, she will also continue to be part of the broadcast team with ESPN.

Anyone see a problem with this? No conflict of interest?

This is like baseball networks' Harrold Reynolds working with the Red Sox on some front office projects.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 03-05-19, 04:36 PM
Monclova Steve Monclova Steve is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-26-09
Location: Monclova, OH
Posts: 1,514
Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
No problem here as long as they have disclosed her ties to both organizations. Therefore, we can all evaluate her opinions with full knowledge of her situation.

Besides, it's only sports, man. Stop taking this stuff so seriously.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-06-19, 11:58 AM
ceebass13 ceebass13 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-27-17
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 206
ceebass13 is on a distinguished road
I am not a fan of the Sunday Night booth. It feels like Mendoza and ARod get in the way of each other and try to talk over each other the entire game.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-06-19, 12:20 PM
wolves82 wolves82 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-31-16
Posts: 901
wolves82 is on a distinguished road
I have no concerns about her having 2 jobs. Her spot with the Mets is only an issue if she is doing a Mets game, and the worst thing that she could do from the booth is be overly complimentary of the Mets. Who cares?

I do agree with the post above that 3 people in the booth is too many. Two is good, play by play and analyst.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-07-19, 08:06 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,490
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
No problem here as long as they have disclosed her ties to both organizations. Therefore, we can all evaluate her opinions with full knowledge of her situation.

Besides, it's only sports, man. Stop taking this stuff so seriously.
You are correct, and I don't take it too seriously, it's sports.

But it's a clear conflict, but ESPN's drive to be "stylish" and "politically correct" supersedes all else. Imagine Alex Rodriguez being a special assistant to the Yankees?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-07-19, 08:09 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,490
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
I have no concerns about her having 2 jobs. Her spot with the Mets is only an issue if she is doing a Mets game, and the worst thing that she could do from the booth is be overly complimentary of the Mets. Who cares?

I do agree with the post above that 3 people in the booth is too many. Two is good, play by play and analyst.
So if she's doing a game with the Red Sox and Royals, she can't "scout" players for some inside intel??

This is at least a very odd hire. Not only to mention that ESPN pays major league baseball a ton of money to televise games.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-07-19, 08:11 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,490
14Red is on a distinguished road
Onto other baseball news...Steven Wright, not the comedian, but the pitcher for the Red Sox, was banned from baseball for 80 games for a failed PED test. Here's the oddity...Wright is predominately a knuckleball pitcher??

Why would a knuckleball pitcher need PED's????
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-07-19, 09:55 AM
ceebass13 ceebass13 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-27-17
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 206
ceebass13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Onto other baseball news...Steven Wright, not the comedian, but the pitcher for the Red Sox, was banned from baseball for 80 games for a failed PED test. Here's the oddity...Wright is predominately a knuckleball pitcher??

Why would a knuckleball pitcher need PED's????
I think he is coming back from knee surgery. I guess the extra juice will help his knee feel better and make that knuckleball dance some more....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-07-19, 10:57 AM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 5,609
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
I could be wrong but I believe Arod also has front office ties to the Yankees as does David Ross for the Cubs.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-07-19, 12:14 PM
wolves82 wolves82 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-31-16
Posts: 901
wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
So if she's doing a game with the Red Sox and Royals, she can't "scout" players for some inside intel??

This is at least a very odd hire. Not only to mention that ESPN pays major league baseball a ton of money to televise games.
Anybody from any team can "scout" players. Most of them will get better seats than the TV booth. What are you concerned about?

And how does the fact that ESPN pays MLB for TV rights have anything to do with this? There is no logic in your argument at all. Calm down.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-18-19, 07:10 PM
Monclova Steve Monclova Steve is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-26-09
Location: Monclova, OH
Posts: 1,514
Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
I could be wrong but I believe Arod also has front office ties to the Yankees as does David Ross for the Cubs.
Yes, you are correct.
ARod is actually in the booth with her on Sunday nights.
David Ross also works for ESPN as well as the Cubs.
David Ortiz has worked for FOX while under contract with the Red Sox. Pedro Martinez has had a similar arrangement.

I could go on. These have all been disclosed to viewers publicly, so all of us can know clearly what the situation is. Viewers can all make up their own minds, but there is nothing nefarious going on here.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2019 - 17/18U Grizzlies Baseball Club - Looking for Catcher & Shortstop Dutch Baseball 1 09-03-18 05:10 PM
Ohio Longhorns Baseball Tryouts 2019 BulldogBaseball Baseball 4 07-31-18 09:57 AM
15U 2019 Canes Baseball Tryouts Canesbaseball804 Baseball 8 07-28-18 08:46 AM
2019 - 17/18U Grizzlies Baseball Club - Tryout this Saturday July 28 Dutch Baseball 0 07-26-18 09:18 PM
Wolverine-Buckeye tournaments - Over 1,000 entries for 2018 already Wolverine-Buckeye TC Baseball 0 12-28-17 11:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz