Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-18-19, 08:48 AM
All District

Unlimited Potential is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
^^^^^^^ Is this Chet's burner account?? I guess we all needed a full blown biography on the guy lmao. A lot of pretty ignorant comments about Flan and Kwas in here, assuming that because these guys didn't "grow up in the hood" that they aren't successful and "don't know the struggle." Cmon now. Grow up
Let's clarify; success is not measured by ones circumstances, but what one does with their circumstances. All 3 are successful; 2 of them humble.

Perhaps one day I can "grow up" to your level of ethnocentrism.
Old 01-18-19, 11:01 AM
All Ohio

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited Potential View Post
Let's clarify; success is not measured by ones circumstances, but what one does with their circumstances. All 3 are successful; 2 of them humble.

Perhaps one day I can "grow up" to your level of ethnocentrism.
So Flannery and Kwas can never be successful in your eyes because they were "born with a silver spoon in their mouths" as you put it, no matter how many state titles they win, how many kids they get into college, team GPA, etc. Got it.

Sorry but when measuring the success of coaches at any level (HS, college, pros), no one is looking at where the coach grew up, went to HS, etc. They are looking at player development and success. The bottom line is that Flan and Kwas have got it done in big games. Chet hasnt yet. Not saying he never will. Everyone in this thread (besides you and brusharc homer) are waiting to see it actually happen.......

Get out of districts and earn respect. Don't cry about "being born in the hood" or whatever other excuse you want to give. There are plenty of "urban publics" with coaches that "came from nothing" that make it to regionals and states every year. The excuses you keep giving are laughable. Garfield Hts has been a staple in district finals, regionals and even 2 state appearances over the last half decade to decade or so. What's their excuse? They get the same kinds of kids that Brush does (I know Sonny recruits, but the point still stands).

I'm rooting for Brush to be able to put it all together this year and make a run. Hopefully this is the year that Chet can motivate and push this group to make a run in March. If he gets out of the meatgrinder that is their district (mentor, cle hts, solon, etc) then I think they should be the favorite to get to Columbus.
Old 01-18-19, 09:22 PM
All Region

brusharc1986 is on a distinguished road
Nice little evening for Coach Mason and the boys and me personally. The Arcs got a tough road win tonight at upstart Willoughby South and I had myself a nice little pastrami sandwich from Manhattan Deli.
Old 01-19-19, 11:53 AM
All District

vikings4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by brusharc1986 View Post
Nice little evening for Coach Mason and the boys and me personally. The Arcs got a tough road win tonight at upstart Willoughby South and I had myself a nice little pastrami sandwich from Manhattan Deli.
They are underrated because they never win anything.
Old 01-19-19, 05:31 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Why is Brush the only NE Ohio team that is backing out of this weekends hoops tournament ? Looks like Garfield and Cleveland Heights still have games that are on.
Old 01-19-19, 09:29 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
Why is Brush the only NE Ohio team that is backing out of this weekends hoops tournament ? Looks like Garfield and Cleveland Heights still have games that are on.

Sonny runs the show. He gets what he wants. Clearly the admin at Brush feels differently. Both Brush and Garfield are scheduled for tomorrow, with Brush starting earlier. To be fair though, Cleveland Heights doesnít play until Monday. Roads should be better by then.
Old 01-19-19, 11:39 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Sonny runs the show. He gets what he wants. Clearly the admin at Brush feels differently. Both Brush and Garfield are scheduled for tomorrow, with Brush starting earlier. To be fair though, Cleveland Heights doesnít play until Monday. Roads should be better by then.
Thank you Cardz for being a dose of reality back to BBALL. His sick obsession with disparaging Brush goes back to some kind of vendetta he has against Coach Mason. It is refreshing that real posters like yourself can see right through his tired act of piling on a guy that has done great things in our local community. Sure, you wonít see him bragging about every little thing he does because being humble is part of who Coach Mason is. He is a leader in so many other ways than just regurgitating quotes off a $.99 daily calendar you can get at your local Marcís grocery store.
Old 01-19-19, 11:45 PM
All District

When will Brush and Mason win something?
Old 01-20-19, 03:32 PM
All World

[QUOTE=Unlimited Potential;7234834]
Quote:
James - Again I ask what Brush and Coach Mason have won ? That is an easy question.

Indeed this is a very easy question. Coach Mason has won life, already, way more than most of these other coaches and all of us on here.

Coach grew up under difficult circumstances in a very rough part of town where most young boys end up dead, in jail, or drop out of school.

He did the unheard of coming out of the senate league, and won Mr. Basketball as the top player in the state of ohio in 2000.

He then went on to Miami to earn his degree and later was inducted into the athletic hall of fame for the redhawks.

He played pro overseas and in the D-League for multiple year.

He hosts FREE inner city basketball clinics every year for the last decade.

He then was a volunteer (unpaid) assistant coach for another school for 1 season, and took the head job at Brush.

Now in his 4th season as a head coach, and 5th as a coach, he has greatly improved his craft.

Is he an elite coach yet? Probably not. Is he on that path, I think he might be.

To me, even if he never wins a district championship and retires after this season, he is still a huge success. He truly cares about players and making a difference in their lives.

Comparing him to Flan or Kwas is just not apples to apples.

The guys grew up on totally different circumstances, and their job requirements are totally different.

These guys were handed stacked decks at birth and are handed stacked decks based on their school. Sure, it took a lot more for success and each has worked hard and earned a good portion of their success, but you simply can't ignore the built in advantages here.

At Ed's every kid shows up to every practice, keeps his grades up, and stays out of trouble. If he doesn't, he will be replaced by the next guy who probably isn't far behind on talent.

Some of the inner ring suburb schools a coach has to do way more than coach and just having the full squad together for each practice is a challenge.

To ask what has Coach Mason won is simply absurd. He has already won and won big. If you dispute any of this, you are likely one of the folks that was born with the stacked deck. Good day.

See they don't need to win because the coach already has. SMH

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 01-20-19, 08:31 PM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikings4life View Post
When will Brush and Mason win something?
I once new a Lisa Mason.How weird
Old 01-21-19, 01:11 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
I once new a Lisa Mason.How weird
Everyone had a hand in that mason jar.
Old 01-22-19, 01:04 PM
All Region

Well, a couple of tune-ups for the Arcs before the showdown with Kennedy Catholic out of PA. I'm a little concerned about tonight's game with Shaker Hts. I've done business in the Van Aken Blvd. area for years and this game always has an extra bit of juice to it. I know that Coach Mason will have his team ready to play. He always does.
Old 01-22-19, 03:21 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well, a couple of tune-ups for the Arcs before the showdown with Kennedy Catholic out of PA. I'm a little concerned about tonight's game with Shaker Hts. I've done business in the Van Aken Blvd. area for years and this game always has an extra bit of juice to it. I know that Coach Mason will have his team ready to play. He always does.
Brush also plays at SVSM next week (1/30)...they just added the game due to Brush not going to Dayton this past weekend. The next 8 days of basketball will really test the Arcs. Kennedy Catholic is a powerhouse that has played St Eds twice this season. They split the two games. As for Shaker, they don't have the kind of top notch talent that they have had in some recent years. They are a solid team, but Brush will have the three best players on the floor. That is a big advantage. Shaker is tough though and well-coached. Could be a close one.
Old 01-23-19, 07:31 AM
All Ohio

Didn't know about the SVSM game added. That's a HUGE game for brusharc fan. It's going to be time to put up or shut up for his Brush squad. If they lose to St V, this thread needs to be deleted and never again brought up.
Old 01-23-19, 08:26 AM
All Region

Couldn't agree more. It's a big time game between two big time programs. Coach Mason has gotten the program to heights no one thought possible and this is a true test. Despite the victory over St. Edward earlier this year some people need more verification of the program's growth.
Old 01-23-19, 08:27 AM
All District

SVSM will has no answer for Big John Hugley... long live this thread

In all reality, yes, games vs. SVSM, Kennedy Catholic will make or break any argument for top team in the area. But no single game result will disrupt the entertaining banter
Old 01-23-19, 09:54 AM
All World

One win over Ed's and one good class coming through does not justify a program being elite. Brush has a nice team that is relatively unproven. If you want to develope a elite program you need to play teams like SVSM. The next few games will show how Brush matches up against equal or better talent because that is what they will be facing if they make it to the district finals or semi finals - or beyond like they hope. The big advantage several teams have over Brush is that these programs have been there and done that on the big stage and the Arcs have not. That is a huge advantage for the other teams come playoff time.

Old 01-23-19, 10:13 AM
All Region

Quote:
One win over Ed's and one good class coming through does not justify a program being elite. Brush has a nice team that is relatively unproven. If you want to develope a elite program you need to play teams like SVSM. The next few games will show how Brush matches up against equal or better talent because that is what they will be facing if they make it to the district finals or semi finals - or beyond like they hope. The big advantage several teams have over Brush is that these programs have been there and done that on the big stage and the Arcs have not. That is a huge advantage for the other teams come playoff time.

