Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-09-19, 09:19 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the additional info. Totally forgot about that first one in 97. Glenville, like Brush after them, just couldnít catch a break against Krizancic. They lost four district finals against Mentor.

I was at the game against North Ridgeville. I remember their top two guys. Still feel like that was pretty shocking. I admit that part of that was in name alone. I mean come on...North Ridgeville? Mentor probably wipes the floor with them just about every time over the last 20 years...except that year. Mentor shot poorly that night for sure, which wasnít unusual at regional play. After that loss in 2009, Mentor was 1-7 at CSU/Akron. Then in 2010, they finally broke through.

Branchick had an interesting career for Mentor. I liked his game. He was not a typical Mentor guard, as he didnít have much of an outside shot. But he had a nice career, and usually had some of his best games in March.
Old 03-09-19, 08:37 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
The winner and still champion Mentor 77-73 over the Brush Arcs. Great effort by the Cards.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 03-09-19, 09:06 PM
All Ohio

bbfan29 is on a distinguished road
Kudos to Coach K, his staff & especially his team. Great win & special tribute to the faithful Mentor fans & student body, who supported the team all season long & not just the tournament,
Old 03-09-19, 10:56 PM
All Yappi

This district title was as impressive, or more, as any. This was quite the formidable opponent. Brush played well and we could see the justified hype of their big three. But Mentorís big three (Floriea, Rogers, Chicone) were up to the task. Mentorís depth proved to be more impactful too. And of course Krizancic has his boys ready - physically and mentally. Great game plan by the coaches and great execution by the players. A really fun game and as sweet as any they have had at Euclid.

If you asked me a year ago after the Solon loss or even in November, never in a million years did I think Mentor would be in a position like this. 23-2...district champs.
Old 03-09-19, 11:23 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
What a sweet victory that was! Coach K is a legend. What he does with the talent he's given is amazing. His big 3 is pretty darn good but he always gets the most out of his teams. If the guy had all star teams like the schools that recruit he would be unstoppable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-19, 11:37 PM
Freshman

cdub4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnac the Magnifice View Post
cards, thank you, that was a great re-cap of Mentor BB history. The first district title for krizancic and company was in 1997 against a Glenville team that was 22-0 and ranked second in the state. That team consisted of a trio of guards comparable to 2010. Seniors Jason Woleben, Jason Schefft, and sophomore Brian Krofcheck were also a heck a trio. All three played in college. This team could have won the state title. Late in the season they went on the road and beat a Cleveland Heights team that was ranked 3rd in the state (led by Mr. Basketball Damon Stringer and a 6'7 swing player Theo Dixon). They followed that the following night on the road by beating a seventh ranked in the state Euclid team led by a 6'10 kid going to I think to Middle Tennessee State (Ii forget his name, Nosse???? but I could be wrong about that). I also believe Mr Football, Tony Fisher was one that team but I may be mistaken about that also. They lost to Akron Firestone in the regional final. Schefft who is was arguably the best point guard in Mentor History fouled out with 2 minutes to play and a 10-12 point lead that they could not hold on to it. The regional final would have been against Cleveland Heights who eventually won the state title.
If you are talking 1997..Damon Stringer was Heights class of 1995. 1997 had a senior Theo Dixon and Jamal Harris and junior JR Bremer all who went D1. If I recall Stringer's last 2 years Heights only lost season openers to eventual D2 state champs VASJ and at state to D1 state champs both years.
Old 03-10-19, 01:05 PM
All Yappi

Now that the district finals are over, Mentorís regular season schedule featured four wins over district champs (Euclid twice, VASJ, Lakota East) and two more (Shaker and Jackson) against district finalists. I didnít see VASJ or Jackson in person, but I still have to believe Brush was better than anybody on the schedule.

Krizancic now is 13-3 in district finals at Euclid, a pretty amazing accomplishment. I believe Mentor has lost only a couple times in district semifinals in the Krizancic era too, making him something like 30-5 at the district tournament. You never know if this is the year he walks away. Mentor community needs to appreciate it while we got it.
Old 03-14-19, 11:18 AM
All Yappi

The season came to a somewhat surprising end last night. I was fully prepared for a loss to Brush in the district final. Heck, I was even more concerned about Solon in the district semifinal than I was in Green. I should've known better. Green obviously is playing really well right now, as evidenced by their 20-point win against Jackson in the district final followed by last night's dominant second half against Mentor.

A 23-3 season is nothing what I expected. The players responded well to the coaching staff and they came very prepared for success starting on day one. The seniors (Edwards, Trubisky, and Sabin) all had their part in the team success. Edwards and Trubisky both played hit some big shots yesterday and had multiple key games throughout the season.

Returning next year are the top three scorers - Luke Floriea, Luke Chicone, and Chad Rogers. If these three guys can improve as much as they did in the previous 12 months, the sky is the limit for the team. I expect Caleb Piks, a basketball only kid, to also take some big strides next year as he becomes a bigger part of the offense. Ian Kipp is a football guy through and through, but he will help the basketball team next year. As usual, expect one or two of the current JV guys to take an "Alex Edwards-like" progression into becoming varsity contributors.

I have to believe Coach K has one more year in him, in part due to the potential returning talent. I hope he can give (at least) one more season to the program. It was a fun year and hopefully next year will be more of the same...and maybe a little more.
Old 03-21-19, 06:45 AM
All Yappi

Congrats to Coach Krizancic on being named Coach of the Year for Division I in the All-Ohio press release. Outside of winning the state championship, this was his most impressive year of coaching.

Luke Floriea (2nd team) and Chad Rogers (honorable mention) also received All-Ohio recognition.