Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-19-19, 01:49 PM
All Ohio

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCorps View Post
How smart are they? Compare them to the team Grote was on, if that is fair.
Based on the times I have seen the 8th and Frosh play, it looks like there are a lot of high IQ players. The talent will be there as long as Cupps can get them to play unselfishly as a team
Old 02-19-19, 01:56 PM
All Ohio

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
Based on the times I have seen the 8th and Frosh play, it looks like there are a lot of high IQ players. The talent will be there as long as Cupps can get them to play unselfishly as a team
Great. The more high quality teams the better.
Old 02-19-19, 02:09 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
that 2002 Centerville team was also a Staley team. they were ranked 6th in the state's final AP poll. Staley was known to slow the ball down and the Grote squad was a perfect example. they typically held their opponents to around 40 ppg. the Rhoda/Spears team was the only basketball team coached by Staley who were given free reign to run the court and it was very exciting. that Cupps 23 win team was at Centerville, not Graham.
Lol Sure. Did you watch the game at CVille when Springfield came to town? I think Springfield was top five in the state. CVille ran them out of the gym, big time. It was a great game. When they did run 1/2 court, it was a clinic, but let us not split hairs; Staley had some great wins.

At a school like graham, if you have some good players and you have some height you can build a good program and take advantage of the bracket.
Old 02-19-19, 03:23 PM
Proud Dad of a US Marine

Warrior78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_E_Woyote View Post
I looked up Gabe Cupps and found this highlight video. It says 2017-2018, so I assume he's in the 7th grade in this video.

It's astonishing his high degree of all around skill level at that age. It's well beyond his years. Add in great basketball instinct and he plays tough.

Wow, I was just thinking how good he's going to be in high school. You're right, Centerville fans are going to be in for a real treat. I just couldn't take my eyes of that video!

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9156723...8c160dc8b75573

Very impressive. He has all the ingredients for superstar and Mr. Basketball. That kid can flat out play!
Old 02-19-19, 04:02 PM
All District

Justice is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Playing selfishly is not an option in Coach Cupps program!
Old 02-19-19, 04:11 PM
All District

Quote:
Lol Sure. Did you watch the game at CVille when Springfield came to town? I think Springfield was top five in the state. CVille ran them out of the gym, big time. It was a great game. When they did run 1/2 court, it was a clinic, but let us not split hairs; Staley had some great wins.

At a school like graham, if you have some good players and you have some height you can build a good program and take advantage of the bracket.
Graham is a school where Wrestling is King! What Coach Cupps accomplished in his tenure their is amazing! He took good kids, got them to buy into his philosophy & system, and outcoached the competition. He is simply one of the best coaches in Ohio.

Last edited by Justice; 02-19-19 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-20-19, 01:19 PM
Freshman

grahamfalconbb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
Playing selfishly is not an option in Coach Cupps program!
Agree 100%. A selfish player for coach Cupps either learns to play unselfishly or is sees the came from the bench, no matter how good he is.
Old 02-20-19, 02:02 PM
All District

Quote:
Elks are REALLY loaded in the freshman and 8th grade classes. Cupps should win the Elks first state title in basketball with these kids in the next 2-3 years. The Elks play 6-7 frosh on JV/V.
@ Miamisburg HS Saturday 3:30 PM

17-1 WAYNE VS 18-1 CENTERVILLE GOLD
8TH GRADE BOYS GWOC CHAMPIONSHIP

Centerville Gold beat #1 undefeated 17-0 Trotwood Madison last evening 55-47 in a great game.
Old 02-20-19, 02:12 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Graham is a school where Wrestling is King! What Coach Cupps accomplished in his tenure their is amazing! He took good kids, got them to buy into his philosophy & system, and outcoached the competition. He is simply one of the best coaches in Ohio.
OK, I give. He is the Coach Jordan of high school basketball. I wish CVille the best. Everything is better in the Ville. I will finally admit, he is the coach that Staley never was. Good luck.
Old 02-20-19, 02:56 PM
All District

