Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-21-19, 11:57 AM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Final: Mentor 81 VASJ 74

A big win for Mentor on the road against the Vikings. VASJ has had a lot of ups, some downs this season. They are still on the short list of teams that are favorites to win a DII state championship. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it out there tonight. Good recovery win for Mentor after falling to Medina. The Cards are 18-2...one win away from clinching Coach Krizancic's best regular season record.

The final three games are home against Elyria, home against Lake Catholic, and at Jackson in the finale.
Krizancic is in the heads of every other coach in the Euclid district.Until the clock strikes zero and the scoreboard shows they have lost then they are the team to beat.Between him and the legacy Mentor has created in BBall they take the court with a lead in every game,if for psychological reasons only.Passing,court spacing,three point shooting.And relentless effort.
Old 02-21-19, 12:38 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
Krizancic is in the heads of every other coach in the Euclid district.Until the clock strikes zero and the scoreboard shows they have lost then they are the team to beat.Between him and the legacy Mentor has created in BBall they take the court with a lead in every game,if for psychological reasons only.Passing,court spacing,three point shooting.And relentless effort.
No doubt that Krizancic has the coaching edge of all the coaches at Euclid. But if there is a coach who isn't intimidated, I look to Solon's coach Decesare. This is only his fifth season. In his first four, he has three district final appearances - all against Mentor. Decesare is 2-1 against Krizancic in these finals. These two teams have a good chance to meet in the district semifinals. That will be a tough one.
Old 02-21-19, 03:17 PM
All Ohio

Now that Solon doesn't have Sincere Carry to put their load on his shoulders the playing field is more level.I agree Solon plays Mentor twice a year so they are familiar with each other but that go to elite talent Solon had is gone so Mentor should prevail.But these are kids so you never know
Old 02-22-19, 09:07 AM
All Yappi

Tonight, Mentor hosts Elyria in the GCC finale. The Pioneers have had a rough season, but Mentor can't completely overlook them or else they could find themselves in another tight game.

On Saturday, Lake Catholic returns to Center Street in what is the biggest matchup ever between these two on the hardwood. Because Mentor has been by far the superior basketball program, this occasional series has lacked a "big game." The most notable game in my memory featured Adam May of Mentor and Ricky Stanzi (known for football, but was also a good basketball player) of Lake. Both players had over 30 points, but Mentor was victorious. These two teams have played several times in the last 10-15 years. Mentor has won every time. Unfortunately, during Lake Catholic's dream season where they made the Final Four and Mentor featured a Mr Basketball, the two teams didn't play. That would have been a lot of fun.

At the beginning of the season, I was not optimistic about this game. Lake is built around two super juniors that have been starting (and starring) since freshman. Both Luke Frazier and Luke Eller have multiple scholarships to play DI basketball...Mentor has been blessed with a total of two DI players (Adam May and Micah Potter) under Krizancic. If this was the first game of the season, Mentor would have been a decided underdog. But now, most in the area would consider Mentor a slight favorite...even if the talent at the top favors Lake.

I have to give Krizancic and his team credit. They did a master job holding onto sophomore stud Luke Chicone, grandson of legendary VASJ/John Carroll coach Mike Moran. After 8th grade, Chicone had a big decision to make. Stay with his buddies he grew up playing with at Mentor for a legendary coach that could step down at any point. Or go play for his uncle (Matt Moran) for four years at Lake Catholic along with two super promising players just one class ahead of him. Thankfully for Mentor, Chicone chose to stay. If Chicone decided to go to Lake Catholic, the trio of Frazier, Eller, and Chicone would be good enough to seriously contend for a DII state title this season and next. At Mentor, Chicone will help give Mentor a chance to seriously contend for a state title in 2020.

The student sections will be rocking tomorrow night and I expect a lot of the community from both sides to come out. It should be one of the loudest atmospheres on both sides in years. Looking forward to it.
Old 02-22-19, 03:37 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Tonight, Mentor hosts Elyria in the GCC finale. The Pioneers have had a rough season, but Mentor can't completely overlook them or else they could find themselves in another tight game.

On Saturday, Lake Catholic returns to Center Street in what is the biggest matchup ever between these two on the hardwood. Because Mentor has been by far the superior basketball program, this occasional series has lacked a "big game." The most notable game in my memory featured Adam May of Mentor and Ricky Stanzi (known for football, but was also a good basketball player) of Lake. Both players had over 30 points, but Mentor was victorious. These two teams have played several times in the last 10-15 years. Mentor has won every time. Unfortunately, during Lake Catholic's dream season where they made the Final Four and Mentor featured a Mr Basketball, the two teams didn't play. That would have been a lot of fun.

At the beginning of the season, I was not optimistic about this game. Lake is built around two super juniors that have been starting (and starring) since freshman. Both Luke Frazier and Luke Eller have multiple scholarships to play DI basketball...Mentor has been blessed with a total of two DI players (Adam May and Micah Potter) under Krizancic. If this was the first game of the season, Mentor would have been a decided underdog. But now, most in the area would consider Mentor a slight favorite...even if the talent at the top favors Lake.

I have to give Krizancic and his team credit. They did a master job holding onto sophomore stud Luke Chicone, grandson of legendary VASJ/John Carroll coach Mike Moran. After 8th grade, Chicone had a big decision to make. Stay with his buddies he grew up playing with at Mentor for a legendary coach that could step down at any point. Or go play for his uncle (Matt Moran) for four years at Lake Catholic along with two super promising players just one class ahead of him. Thankfully for Mentor, Chicone chose to stay. If Chicone decided to go to Lake Catholic, the trio of Frazier, Eller, and Chicone would be good enough to seriously contend for a DII state title this season and next. At Mentor, Chicone will help give Mentor a chance to seriously contend for a state title in 2020.

The student sections will be rocking tomorrow night and I expect a lot of the community from both sides to come out. It should be one of the loudest atmospheres on both sides in years. Looking forward to it.
Is there going to be a trio of games or just JV/Varsity? And when will it start?

Last edited by James x2; 02-22-19 at 03:38 PM. Reason: change
Old 02-23-19, 08:06 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
Is there going to be a trio of games or just JV/Varsity? And when will it start?
Itís a trio - 4:30/6:00/7:30
Old 02-23-19, 08:08 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Itís a trio - 4:30/6:00/7:30
Thank You for the info
Old 02-23-19, 08:25 AM
All Yappi

Mentor Basketball

All I have to say after yesterday is wow. Elyria came into the game second from the basement in the GCC. Mentor clinched the league two weeks ago. The first game at Elyria wasnít a blowout, so l wasnít sure what to expect.

Halfway through the 1st quarter, Mentor was off to a sluggish start. The score was 6-6 with about 4:00 left. Mentor then exploded for 62 points in the next 12 minutes of game time to gain a 68-28 lead at the half. The first two quarters featured 16 three pointers, including an astonishing 14 in a row. Five were made by seldom used senior Matt Sabin, who finished with a game high 20 points on senior night. The final was 97-68.

The big one is tonight
Old 02-24-19, 01:16 PM
All Yappi

It was nice to see the place at near capacity last night against Lake Catholic. Mentor wins the game, 70-62. It wasnít the cleanest offensive game from either side. Both teams upped the defensive intensity.

For Mentor, it was their 19th regular season win, the most ever for the program. A win over Jackson on Tuesday would give Krizancic and the program their highest win percentage. The previous best for both of those was the 18-2 regular season in 2011-12 with Mr Basketball Just Frits leading the way.

