Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-18-19, 04:46 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Final Division IV Basketball Poll (AP)

1. Berlin Hiland (17) 21-1 178
2. Convoy Crestview (1) 20-1 153
3. St. Henry (1) 18-3 120
4. Toronto 18-2 92
5. Sycamore Mohawk 19-1 91
6. Bristol 17-3 72
7. Springfield Catholic Central 18-3 70
8. Zanesville Rosecrans 18-3 62
9. Glouster Trimble 16-3 54
10. Xenia Legacy Christian Academy 19-3 36

Others receiving 12 points or more: Greenwich S. Cent. 26. Richmond Hts. (1) 18. Xenia Legacy Christian Academy 14. Maria Stein Marion Local 12.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-19, 06:26 PM
Junior Varsity

Cedar_Point is on a distinguished road
Why’s the same school on here twice?
Old 02-18-19, 06:27 PM
Varsity

Porsche is on a distinguished road
I would flip #1 and #2.

Crestview is best team to me.
Saw some twitter videos over weekend....and Kalen Etzler had a stretch of 3 straight monster dunks in 35 seconds against New Knoxville.

no one is doing that in D4.
Old 02-19-19, 09:49 AM
All Region

cknights is on a distinguished road
I was there to witness. I can tell you without a doubt that three dunks in that amount of time was something many are saying is a feat they have never witnessed in High School, let alone in D4 high school. While it still only equates to six points, it shows the explosiveness of this Crestview team.

All of that being said, I believe that St. Henry, Minster, and Marion Local will bring it in the tourney. Whoever comes out of that District has a great shot at state and will be a tough out for anyone, including Crestview. However, Crestview still has the most explosive team in the state. I would be hard pressed finding too many flaws in their game.
Old 02-19-19, 10:38 AM
All Ohio

Smalls is on a distinguished road
There are a lot of explosive players and teams out there. I would rather see the team I
follow (Cardinal Stritch) play big athletic teams than the grind it out fundamentally sound defensive teams.

Stritch has 4 guys who have combined for 25+ dunks, but have lost to two very defensive sound D4 teams.

I know Stritch is D3, but if they can do this I am sure there are others at the D3/D4 level who can do it too.

Little Anderson and Ashton Caryer 5 dunks in 6 possessions

http://www.hudl.com/v/2B4beM
Old 02-19-19, 10:57 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
There are a lot of explosive players and teams out there. I would rather see the team I
follow (Cardinal Stritch) play big athletic teams than the grind it out fundamentally sound defensive teams.

Stritch has 4 guys who have combined for 25+ dunks, but have lost to two very defensive sound D4 teams.

I know Stritch is D3, but if they can do this I am sure there are others at the D3/D4 level who can do it too.

Little Anderson and Ashton Caryer 5 dunks in 6 possessions

http://www.hudl.com/v/2B4beM
Crestview's defense gives up 39 and change per game. Explosive and suffocating defense.

And neat video. Not sure #2 or #3 qualify as dunks but truly impressive. I'm sure you can search Twitter or Facebook for Kalen Etzler and see what that looked like.
Old 02-19-19, 11:02 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cknights View Post
Crestview's defense gives up 39 and change per game. Explosive and suffocating defense.
Not questioning their talent. I have seen the film and it is impressive. They are my pick to win it all, but the more talented team doesn't always win when dealing with 14-18 year old kids and no shot clock.

Foul trouble, off shooting night ect.
Old 02-19-19, 11:11 AM
All Region

Quote:
Not questioning their talent. I have seen the film and it is impressive. They are my pick to win it all, but the more talented team doesn't always win when dealing with 14-18 year old kids and no shot clock.

Foul trouble, off shooting night ect.
No doubt. That's why I hedged my bet with saying the MAC district could produce a state winner. Also, Crestview lost one early with football legs and an off shooting night. Anything can happen. St Johns, Wayne Trace, Kalida, LCC, etc. could be very scary early games for Crestview.

But, as far as pure talent goes, this team probably has the best starting lineup in the state. Three D1 athletes (two in basketball). Two four year lettermen who have also garnered all state awards in other sports.
Old 02-19-19, 11:11 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
And neat video. Not sure #2 or #3 qualify as dunks but truly impressive. I'm sure you can search Twitter or Facebook for Kalen Etzler and see what that looked like.
That rim is jacked up and doesn't break away.....will only break your wrist.

