Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-23-18, 12:20 PM
All Ohio

bbfan29 is on a distinguished road
Mentor Basketball

Anyone have info on Mentor potential this season. Any good talent? Is Coach K back?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-18, 08:18 AM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Coach K is back and Mentor should again have guards but I'm not sure they have any size. They are also a bit behind many teams in quality practices due to a few kids that played football up until last week.
Old 11-25-18, 05:02 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Senior Mason Trubisky and junior Luke Floriea are the returning players with the most experience. Sophomore Luke Chicone will be a starter. Junior Brandon Piks is a probable starter. Not sure about the 5th starter. I could see sophomore Ian Kipp, but he (along with Floriea/Trubisky) is behind due to football. I think one of the basketball-only guys will get a starting spot.

Love Coach K, but this is the emptiest the cupboard has been since at least 2007. And even that team had an all-district scorer like Joey Meyer. This team has to figure out an identity, because they might have to win in different ways than past teams. No big time scorer on the team. They will have a hard time trying to finish near the top in the GCC.
Old 12-09-18, 02:25 PM
All Yappi

https://www.news-herald.com/sports/s...0c343e119.html

Mentor beats Strongsville on Friday to start off 2-0. Luke Chicone has scored 20+ in both games. Floriea is off to a good start too. Getting Ian Kipp back will provide the team with more size, athleticism, and depth. Not sure if this group is one that will be just competitive in big games or will be able to pull off some wins against the creme of the schedule (Brunswick, Shaker, Solon, VASJ, Jackson, Lake Catholic). Strongsville is projected to finish near/at the bottom of the GCC. Mentor's first win was against North. In other words, a lot left to prove. It starts on Friday as Mentor travels to Shaker. The Raiders have gotten blasted by Cleveland Heights and Brunswick so far.
Old 12-14-18, 11:01 PM
All Yappi

Mentor put together a very nice win tonight, hanging on for an 80-79 win at Shaker. It was my first time seeing the team in person. I thought the boys played very well. Junior Chad Rogers led Mentor with 25 huge points. He was a physical presence underneath with a great touch around the basket. Also hit a couple three pointers. Sophomore Luke Chicone (20 points) played extremely well. He has taken great leaps from last year. Will be nice to watch him grow and develop over the next three seasons.

Lots of fouls made for a long and disjointed kind of game. But it was an exciting atmosphere and a very entertaining game. Shaker is definitely down, but it was still a nice win...especially on the road.
Old 12-21-18, 09:44 PM
All Ohio

I know it’s early in the season, but I was really impressed with Mentor s win over Solon by 20 points tonite. With only 1 experienced guy back & 4 varsity rookies, they played like a veteran team tonite. Don t know how far they will go, but they could surprise a lot of teams. Kudos to the coaching staff for getting them ready for league play.
Old 12-30-18, 07:32 AM
All Yappi

Unfortunately, I missed both of Mentorís games this weekend. They had two big wins. First on Friday over their neighbor, South. A convincing win over a team that gave Lake Catholic their only loss. And last night, a two point win over a talented Benedictine team that has two D1 commits.

Who would have thought this group would be undefeated at this point? Kudos to the players and coaches. They are gaining confidence and making others aware that this is still Mentor basketball.

The next one is against the always tough, Brunswick. Ever since joining in the same conference (NOC, later GCC), I donít think any league team has given Mentor more trouble than Brunswick. Should be a good one with the only two teams still unbeaten in the league.
Old 12-30-18, 09:04 AM
All World

I was at the South game and left impressed with Mentor and unimpressed with South. I'm guessing Lake had an off night to lose to South. That being said South could have looked bad because of the way Mentor played. When Mentor is hot from 3 like they were and locked in on defense - they are very good. The guards played very well and moved the ball and they were all knocking down their shots. They also got several turnovers from their press. This is your typical Mentor team. Very good guard play, enough size to not be beaten up to bad inside, disciplined, well conditioned and extremely well coached. So long as the outside shot is dropping with some consistently they will be very good. I was more impressed seeing that they beat Benedictine on Saturday. I know Bene is missing their head coach but that is a solid win. Any thoughts of Mentor being down is premature. I still feel that Brush is the favorite in the Euclid District though. IMO
Old 12-30-18, 11:16 AM
All Ohio

I was also at the South game & have a slightly different view. IMO, Mentor took South completely away from their normal game with their aggressive defense which allowed them to go down the court quickly for the open shots. South has a couple of real nice big men & pretty solid guards, so I think they will be very competitive throughout the season. As for the Bene s game, Mentor showed their patience & maturity in the 4 th quarter. They are still a very young team, returning just 1 experienced player from last year (Flores)& have surprised a lot of basketball people thus far.
Old 12-30-18, 11:30 AM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Coach K is still the best in the biz.
Old 12-30-18, 12:52 PM
All Ohio

