Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-07-19, 01:46 PM
All Region

cknights is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bias View Post
Sidenote: How will the addition of wrestling be handled for gym time? This is a question I have as I'd like to see the wrestling program thrive. Do you see this as a threat to basketball success? Can both be successful? Just curious as to your thoughts.
I personally like the wrestling program, as I see it as another sport that kids can do if they can't quite cut it on the hardwood. It only stands to help the football program as well. That being said, with classes of 60-70 kids, its going to be hard to have enough athletes to go around.

I can't imagine taking some of Crestview's more physical players on the hardwood and making them wrestlers. It takes away a certain dynamic to the team. While Crestview always has been and will continue to be a very decent basketball school, I think there is room for the wrestling program and it gives more athletes more opportunities to excel in something.

As for gym time, its going to be rough. I can imagine Crestview starting to do some Thursday/Saturday games. Right now, the youth holds tournaments on Sundays in the gym, but with practice and baseball/softball needing gym time, one can only imagine that this will and should expedite getting a community center/sports complex built just like Lincolnview has.
Old 03-07-19, 02:28 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cknights View Post

TCGo, you love to ride Crestview. You get beat by them in your younger days or just don't like them? Regardless, good luck tonight vs Bluffton. Your run probably stops tonight or Saturday night with Archbold. A couple of early outs for some great OG teams as of late.
Lol, I have never ridden Crestview....in fact, I've said quite a few times that I think they are likely the NW Ohio rep to state in D4.

As for us, we're doing ok, thanks for asking...lol. As for the "couple early outs"...well, if.....18 Regional Semis, 17 District Final, 16 Regional final, 15 Regional Semi, 14 Regional Final, 13 State champs, 12 State semis, 11 Regional Semi are what you consider to be early outs, I guess we'll just deal with it

Last edited by tcgobucks; 03-08-19 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-07-19, 02:35 PM
Freshman

bigboy97 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks. So you are big on Richmond Heights. I think I stated this before. They are rumored to be extremely good.

Anyone out of that Regional that could challenge them?
I havent seen Richmond heights just looking at scores and personel. The winner of the Crawford South Central game will be tough and battle tested. The winner of that district the past 3 years was st pete and they were close to getting to state two of the 3 years losing in the reg. final game with chances to win it.
Old 03-07-19, 03:31 PM
All District

Basement Bias is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I personally like the wrestling program, as I see it as another sport that kids can do if they can't quite cut it on the hardwood. It only stands to help the football program as well. That being said, with classes of 60-70 kids, its going to be hard to have enough athletes to go around.

I can't imagine taking some of Crestview's more physical players on the hardwood and making them wrestlers. It takes away a certain dynamic to the team. While Crestview always has been and will continue to be a very decent basketball school, I think there is room for the wrestling program and it gives more athletes more opportunities to excel in something.

As for gym time, its going to be rough. I can imagine Crestview starting to do some Thursday/Saturday games. Right now, the youth holds tournaments on Sundays in the gym, but with practice and baseball/softball needing gym time, one can only imagine that this will and should expedite getting a community center/sports complex built just like Lincolnview has.
What are the plans or where is the sports complex supposed to be built? I don't see much room on the current campus unless they have access behind the football stadium.
Old 03-07-19, 04:51 PM
All Region

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Certainly wasn't trying to be funny.

I see Rosecrans who had a very good record against a very mediocre schedule with a very bad loss played Hiland very tough. I'm trying to get a feel for how good these teams are.

You are correct about the "ifs and buts". It seems to me that Hiland didn't capitalize on the ifs and buts and Rosecrans did. Which is a very scary thought if you are a Hiland fan.

That said, I guess the bottom line is that I see a stacked BG and Kettering Regional. Trying to get a feel for the Canton and Athens Regionals and if there are more than one or two teams rolling through these brackets.
You are funny - perhaps a better word would be "amusing" - because you are looking for strands of information that confirm a conclusion you want to arrive at and one that gives you comfort. I'm not attacking you. I'm pointing out the absurdity of fans who do that - which is something I have done.

If you could figure out who is who and what who would do against who, you would be a billionaire because you would have figured out a way to beat the house. Lol.

The best thing about sports is that it is totally unpredictable. I listened to a game last night where a bench player found herself in a regional semi, the ball came to her with a second left with her team down 2, she threw it up, and she banked in a 3. Her team had trailed almost the entire game.

Essentially, you are trying to predict the unpredictable. Yes, Strasburg can beat Hiland. Probably won't, but can. Yes, Hiland is an elite defensive team. They will make it hard on almost everyone to run their offense. Yes, they aren't the greatest offensive team in the world. Yes, Crestview is excellent. So are some other teams still alive. Who is better and who would beat who? No one knows. My message to you is to embrace that.

Oh, and as an IVC fan and a Hiland fan, I don't have scary thoughts for our teams. I had scary thoughts when my son was busting down doors in Iraq and going on missions in Afghanistan. HS sports doesn't evoke any fear. It's leisure/entertainment. Here's what I know that you don't: when it's all said and done, who won and who didn't doesn't really amount to a warm bucket of spit. The relationships, experiences, and, most importantly, the life lessons that kids take from playing is the only thing that has real value and lasting impact. No one cares who won the state championship 5 years ago. A lot of people care if a person can show up on time, work hard, work with others, be coached, lead, follow, be self-disciplined, sacrifice for the greater good, etc.

Last edited by IVCguy; 03-07-19 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-08-19, 09:24 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCguy View Post
You are funny - perhaps a better word would be "amusing" - because you are looking for strands of information that confirm a conclusion you want to arrive at and one that gives you comfort. I'm not attacking you. I'm pointing out the absurdity of fans who do that - which is something I have done.

If you could figure out who is who and what who would do against who, you would be a billionaire because you would have figured out a way to beat the house. Lol.

The best thing about sports is that it is totally unpredictable. I listened to a game last night where a bench player found herself in a regional semi, the ball came to her with a second left with her team down 2, she threw it up, and she banked in a 3. Her team had trailed almost the entire game.

Essentially, you are trying to predict the unpredictable. Yes, Strasburg can beat Hiland. Probably won't, but can. Yes, Hiland is an elite defensive team. They will make it hard on almost everyone to run their offense. Yes, they aren't the greatest offensive team in the world. Yes, Crestview is excellent. So are some other teams still alive. Who is better and who would beat who? No one knows. My message to you is to embrace that.

Oh, and as an IVC fan and a Hiland fan, I don't have scary thoughts for our teams. I had scary thoughts when my son was busting down doors in Iraq and going on missions in Afghanistan. HS sports doesn't evoke any fear. It's leisure/entertainment. Here's what I know that you don't: when it's all said and done, who won and who didn't doesn't really amount to a warm bucket of spit. The relationships, experiences, and, most importantly, the life lessons that kids take from playing is the only thing that has real value and lasting impact. No one cares who won the state championship 5 years ago. A lot of people care if a person can show up on time, work hard, work with others, be coached, lead, follow, be self-disciplined, sacrifice for the greater good, etc.
Cool story.

This is a basketball forum where we come on banter about what did and will and might happen. The holier than thou speech is a little overrated.

What I have gathered (since all I know about Hiland is their team has been well regarded on both the girls and boys side) is that most think Hiland will end up in state. I'm trying to get a feel for whether there is anyone that thinks Hiland or Richmond Heights won't walk through to Columbus.

What I have stated is that Kalida could very well knock off Crestview tonight and if not them, then MVCD and/or Columbus Grove, etc have a chance before Crestview could even sniff state.

I get a feel that some people believe some teams are just untouchable. Asking who can knock off who doesn't evoke any flashbacks of war and I feel for someone that has to come on here to flash that as their trump card.
Old 03-08-19, 09:33 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
Lol, I have never ridden Crestview....in fact, I've said quite a few times that I think they are likely the NW Ohio rep to state in D4.

As for us, we're doing ok, thanks for asking...lol. As for the "couple early outs"...well, if.....18 Regional Semis, 17 District Final, 16 Regional final, 15 Regional Semi, 14 Regional Final, 13 Regional Final, 12 State semis, 11 Regional Semi are what you consider to be early outs, I guess we'll just deal with it
Could have/should have been in state last year. Had a tough one for your girls against LB this year. Some absolutely great teams. Just haven't been to the pinnacle in awhile (outside of the girls program four years straight).

You do tend to follow my posts and argue against me though. Its a curious habit of yours.

I have asked multiple times who can beat Hiland and Richmond Heights. I have stated multiple times that Crestview and St Henry (the favorites in their respective regions) could potentially lose as early as District finals.

I have not seen one person state a team that can beat Hiland. They must be untouchable. That's my point. I'm humble about my team, even though I could continue to tout multiple D1 athletes and the fact that we have the most basketball talent in D4. Other fans....not so much.