Luka Eller was better than I expected. Frazier had a tough night though. That is a very nice duo, probably better than any in DII. The Cougars will need the rest of the guys to step up their game if they are to knock out VASJ at districts. Nice to see the rivalry return. Hope they play again next season.
Old 02-25-19, 10:46 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Beating Lake Catholic is always fun. What's the all time series now ? Love seeing the zero on our loss column there

The chants are always fun but Lake needs some new material. Saying that they have rings when talking about football is pathetic. The current high school crop were babies or not alive in 2001.. and chanting while playing us in bball where we have a ring and they don't .. pretty hilarious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-19, 02:17 PM
All Yappi

I have been at all of the Mentor/Lake basketball matchups over the last 15 years or so. My guess is there have only been about five or six. This was probably the most well attended, but not even close to the loudest the gym has been. I remember the first two or three games in the 2005-2007 era were pretty lively on both sides. The student sections got loud, fun, and creative. There wasn't too much going on for either side on Saturday. The rivalry is dead. That's what happens when you take 20 years off from playing football. Too bad.
Old 02-25-19, 03:16 PM
All Yappi

Their program is dead too which is good for us. The two schools ignoring each other in football helped in a way to make them irrelevant now.

Old 02-26-19, 03:43 PM
All Yappi

Earlier in the thread, I posted that a couple of 17-3 seasons were tops in the Krizancic-era. I completely overlooked the 2011-12 team that finished 18-2, 22-3 overall (counting playoffs). They finished No. 3 in the AP poll. That team was led by Mr Basketball, Justin Fritts. Senior PG Danny Wallack was also a key part of the success. The rest of the varsity rotation (Jeff Foreman, Caleb Potter, Brandon Fritts, Conner Krizancic, etc.) were sophomores/juniors that would become the core of the 2013 state championship team. That team's loss to WGH at CSU was probably the most disappointed I have ever been in a Mentor regional loss. They really had a talented group, as evidenced by what they did the following season.

With the 19th win over Lake Catholic, this is already the winningest team in program history. With a win over Jackson tonight, they can also claim the highest win percentage in order to be a more fair comparison to teams that were on 20-game schedules. Jackson is the No. 1 seed at the Canton district. If Mentor is able to find a way to pull out wins over Solon and Brush, they could potentially face Jackson in two weeks at CSU. Neither Jackson nor Mentor are the runaway favorites. Jackson will have their hands full as will Mentor.
Old 02-27-19, 08:09 AM
All Yappi

https://www.news-herald.com/sports/m...ign=socialflow

Mentor closes out their historic regular season with a comfortable, 74-65, win on the road at Jackson. Chicone led the team with 25 points after going through a scoring slump the previous 2-3 weeks. That is a good sign for whatís do come in March hopefully.

Mentor played seven games this season against teams seeded 1 or 2 at their respective district. Mentor went 6-1 in those games. Wins over VASJ, Lake Catholic, Jackson, Shaker, Solon (twice), and Euclid (twice) are the highlight wins of the season.
Old 02-27-19, 09:09 AM
All District

Unlimited Potential is on a distinguished road
This potential Mentor vs. Brush game could realistically be for a trip to Columbus as the winner would now be the favorite as CSU.
Old 02-27-19, 09:29 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited Potential View Post
This potential Mentor vs. Brush game could realistically be for a trip to Columbus as the winner would now be the favorite as CSU.
St Eds in a regional final would certainly be a tough challenge for either team. But overall, I think Mentor's path through Euclid is just as, if not more, challenging than the one they would face at CSU. Solon and Brush have both beaten Eds this season. Jackson/Green are nice teams, but neither are in the same spectrum as Brush and maybe not even Solon. The Comets are healthy now and their sophomore PG is improving all season. I am nervous about that semifinal if the opponent is Solon.
Old 02-27-19, 03:48 PM
All Ohio

bbfan29 is on a distinguished road
Regardless of how far Mentor advances in the tournament, this has to be one of the most surprising & successful years in Coach K’s tenure at Mentor. I,like most other Mentor fans, I, never dreamed that this young, inexperienced group of kids would end the regular season 20-2 & seeded #1 in the tournament. What is even more surprising, is their 2 losses were by a total of 5 points. Watch out next year, with 4 regulars returning.(I’m including Piks in that group).
Old 02-27-19, 04:41 PM
All Region

