Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-15-19, 02:42 PM
All Ohio

PeterDragon is on a distinguished road
Very disappointed in the enquirer for changing their website. It's hard to follow high school hoops when you can't find a city side schedule.
Old 01-15-19, 05:20 PM
All Ohio

CoreyAlbertson513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Jock and Chad View Post
Mark is shooting 30% (from the field and 3) this year...in D3 high school basketball..in the CHL.. which I love but is not a basketball powerhouse.....and 57% from the line...any questions? He looks a full step slower than he did as a frosh...I have seen him play maybe 12 times the last 3 years. He has a passable set shot but no real jump shot...in reality he needs to lose 15 pounds and work on his handle which is also average...I guess some Northwest Yahoo State might give him a look but I stand by my assessment. If Damani couldn't break in and 3 time POY Lonnie Grayson didn't break in then Mark has tough sledding with those numbers...Lonnie did go to West Point which regardless of basketball (I hear he is playing well) is an amazing accomplishment and kudos for serving our great nation!
To clarify on Lonnie Grayson.... Most of the armed forces universities over-sign kids and send most, sometimes all, of their freshmen to their "academy team" which is essentially a fifth year prep program or a JV squad. From there only a fraction end up on the varsity program for their true school - army, navy, air force, citadel (not 100% they do this but other three definitely do).

Lonnie is in the very small minority who went straight out of high school onto the varsity NCAA D1 team. He has started some games this year, including a nationally televised game early in the season against Duke.

Got to know Lonnie and his family over the years; tremendous people!

I know you weren't criticizing Lonnie, just wanted to provide a little update.
Old 01-15-19, 05:22 PM
All Ohio

CoreyAlbertson513 is on a distinguished road
As for Damani McEntire, he is still playing his post-grad year at Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia. Year in and year out, Hargrave is always one of the top-ten post-grad teams in the country.

The last I heard, Damani was not getting a ton of playing time in their close games; however, Moeller's Jeremiah Davenport might be their best player (no worse then second best player) and Hughes' Giovanni Santiago is a huge piece and the starting point guard.

Hopefully Damani has a couple big games at the right time and finds a good fit for himself. He certainly has NCAA D1 physical tools with body, athleticism and ability do defend.
Old 01-16-19, 08:51 AM
All Ohio

Youknow is on a distinguished road
Asking for a friend if you lose by 20 in a holiday tourney out of town does it count against your record? Or do you only count your wins? Just wondering.
Old 01-16-19, 09:04 AM
Junior Varsity

scsweeper19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDragon View Post
Very disappointed in the enquirer for changing their website. It's hard to follow high school hoops when you can't find a city side schedule.
Does this also mean that there is no longer a published coaches poll??? If there is can someone provide the link.
Old 01-16-19, 09:06 AM
Varsity

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youknow View Post
Asking for a friend if you lose by 20 in a holiday tourney out of town does it count against your record? Or do you only count your wins? Just wondering.
That's funny....
seems to be teams in almost every league that plays that cute little game
Old 01-16-19, 11:32 AM
All American

yappimember67 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What did I miss?
Old 01-16-19, 04:44 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by yappimember67 View Post
What did I miss?
Just certain teams that claim to only have a couple losses and choose to not count a 20pt loss in a holiday tourney
Old 01-16-19, 05:31 PM
All American

Quote:
Just certain teams that claim to only have a couple losses and choose to not count a 20pt loss in a holiday tourney
Dutchtown is pretty good I guess
Old 01-16-19, 05:33 PM
All American

Anyone see Wyoming and Purcell play? I didn't get to see.

Not surprised Purcell won, thought it would have been closer. I saw Edmonds only had 3 points on 1-16 shooting, which has to be one of the worst shooting games of his career. Overall, I don't think Wyoming is deep enough to beat a team like Purcell.
Old 01-16-19, 06:17 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Anyone see Wyoming and Purcell play? I didn't get to see.

Not surprised Purcell won, thought it would have been closer. I saw Edmonds only had 3 points on 1-16 shooting, which has to be one of the worst shooting games of his career. Overall, I don't think Wyoming is deep enough to beat a team like Purcell.
I did. Purcell was way to much. To big to fast to strong. Wyoming had no answer to Purcellís defense or defending Purcellís bigs down low. Edmonds had a rough night. He was always heavily defended. Didnít get a lot of wide open shots. Crazy part is Purcellís leading scorer Dotson barely played due to fouls and Purcell started 3 bench guys. The bench play was a huge problem for Wyoming.
Old 01-17-19, 08:44 AM
Varsity

Sports Jock and Chad is on a distinguished road
See my original assessment of Edmonds in the beginning of this thread...solid but not great player...thrives off of bad help defense to get open looks...can't get his own...needs too much space to get off a shot...can't play against lengthy defenders...gained too much weight for football...lost a step in bball. That said, Any CHL team would take him as their point guard...if he played point guard instead of jacking up 15-20 shots a game. Look at all the scoring leaders in the CHL...huge numbers against bad teams and so so against good teams.
Old 01-17-19, 09:50 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Jock and Chad View Post
See my original assessment of Edmonds in the beginning of this thread...solid but not great player...thrives off of bad help defense to get open looks...can't get his own...needs too much space to get off a shot...can't play against lengthy defenders...gained too much weight for football...lost a step in bball. That said, Any CHL team would take him as their point guard...if he played point guard instead of jacking up 15-20 shots a game. Look at all the scoring leaders in the CHL...huge numbers against bad teams and so so against good teams.
He really did seem to bulk up over the past year - probably too much. He was never extremely quick, but he lost some of the quickness he had for sure.