Didnít know this, but newspaper had Mentor with only 2 turnovers in South game. That is a really impressive stat.
Old 12-31-18, 02:50 PM
All Region

mentfan is on a distinguished road
One thing you can tell about Coach Kís teams at Mentor. They are well disciplined, well conditioned, fundamentally sound & well coached & all can shoot the three. He wins consistently with mediocre talent & has had only 2 college D1 players in his 25 years at Mentor. In fact he won the state championships W/o any of the 2.
Old 12-31-18, 03:35 PM
All World

That is a bit false and I can tell you the talent Coach K gets is far from mediocre. He gets football and baseball players in many cases that have scholarships in those sports. He also has coachable and intelligent kids - people overlook how important that is. He coaches the kids hard and pushes the kids past where they feel they can go. Year in and year out they are the best or close to the best conditioned teams. The kids may not be D1 in basketball but they are FAR from mediocre.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 12-31-18, 04:11 PM
All District

Unlimited Potential is on a distinguished road
Mentor might not have as many high end prospects, but they have tons of depth in all sports. 2700 students in the school. That's 1300-1400 boys.
It's rare you won't have 8-10 to make a very solid basketball team with those numbers.

Coach K is among the best in the biz as well, so that makes for a winning program.

Good coaching.
Good youth programs.
Numbers.
Another rare thing Mentor has, football and basketball coaches get along and help each other out. No trying to get players to only play 1 sport.
Old 12-31-18, 05:07 PM
All Region

[QUOTE=Unlimited Potential;7222380]Mentor might not have as many high end prospects, but they have tons of depth in all sports. 2700 students in the school. That's 1300-1400 boys.
It's rare you won't have 8-10 to make a very solid basketball team with those numbers.

What was Mentors program like before Coach K got there? They had the same enrollment. My statement of mediocre talent was meant ďby comparison to other successful programs.Ē The Mentor kids really work hard to excel. Meant no disrespect to th kids.
Old 12-31-18, 07:45 PM
All World

The program was OK - nothing special before Coach K. He is elite and people often underestimate how important great coaching is. They are not solid year in and year out by accident. It will be interesting to see what happens when he leaves. If I had to guess there will be a pretty significant regression.
Old 12-31-18, 08:11 PM
All American

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Players make teams great, but coaches make programs great.
Old 12-31-18, 09:53 PM
All Yappi

Calling them ďmediocreĒ is very unfair. They arenít D1 college basketball players, but over the years talent is present. Zienkowski, May, Meyer, Crowe, Krizancicís, Fritts brothers, Foreman, Potters, Korsok, Zalba, etc. The state championship team had five or so guys that could have played college basketball. Probably none at the DI level, but some DII guys. Foreman ended up at Mount Union. Potter, Krizancic, and McClure were DII caliber basketball athletes. A little surprised a DII school didnít throw Foreman an offer.

Mentor has produced good high school talent over the years. Just not the DI athlete. Those are born, not made.
Old 01-01-19, 10:55 AM
All Region

You are right Cardz1234 about using the word mediocre. Poor choice of words on my part. What I should of said was ďa little less talented than the talent at schools like SVSM, St.Eds, st.Iggy, Garfield Hts, Shaker Hts, Cleve.Hts, Euclid, VASJ etc.Ē If I offended anyone by my choice of words I apologize.
Old 01-01-19, 02:20 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentfan View Post
You are right Cardz1234 about using the word mediocre. Poor choice of words on my part. What I should of said was ďa little less talented than the talent at schools like SVSM, St.Eds, st.Iggy, Garfield Hts, Shaker Hts, Cleve.Hts, Euclid, VASJ etc.Ē If I offended anyone by my choice of words I apologize.

Your point is that Krizancic and the coaches have done a great job over the years in maximizing the talent. That is very true. This year (so far) is as great of an example as any.