satriani is on a distinguished road
Mentor is always one of the best coached teams in the state. They play a beautiful style of basketball. Mentor and Jackson should play every year, at every level possible. Two very similar programs.
Old 02-27-19, 08:56 PM
Freshman

dking1108 is on a distinguished road
Solon in the district-semis is an insanely tough draw
Old 03-01-19, 08:43 AM
All Yappi

https://www.news-herald.com/sports/m...88abbe6d3.html

Not exactly sure why now is the time for the NH to do a piece on Mentor's 2013 state championship basketball team, but I sure did enjoy reading and reminiscing. That was a special season and everything came together. It was not one of Krizancic's typical recipes for success. Unlike the majority of very good teams from 2000-2012, the state championship team was not gifted with a dominant All-Ohio guard. Some of Krizancic's teams had two, and sometimes three of those. This team had distributed scoring, length, defense, and rebounding unlike any other of Mentor's teams. I was at both of those losses to Shaker - 17 point leads evaporated. Tough ones. I was at the big game against Andrew Wiggins and Huntington Prep. Mentor had every reason to win that game, but just came up short. They were all the better for it. I watched every tournament game at the district, regional, and state level. Mentor was in control for the majority of the quarters.

I especially liked the leadership piece on Jeff Foreman. He was a contributor as a sophomore on a strong team led by Mentor's all-time leading scorer (Cole Krizancic) and a future Mr Basketball (Justin Fritts). Foreman belonged on the floor with those guys as a role player. Then as a junior, Foreman showed even more of his potential. It would come and go, but he was able on occasion to really go off and show his gifted ability to attack the basket with confidence while also being able to stroke it from three. Heading into his senior season, most believed he had the goods to be the next great Mentor guard. After graduating a Mr Basketball, someone had to step up. It took a while, but eventually the coaching staff reached Foreman. And when it finally clicked, Mentor never looked back. Foreman, a point guard by default for a team that didn't really have one, stepped up to the plate to take. Not only did he become the team's best distributor, but also their most dependable scorer and one of the better defenders.

I also liked the part about Brody Nelson. His defense was contagious. He helped elevate the entire team defense. Michael Gallagher was an example of a guy knowing his role and starring in it. That could've been said about everyone on the team. Potter took on the scoring. Fritts the rebounder. Krizancic the shooter. Berger the toughness. McClure was the utility man - a little bit of everything.

Bill Simmons, you know the famous sports writer people love to hate, wrote a really great book on basketball. In one of this conversations with Isaiah Thomas, the two-time champion let Bill in on a secret. The secret of basketball, according to Thomas, is that it isn't about basketball. Players starring in their roles, working together, holding each other accountable, getting along, etc. is as much a part of winning as all of the basketball stuff. That 2012-13 Mentor team embodied that mantra.
Old 03-01-19, 08:44 AM
All World

BigWorm can only hope to improve
The worm has nothing but respect for this program. Big ups
Old 03-01-19, 09:37 AM
All Yappi

It was a great story. That team was special. Very fun year. Glad we got to see that title win in Columbus cardz!!!

Old 03-01-19, 10:58 AM
Varsity

menfan is on a distinguished road
Nice to see coach K get recognized for the outstanding job he did this year....Northeast Lakes All-District coach of the year. A team with a lot of question marks going into the season has a 20-2 record and is a #1 seed. What a fabulous coaching job.

