Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-15-19, 05:00 AM
All Ohio

smurfyeah19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
The coaches I have seen utilize this scheme use it sparingly, probably 10% of the games. For one thing, you want to keep your slow down game unscouted if possible.

In southwest Ohio small school ball, teams who used to face a Jefferson Township would often employ a slow down. Small rural white kids had no chance running the floor with the teams Jefferson used to produce.

But slow them down, keep them working on defense, tire them a bit and DO NOT LET THEM SPRINT THE FLOOR ON A FAST BREAK and you just might knock them off. That is what I fear would be lost in adding a shot clock. I go watch those type of games intentionally to see how coaches will plan the game to give their kids a shot. With a shot clock, I could tell you how those games would end, no need to go watch a total athletic domination.

Some posters on here say these slow teams should learn skills better and the game fundamentals. I say a shot clock would aid the athletic teams and they would be the ones who would see a diminishing of skills.

So the better team would be more likely to win the game? Thatís like saying we need to play the Red tees in HS golf because it allows for more options
Old 03-15-19, 06:45 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyeah19 View Post
So the better team would be more likely to win the game? Thatís like saying we need to play the Red tees in HS golf because it allows for more options
No. The better team is the one who figures out how to compete vs a superior opponent and ends up winning the game by using the limited skills they have and intellectual discipline.

If we make it only a talent contest that becomes about as exciting as a track meet.

Don't confuse talent with intellect, work ethic and discipline.
Old 03-15-19, 07:06 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You’re not wrong. However it’s all the college coaches care about
College coaches hate the AAU product.

I've personally heard Krzyzewski, Huggins, Boeheim, Few, et al... address the subject and all of them say it takes until into the Sophomore year to break the bad habits that AAU creates.

Last edited by AllSports12; 03-15-19 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-15-19, 07:11 AM
All World

Quote:
No, it's like saying that you always have to use a driver off the box or cannot layup on par 5's that are a full carry to the green. (favors the physically stronger player over the shorter hitting, precise, shot making player)
Old 03-15-19, 08:31 AM
All Yappi

winbypin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Youíre not wrong. However itís all the college coaches care about
I know that's not true since I've seen multiple college coaches at HS games. But I imagine its tough for college coaches to recruit during the HS season since they are in the middle of their season too.
Old 03-15-19, 09:04 AM
Junior Varsity

JU-ICE is on a distinguished road
Many look at the shot clock from just an offensive standpoint, I look at it as also rewarding teams for playing excellent defense. As previously mentioned, a good motion offense will be run until the defense makes a mistake, but why punish a disciplined defensive team by forcing them to having to defend for an unlimited amount of time?
Old 03-15-19, 09:50 AM
All Ohio

OldSchoolPanther is on a distinguished road
College coaches want their cake and to eat it too.

In one breath they will tell you that AAU has killed basketball fundamentals and IQ, but in the other, they will admit it has made their lives easier by being able to recruit multiple kids in one spot. Logistically, it saves them time and money.
Old 03-15-19, 05:41 PM
All Region

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
College coaches hate the AAU product.

I've personally heard Krzyzewski, Huggins, Boeheim, Few, et al... address the subject and all of them say it takes until into the Sophomore year to break the bad habits that AAU creates.
Except that they are all at the big AAU tourneys and virtually ghosts during the high school season. All big time basketball recruiting is done during the summer now. The coaches may hate it but it is where like talent competes against like talent and the AAU game, with a shot clock, more closely approximates the college game.
Old 03-15-19, 05:42 PM
All Region

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
I know that's not true since I've seen multiple college coaches at HS games. But I imagine its tough for college coaches to recruit during the HS season since they are in the middle of their season too.
Used to do it all the time. No where near as many as before AAU
Old 03-15-19, 05:45 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
It's far easier to recruit AAU events due to them being in the summer, and due to the ability to potentially see several prospects you may be interested in. It has very little to nothing to do with style of play. It's far more convenient, and especially for coaches at smaller programs, far more efficient for your budget.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-19, 06:08 PM
All American

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
YES. Make the game fun to watch.
Old 03-15-19, 06:30 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
Except that they are all at the big AAU tourneys and virtually ghosts during the high school season. All big time basketball recruiting is done during the summer now. The coaches may hate it but it is where like talent competes against like talent and the AAU game, with a shot clock, more closely approximates the college game.
Recruiting is easier no doubt....

But they still hate what the kids bring with them (bad habits)
Old 03-15-19, 09:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
YES. Make the game fun to watch.
They are fun to watch now.
Old 03-15-19, 09:38 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
The shot clock isn't why they are there.