I would've bet that Bball216 would chime in here with some predictable vitriol. His unhealthy disdain for Brush and a few other schools is becoming tiresome. I guess it is easier to come on here and slam Brush and Coach Mason than stay on the VASJ thread and discuss the swirling issues there. His metric for evaluating program success is awfully fickle. Should Brush defeat SVSM in the showdown it will be "just another regular season game" for them but if they should lose then it will the fact that Coach Mason has not been on the big stage yet. His shifting viewpoint is tantamount to looking through a set of binoculars while skydiving.
Old 01-23-19, 10:46 AM
All World

Please tell us how this same team that lost in the district semis last year is now all of a sudden elite ? Not one person on this thread has hated on Brush - they like me have only stated facts. You seem to have some inferiority complex because you feel Brush should be handed all the praise in the world just because they beat Ed's. Brush had a huge chance to show what it's made of at home against Spire - and were run out of the gym by the same Spire team that got steamrolled by 30+ this weekend.

Brush has a good team and time will tell if they end up being a great team. Nobody here has a dislike or bias against Brush like you have against VASJ. People saying Brush needs to win something in the post season is not hating - it truth. NE Ohio basketball is brutal and everything is earned- not given. Brush is not SVSM, Ed's, Mentor, Lorain, etc - they just aren't. Right now Brush is the #3 team in the PD which is probably more respect then they deserve based on who they have played. That means the PD is giving them respect based on their potential. If Brush goes to state that would mean they had a great team and great season. If Mason has people talking Arc basketball 3 and 5 years from now - you have a great program.

Old 01-23-19, 11:33 AM
All Ohio

Euclid took about a qtr. but after that they put a pretty good butt wooping on Willoughby South at South.Congrats to T.J.Kwas. I was there last night.Does that mean Euclid is as good as Brush? Or does that lessen the road victory Brush had at South last week? I would like to see those two go at it.Euclid dominated that game.

Last edited by James x2; 01-23-19 at 11:35 AM. Reason: add
Old 01-23-19, 01:07 PM
All Region

What am I? A schmuck on wheels? I'm not going to get into a comparative scoring battle here. Euclid had a nice win last night. I'm sure the kid over there at Euclid is a good coach, not top 3 like Chet, Sonny, and Krizancic, but he's a solid coach. Brush played poorly against Willoughby South and that pastrami I had at Manhattan Deli didn't settle till almost 36 hours later...it just wasn't a great night. It happens. The thing about Coach Mason and the culture he has built there is they are able to win when they have off nights.
Old 01-23-19, 01:11 PM
All Ohio

The fact that this guy keeps saying that Chet is a top 3 coach in NE Ohio is continuously laughable. Pull your head out of you know where one time damn. You might be the biggest homer on yappi. When Chet actually wins in the postseason and wins consistently, then maybe he can climb into top 15 or top 10 status. Until then, chill out
Old 01-23-19, 01:26 PM
All District

bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
what am i? A schmuck on wheels?
yes
Old 01-23-19, 01:37 PM
All Ohio

Now I'm confused?

Quote:
The sando took 36hrs to digest? The Arcs struggled that night at South? It wasn't a great night?

Last edited by James x2; 01-23-19 at 01:39 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-23-19, 01:42 PM
All Ohio

Smile It's all good natured fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
Euclid took about a qtr. but after that they put a pretty good butt wooping on Willoughby South at South.Congrats to T.J.Kwas. I was there last night.Does that mean Euclid is as good as Brush? Or does that lessen the road victory Brush had at South last week? I would like to see those two go at it.Euclid dominated that game.
I call it sarcasm not competitive scoring.Just busting your bagels
Old 01-23-19, 02:00 PM
All World

Cannot believe you asked people on this site if your a schmuck - funniest thing posted in a long time. The answer is a resounding HELL YEAH.

Chet has his teams ready and they can win when they don't play well ? Rewind to Tuesday last week when they were NOT ready and did NOT play well. Calling Chet a Top 3 coach not only makes you look ridiculous it disrespects the deserving coaches that deserve it and have earned their way on that list.

Last edited by Bball216; 01-24-19 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-23-19, 02:02 PM
All Region

If you want to busts my Matzah Balls that is fine. I can take a good natured ribbing. Just don't tell me that Coach Mason doesn't belong in the top coaches in the area. His performance in only a short time at Brush deserves only the utmost praise. They have new jerseys and they are respectable, not sewn on patches or anything. The alumni are engaged and not disenfranchised. They play a top level schedule and have beaten St. Edward already this year. He even started the Chet Mason Invitational. Now how many other coaches have an Invitational in their own namesake in such a short time?
Old 01-23-19, 03:15 PM
All District

Only a man with "Jet" as his nickname can accomplish such feats in such a sort amount of time.
Old 01-23-19, 10:32 PM
All District

Bertha is on a distinguished road
you got to WIN the District title this year...

If you dont then you can call the chet mason invitation a win for the ages in your respectable jerseys that your non disenfranchised alumni can talk about for decades ...

get a flipping clue and stop running your mouth until you advance deep in the state tournament. ...
Old 01-24-19, 06:59 AM
All World

👍👍👍👍