And congrats to Luke Floriea getting First Team recognition.
Old 03-01-19, 01:15 PM
All Ohio

bbfan29 is on a distinguished road
Since Coach K came on the Mentor basketball scene, the program has become one of the most successful & respected in the state & in some cases the country. He has also coached all-star teams throughout Europe & has been a featured speaker on the Nike Tour. He also has the utmost respect of his peers & fans. Hopefully he stays a few more years, continuing his successful program.
Old 03-01-19, 02:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan29 View Post
Since Coach K came on the Mentor basketball scene, the program has become one of the most successful & respected in the state & in some cases the country. He has also coached all-star teams throughout Europe & has been a featured speaker on the Nike Tour. He also has the utmost respect of his peers & fans. Hopefully he stays a few more years, continuing his successful program.
He seems to decide year to year. Who knows. Considering what he has coming back next year, I think it would be hard to step down after this season. I could see the 19-20 season being his last - just a guess. Mentor will be replacing a football and basketball coach around the same time. In both cases, the program is at an all-time high. This will be a very difficult job to replace Krizancic when he decides to move on.
Old 03-08-19, 03:16 PM
All Yappi

Tomorrow will be the 14th district title for Coach Krizancic at Mentor. His teams are 10-3 overall. I have been to all of them. Here is my history on those Euclid district finals over the years:

2001: Mentor 83 Glenville 82 (OT)

This was the loudest, hottest, and most intense of all the district finals I have seen Mentor play. That Mentor group was led by a very strong senior class led by Jason Bratten along with a few rising sophomores, including eventual 1,000-point scorer Eddie Zienkowski.

2002: Mentor 73 Geneva 55

That season, a team comprised of only juniors going against a very tough LEL and non-league schedule left the Cardinals with a sub .500 record. That has only happened once or twice under Krizancic. But, Mentor won five tournament games that season, including this district final win over Geneva. Credit to Geneva for making it that far, but the Eagles were the least formidable opponent Mentor has seen in a district final.

2003: Mentor 71 Brush 62

Mentor's senior class, led by All-Ohio guard Zienkowski, was as talented and deep as any under Krizancic. After a scare in the semifinal against Collinwood, Mentor came out strong against a very talented Brush team led by Ray Mosby and future Ohio State football player Marcel Frost. Mentor went on to lose in the regional final to Massillon...probably the Tigers best team in the last 20-25 years.

2006: Mentor 68 Glenville 67

In all of these district finals, this is the only game that required a buzzer beater to get the win. Senior Adam May, a Holy Cross commit, finally got to the cut down the nets after a couple of disappointing finishes as a sophomore and junior. May was the team high scorer, but sophomore sharpshooter Joey Meyer hit a buzzer-beating three-pointer to give Mentor the win.

2008: Mentor 57 Glenville 50

This Mentor bunch was humorously mixed up for the JV team at times during some summer league and pre-season basketball. Senior Joey Meyer, Sophomore Jaron Crowe, and Freshman Cole Krizancic were all part of this mini starting lineup. If memory serves me right, junior Scott Branchick had one of his best games and was a team-high scorer. Mentor beat Glenville for the third time in eight seasons in the district final.

2009: Mentor 59 Brush 50
2010: Mentor 88 Brush 73
2011: Mentor 76 Brush 67
2012: Mentor 76 Brush 72

If you're a Brush fan, it didn't feel like enough of a rivalry when you lose four in a row. But really, these were very competitive games filled with many talented players. For Mentor, this was the main part of a six year stretch that was the peak of the program. Lots of exciting games in this one, and I went through all of these games in the Euclid thread.

2014: East Tech 79 Mentor 63

After Krizancic started 9-0 at district finals at Euclid, you knew sooner or later that streak had to end. And it ended in quite a fashion. A year after the state championship team beat East Tech by 30 in a semifinal, those Scarabs were ready to play. Coming off the state championship season and still maintaining almost half of the rotation (Conner Krizancic, Caleb Potter, Cade McClure) to go with a rising sophomore in Micah Potter - this was a pretty good Mentor team. East Tech had their number. At the time, I wondered if Coach K was prepared to step down after the 2013-14 season. He got a state title. He got to coach both of his boys. But in watching that game, it would have been a shame to end on that note...which it didn't end.

2016: Solon 64 Mentor 62
2017: Mentor 84 Solon 61
2018: Solon 68 Mentor 62

After a four year stretch against Brush, Mentor has spent the previous three seasons in district finals against Solon. Mentor was incredibly competitive in both losses. In 2016, Mentor was the favorite. In 2018, they fought hard as the underdog. The 2017 district final was one of the best performances ever for a Krizancic team at Euclid. They were control from start to finish. In 2016, sophomore Caden Kryz shot a last second three pointer that nearly went down and would've given Mentor the victory. Last season, Solon was on a mission. Mentor played well, but Sincere Carry and company were just a little too much.
Old 03-08-19, 03:32 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
I think brusharc has created a lot of Mentor fans here on Yappi! Seriously, would it be fair to say that this year's game with Brush is sort of the opposite of last year's game? By that I mean last year it was Mentor with the more experienced team with Brush as the up and comers. This year, Mentor seems to be the younger team. No matter the outcome against Brush, the future looks very bright over the next couple of years at least for Mentor.
Old 03-09-19, 04:55 AM
Freshman

Carnac the Magnifice is on a distinguished road
cards, thank you, that was a great re-cap of Mentor BB history. The first district title for krizancic and company was in 1997 against a Glenville team that was 22-0 and ranked second in the state. That team consisted of a trio of guards comparable to 2010. Seniors Jason Woleben, Jason Schefft, and sophomore Brian Krofcheck were also a heck a trio. All three played in college. This team could have won the state title. Late in the season they went on the road and beat a Cleveland Heights team that was ranked 3rd in the state (led by Mr. Basketball Damon Stringer and a 6'7 swing player Theo Dixon). They followed that the following night on the road by beating a seventh ranked in the state Euclid team led by a 6'10 kid going to I think to Middle Tennessee State (Ii forget his name, Nosse???? but I could be wrong about that). I also believe Mr Football, Tony Fisher was one that team but I may be mistaken about that also. They lost to Akron Firestone in the regional final. Schefft who is was arguably the best point guard in Mentor History fouled out with 2 minutes to play and a 10-12 point lead that they could not hold on to it. The regional final would have been against Cleveland Heights who eventually won the state title.
Old 03-09-19, 05:38 AM
Freshman

Carnac the Magnifice is on a distinguished road
In the district post you mentioned the North Ridgeville regional game as a surprise. I wanted to respond here because others might not care about this part of Mentor history. I do believe Mentor they should/could have won the game but NR was a very good basketball team . They were led by a 6'10 stud named McGhee who was going to Miami of Ohio. Their arguably best player was a 6'6 kid (Spicer????) was going to a major division 2 school. Scott Branchick led Mentor with 27 points. The rest of the team was 6 of 35 from the floor and 2 of 17 from 3. If I remember correctly, some little no name guard hit back to back threes from the same corner with under 3 minutes to play to give NR the lead. Anyhow, thanks for the history.
Old 03-09-19, 09:15 AM
All World

3out2in is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnac the Magnifice View Post
In the district post you mentioned the North Ridgeville regional game as a surprise. I wanted to respond here because others might not care about this part of Mentor history. I do believe Mentor they should/could have won the game but NR was a very good basketball team . They were led by a 6'10 stud named McGhee who was going to Miami of Ohio. Their arguably best player was a 6'6 kid (Spicer????) was going to a major division 2 school. Scott Branchick led Mentor with 27 points. The rest of the team was 6 of 35 from the floor and 2 of 17 from 3. If I remember correctly, some little no name guard hit back to back threes from the same corner with under 3 minutes to play to give NR the lead. Anyhow, thanks for the history.
Good analysis Carnac. The 6'6 kid was Keene Cockburn who later played at West Liberty and the guard who hit those 2 big shots was Jacob Rigsby.