I for one was in the group of people who underestimated this team. I didnít see the potential of several of the players. I thought Chicone would have to take a huge jump, similar to the one Cole made from freshman to sophomore season. So far, he has done that. Unheralded JV guys from last season have really stepped up. Rogers came back from injury to be a real physical presence. Floriea, somehow while focusing on football primarily, has really grown as a point guard.
Old 01-04-19, 09:01 PM
All Region

Mentor wins big one at Brunswick 88-67. Looked impressive & confident
Old 01-05-19, 03:09 PM
All Ohio

In Mentorís last 3 games, they committed a total of 6 or 7 turnovers, last night at Brunswick, they had 1 TO. That stat will win the close games. Thatís a stat most fans overlook, but is one of the most critical.
Old 01-05-19, 09:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan29 View Post
In Mentorís last 3 games, they committed a total of 6 or 7 turnovers, last night at Brunswick, they had 1 TO. That stat will win the close games. Thatís a stat most fans overlook, but is one of the most critical.

That is a very telling stat. The last time a Mentor team came out of nowhere to really shock the area, it was several years back when Cole was a freshman. Sophomore Jaron Crowe and senior Joey Meyer were also guards. The team was incredibly small that year. One of the things that helped that group overachieve was their ability to limit turnovers. Probably the best at that out of all of Krizancicís teams. It gave them as many opportunities to score and fewer fast break opportunities for their defense to deal with.

This yearís team is off to a strong start. Floriea and Chicone are leading the way in taking care of the ball. But that is a team stat. Obviously all of the guys are being very, very smart with the basketball right now.
Old 01-08-19, 10:00 AM
All Yappi

Anybody surprised that Mentor, 8-0, didnít get any love from the voters in the first AP poll? On the surface, this is a big name, with a big time coach, a recent state title, and lots of basketball success that is undefeated. Shouldnít matter either way, but I am just surprised. To be fair, Mentor hasnít knocked off a top 15 D1 team yet.

Mentor is home tonight against Euclid (3-4, 2-2 in GCC). The Cards will be favored, but this series in basketball has been pretty tight for over the years. Euclid has some talent and some size. Three starters are in the 6í5 or 6í6 range. Junior PG Garvin Clarke has several mid major offers right now. Has been a starter since he was a freshman. That will be a big test for Floriea and whoever else guards him.
Old 01-09-19, 12:18 PM
All Ohio

Good win for Mentor over Euclid 72-61. This team can score points inside & outside as well as any past Mentor teams. They are very well balanced & unselfish. Will be interesting to see how far they go this season, realizing they are still a very young team.
Old 01-13-19, 08:12 AM
All Yappi

10-0...what a start for this team. The Lukes are both playing at a really high level. Their ability to score and set up teammates (with very limited turnovers) is making this offense very potent.

In looking at Mentorís schedule, the most challenging remaining games are road games at Jackson, VASJ, and Solon. Home rematches against Brunswick and Shaker will also be a challenge. Itís not crazy to think Mentor could win 20 games this season. Lots of work to do though.
Old 01-13-19, 11:12 AM
All Ohio

Also, Mentor s starting 5 are all averaging double figures & very few turnovers.
Old 01-13-19, 11:49 AM
All Region

satriani is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
10-0...what a start for this team. The Lukes are both playing at a really high level. Their ability to score and set up teammates (with very limited turnovers) is making this offense very potent.

In looking at Mentor’s schedule, the most challenging remaining games are road games at Jackson, VASJ, and Solon. Home rematches against Brunswick and Shaker will also be a challenge. It’s not crazy to think Mentor could win 20 games this season. Lots of work to do though.
Coach K is an outstanding coach, one of the best in the state IMO. Next week's game at Jackson should be fantastic. Two well coached, fundamentally sound teams, battling on the court with rosters of home grown talent.
Old 01-21-19, 10:58 PM
All Yappi

I think Mentor might have to finish undefeated to get recognition from the statewide AP voters. Crazy to me that pretty much nobody in the state thinks a team of Mentorís notoriety at 11-0 is not a top 10 team. My brain knows that the AP poll accolades arenít worth anything. But my heart just thinks some of those schools havenít had better starts than Mentor. Oh well. Keep chugging along, Mentor. Will be 12-0 headed into next weekís poll.

For those that assume most AP voters just look at name alone, this is clearly not evidence to that claim. Otherwise, an undefeated recent state champ with lots of yearly success would surely be ranked. Clearly, a team like Logan (a school I honestly never heard of...had to Google them) with their 9-2 record has a greater claim.

Ok, off my soap box now.
Old 01-22-19, 07:54 AM
All World

Trust me there is injustice every year in the AP poll. Most voters have their heads in their rear. The example I will use because I experienced it was the loaded VASJ team that won state in 2015 was #7 in the nation overall (USA Today)and ranked #4 or #5 in the AP D3 poll. It is often comical. I have seen Mentor twice this year and they are good. They are my favorite to come out of the Euclid District - which might be the toughest district in Ohio this season.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart