Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-01-19, 02:30 PM
All Region

cknights is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wf2112 View Post
As far as Canton goes. Richmond Heights I think is the big favorite. Struthers district is weak, so no one is a threat coming from there.
Thanks. Don't know much about them but they are highly rated in some of the power rankings I have seen. Looking to do some research on them as their record and reputation seems to be very formidable.
Old 03-01-19, 03:40 PM
Varsity

D1nwobb is on a distinguished road
They're 16-6 with losses to Gahanna Lincoln, Lorain (by 32), Cleveland Benedictine, Toledo Whitmer (by 19), Shaker Heights, and Cleveland Hts Lutheran East. Playing Cornerstone Christian tonight.
Old 03-01-19, 04:22 PM
Freshman

HS_Ball is on a distinguished road
I watched the FL vs Tiger game tv also. (I wanted to see the court) Tigers lost to FL by 7 and had it within 2 or 3 in the fourth after a terrible first half. Assuming the Tigers get there(will not be easy) Hiland will have to play them in district final. Hard to beat a team 3 times. Especially hard on neutral court. Still cant figure out how Strasburg beat Massillon. I did not see the game but its still a head scratcher. Tiger D looks tough by just watching scores.
Old 03-01-19, 05:12 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wf2112 View Post
As far as Canton goes. Richmond Heights I think is the big favorite. Struthers district is weak, so no one is a threat coming from there.
You can say the same about Orwell as well, the top contenders are on same tier as Struthers district. I’d be really surprised to not see the Willard Champion vs Norton champion for a trip to Columbus.
Old 03-04-19, 11:24 AM
Varsity

Porsche is on a distinguished road
The best two teams left in the tournament are
Convoy Crestview and St Henry.

Crestview is top notch and even better than St Henry.

Crestview goes as far as the Etzler brothers go. Problem is you have to stop two of them. Either brother is capable to carry the team and can drop 30. But these are 16-18 year old kids so expect the unexpected is how i see it.
Old 03-04-19, 11:32 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1nwobb View Post
They're 16-6 with losses to Gahanna Lincoln, Lorain (by 32), Cleveland Benedictine, Toledo Whitmer (by 19), Shaker Heights, and Cleveland Hts Lutheran East. Playing Cornerstone Christian tonight.
Wow, didn't know much about Richmond Heights, just looked at their schedule....it's brutal, easily the toughest schedule of any D4 team in the state I would think. Started 1-3 with losses to Lincoln, Lorain and Benedictine. 1 point loss to Shaker and a 7 point loss late to Lutheran East. The rest of their schedule isn't nearly as tough, but still very solid for a D4. Gotta think they are the favorite out of Canton at this point
Old 03-05-19, 11:30 AM
All Region

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Crestview has an all state football QB running their PG who can handle all sorts of pressure and they have massive size inside and out. 6'7 and 6'8 almost 6'9 now. This would be a matchup nightmare for Berlin Hiland.
Yeah, that kind of size is always a problem for everyone in D IV. Hiland had it in 11-12 and cashed it in for 2 championships: 6-5 G, 6-8 G (11 only), 6-7 F, and 6-7 C. That size just gives a team so many advantages and options.

On the football player PG, I would say you need at least 2 great ball handlers and 3 would be better. It's not just about getting the ball up the floor, but being able to run the offense, esp entering the ball into the post.
Old 03-05-19, 11:49 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBig View Post
I watched Strasburg play against Fort Loramie on TV and Fort Loramie handled them, had leads of 13-15 almost the entire night.

Fort Loramie is very average this year, I believe they are 17-7, but I saw Hiland really struggled with Strasburg the last time they played. I don't even think FL is in the top 10 of the best teams left in D4 in SW part of the state.

If Hiland has problems with Strasburg, then they are going to have bigger problems with whoever wins the Kettering region.
Fan of the transitive property? Just kidding.

Gotta be careful with that line of thinking though. I say that as someone who has said, "I'll eat my hat if..." and I had to eat it. Lol.

There is a big difference in playing league opponents. They just know you better, the game-planning is better, the kids know each other, the coaches know each other, etc. It's just a different thing on any level, but esp HS.

Another thing is that HS kids have trouble sustaining a high level of play over the course of a season. A good HS team will have a peak stretch where they play as well as they will play all year, then a stretch where they win but aren't doing some things well, and then they will have a few poor performances. How much they lose depends on who they are playing and where they are at in that cycle. So, it's really hard to draw hard conclusions about how this team will play vs that team because of how they played against another team at a different point in the season.

I've seen teams peak at all points in the season. I saw one peak in the summer, struggle all season to get back, finally did in the tournament, and took 8 losses to the state championship game. Regardless of when a team peaks, they need to be at or near that level right now.

But a team has a huge advantage if they have size, talent, and great coaching to carry them through the cycle. Sounds like Crestview has those ingredients.

One final thing I've learned - once teams make it to state, some very, very strange things can happen there. Some teams don't shoot well, sometimes the magnitude of the stage causes kids and coaches to get out of their normal roles and choices, and a lot of fans leave scratching their heads. So, I've gotten in the habit of expecting the strange and unexpected and enjoying seeing what happens. Making bold declarations and predictions and then relying on a bunch of teenagers to back them up hasn't worked out too well for me.
Old 03-05-19, 12:10 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCguy View Post
Fan of the transitive property? Just kidding.

Gotta be careful with that line of thinking though. I say that as someone who has said, "I'll eat my hat if..." and I had to eat it. Lol.

There is a big difference in playing league opponents. They just know you better, the game-planning is better, the kids know each other, the coaches know each other, etc. It's just a different thing on any level, but esp HS.

Another thing is that HS kids have trouble sustaining a high level of play over the course of a season. A good HS team will have a peak stretch where they play as well as they will play all year, then a stretch where they win but aren't doing some things well, and then they will have a few poor performances. How much they lose depends on who they are playing and where they are at in that cycle. So, it's really hard to draw hard conclusions about how this team will play vs that team because of how they played against another team at a different point in the season.

I've seen teams peak at all points in the season. I saw one peak in the summer, struggle all season to get back, finally did in the tournament, and took 8 losses to the state championship game. Regardless of when a team peaks, they need to be at or near that level right now.

But a team has a huge advantage if they have size, talent, and great coaching to carry them through the cycle. Sounds like Crestview has those ingredients.

One final thing I've learned - once teams make it to state, some very, very strange things can happen there. Some teams don't shoot well, sometimes the magnitude of the stage causes kids and coaches to get out of their normal roles and choices, and a lot of fans leave scratching their heads. So, I've gotten in the habit of expecting the strange and unexpected and enjoying seeing what happens. Making bold declarations and predictions and then relying on a bunch of teenagers to back them up hasn't worked out too well for me.
Fort Loramie is in the District finals at Dayton, so at this point they are down to the Top 8 in the SW District. Wouldn't be suprised to see them knock off Fairfield Christian and make it to the Regionals. I watched the game against Strasburg.....keep in mind it was at the Hooisers gym, which is about 62' long and 40' wide. It took both teams quite a while to adjust to it. The teams were pretty evenly matched...it's hard to tell what would have happened on a real court.
Old 03-05-19, 12:41 PM
All American

The Dock is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
Fort Loramie is in the District finals at Dayton, so at this point they are down to the Top 8 in the SW District. Wouldn't be suprised to see them knock off Fairfield Christian and make it to the Regionals. I watched the game against Strasburg.....keep in mind it was at the Hooisers gym, which is about 62' long and 40' wide. It took both teams quite a while to adjust to it. The teams were pretty evenly matched...it's hard to tell what would have happened on a real court.
???

Are you referring to Cinncinati Christian, which, misnomers aside, is in Fairfield and not Fairfield Christian of Lancaster?
Old 03-05-19, 12:49 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
???

Are you referring to Cinncinati Christian, which, misnomers aside, is in Fairfield and not Fairfield Christian of Lancaster?
Yes, OHSAA site says Fairfield Cin Christian.....I missed the Cin when I read it I guess
Old 03-05-19, 03:14 PM
All Region

Quote:
FL would see to be a little better than "very average".
Old 03-05-19, 03:40 PM
All Region

Quote:
Yeah, that kind of size is always a problem for everyone in D IV. Hiland had it in 11-12 and cashed it in for 2 championships: 6-5 G, 6-8 G (11 only), 6-7 F, and 6-7 C. That size just gives a team so many advantages and options.

On the football player PG, I would say you need at least 2 great ball handlers and 3 would be better. It's not just about getting the ball up the floor, but being able to run the offense, esp entering the ball into the post.
Crestview has five guys that can take it up the floor. They prefer their PG who is a four year starter, but have a shooting guard that is a four year letterman and three other D1 athletes. Both Etzler boys will probably play small forwards or shooting guards at their respective schools with 6'7 and 6'8 plus height.