I think #3 is the most impressive dunk - coming from a 6'2"-6'3" kid in traffic from a stand still.
Old 02-19-19, 11:14 AM
All Region

Quote:
That rim is jacked up and doesn't break away.....will only break your wrist.

I think #3 is the most impressive dunk - coming from a 6'2"-6'3" kid in traffic from a stand still.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1096995348214697984

A little taste I guess of what Porsche and I were speaking of as being impressive. Starts off with a three. He's a 6'8 sophomore.
Old 02-19-19, 11:19 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1096995348214697984

A little taste I guess of what Porsche and I were speaking of as being impressive. Starts off with a three. He's a 6'8 sophomore.
Nice.

I like #5's celebration at the end lol.
Old 02-19-19, 11:23 AM
All Region

Quote:
Nice.

I like #5's celebration at the end lol.
Lol. that's his big brother. Had the block that led out to the first dunk. Had the assist on the second dunk. Big Bro is going to Miami on a basketball scholarship.
Old 02-19-19, 02:15 PM
All Region

https://twitter.com/PrepHoopsOH

http://www.maxpreps.com/rankings/bas...ivision-iv.htm

Prephoops and MaxPreps power rankings
Old 02-21-19, 10:18 PM
Varsity

I think Convoy Crestview is the best team in D4.
I honestly don't think the MAC teams are even close to Crestview.

However, the MAC teams know how to win and can beat anyone in D4 on any given night. On pure talent...its a no brainer. Crestview all damn day. But talent and shot selection doesn't always win games....and I think Crestview has a tendency to take bad shots and wastes possessions. If those shots fall...dear Lord. They can be scary good. I think Crestview needs good shot selection and discipline as the stakes get higher.

I hate to see teams who are loaded just not get it done. I think the undefeated Convoy Crestview team in 2014 was one of the best D4 teams ever. They were arguably based on scoring, margin of victory, and they went 29-0. That team took good shots. So disciplined.
Old 02-22-19, 09:22 AM
Junior Varsity

Lightning2 is on a distinguished road
Not much talk of the one team Berlin Hiland. I think they have some issues but their defense will give people fits, even the explosive ones. They have shooters and a very good guard. Not a dominating post guy but have 2 that do the job inside. Not sure they will win it all but they will definitely be there in the end to have a say.
Old 02-22-19, 11:59 AM
All American

The Dock is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning2 View Post
Not much talk of the one team Berlin Hiland. I think they have some issues but their defense will give people fits, even the explosive ones. They have shooters and a very good guard. Not a dominating post guy but have 2 that do the job inside. Not sure they will win it all but they will definitely be there in the end to have a say.
Iíll be paying very close attention to Hiland this year. They have a road to the state title game that is way tougher than what meets the eye. Bishop Rosecrans in district semi-finals? Potentially Lancaster Fisher Cath. in the elite 8?

Hiland is obviously very good. But, I do think they have a very tough road to the Schott - possibly even harder than most.
Old 02-22-19, 04:00 PM
All Region

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning2 View Post
I agree with your assessment of Hiland. The AP poll is usually a pile of do-do. A lot of it has to do with name recognition, known coaches, and past accomplishment. Hiland scores high on all 3, so I think voters look at their record and go with it.

I actually thought they would struggle somewhat this year, but they came together to become a "sum greater than the individual parts" group.

You are correct about the defense. They are elite on that end of the floor. Their guards apply incredible on the ball pressure and their smallish bigs play bigger than they are. They use depth as weapon, playing 10 or so. They never let up. Teams that play 7-8 tend to fade late. They are also very fundamentally sound, so you have to beat them because they won't help you out much. I also agree that they are just above average as an offensive team.

The team that beats them will need the guards to deal with the pressure and two actual bigs, say in the 6-5+ range, would give them major match up problems.
Old 02-22-19, 04:08 PM
All Region

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
Iíll be paying very close attention to Hiland this year. They have a road to the state title game that is way tougher than what meets the eye. Bishop Rosecrans in district semi-finals? Potentially Lancaster Fisher Cath. in the elite 8?

Hiland is obviously very good. But, I do think they have a very tough road to the Schott - possibly even harder than most.
They will also probably see Strasburg in the district. They beat them twice but Strasburg makes every game excruciating - tough defense combined with deliberate offense that attempts to keep the game in the 30s to low 40s. If they have the game tied or any kind of a lead in the 4th qtr, the air comes out of the ball, and the pressure ramps up on their opponent - and they can beat you.

That style doesn't tend to win state championships, but in a one game scenario, they are a dangerous team.
Old 02-22-19, 10:44 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCguy View Post
I agree with your assessment of Hiland. The AP poll is usually a pile of do-do. A lot of it has to do with name recognition, known coaches, and past accomplishment. Hiland scores high on all 3, so I think voters look at their record and go with it.

I actually thought they would struggle somewhat this year, but they came together to become a "sum greater than the individual parts" group.

You are correct about the defense. They are elite on that end of the floor. Their guards apply incredible on the ball pressure and their smallish bigs play bigger than they are. They use depth as weapon, playing 10 or so. They never let up. Teams that play 7-8 tend to fade late. They are also very fundamentally sound, so you have to beat them because they won't help you out much. I also agree that they are just above average as an offensive team.

The team that beats them will need the guards to deal with the pressure and two actual bigs, say in the 6-5+ range, would give them major match up problems.

Crestview has an all state football QB running their PG who can handle all sorts of pressure and they have massive size inside and out. 6'7 and 6'8 almost 6'9 now. This would be a matchup nightmare for Berlin Hiland.
Old 02-28-19, 11:40 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Crestview has an all state football QB running their PG who can handle all sorts of pressure and they have massive size inside and out. 6'7 and 6'8 almost 6'9 now. This would be a matchup nightmare for Berlin Hiland.
By all rights and means, I would say that from what I have seen, the closest matchup Crestview has and will have with similarities to Hiland would be Kalida. While Crestview won with some ease against Kalida at home, earlier in the year, Kalida has back their leading scorer and plays the most sound basketball that I have seen all season. Defensively, they don't make mistakes. Offensively, they move the ball extremely well and put great shooters on the floor. Both Kalida and Crestview have a tough road to get there, but if they do, their district finals in Elida will be a defensive battle.

All of that said. Yes. Crestview is a matchup nightmare for most any D4 school. Hound away on Kline and Dealey while they handle the ball. They will do the same back. I've seen teams try to go 1-2-2, box in 2, box in 1, man, 2-3, etc. There just isnt a real defense that can defend a 6'7 kid that can roll opposite his body and shoot a 23 footer. If you try to shut down the Etzlers, then Sheets will have a field day and put up 20 with ease.

Logistically speaking, Crestview is probably the favorites to make it out of BG. But, they have a ton of talented teams in front of them before state semis, so if they don't get it done, then that's just the way it goes. However, a betting person would have Crestview and St Henry meeting up to see who wants a shot at Hiland in the state finals.
Old 02-28-19, 11:56 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
By all rights and means, I would say that from what I have seen, the closest matchup Crestview has and will have with similarities to Hiland would be Kalida. While Crestview won with some ease against Kalida at home, earlier in the year, Kalida has back their leading scorer and plays the most sound basketball that I have seen all season. Defensively, they don't make mistakes. Offensively, they move the ball extremely well and put great shooters on the floor. Both Kalida and Crestview have a tough road to get there, but if they do, their district finals in Elida will be a defensive battle.

All of that said. Yes. Crestview is a matchup nightmare for most any D4 school. Hound away on Kline and Dealey while they handle the ball. They will do the same back. I've seen teams try to go 1-2-2, box in 2, box in 1, man, 2-3, etc. There just isnt a real defense that can defend a 6'7 kid that can roll opposite his body and shoot a 23 footer. If you try to shut down the Etzlers, then Sheets will have a field day and put up 20 with ease.

Logistically speaking, Crestview is probably the favorites to make it out of BG. But, they have a ton of talented teams in front of them before state semis, so if they don't get it done, then that's just the way it goes. However, a betting person would have Crestview and St Henry meeting up to see who wants a shot at Hiland in the state finals.
Kettering regional plays Athens regional in the semi's. There won't be the possibility of a St Henry - Crestview matchup unless it happens in the finals.
Old 02-28-19, 01:08 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
Kettering regional plays Athens regional in the semi's. There won't be the possibility of a St Henry - Crestview matchup unless it happens in the finals.
Good catch. So who is the favorite coming out of Canton? Richmond Heights? New Middletown Springfield? Curious if anyone from that side of the state or with knowledge of the teams has an idea on the favorite or a few favorites to make it through.
Old 02-28-19, 01:28 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Good catch. So who is the favorite coming out of Canton? Richmond Heights? New Middletown Springfield? Curious if anyone from that side of the state or with knowledge of the teams has an idea on the favorite or a few favorites to make it through.
I wouldn't count out Margaretta from the Willard District...they have as good a chance as anyone to advance out of Canton. They finished 16-6, played 3 D4 teams all season, played 10 games against D2's....and went 6-4 in those games
Old 02-28-19, 01:34 PM
All District

RollingTrain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post

Really? I was thinking just the opposite. I thought they have the easiest route. Fisher Catholic doesn't seem to be anything special.

The Wapakoneta District with what probably turns out to be St. Henry, Marion Local and Minster will be better than most regional sites.
Old 02-28-19, 01:47 PM
All Ohio

Just by looking at scores it would appear that what sets Crestview apart is the defensive end of the floor.

They average 59 ppg while giving up 38 ppg.

Do they try and slow the game down? With the talent I see on tape I expected them to be scoring high 60's, low 70's vs a whole lot of over matched teams.......unless of course they are trying to slow tempo.
Old 02-28-19, 02:03 PM
All World

3out2in is on a distinguished road
So Legacy Christian got knocked out already. The team so nice, they ranked them twice.
Old 02-28-19, 03:16 PM
All Region

Quote:
Just by looking at scores it would appear that what sets Crestview apart is the defensive end of the floor.

They average 59 ppg while giving up 38 ppg.

Do they try and slow the game down? With the talent I see on tape I expected them to be scoring high 60's, low 70's vs a whole lot of over matched teams.......unless of course they are trying to slow tempo.
Could be answered in multiple ways. But to put it simple....first, teams will move the ball for 1-2 minutes at a time looking for open shots. Crestview is extremely long. That slows the game down. Second, there has been very few games that Crestview has played its starters more than 2 minutes into the fourth quarter. Our coach doesn't run the score up. Third, teams have played gimmick defenses all year on Crestview. Just to try to stop the scoring. Once Crestview figures it out, they run away with the game and there's not really a point. Crestview can drop 70 on any given night. When we go into the 3/4 court press and push tempo, its high flying and exciting. But, 59 is what we will roll with as long as we are winning. And many of the underclassmen are getting much needed experience after graduating five or so seniors last year and another seven or so on this year's team.
Old 03-01-19, 09:35 AM
All Region

wf2112 is on a distinguished road
As far as Canton goes. Richmond Heights I think is the big favorite. Struthers district is weak, so no one is a threat coming from there.
Old 03-01-19, 10:32 AM
Freshman

LetsGoBig is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCguy View Post
They will also probably see Strasburg in the district. They beat them twice but Strasburg makes every game excruciating - tough defense combined with deliberate offense that attempts to keep the game in the 30s to low 40s. If they have the game tied or any kind of a lead in the 4th qtr, the air comes out of the ball, and the pressure ramps up on their opponent - and they can beat you.

That style doesn't tend to win state championships, but in a one game scenario, they are a dangerous team.
I watched Strasburg play against Fort Loramie on TV and Fort Loramie handled them, had leads of 13-15 almost the entire night.

Fort Loramie is very average this year, I believe they are 17-7, but I saw Hiland really struggled with Strasburg the last time they played. I don't even think FL is in the top 10 of the best teams left in D4 in SW part of the state.

If Hiland has problems with Strasburg, then they are going to have bigger problems with whoever wins the Kettering region.
Old 03-01-19, 02:29 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBig View Post
I watched Strasburg play against Fort Loramie on TV and Fort Loramie handled them, had leads of 13-15 almost the entire night.

Fort Loramie is very average this year, I believe they are 17-7, but I saw Hiland really struggled with Strasburg the last time they played. I don't even think FL is in the top 10 of the best teams left in D4 in SW part of the state.

If Hiland has problems with Strasburg, then they are going to have bigger problems with whoever wins the Kettering region.
Loramie is possibly slightly better than given credit for here, but probably not going to be as tough as whomever comes out of the Kettering Region for sure. St. Henry and Marion Local both beat Loramie in hard fought games and both have potential of coming out of the Wapak district and potentially the Kettering Regional. I think whomever comes out of that district is the front runner for state and will be a tough out for any team.