Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-27-19, 04:06 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
SPIRE Academy and other sports factories

I know that there are alot of traditionalists that enjoy the more pure level of HS sports but I think that we have entered a new phase of HS sports with the HS sports factories.

Playing for your community and becoming a legend that people talk about decades later has been replaced by "getting ready" for the next level. Too many kids are seeing their futures as basketball players as a job and are forgetting that they should be enjoying their HS years with their friends. It would be eye opening to see how many big time basketball players made the move to a basketball factory that never rose to the level that they thought they were destined for.

I understand that creating these all-star teams can be alot of fun but it is coming at the expense of a much larger system.

I would love to see us return to the golden age of HS sports but realize that this will come off as old man ranting about the good ole days.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-19, 05:18 PM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I know that there are alot of traditionalists that enjoy the more pure level of HS sports but I think that we have entered a new phase of HS sports with the HS sports factories.

Playing for your community and becoming a legend that people talk about decades later has been replaced by "getting ready" for the next level. Too many kids are seeing their futures as basketball players as a job and are forgetting that they should be enjoying their HS years with their friends. It would be eye opening to see how many big time basketball players made the move to a basketball factory that never rose to the level that they thought they were destined for.

I understand that creating these all-star teams can be alot of fun but it is coming at the expense of a much larger system.

I would love to see us return to the golden age of HS sports but realize that this will come off as old man ranting about the good ole days.
Alonzo Gaffney of VASJ and Micah Potter of Mentor come to mind.Although they are TBD at this time.Would love to see the old days of packed stands at Highschool venues.If Spire attempts this in football like I suggested on the Football forum.Look out.The shouting from the rooftops will begin from the first fanbase who's school suffers a loss of a star player to these factory setups
Old 01-27-19, 06:22 PM
All Region

scbuckeye99 is on a distinguished road
I find it only slightly humorous that there is "cause for concern" for these sports factories now they have hit football and basketball. Less we forget that there have been sports factories around for years now in the world of boys and girls tennis, swimming, gymnastics, golf, etc....

The sky is only falling when it comes to football and basketball.
Old 01-27-19, 07:14 PM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbuckeye99 View Post
I find it only slightly humorous that there is "cause for concern" for these sports factories now they have hit football and basketball. Less we forget that there have been sports factories around for years now in the world of boys and girls tennis, swimming, gymnastics, golf, etc....

Well , no disrespect to those other sports, but those do not garner the interest that football and basketball do.You are correct though about athlete factories occurring in those other sports.Most don't notice those sports at the highschool level.
Old 01-27-19, 07:47 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Because there's a bigger economic picture.

Successful grads become donors. No grad, no donor. You hit on even a single pro player with generous memories, you can fund an athletic/academic program.
Old 01-27-19, 08:32 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Those are all individual sports. Additionally, most of those sports have phenoms well before HS age. I suspect in those sports that there aren't as many high profile transfers to a sports academy the athlete's Senior year.
Old 01-27-19, 08:42 PM
All American

sehs
It might move to a model you see in other countries, where players with an actual shot at making a living off of the sport go to an academy and the schools can still have their sports with lesser talented teams. A big factor here in the USA that is not at play in other places is collegiate athletics. Seeing how it plays out with the NCAA and big and small time college athletics is the real indicator I think. No high school athletic association or school itself will really have the clout I believe.
Old 01-28-19, 12:19 AM
All World

serpico will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Playing for your community and becoming a legend that people talk about decades later has been replaced by "getting ready" for the next level.
Not really. Does it happen? Sure, but not nearly enough to say it Ďhas been replacedí.
Old 01-28-19, 06:59 AM
All Yappi

MCGal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
Quote:

The obvious answer is those are all individual sports so the impact is completely different.
Old 01-28-19, 07:03 AM
All Yappi

catscatscats is on a distinguished road
Itís funny these post only show up when the teams become dominant. Spire has been around for a while. Havenít seen all the complaints until the Ball show arrived
Old 01-28-19, 07:07 AM
Controller

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
I agree. We aren't there yet in Ohio.

Spire is a special case, since they are beyond the norm in the typical amateur rules area. An OHSAA school could not bring a professional player from Europe in to play basketball. And any chance at all he's taking classes?
Old 01-28-19, 07:17 AM
All Ohio

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
I get the point of this thread. The facts are that less than 0.1% of HS basketball players will even sniff the NBA, same goes with football and the NFL. Today's culture has become so driven on making it big time and specializing in 1 sport that the whole "big man on campus" idea and the days of the 3 sport athlete are dwindling. Kids would rather focus on football, basketball or baseball year round while trying to earn a scholarship than enjoy their HS years and play as many sports as possible. Odds are (whether you go to SPIRE, Ed's, Ignatius, Mentor, Moeller, or some D7 school in BFE), you probably aren't making it to the pros anyways. Coaches do nothing but hurt this narrative as well in many cases. There are a lot of 6'3" basketball players in this state playing below the rim that would make excellent football players, but coaches are putting NBA visions in these kids heads to make them play AAU all year round instead of playing football in the fall and maybe run track in the spring. As long as these coaches get their wins and can say they sent a kid or 2 to college, they don't care.
Old 01-28-19, 09:41 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
I'm asking because I have no idea.....how many of the guys on Spire's team are Ohio kids? Watts is a Detroit kid....and obviously Lamelo isn't an Ohio kid.

Ohio has lost kids a couple kids to Huntington Prep and even IMG over the years.....but it's not like there are dozens of kids leaving every year....and if Spire is going to recruit nationally, how many Ohio kids do you really think will give up being a star at their local HS to potentially play part time and spend some time on the bench on a team like Spire?
Old 01-28-19, 10:37 AM
All Ohio

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Most of the key guys from Spire are from Michigan actually (Watts, Jackson, Gardner, McCaskill). Ball is from Cali, Locket is from Minnesota, and they have a couple rotation guys that are from Europe actually. Hard to find info on some of the bench players.

Solid point though. How many Ohio kids would actually go to SPIRE? There are only 2 ESPN Top 100 kids from Ohio in the 2019 class and one goes to a prep school outside of the state (the other just transferred to Cleveland Hts this season from outside of the state). Seems like SPIRE is more interested in getting big name talent from other states. People should be more worried about their schools losing kids to Eds and Iggy instead of Spire.
Old 01-28-19, 11:00 AM
All District

Unlimited Potential is on a distinguished road
No local kid considered Spire because they just became something literally a few months ago. It would have never been considered a potential better situation. Going forward, they have a good sell to local kids. We will see what happens.
Old 01-28-19, 11:08 AM
All Ohio

COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
Our school (Louisville) in a pinch, due to a weather cancellation with Wadsworth, picked up a game against Spire on February 5th. Complete nonsense if you ask me. Our kids have no business playing a team of this caliber. Serves no purpose, other than, hey we played against LaMelo, losing by 40 was worth it...
Old 01-28-19, 12:25 PM
All American

Bo Kimble is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_XYZ&12345 View Post
Our school (Louisville) in a pinch, due to a weather cancellation with Wadsworth, picked up a game against Spire on February 5th. Complete nonsense if you ask me. Our kids have no business playing a team of this caliber. Serves no purpose, other than, hey we played against LaMelo, losing by 40 was worth it...
probably be more like 60
Old 01-29-19, 11:21 PM
All Region

Curious One is on a distinguished road
Not sure why any HS would schedule them. Let them play out of state!
Old 01-30-19, 08:23 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Did the other players for Spire just transfer in for this year? The two best players are Watts, who is a senior, and Jackson, who is a junior. Have they been at Spire all the time or did they just come in with the new coach as well. Obviously they are garnering a lot more press with Lamelo, but that is quite a collection of talent they have accumulated in a short period of time.
Old 01-30-19, 09:00 AM
All District

Just came this year. Other than a 7'7" kid that can barely run up and down the court, Spire had no high level players prior to this season.
Old 01-30-19, 11:20 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited Potential View Post
Just came this year. Other than a 7'7" kid that can barely run up and down the court, Spire had no high level players prior to this season.
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Given that, next year will be the important one for Spire. They won't have the media attention without the Ball family, and their best player will be in a Michigan State uniform. If they can reload and still be the force they are this year, then Spire is on to something. Somehow, though, I think they take a step back next year.
Old 01-30-19, 01:12 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Given that, next year will be the important one for Spire. They won't have the media attention without the Ball family, and their best player will be in a Michigan State uniform. If they can reload and still be the force they are this year, then Spire is on to something. Somehow, though, I think they take a step back next year.
They are likely hoping to use the exposure from this year to attract a few elite prospects annually. We shall see.
Old 01-30-19, 01:13 PM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
That’s not true...they had a member of the PR. National team on their squad. The guy couldn’t miss a three. I don’t know what happened to him.
Old 01-30-19, 01:27 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvctrackfan View Post
Thatís not true...they had a member of the PR. National team on their squad. The guy couldnít miss a three. I donít know what happened to him.
Spire has a high school team and a post graduate team. They have had some higher level guys on the post grad team, but that team would never play a local HS team. Did not hear about the PR national team player, but would assume he was on the post grad team in a prior season. Can't find anything online.
Old 01-31-19, 06:38 AM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_XYZ&12345 View Post
Had to laugh when I read that in The Rep,don't want to join The Fed but willing to play these whatever they are.Love your coach he'll make it a learning experience for the boys.
Old 03-11-19, 08:22 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
Spire Institute is for sale.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/...-for-sale.html
Old 03-12-19, 12:15 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Butler View Post
This sounds more like the beginning of the end than the end of the beginning like they are trying to spin it. My guess is Spire will have issues attracting more top flight talent while the complex is on the auction block and facing an uncertain future.

Last edited by Irish60; 03-12-19 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-12-19, 12:21 PM
All District

I saw this last night and thought the same thing.

When I heard about the size and cost of the facility itself I wondered how in the world this place in the middle of nowhere was going to turn a profit. Looks like that will never likely be happening.

I predict a future "What ever happened to?" trivia question where the answer is Spire Academy.
Old 03-12-19, 12:34 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Big Baller gonna swoop in and take over maybe?
Old 03-12-19, 03:32 PM
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
I get the point of this thread. The facts are that less than 0.1% of HS basketball players will even sniff the NBA, same goes with football and the NFL. Today's culture has become so driven on making it big time and specializing in 1 sport that the whole "big man on campus" idea and the days of the 3 sport athlete are dwindling. Kids would rather focus on football, basketball or baseball year round while trying to earn a scholarship than enjoy their HS years and play as many sports as possible. Odds are (whether you go to SPIRE, Ed's, Ignatius, Mentor, Moeller, or some D7 school in BFE), you probably aren't making it to the pros anyways. Coaches do nothing but hurt this narrative as well in many cases. There are a lot of 6'3" basketball players in this state playing below the rim that would make excellent football players, but coaches are putting NBA visions in these kids heads to make them play AAU all year round instead of playing football in the fall and maybe run track in the spring. As long as these coaches get their wins and can say they sent a kid or 2 to college, they don't care.
This post nails it! These specialty schools and programs are because less than 1% will hit the jackpot and make millions at the pro level but the problem is everyone thinks they are in that 1%. Another issue I see with it is that these athletes are being put on a pedestal with no sense of reality, and when they don't achieve that 1% promise they come crashing down with nothing to fall back on. To each his own and I know it's a trend that will continue, but I think a lot of young people are missing out on the complete high school experience by constantly transferring or playing on all star teams.

I saw a comment recently by College Coach Tubby Smith where he mentioned there were over 800 basketball transfers at the college level in a recent year. He mentioned that when he was a Frosh in college he called his dad and a paraphrase of the conversation went something like this, he was unhappy. His Dad asked are you in trouble? No. Are they still letting you play? Yes. Are you still on scholarship? Yes. Then enough and get back to studying.

I love sports but I don't really put athletes on some kind of throne. But in general we are making these athletes bigger than they are and it's contributing to this dilemma.