I never disputed Coach Staley's greatness. Only a fool would not respect 500 wins. Centerville is blessed to have had him and fortunate to have Coach Cupps.History will be kind to both. Go Elks!
Old 02-20-19, 02:57 PM
All District

Quote:
OK, I give. He is the Coach Jordan of high school basketball. I wish CVille the best. Everything is better in the Ville. I will finally admit, he is the coach that Staley never was. Good luck.
Old 02-20-19, 03:44 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
@ Miamisburg HS Saturday 3:30 PM

17-1 WAYNE VS 18-1 CENTERVILLE GOLD
8TH GRADE BOYS GWOC CHAMPIONSHIP

Centerville Gold beat #1 undefeated 17-0 Trotwood Madison last evening 55-47 in a great game.
If the 8th grade can beat Wayne who was their only loss this year, it will be only the 2nd 8th grade Centerville team since 2012 to win the GWOC tourney. According to the GWOC site, last year's 8th grade team (this year's Frosh) went undefeated and beat Wayne by 22 in the championship game. It would be a big accomplishment since Centerville has 2 teams and divides the talent equally where Wayne & Trotwood only have 1 team in both 7th & 8th grades.
Good luck boys!
Old 02-20-19, 04:38 PM
All District

Very Nice to see Varsity players last night cheering for the Centerville Gold Team.Thanks for the information about the History of this GWOC Tourney. Wishing Coach Holweger & the team the very best in this championship Game Amazing crowd & atmosphere last evening! Go Elks!!

Last edited by Justice; 02-20-19 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-20-19, 05:38 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Mostly sarcasm. I appreciate the conversation and opinions. I have no more negatives for cups or the Elks. Go Elks. I really hope they make it to Cintas and not get drilled.
Old 02-20-19, 05:41 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Very Nice to see Varsity players last night cheering for the Centerville Gold Team.Thanks for the information about the History of this GWOC Tourney. Wishing Coach Holweger & the team the very best in this championship Game Amazing crowd & atmosphere last evening! Go Elks!!
Is that Mike Holweger from Fenwick and Wittenberg?
Old 02-20-19, 06:01 PM
All District

Yes
Old 02-20-19, 06:05 PM
All District

Smile

Quote:
Mostly sarcasm. I appreciate the conversation and opinions. I have no more negatives for cups or the Elks. Go Elks. I really hope they make it to Cintas and not get drilled.
Then we agree! Go Elks!
Old 02-20-19, 06:10 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Yes
High quality character as a regular guy and as a coach. Nice catch.
Old 02-20-19, 07:34 PM
All American

member1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If the 8th grade can beat Wayne who was their only loss this year, it will be only the 2nd 8th grade Centerville team since 2012 to win the GWOC tourney. According to the GWOC site, last year's 8th grade team (this year's Frosh) went undefeated and beat Wayne by 22 in the championship game. It would be a big accomplishment since Centerville has 2 teams and divides the talent equally where Wayne & Trotwood only have 1 team in both 7th & 8th grades.
Good luck boys!
Uhhh... The talent is not divided equally. At least not that 8th grade gold bracket team. That group is clearly loaded. Young Cupps is the real deal. He has some Kennardish tendencies. Not saying he will be that good but his skill level is there. That Trotwood 8th grade team was tough too. Never gave up and kept fighting plus I heard they were playing a 7th grader up with the 8th grade team. Put him with either that 7th or 8th grade group that they have..Future is bright. Damn shame the GWOC affiliation is over. These battles would be something to see in the years to come, at least in Bball. Wayne, Cville and Twood.... Lots of talent in the next few years. Should be a great championship game Saturday.
Old 02-20-19, 08:19 PM
All District