Their current PG (Kline) is on the all time assists list for Crestview and has a ton of them this year so will go down as one of the best assist men they have had.

That said, Crestview will face a great test tonight in DSJ. They play extremely hard from buzzer to buzzer and were in the running with St Henry, Marion Local, etc. for the MAC crown this year. Looking forward to it. Hitting the road soon.
Old 03-06-19, 09:40 AM
All Region

Checking in on some of last night's scores. It looks like Berlin Hiland struggled with Rosecrans. Any possibility that they get knocked off Friday night by Strasburg?

Of course, there is always opportunity, it just seems odd that they only won by 9, considering they are #1 in the state.

On another note, I watched Kalida play last night. My Crestview Knights will have their hands full Friday. I will predict a Knights win, but Kalida is no joke. They could make a very deep run if they get past Crestview on Friday.
Old 03-06-19, 10:14 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cknights View Post
Checking in on some of last night's scores. It looks like Berlin Hiland struggled with Rosecrans. Any possibility that they get knocked off Friday night by Strasburg?

Of course, there is always opportunity, it just seems odd that they only won by 9, considering they are #1 in the state.

On another note, I watched Kalida play last night. My Crestview Knights will have their hands full Friday. I will predict a Knights win, but Kalida is no joke. They could make a very deep run if they get past Crestview on Friday.
Rosecrans ended their season 21-4.....2 losses to Harvest Prep, 1 to Wellington and last night to Hiland. Nothing surprising about a close game vs Rosecrans. Year in and year out, they are one of the Top D4 teams in Central Ohio
Old 03-06-19, 11:28 AM
All Region

Quote:
Rosecrans ended their season 21-4.....2 losses to Harvest Prep, 1 to Wellington and last night to Hiland. Nothing surprising about a close game vs Rosecrans. Year in and year out, they are one of the Top D4 teams in Central Ohio
Sure. Thats a good record. Harvest Prep is a good team and while the Wellington loss is nothing short of a bad loss, every team has an off night now and then. I had seen some banter of Strasburg and was wondering if there was a legit chance that this is the end for Berlin Hiland.

As I said before, every team is at risk to lose. In fact, if Strasburg is the real deal, there is a strong potential that at least one or more of the top three teams in the state lose this Friday. St. Henry has Marion Local, Crestview and Kalida as mentioned earlier, and Berlin Hiland plays Strasburg. Looks like it'll be a good Friday night of ball to watch and scoreboards to pay attention to.
Old 03-06-19, 11:59 AM
All American

Quote:
Yup. Rosecrans was a very good team and should have been the 2 or 3 in the East District D4. It is a shame there are so few teams in D4 for the East District, thus forcing only one district bracket, because Rosecrans would’ve been a worthy team in the Sweet 16.
Old 03-06-19, 07:41 PM
All Region

Quote:

You funny. Lol.

Yes, Sburg can beat them. This will be the 3rd meeting. Hiland will probably have to help them but the Tiger's style of play keeps them within 10 of almost everyone. If they have a 1 point lead with 3 min left they will put the game in the freezer and make you foul.

They won by 9. They went 0-10 from 3 and, remarkably, gave up TWO 4 point plays within a few minutes of each other. I don't think I have ever seen that. Ifs and buts and all that, but if Hiland hits 2-10 and doesn't give up those two 4 pointers, they win by 23. 4 plays was the difference between a 9 or 24 point margin. Such is basketball. Must drive coaches nuts. You can lose games like that. But Hiland controlled that game from start to finish. Rosey made a run living by the 3, but then they died by it.

Hiland is an elite defensive team. If they get beat it will be by a team that can score enough and/or Hiland's limitations on offense does them in.
Old 03-07-19, 09:45 AM
All Region

Quote:
You funny. Lol.

Yes, Sburg can beat them. This will be the 3rd meeting. Hiland will probably have to help them but the Tiger's style of play keeps them within 10 of almost everyone. If they have a 1 point lead with 3 min left they will put the game in the freezer and make you foul.

They won by 9. They went 0-10 from 3 and, remarkably, gave up TWO 4 point plays within a few minutes of each other. I don't think I have ever seen that. Ifs and buts and all that, but if Hiland hits 2-10 and doesn't give up those two 4 pointers, they win by 23. 4 plays was the difference between a 9 or 24 point margin. Such is basketball. Must drive coaches nuts. You can lose games like that. But Hiland controlled that game from start to finish. Rosey made a run living by the 3, but then they died by it.

