Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-08-19, 12:04 PM
All Ohio

Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilsco View Post
Ha! The Purcell kid was the tallest kid on that team. (Of course, at that time Mariemont's biggest rival was Terrace Park
The funny part of that story to me was that he wasn't even playing ball at Purcell.
Old 01-08-19, 09:48 PM
All American

yappimember67 is on a distinguished road
Some close games tonight...

Wyoming over Mariemont, 53-46... closer than expected

Deer Park over Indian Hill, 57-51... IH was up 3 going into 4th.

Interested to see Deer Park and Wyoming play Purcell later this month. Wyoming should give them a good game at home, I think Deer Park could lose by 10+.
Old 01-09-19, 08:01 AM
All Region

MooseJaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yappimember67 View Post
Some close games tonight...

Wyoming over Mariemont, 53-46... closer than expected

Deer Park over Indian Hill, 57-51... IH was up 3 going into 4th.

Interested to see Deer Park and Wyoming play Purcell later this month. Wyoming should give them a good game at home, I think Deer Park could lose by 10+.
Agree, I think Wyoming will give them a very good game. Deer Park Elite was a much better team last year and Purcell had them beat - had they not missed 19 4th quarter/overtime free throws. Purcell beat a pretty good St X team by 13 last week, I think Purcell beats them this year by 10
Old 01-09-19, 11:34 AM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJaw View Post
Purcell beat a pretty good St X team by 13 last week, I think Purcell beats them this year by 10
Pretty good X team?! They are not good. X, Elder, and Lasalle are all pretty down this year. Purcell beat Elder and X and lost to LS by 3. I think Wyoming could beat all three. However, I think Purcell beats Wyoming by 10 or so.
Old 01-09-19, 11:45 AM
All American

UnTouchableVoL33 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UnTouchableVoL33
Only 5 Elite players left any injuries or foul trouble its back to regular Deer Park players and you really notice the difference with 4 of them only playing for example Hocker didn't play last night at Indian Hill & Wise didn't play at Taylor
Old 01-09-19, 11:50 AM
All American

Deer Park at Indian Hill game 1/8/19 last night
Old 01-09-19, 10:04 PM
All Ohio

Youknow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnTouchableVoL33 View Post

Deer Park at Indian Hill game 1/8/19 last night
Better get better than that. Where are all of Deer Parks guys? I see hocker is hurt (how serious? Heard one coach said a while) but i thought they had 2 other decent size bench players
Old 01-10-19, 12:50 AM
All Ohio

coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
Totally just a rumor but it's a source I trust.

I've heard that Hocker is done.
Old 01-10-19, 07:27 AM
Varsity

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltfan76 View Post
Totally just a rumor but it's a source I trust.

I've heard that Hocker is done.
As in injured or dismissed?
Old 01-10-19, 11:26 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Rambis View Post
Injured I believe
Old 01-10-19, 03:35 PM
All Ohio

coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Injured and shutting it down to prepare for college football.
Old 01-11-19, 06:51 AM
All American

Cantrell
Quote:
Now....Reading's success came with bensman and his recruits as well. They were NOT Reading kids.
5 of the 8 kids that played in the State title game were from Reading. Next year the team was very good with all Reading kids. Beat NCH with Walker and Mayo. Lost in Regional championship. Deer Park is like Reading the year after state, the bench isn't as strong. Don't count Deer Park out. It really is hard to get up for league games after winning State.
Old 01-11-19, 07:38 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrell View Post
5 of the 8 kids that played in the State title game were from Reading. Next year the team was very good with all Reading kids. Beat NCH with Walker and Mayo. Lost in Regional championship. Deer Park is like Reading the year after state, the bench isn't as strong. Don't count Deer Park out. It really is hard to get up for league games after winning State.
"It's hard to get up for league games after winning state"

That's an embarrassing comment. Speaks volumes about the athletes if that's accurate.
Old 01-11-19, 09:28 AM
Junior Varsity

scsweeper19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youknow View Post
Better get better than that. Where are all of Deer Parks guys? I see hocker is hurt (how serious? Heard one coach said a while) but i thought they had 2 other decent size bench players
The biggest thing this year with Deer Park is the short bench at this point in the season, even though during the IH game the bench was able to give them some good minutes from a defensive and effort stand point. I think a big thing that is missing this year is a player like Damani, someone who will take over a game on either side of the ball like Damani did last year. Damani put the team on his back in a few games last year like the game at IH and willed them to wins. The loss of Hocker will be big, he was avergering a double double, and was leading the CHL in rebounds and blocks. They dont have a player that will be able to replace that.
Old 01-11-19, 08:16 PM
All American