BTW, what a win by Coldwater and what a gift to OG. Archbold has been a thorn in OG's side. Good Luck Saturday. Coldwater is hot right now, but that was such an emotional win that its hard to do twice and days apart.
Old 03-08-19, 09:35 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bias View Post
What are the plans or where is the sports complex supposed to be built? I don't see much room on the current campus unless they have access behind the football stadium.
Crestview owns all of the farm ground around the back side of the complex. The school has to agree to release some of the windmill money to get it built from my understanding. Hopefully the introduction of wrestling expedites that process.
Old 03-08-19, 03:27 PM
All American

The Dock is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Cool story.

This is a basketball forum where we come on banter about what did and will and might happen. The holier than thou speech is a little overrated.

What I have gathered (since all I know about Hiland is their team has been well regarded on both the girls and boys side) is that most think Hiland will end up in state. I'm trying to get a feel for whether there is anyone that thinks Hiland or Richmond Heights won't walk through to Columbus.

What I have stated is that Kalida could very well knock off Crestview tonight and if not them, then MVCD and/or Columbus Grove, etc have a chance before Crestview could even sniff state.

I get a feel that some people believe some teams are just untouchable. Asking who can knock off who doesn't evoke any flashbacks of war and I feel for someone that has to come on here to flash that as their trump card.
Maybe you should spend a few days on self-imposed exile island, for your own good.
Old 03-08-19, 10:59 PM
Varsity

Porsche is on a distinguished road
Convoy Crestview won in Double OT against a very talented Kalida team.

Javen Etzler hit a huge 3 in OT to send it to double OT. The shot on twitter was impressive.

But how in the heck did they give up such a big lead with 2 min to go??? Crestview was up 15 and then it was gone. Their free throw shooting was not great either. If they play like that they won't get out of regionals.
Old 03-08-19, 11:29 PM
Freshman

JAB is on a distinguished road
Kalida sent them to the foul line where they shoot around 50% as team for the year. The Etzlers are athletic but they sure didn't look like they liked it when players would get physical with them.
Old 03-08-19, 11:43 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post
Kalida sent them to the foul line where they shoot around 50% as team for the year. The Etzlers are athletic but they sure didn't look like they liked it when players would get physical with them.
Agreed. They don't like contact much. They should be scoring 30-40 points together on the block. You're 6'8 and 6'7 and you're shooting 20 footers in D4 basketball??? We get it. youre both talented and can play like guards but its tournament time and you need to easy scores on the block. High Low all day long but they don't do it. I don't get it. Crestview should be absolutely unstoppable. There is NO better D4 team out there but if they want to chuck 20 footers all day you will lose!!
Old 03-09-19, 09:46 AM
All American

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Caught the end of the game on replay. Surprised Crestview lost a 13 point lead with 3:00 to go. Surprised that their last second shot in regulation to win it was a deep three. Equally surprised Kalida, with a 3 point lead with 10 seconds left in OT, did not foul at halfcourt. And stunned Kalida had the ball the final 57 seconds of the 2nd OT and did not get off a shot. Even after a time out with 12 seconds to go they did not get a shot off. Not even a heave at the buzzer. Sounds like an exciting game but whoever lost was going to spend a lot of time saying "What if..."
Old 03-09-19, 12:26 PM
All Region

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Cool story.

Not holier than thou, but I'm guessing decades oldier than thou.

You prove the adage that the definition of a fan is someone who is in a constant search for the slightest bit of disrespect.

I tried to lead you to water, but you don't know you are thirsty.
Old 03-09-19, 12:34 PM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Convoy Crestview won in Double OT against a very talented Kalida team.
Very talented ? That is a little hyperbole. Kalida definitely has some talent but this is a Wildcat team that lost to a 8 win New Bremen team during the regular season.
Old 03-09-19, 07:52 PM
Freshman

JAB is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't put much stock into that season opening close loss to New Breman. From what I heard Kalida didn't get very many scrimmages in before the season started.
Old 03-09-19, 08:38 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Very talented ? That is a little hyperbole. Kalida definitely has some talent but this is a Wildcat team that lost to a 8 win New Bremen team during the regular season.
Kalida hadn't lost since like December.

Kurt Stubbs has been singing their praises for weeks. This was a good team and would destroy New Bremen now. Trust and believe.
Old 03-11-19, 08:41 AM
All Region

Quote:
Lol. A MSML fan coming on to bash a Crestview win? Come on. Kalida played their hearts out. They hit five contested threes in a row in the last three minutes of the game. Hats off to them. They also were a five loss team that was ranked in the top 150 in the state of Ohio and had kids that could match up size for size (better than most) with Crestview. Enjoy the ride the rest of the way. Your boys Mescher (last year) and Bruns (last and this year) carried some great teams through some great games. Now its time to give credit where credit is due.

As for Crestview, on to Hicksville. A top 100 ranked team in Ohio.
Old 03-11-19, 08:44 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCguy View Post
Not holier than thou, but I'm guessing decades oldier than thou.

You prove the adage that the definition of a fan is someone who is in a constant search for the slightest bit of disrespect.

I tried to lead you to water, but you don't know you are thirsty.
Crestview born and bred and been around the program for five decades. Not sure how old you are, but you prove the old adage of fandom being a "fanatic". Only a fanatic would compare a message board to war.

Good luck on your road. Hopefully we see you in state. If not, its been fun. No guarantees for us. Kalida proved that without a doubt on Friday night.
Old 03-11-19, 08:48 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay Fan View Post
Caught the end of the game on replay. Surprised Crestview lost a 13 point lead with 3:00 to go. Surprised that their last second shot in regulation to win it was a deep three. Equally surprised Kalida, with a 3 point lead with 10 seconds left in OT, did not foul at halfcourt. And stunned Kalida had the ball the final 57 seconds of the 2nd OT and did not get off a shot. Even after a time out with 12 seconds to go they did not get a shot off. Not even a heave at the buzzer. Sounds like an exciting game but whoever lost was going to spend a lot of time saying "What if..."
If you have followed Kalida all year, you know they have been unstoppable since they got their stud back. Surprised Crestview was up 13 with three to go. Hats off to Kalida for hitting five consecutive threes. Their best player hit one over the outstretched hand of the younger Etzler which is about 8 and a half feet in your face. That was to tie and go into overtime. What a great group of players Kalida has. That team is dangerous when healthy. Some seniors were playing their hearts out that game. Just so happens that the Crestview seniors in Etzler (first overtime) and Kline (second overtime) refused to lose the game.
Old 03-11-19, 08:54 AM
All World

Quote:
Lol. A MSML fan coming on to bash a Crestview win? Come on. Kalida played their hearts out. They hit five contested threes in a row in the last three minutes of the game. Hats off to them. They also were a five loss team that was ranked in the top 150 in the state of Ohio and had kids that could match up size for size (better than most) with Crestview. Enjoy the ride the rest of the way. Your boys Mescher (last year) and Bruns (last and this year) carried some great teams through some great games. Now its time to give credit where credit is due.

As for Crestview, on to Hicksville. A top 100 ranked team in Ohio.
Where did I bash Kalida or Crestview? Get a grip. Kalida has talent but very talented, I don't think so. My description of very talented would be several all state players. Just because Crestview def. them by one pt. doesn't make them something their not, a good team yes but not very talented.
Old 03-11-19, 10:10 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Where did I bash Kalida or Crestview? Get a grip. Kalida has talent but very talented, I don't think so. My description of very talented would be several all state players. Just because Crestview def. them by one pt. doesn't make them something their not, a good team yes but not very talented.
Non biased fan of both but you are really wrong on this. Like really wrong.
Old 03-11-19, 10:22 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Non biased fan of both but you are really wrong on this. Like really wrong.
That is your opinion. I have a different definition of very talented than you have.
Old 03-12-19, 08:47 AM
All Region

Quote:
Number 8 in Max Preps final power rankings. And I cannot find it right now, but top 15 from PrepHoops from what I recall. 20-6 overall with four losses coming in OT or Double OT. Their only regulation losses were to Crestview and Archbold in regular season.

Since we are putting up measuring sticks, I was there to watch Crestview play Marion Local, St Henry, and Coldwater over the summer. Minster over the summer and at the Flyin to the Hoops.

I would put Kalida above all of them outside of St Henry who I would say has a great cast along with Niekamp who is a special talent.

And by the way. Crestview won by 3 and not 1....and Crestview by all rights and means should have lost if Kalida's coach fouls when up by three at the end of the first OT.

Of all people, a Marion Local person should know "All State" doesn't mean anything. Voters don't know what All State really is.....it just sounds like you trying to stick to your guns when you are dead wrong.