Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-27-19, 11:05 AM
All American

mustang fan is on a distinguished road
I got a chance to the see the Cardinals in action last Friday against Strongsville and came away impressed.

Hard to effectively judge a program based upon one lone game...especially when the opponent has only one win thus far this season...But, this is what I saw.

The team appears to be like other Mentor teams I have watched in the past under coach Krizancic...Solid, aggressive, skilled, disciplined, confident, composed and possessing pretty good depth.

I have always been of the impression that in order to be a top flight team, you have to have a solid point guard...And Mentor does in sophomore Luke Chicone. Chicone is smooth, composed, handles the rock like a veteran, distributes it like one as well and shoots the three effectively when needed. I find it difficult to believe that he has two more years to go at this level!

Starter Luke Floria handles the ball handling chores well and can score. He fills in nicely at point guard when Chicone rests.

The Cardinals have good height, but, not ridiculous height...But, good enough to get the job done obviously. Senior Mason Trubisky is important to this team and Chad Rogers is just a beast that plays with attitude. The other post player's name escapes me for the moment, but, the three give this squad the needed inside presence.

Ian Kipp adds good play off the bench, as like the rest of squad, plays solid "D". He rebounds and can score inside.

The squad can shoot the three...Senior Matt Sabin added depth in this area off the bench.

The team plays aggressive "D", can shoot the "three", move the ball quickly and with ease and they do not turn it over!

If I witnessed any blemishes at all, the Cardinals are so aggressive with their press that sometimes they commit so many defenders to the ball that it left them short on the other end of the court and vulnerable to long passes for scores.

The Cardinals (like always) will be a tough out come tourney time...And consider this, the squad only has three seniors! I look for even more success for them next season!
Old 01-28-19, 08:29 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Good summary from an outsider. The Luke backcourt is a major strength and the biggest reason for success. But like you said, this is a whole team effort. The size of Rogers, Trubisky, and Piks is good enough. The team has enough shooting, defense, ball handlers, and inside scoring to make a run.

I was not at Strongsville. I was surprised in the score at the end of the first and at the half. Surprisingly close.
Old 01-29-19, 12:09 PM
All Ohio

bbfan29 is on a distinguished road
As in most cases, Mentor makes great halftime adjustments. They scored 34 pats in 1st half & 57 in 2nd half.
Old 01-30-19, 07:49 AM
All Yappi

Mentor suffers their first loss of the season yesterday to Shaker, 69-66. Danny Young has always been very prepared for Mentor. His team played hard and well. Mentorís offense couldnít find consistency it needed. Luke Floriea has a great game. Lots of missed layups and much more turnovers than they usually have. Mentor didnít play smart in the final minute and that is what mattered. I expect them to bounce back this weekend against Solon, but it wonít be easy.

Shaker is going to be a tough out at Solon. Well coached, hard working, good defense, rebounding, and just enough scoring.
Old 01-30-19, 08:00 AM
All Ohio

Vike16 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Mentor suffers their first loss of the season yesterday to Shaker, 69-66. Danny Young has always been very prepared for Mentor. His team played hard and well. Mentorís offense couldnít find consistency it needed. Luke Floriea has a great game. Lots of missed layups and much more turnovers than they usually have. Mentor didnít play smart in the final minute and that is what mattered. I expect them to bounce back this weekend against Solon, but it wonít be easy.

Shaker is going to be a tough out at Solon. Well coached, hard working, good defense, rebounding, and just enough scoring.

You guys also have a very tough game on Saturday against Lakota East out of the Cincinnati area. They played the #1 team in the state Moeller pretty tough
Old 01-30-19, 10:42 AM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Where is this Lakota East game at? How did this game get scheduled against a Cinci team?
Old 01-30-19, 11:09 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
Where is this Lakota East game at? How did this game get scheduled against a Cinci team?

It is at Mentor. Not sure why they want to drive all the way up here. The current superintendent of Lakota schools is the former super of Mentor...Matthew Miller. That might play a role, but I donít know. Saw Lakota played Moeller incredibly tough. This will be Mentorís third game in five days, but it will be a long trip for Lakota. Should be a good one.
Old 01-30-19, 01:43 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
It is at Mentor. Not sure why they want to drive all the way up here. The current superintendent of Lakota schools is the former super of Mentor...Matthew Miller. That might play a role, but I donít know. Saw Lakota played Moeller incredibly tough. This will be Mentorís third game in five days, but it will be a long trip for Lakota. Should be a good one.
Have they been ranked anywhere in the polls this year?
Old 02-04-19, 12:58 PM
All Yappi

The current group still has a lot more to prove just during the regular season (road games at Jackson, VASJ, Euclid, and Medina along with a big home game against Lake Catholic), let alone the tournament. But let's consider where this group might stack up in terms of regular season accomplishments/records. In the Krizancic era, the two best teams when looking at regular season records were the 2000-01 and 2009-10 teams. It was a 20-game season compared to 22 games that began in the 2012-13 season. Both of those teams were 17-3, the most number of regular season wins and the highest win percentage in Coach K's career. The 2012-13 state championship team finished 17-5 in the regular season.