Mariemont leading Deer Park at half 37-34. Weíll see if that holds up.
Old 01-12-19, 09:59 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Deer Park 70, Mariemont 63
Madeira 55, Taylor 43
Wyoming 60, Indian Hill 43
Reading 65, Finneytown 29

Wyoming rolling along.
Mariemont was up on DP at half and Taylor led Madeira at half. Neither team could hold on.
Old 01-12-19, 10:37 AM
Varsity

flash18 is on a distinguished road
What's up with the Burns kid from Deer Park? Transferred to Batavia and is ineligible? Anyone know what's up?
Old 01-12-19, 11:01 AM
All American

SirStanley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
Deer Park 70, Mariemont 63
Madeira 55, Taylor 43
Wyoming 60, Indian Hill 43
Reading 65, Finneytown 29

Wyoming rolling along.
Mariemont was up on DP at half and Taylor led Madeira at half. Neither team could hold on.
Madeira was also leading Deer Park at halftime before losing by 3. With Hocker out (prayers for his full recovery; tremendous athlete/competitor), CHL's teams from second to eighth are as tight as I can remember. Wyoming stands alone.

yj_runfan, you're going to have some fun with the future Taylor teams. A lot of very good young players.
Old 01-13-19, 09:39 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash18 View Post
What's up with the Burns kid from Deer Park? Transferred to Batavia and is ineligible? Anyone know what's up?
hes playing & active on Batavia
Old 01-14-19, 07:40 AM
All American

Did the Cincinnati Enquirer remove the high school stats from their website? Or am I just unable to find it?
Old 01-14-19, 10:08 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Did the Cincinnati Enquirer remove the high school stats from their website? Or am I just unable to find it?
They did something silly with it. Cant find it anywhere
Old 01-14-19, 10:18 AM
Freshman

IAMGREAT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJaw View Post
Agree, I think Wyoming will give them a very good game. Deer Park Elite was a much better team last year and Purcell had them beat - had they not missed 19 4th quarter/overtime free throws. Purcell beat a pretty good St X team by 13 last week, I think Purcell beats them this year by 10
Wyoming should be able to pull to upset over Purcell however, Deer Park need to keep it close but this game will come down to bench play. That is when the real Deer Park will appear and the game will swing heavily in favor of Purcell.
Old 01-14-19, 10:20 AM
Varsity

Quote:
They did something silly with it. Cant find it anywhere
The enquirer chose to not renew with it's stat provider.

ALL STATS and SCHEDULES ....GONE!!!
Old 01-14-19, 10:23 AM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I asked the Enquirer two weeks ago and the Sports Department indicated they dropped their contract with Stats company to "save $'s"--I guess it means we have to look at each of the leagues websites to follow along--except the Southern Buckeye Conference doesn't have a league website--they tied into the Enquirer site. Not sure why the Enquirer didn't let HS fans know about the change!
Old 01-14-19, 11:29 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMGREAT View Post
Wyoming should be able to pull to upset over Purcell however, Deer Park need to keep it close but this game will come down to bench play. That is when the real Deer Park will appear and the game will swing heavily in favor of Purcell.
Why would Wyoming beating Purcell be an upset? Arenít they undefeated and like top 7 in div 2? Wyoming and deer park could have the same down fall against a team like Purcell. Both Benches are short. If hocker doesnít play vs Purcell this game could be 10-15+
Old 01-14-19, 03:06 PM
All Ohio

CoreyAlbertson513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Jock and Chad View Post
Wise D1? That's laughable...listed at 6'5 he is maybe 6'3 (reminds me of the movie Fletch..."He's 6'5...6'9 with the afro) so he is a tweener...not quick enough to be a PG...way too small to be a 2 in D1...he can launch deep 3's but Madeira was in a zone...Against Taft he was 3-19 with a hand in his face...remember all those D1 offers the DP guys had last year?..lol...McEntire ended up with 1 actual offer from NC A&T and turned it down and is in a prep school...D1 is really hard...look up a post from The Lima HS coach about the reality of that situation. It is spot on. CJ Fleming from Lasalle a few years back could play circles around Wise and he is at Bellermine...which is a top quality D2 school..the other thing a bunch of former players talk about is: in college you are not the GOAT like high school...everyone there was a stud somewhere...and college coaches unlike Gentry actually expect you to play hard defense of which Mr. Wise gives about 25% effort at best...
This is laughable. Do some research into the average height of guards in NCAA D1 (outside of the power conferences) and you'll find that Mark is plenty equipped at 6'3. The overwhelming sentiment from college coaches on Mark is that they like him because he plays hard, contrary to your claim of "25% effort defensively". Also, Mark is playing through injury this year, as has been well documented; so don't expect him to shoot his normal numbers.