Hiland is an elite defensive team. If they get beat it will be by a team that can score enough and/or Hiland's limitations on offense does them in.
Certainly wasn't trying to be funny.

I see Rosecrans who had a very good record against a very mediocre schedule with a very bad loss played Hiland very tough. I'm trying to get a feel for how good these teams are.

You are correct about the "ifs and buts". It seems to me that Hiland didn't capitalize on the ifs and buts and Rosecrans did. Which is a very scary thought if you are a Hiland fan.

That said, I guess the bottom line is that I see a stacked BG and Kettering Regional. Trying to get a feel for the Canton and Athens Regionals and if there are more than one or two teams rolling through these brackets.
Old 03-07-19, 10:10 AM
All American

Quote:

I see Rosecrans who had a very good record against a very mediocre schedule with a very bad loss played Hiland very tough. I'm trying to get a feel for how good these teams are.

You are correct about the "ifs and buts". It seems to me that Hiland didn't capitalize on the ifs and buts and Rosecrans did. Which is a very scary thought if you are a Hiland fan.

That said, I guess the bottom line is that I see a stacked BG and Kettering Regional. Trying to get a feel for the Canton and Athens Regionals and if there are more than one or two teams rolling through these brackets.
Here we go again... someone from NW Ohio putting down a team they never seen play and their schedule full of teams they have also not seen.

They finished eighth in the poll, and probably should’ve been higher than Toronto and Bristol. Not saying that the poll is perfect, and yeah Richmond Heights and MSML should’ve been ranked higher, but they deserved their ranking on the basis of both how good a team they are and their quality wins: they have a win over a good Wellington squad and they have two wins over who is going to win the Central D4. Not saying the Central D4 was deep, but the top two there are good teams and whoever wins that has a very good chance to make regional finals in Athens (where Hiland will await.) They have little control over who is willing to play them non-league: Zanesville no longer wants to play them and so few schools in East D4 wanted to play them. I believe most of their schedule is D2/D3, in fact. They shouldn’t get slighted or discounted at all for what they can’t control, especially by someone who has no idea what they’re talking about!
Old 03-07-19, 10:44 AM
All Region

Quote:
Here we go again... someone from NW Ohio putting down a team they never seen play and their schedule full of teams they have also not seen.

They finished eighth in the poll, and probably should’ve been higher than Toronto and Bristol. Not saying that the poll is perfect, and yeah Richmond Heights and MSML should’ve been ranked higher, but they deserved their ranking on the basis of both how good a team they are and their quality wins: they have a win over a good Wellington squad and they have two wins over who is going to win the Central D4. Not saying the Central D4 was deep, but the top two there are good teams and whoever wins that has a very good chance to make regional finals in Athens (where Hiland will await.) They have little control over who is willing to play them non-league: Zanesville no longer wants to play them and so few schools in East D4 wanted to play them. I believe most of their schedule is D2/D3, in fact. They shouldn’t get slighted or discounted at all for what they can’t control, especially by someone who has no idea what they’re talking about!
Here we go again? Rosecrans lost to Wellington who is ranked 324th in the state by Maxpreps. Now, look at the rankings of some of their other opponents.

Millersport: 780
Liberty Christian: 806
Fisher Catholic: 381
Grove City: 708
Lakewood: 438
Bern Union: 400

I was being kind by saying mediocre. Let's face it. By state rankings, its just a terrible schedule. Maybe do a little research before you tell someone they are clueless. There's 800 and some odd teams in Ohio. Rosecrans schedule holds teams in the upper 700s and lower 800s which is bottom of the barrel scrubs.
Old 03-07-19, 10:59 AM
All American

If MaxPreps is such the authority, then why is their #1 team in Division IV a school that does not exist?
Old 03-07-19, 11:14 AM
Freshman

bigboy97 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Willard
1. Crawford Vs 2. South Central

Winner plays

Struthers
1. New Middleton Springfield vs 3. Lowellville

Norton
1. Richmond Heights vs 3. Elyria Open Door

Plays winner of

Orwell
1. Kinsman Badger vs 2. Bristolville Bristol

Richmond Heights has at least 1 D1 player and have heard a couple others might be as well.
Old 03-07-19, 11:16 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboy97 View Post
Willard
1. Crawford Vs 2. South Central

Winner plays

Struthers
1. New Middleton Springfield vs 3. Lowellville

Norton
1. Richmond Heights vs 3. Elyria Open Door

Plays winner of

Orwell
1. Kinsman Badger vs 2. Bristolville Bristol

Richmond Heights has at least 1 D1 player and have heard a couple others might be as well.
Thanks. So you are big on Richmond Heights. I think I stated this before. They are rumored to be extremely good.