I think if he was on a team with more scorers he could take on a different type of "point guard" role, but he's really the only good guard they have. He's kind of in the position where he needs to take a lot of shots.
Old 01-17-19, 10:00 AM
Varsity

Wyoming has had very good younger level teams for years but many of those players were never developed or left the program entirely...They have a solid big 3...I find it hard to believe in a school of that size with so much other athletic success there aren't 3-4 other guys that could be good? I have heard some unsubstantiated rumors over the years that the program is very "cliquey".
Old 01-17-19, 12:25 PM
All Region

MooseJaw is on a distinguished road
When I heard “in a school that size”, it made me think...Wyoming isn’t very big but by CHL standards I guess it is. Did some quick research and found some interesting numbers on enrollments of CHL high schools:

Indian Hill 651
Wyoming 642
Taylor 562
Mariemont 530
Finneytown 445
Reading 428
Madeira 421
Deer Park 358

In basketball maybe these difference aren’t that big of a deal but in a sport like football the difference can be pretty significant.

Last edited by MooseJaw; 01-17-19 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 01-17-19, 01:50 PM
Varsity

Didn't you ever wonder why these schools usually rule the roost in the CHL? And truthfully I think it makes a big difference in all sports...just more to pick from for teams...that is why the last few years when Wyoming was only playing 5 and carrying 8 it raised my eyebrow
Old 01-17-19, 09:25 PM
Freshman

chrisbagsIH is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJaw View Post
When I heard ďin a school that sizeĒ, it made me think...Wyoming isnít very big but by CHL standards I guess it is. Did some quick research and found some interesting numbers on enrollments of CHL high schools:

Indian Hill 651
Wyoming 642
Taylor 562
Mariemont 530
Finneytown 445
Reading 428
Madeira 421
Deer Park 358

In basketball maybe these difference arenít that big of a deal but in a sport like football the difference can be pretty significant.

Any chance you could find number of boys in each school? Just wondering because Iím pretty sure thatís how they decide divisions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-19, 09:52 PM
All Region

MooseJaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbagsIH View Post
Any chance you could find number of boys in each school? Just wondering because I’m pretty sure that’s how they decide divisions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Got these numbers from OHSAA site - these contradict the other numbers I got from another site. I would think that the OHSAA is more up to date and accurate

Indian Hill Boys/Girls 251/235
Wyoming 229/254
Taylor 230/229
Mariemont 197/191
Finneytown 178/151
Madeira 178/148
Reading 166/167
Deer Park 129/152

Last edited by MooseJaw; 01-17-19 at 10:00 PM. Reason: more data
Old 01-17-19, 10:52 PM
All Region

sportster57 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJaw View Post
Got these numbers from OHSAA site - these contradict the other numbers I got from another site. I would think that the OHSAA is more up to date and accurate

Indian Hill Boys/Girls 251/235
Wyoming 229/254
Taylor 230/229
Mariemont 197/191
Finneytown 178/151
Madeira 178/148
Reading 166/167
Deer Park 129/152

I believe the difference is because OHSAA does not count Seniors when calculating the division breakdown

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-19, 12:08 PM
Varsity

Wild night last night...Finneytown over Mariemont?! After Mariemont took DP to overtime...Reading over DP?! Indian Hill easily over Madeira?! the only no brainer was Wyoming over Taylor..outside of Wyoming this is the wild wild west..should be a good second half of the conference season...
Old 01-19-19, 08:00 PM
All American

CHL is crazy this year. Wyoming the only good team. Pretty even after that.

Where are all the Deer Park posters from last year???
Old 01-19-19, 08:33 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
CHL is crazy this year. Wyoming the only good team. Pretty even after that.

My thoughts exactly!
Old 01-20-19, 10:35 PM
All Ohio

Purcell dominates deer park! Hocker warmed up but didnít play. Honestly wouldnít have mattered.
Old 01-22-19, 10:39 AM
Junior Varsity

scsweeper19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Purcell dominates deer park! Hocker warmed up but didnít play. Honestly wouldnít have mattered.
It was very clear that Hocker playing would not have caused DP to win against Purcell. What is clear is DP is missing him in the CHL, he was the league leader in rebounds, blocks, shooting over 50% from the field and was averaging 10 points a game when he went out. DP doesn't have another big that brings anything close to that production. DP doesn't have a low post threat with out Hocker out there and it cause DP to all run around the 3pt line and look for drives. Teams can sit back and clog the paint and force DP in to tough 2 or 3 pt shots. While Mark and Steve can hit the 3 I would not classify them as jump shooters.
Old 01-22-19, 11:32 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JElder View Post
Were you at the game? If so, who were the ladies from DP that did nothing but scream at officials the entire game?
I was. They were sitting about 15ft from me. Iím not sure i think one was Gentryís mom. Donít think she was yelling as much as they other one though. She was bad.
Old 01-22-19, 11:57 AM
Varsity

Quote:
I was. They were sitting about 15ft from me. Iím not sure i think one was Gentryís mom. Donít think she was yelling as much as they other one though. She was bad.
Coach Gentry and the AD must not have shared that email from the state, as requested
Old 01-22-19, 12:43 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Rambis View Post
Coach Gentry and the AD must not have shared that email from the state, as requested
What email is that?
Old 01-22-19, 01:53 PM
All Ohio

Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yelling at officials, maybe?
Old 01-22-19, 02:05 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
Yelling at officials, maybe?
yes
Old 01-22-19, 02:49 PM
All American

I believe Gentry will be gone soon anyways. Then Deer Park will go back to normal.