As for CJ Fleming, he chose Bellarmine based on fit; if he had waited until the spring of his senior year he could've found a D1 home somewhere. However, Bellarmine would likely defeat at least 50 bad D1 teams (believe there are like 345 total D1's this year). Those levels are deceiving.
Old 01-14-19, 06:51 PM
All American

Quote:
Why would Wyoming beating Purcell be an upset? Arenít they undefeated and like top 7 in div 2? Wyoming and deer park could have the same down fall against a team like Purcell. Both Benches are short. If hocker doesnít play vs Purcell this game could be 10-15+
I wouldn't say Wyoming winning would be an "upset", but personally I'd be surprised if Wyoming wins. I think Purcell is the better team and, even though we are somewhat early in the season, I think Purcell has played a tougher schedule. Wyoming has really only played 2 close games, and one of those was against Mariemont. Not that it means too much, but they have a common opponent in Clark Montessori - Wyoming won by 23 at home, PM won by 24 at Clark.

I think Purcell wins by single digits. Wyoming really falls off after Edmonds, Prater and Walker. Purcell is going to put on a lot of defensive pressure and Wyoming doesn't have a lot of ball handling outside of Edmonds.

Should be a good game, wish I could make it
Old 01-15-19, 12:15 AM
All Ohio

Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyAlbertson513 View Post
However, Bellarmine would likely defeat at least 50 bad D1 teams (believe there are like 345 total D1's this year).
That's probably an underestimate. Bellarmine opened the season at Louisville (yes I know it was just an exhibition but Louisville was playing their starters), was leading midway through the second half and only lost by 11. There are enough cross-division games each year for Massey to issue a consolidated computer ranking for all of NCAA--he has Bellarmine at #125 overall, about equal to Bowling Green and better than more than half of D1.
Old 01-15-19, 09:26 AM
Varsity

Sports Jock and Chad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyAlbertson513 View Post
This is laughable. Do some research into the average height of guards in NCAA D1 (outside of the power conferences) and you'll find that Mark is plenty equipped at 6'3. The overwhelming sentiment from college coaches on Mark is that they like him because he plays hard, contrary to your claim of "25% effort defensively". Also, Mark is playing through injury this year, as has been well documented; so don't expect him to shoot his normal numbers.

As for CJ Fleming, he chose Bellarmine based on fit; if he had waited until the spring of his senior year he could've found a D1 home somewhere. However, Bellarmine would likely defeat at least 50 bad D1 teams (believe there are like 345 total D1's this year). Those levels are deceiving.
Mark is shooting 30% (from the field and 3) this year...in D3 high school basketball..in the CHL.. which I love but is not a basketball powerhouse.....and 57% from the line...any questions? He looks a full step slower than he did as a frosh...I have seen him play maybe 12 times the last 3 years. He has a passable set shot but no real jump shot...in reality he needs to lose 15 pounds and work on his handle which is also average...I guess some Northwest Yahoo State might give him a look but I stand by my assessment. If Damani couldn't break in and 3 time POY Lonnie Grayson didn't break in then Mark has tough sledding with those numbers...Lonnie did go to West Point which regardless of basketball (I hear he is playing well) is an amazing accomplishment and kudos for serving our great nation!
Old 01-15-19, 01:04 PM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Jock and Chad View Post
Mark is shooting 30% (from the field and 3) this year...in D3 high school basketball..in the CHL.. which I love but is not a basketball powerhouse.....and 57% from the line...any questions? He looks a full step slower than he did as a frosh...I have seen him play maybe 12 times the last 3 years. He has a passable set shot but no real jump shot...in reality he needs to lose 15 pounds and work on his handle which is also average...I guess some Northwest Yahoo State might give him a look but I stand by my assessment. If Damani couldn't break in and 3 time POY Lonnie Grayson didn't break in then Mark has tough sledding with those numbers...Lonnie did go to West Point which regardless of basketball (I hear he is playing well) is an amazing accomplishment and kudos for serving our great nation!
As of now according to Verbal Commits Wise has offers from Kent St. (which came almost a year ago) Florida Atlantic, and Detroit (which came just before the season) I'm with you in that I'm surprised a few D1's have offered him. He seems like a very good D2 player but I don't see D1. Obviously it's still a great accomplishment. I don't know how Grayson didn't get better looks than he did.