The intent was to strive for balanced teams with the Centerville Black & Gold teams. The Gold finished GWOC league play 10-1 losing by 2 to Wayne. The 1st game of season Gold won by 10 vs Black. The Black team beat Wayne & finished GWOC LEAGUE Play 9-3.Having Gabe Cupps could be the slightest advantage to Gold.
Agree that Gold is VG @ 18-1 but Black pretty special also. Will make for quality competition next year.
Agree with your comments 're TM also.
Old 02-20-19, 08:29 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by member1 View Post
Uhhh... The talent is not divided equally. At least not that 8th grade gold bracket team. That group is clearly loaded. Young Cupps is the real deal. He has some Kennardish tendencies. Not saying he will be that good but his skill level is there. That Trotwood 8th grade team was tough too. Never gave up and kept fighting plus I heard they were playing a 7th grader up with the 8th grade team. Put him with either that 7th or 8th grade group that they have..Future is bright. Damn shame the GWOC affiliation is over. These battles would be something to see in the years to come, at least in Bball. Wayne, Cville and Twood.... Lots of talent in the next few years. Should be a great championship game Saturday.
Never being intimidated, never giving up and having skilled players is in Trotwood’s basketball program’s DNA. I do not always root for TM, but I know what I will see when I watch them play.
Old 02-20-19, 08:44 PM
All District

Totally agree!
Old 02-20-19, 08:57 PM
All American

member1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Never being intimidated, never giving up and having skilled players is in Trotwood’s basketball program’s DNA. I do not always root for TM, but I know what I will see when I watch them play.
I agree. They got down big early and fought back to cut it to like 4 or 6? Once the T wood PG fouled out it was pretty much over but the fight in those kids was admirable. Cville had more talent and Cupps, who let me say is extremely impressive. 4 years of him is going to be fun to watch! The T wood 7th grade team is loaded and should win the league next year too. Then it's done. Hopefully they can keep some of the GWOC teams on the schedule and continue some of these young and up and coming potential rivalries but who knows....Politics may play a part. Regardless good game, great atmosphere for MS bball. The future looks bright on the Harcourt around the Dayton area.
Old 02-20-19, 10:09 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
The intent was to strive for balanced teams with the Centerville Black & Gold teams. The Gold finished GWOC league play 10-1 losing by 2 to Wayne. The 1st game of season Gold won by 10 vs Black. The Black team beat Wayne & finished GWOC LEAGUE Play 9-3.Having Gabe Cupps could be the slightest advantage to Gold.
Agree that Gold is VG @ 18-1 but Black pretty special also. Will make for quality competition next year.
Agree with your comments 're TM also.
I agree Justice. According to GWOC site, 8th grade teams this year were 28-4 (Gold 15-1, Black 13-3) and last year's 8th grade teams were 30-2 (Black 16-0, Gold 14-2). Their combined record the last 2 years is 58-6 with 2 of the losses against each other. Going 58-4 against the GWOC with divided teams should make for an exciting run the next few years in HS

Last edited by ELK Strong; 02-21-19 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-25-19, 08:12 AM
Freshman

grahamfalconbb is on a distinguished road
Sorry if I missed it somewhere but who won the 8th grade championship game?
Old 02-25-19, 08:18 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamfalconbb View Post
Sorry if I missed it somewhere but who won the 8th grade championship game?
Wayne won by 3. The Elks were up by 1 after 3 quarters. It sounds like a great game. 8th Gold finished 17-2 and 8th Black finished 14-4 giving Wayne their only loss
Old 02-25-19, 12:46 PM
All District

Lots of talent on display. Wayne earned the W!
Great competitive game between two excellent well coached teams. Gabe Cupps had 25. Great atmosphere.
Old 02-27-19, 08:27 AM
All Ohio

15 in a row

Elks rolled Northmont by 34 last night. Xenia up next. Elks should beat the Bucs by 20+ and limit Curtis scoring. It looks like first test will be Mason at UD at District Finals.
Old 02-27-19, 11:51 AM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Elks rolled Northmont by 34 last night. Xenia up next. Elks should beat the Bucs by 20+ and limit Curtis scoring. It looks like first test will be Mason at UD at District Finals.
I wouldn't assume Mason will be there. Not saying they won't, just saying they aren't that great to be assuming that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-19, 02:22 PM
U. S. American

MasonComet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
I wouldn't assume Mason will be there. Not saying they won't, just saying they aren't that great to be assuming that.
Agreed. And Milford has a nice team to boot.