Anyone out of that Regional that could challenge them?
Old 03-07-19, 11:19 AM
All Region

Quote:
If MaxPreps is such the authority, then why is their #1 team in Division IV a school that does not exist?
If you have a better rankings site, please advise. I think Hiland, St Henry, MSML, Crestview, Kalida, Hicksville, Strasburg, etc. are all still in the final 32, which means they do a pretty darn good job. Minster lost a close one to St. Henry. Two great MAC schools. Crestview seen Minster earlier this season and I would put them at the top of many lists of great schools. I would say that Maxpreps is pretty darn accurate.
Old 03-07-19, 11:34 AM
All American

Quote:
Here we go again? Rosecrans lost to Wellington who is ranked 324th in the state by Maxpreps. Now, look at the rankings of some of their other opponents.

Millersport: 780
Liberty Christian: 806
Fisher Catholic: 381
Grove City: 708
Lakewood: 438
Bern Union: 400

I was being kind by saying mediocre. Let's face it. By state rankings, its just a terrible schedule. Maybe do a little research before you tell someone they are clueless. There's 800 and some odd teams in Ohio. Rosecrans schedule holds teams in the upper 700s and lower 800s which is bottom of the barrel scrubs.
Uh....

Ft Jennings......758
New Knoxville.....774
Ada......714
Jefferson.....663
Spencerville.....633
Allen East.....636

......just sayin
Old 03-07-19, 11:42 AM
All Region

Quote:
Uh....

Ft Jennings......758
New Knoxville.....774
Ada......714
Jefferson.....663
Spencerville.....633
Allen East.....636

......just sayin
cherry picking?

St Johns: 194
Kalida: 150
Hicksville: 105
Grove: 180
Wayne Trace: 153
LCC: 253
Minster: 125
Old 03-07-19, 11:51 AM
All American

Quote:
cherry picking?

St Johns: 194
Kalida: 150
Hicksville: 105
Grove: 180
Wayne Trace: 153
LCC: 253

No different than you picking the bottom feeders on your earlier post lol. You conveniently left off

Harvest Prep 39 (twice) and Hiland 53

You ask for help and info on teams....and when anyone has given you any, you've shot it down lol. I guess you'll just have to wait until you see them yourself in Columbus to tell how good they really are.....nothing anyone tries to tell you seems to matter. I'm done
Old 03-07-19, 12:46 PM
All Region

Quote:
No different than you picking the bottom feeders on your earlier post lol. You conveniently left off

Harvest Prep 39 (twice) and Hiland 53

You ask for help and info on teams....and when anyone has given you any, you've shot it down lol. I guess you'll just have to wait until you see them yourself in Columbus to tell how good they really are.....nothing anyone tries to tell you seems to matter. I'm done
No. We already discussed HP and Hiland. And if you read, I gave them much respect.

I asked if any teams were even capable of giving Hiland or Richmond Heights a run. I didn't find the 9 point win very impressive when researching schedules. As you can see, the Kettering and BG regionals are loaded. I am not hearing a ton of favor for anyone other than these two teams. Maybe try reading?

TCGo, you love to ride Crestview. You get beat by them in your younger days or just don't like them? Regardless, good luck tonight vs Bluffton. Your run probably stops tonight or Saturday night with Archbold. A couple of early outs for some great OG teams as of late.
Old 03-07-19, 01:28 PM
All District

Basement Bias is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
No. We already discussed HP and Hiland. And if you read, I gave them much respect.

I asked if any teams were even capable of giving Hiland or Richmond Heights a run. I didn't find the 9 point win very impressive when researching schedules. As you can see, the Kettering and BG regionals are loaded. I am not hearing a ton of favor for anyone other than these two teams. Maybe try reading?

TCGo, you love to ride Crestview. You get beat by them in your younger days or just don't like them? Regardless, good luck tonight vs Bluffton. Your run probably stops tonight or Saturday night with Archbold. A couple of early outs for some great OG teams as of late.
Sidenote: How will the addition of wrestling be handled for gym time? This is a question I have as I'd like to see the wrestling program thrive. Do you see this as a threat to basketball success? Can both be successful? Just curious as to your thoughts.