This group could very easily surpass that 17 mark. At this point, I would say it would be a pretty big disappointment if they didn't. As long as they finish at least 4-3 in their final seven, they will get 18+ regular season wins for the first time in Krizancic's career. In order to get the highest regular season win percentage, they would need to get 19 wins.

Regular season accolades are fine, but we know Krizancic is all about getting ready for the tournament. Still, it would be kinda cool to see this team unexpectedly find a way to have the most regular season wins in Krizancic's career. I for one was counting them out before the season started. Can't believe we are in February and they still only have one loss. So far, so good. Hope things keep trending upward.
Old 02-09-19, 08:02 AM
All Yappi

Mentor struggles again yesterday against a team that tried to control the tempo with a slow, deliberate style. Last weekend it was Lakota East. Yesterday it was Brunswick. A winís a win at this point. Mentor improves to 15-1. Tuesday at Euclid will be a big one. The Panthers are playing really well right now.

Remaining schedule:
Tues @ Euclid
2/15 @ Medina
2/18 @ VASJ
2/22 vs Elyria
2/23 vs Lake Catholic
2/26 @ Jackson

If they can finish 4-2 in these games, Mentor will finish 19-3...the most number of regular season wins and the highest win percentage ever for Krizancic.
Old 02-12-19, 08:45 PM
All Ohio

Mentor 64. Euclid 53. Mentor clinches at least a tie for GCC league championship with 2 league games left.7
Old 02-12-19, 11:41 PM
Freshman

Carnac the Magnifice is on a distinguished road
With Shaker Heights losing to Solon, Mentor wins outright GCC title
Old 02-13-19, 06:38 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Congrats to Mentor on winning the outright GCC title! They have performed way above my expectations going into the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-19, 07:11 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Love Coach K, but this is the emptiest the cupboard has been since at least 2007. And even that team had an all-district scorer like Joey Meyer. This team has to figure out an identity, because they might have to win in different ways than past teams. No big time scorer on the team. They will have a hard time trying to finish near the top in the GCC.

Here is what I wrote back in November. I really thought I knew what I was talking about. I watched a lot of games last season. No way could I have predicted that the Lukes would have improved by such leaps and bounds. Rogers was completely off my radar due to his baseball injury last year. That trio of unexpected production and skill completely caught me off guard.

I wouldíve guessed a season hovering around .500, maybe a losing season. I wasnít alone in thinking that I am sure. Hard to believe they are 16-1 right now with a realistic chance to get to a record setting regular season of 19+ wins.
Old 02-13-19, 08:52 AM
All Yappi

https://www.news-herald.com/sports/e...1326cb4cc.html
Old 02-13-19, 12:34 PM
All American

Quote:
Here is what I wrote back in November. I really thought I knew what I was talking about...I wouldíve guessed a season hovering around .500, maybe a losing season. I wasnít alone in thinking that I am sure. Hard to believe they are 16-1 right now with a realistic chance to get to a record setting regular season of 19+ wins.
Congrats on the being conference champs!
The sandbagging contained within your November post is on par with what is usually offered up by private school posters.
Old 02-13-19, 02:42 PM
All Ohio

I don t understand how you can say Cardz1234 was sandbagging in November. Only Floria was a regular returning, Trubisky & Chicone played sparingly off the bench, Rogers,Edwards, Pix & Kipp didn’ T play varsity at all & no one else had any varsity playing time either. Gotta give credit where credit is due. I would credit them as a prime example of overachievers and a result of good coaching.
Old 02-13-19, 03:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang fan View Post
Congrats on the being conference champs!
The sandbagging contained within your November post is on par with what is usually offered up by private school posters.
No sandbagging here. I genuinely believed every word. I have followed Mentor basketball over the years better than just about everyone outside of the coaches. I don't follow their summer ball or anything, but I like to think I have a good handle on what is expected the following season. After the last game in the district final last March, I looked carefully at who was coming back. It didn't look good, even with some typical expected growth.

I think I read that Mentor returned only 16% of their scoring from last year. Floriea, Trubisky, and Chicone were the only three with varsity experience last year. None of them looked like guys you could count on to be big time scorers. Considering Floriea was pretty dedicated to football from June-October, I am impressed he has gotten this much better.
Old 02-13-19, 04:12 PM
All American

Quote:
No sandbagging here...
You probably had every right to doubt this squad initially...Pretty remarkable what they have accomplished thus far. I don't think you'll be able to have the same doubts going into next season though.
Old 02-13-19, 04:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang fan View Post
You probably had every right to doubt this squad initially...Pretty remarkable what they have accomplished thus far. I don't think you'll be able to have the same doubts going into next season though.

Not at all. Next year will be the highest expectations for Mentor basketball in several years. Still wonít have a lot of depth, but any time you return your top three scorers from a team like this, expectations should be high.
Old 02-15-19, 09:37 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Lost to Medina wow.
Old 02-16-19, 07:51 AM
All Yappi

I wasnít there, but a bad loss yesterday at Medina, a middle of the road team in the GCC. The final was 74-72. Mentor really struggled with Brunswick last weekend too. Letís see how they handle the loss as they turn around for a trip to Viking Village on Monday to take on VASJ, who also suffered an unexpected road loss yesterday. Floriea led the team yesterday with 27 points. Mentor is now 17-2.
Old 02-16-19, 02:40 PM
All Region

Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Lost to Medina wow.
Anything can happen on senior night
Old 02-16-19, 02:43 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I wasnít there, but a bad loss yesterday at Medina, a middle of the road team in the GCC. The final was 74-72. Mentor really struggled with Brunswick last weekend too. Letís see how they handle the loss as they turn around for a trip to Viking Village on Monday to take on VASJ, who also suffered an unexpected road loss yesterday. Floriea led the team yesterday with 27 points. Mentor is now 17-2.
The VASJ road loss was to a good and underated Benedictine team.Very difficult place to win.That loss wasn't expected in that a program such as VASJ feels they can win any time they step on the court.But those two teams are pretty evenly matched and could meet in Canton in the Regionals.Mentor could easily win Monday and lose just as easy.Losing to Medina at Medina is way more unexpected in comparison.Monday should be entertaining.
Old 02-16-19, 07:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
The VASJ road loss was to a good and underated Benedictine team.Very difficult place to win.That loss wasn't expected in that a program such as VASJ feels they can win any time they step on the court.But those two teams are pretty evenly matched and could meet in Canton in the Regionals.Mentor could easily win Monday and lose just as easy.Losing to Medina at Medina is way more unexpected in comparison.Monday should be entertaining.
I agree that the Medina loss is more surprising. But Benedictine has been on a pretty bad stretch of losing since they lost to Mentor in December.
Old 02-18-19, 09:07 PM
All Yappi

Final: Mentor 81 VASJ 74

A big win for Mentor on the road against the Vikings. VASJ has had a lot of ups, some downs this season. They are still on the short list of teams that are favorites to win a DII state championship. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it out there tonight. Good recovery win for Mentor after falling to Medina. The Cards are 18-2...one win away from clinching Coach Krizancic's best regular season record.

The final three games are home against Elyria, home against Lake Catholic, and at Jackson in the finale.
Old 02-19-19, 12:14 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Congratulations to mentor huge win.
Old 02-19-19, 02:29 AM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Great atmosphere last night. Mentor played well and deserved the win. The Cards were on fire in the third period and VASJ never recovered. The Vikings got it within 6 midway through the 4th but Mentor was just to solid down the stretch. I heard some people place some of the blame on the refs - not me. I thought they were equally bad both ways. They made calls they should not have made or that were wrong for both sides. The difference was rebounding and three point shots. Mentor shot well from behind the arc and seemed to always get a big three when they needed it most. Mentor was very opportunistic on the glass and won a majority of the 50/50 balls and hustle plays. I like playing Mentor win or lose. The two teams and coaches have the utmost respect for one another and even though the squads got after each other they embraced post game. I would much rather play Mentor and lose then to play a lesser opponent and blow them out. These kind of games along with SVSM and Ed's this week are what makes you better come tourney time. Good Luck to the Cards in the Euclid District and hopefully beyond.
Old 02-19-19, 12:08 PM
All Ohio

After hearing about some of the problems at recent HS basketball games, it was a pleasure to watch 2 very good teams,Mentor & VASJ, put on a display of skill, teamwork, intensity & sportsmanship before, during & after the game. That also includes the fans. The 2 coaches had their kids really playing hard & totally under control of their emotions. This game I was typical of the way HS games should be played.
Old 02-19-19, 02:49 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
I could not agree more.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart