Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-08-19, 10:58 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPope View Post
I also heard that an Official from the SW District is working a State Championship with a ranking that is half of what it should be to Officiate at that level?
Ratings and rankings mean absolutely nothing.

The OHSAA has long maintained and demonstrated (it says so in print) that they will place people as they see fit. The only people (officials) who are surprised at this are the ones who don't read and pay attention.

"The final decision on selections rest with the state office."

Last edited by AllSports12; 03-08-19 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-08-19, 12:10 PM
All District

CincyHoopRef
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPope View Post
I also heard that an Official from the SW District is working a State Championship with a ranking that is half of what it should be to Officiate at that level?
Real Talk:

Ratings don't matter for about half the officials they use in the tournament. The OHSAA has staff, teachers and school administrators, friends, family and diversity goals they use first. Then they use college guys that live in Ohio. Then they use the ratings.

Last edited by CincyHoopRef; 03-08-19 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-08-19, 02:01 PM
All Region

zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHoopRef View Post
Real Talk:

Ratings don't matter for about half the officials they use in the tournament. The OHSAA has staff, teachers and school administrators, friends, family and diversity goals they use first. Then they use college guys that live in Ohio. Then they use the ratings.
There are politics involved just like with everything, but I'd argue it's less political than most people think. (And I've never advanced that far in the postseason.)

The "college guys that live in Ohio" still have to workthe minimum games, so it's not as though college officials aren't working any high school games the whole season then hogging the tournament games. That's why that requirement is in place.

The ratings? Here's the deal: coaches and ADs (i.e. 50% of a total rating) aren't always the most objective, nor most qualified, evaluators of officiating talent and competence. Just look at an average official's ratings from losing coaches to get an idea. It's why the extraordinary ratings are thrown out. So, while they are a component of making assignments, they are far from the only factor. If an official is rated poorly across the board, that is different than just being "below average." You can have unimpressive coach ratings and still be an outstanding official.

Someone once told me about officiating that "If you're doing this job right, eventually you're going to make people mad."
Old 03-08-19, 02:40 PM
All District

CincyHoopRef
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastripes View Post

The "college guys that live in Ohio" still have to workthe minimum games, so it's not as though college officials aren't working any high school games the whole season then hogging the tournament games. That's why that requirement is in place.
The games worked requirement has been waived by OHSAA for regional assignments before including this year. It's more of a guideline than requirement. As AllSport12 said "The final decision on selections rest with the state office."

Ratings really do mean nothing.
Old 03-13-19, 11:41 PM
Freshman

BillytheGoat is on a distinguished road
Follow the rules

All this crying and whoa is me. An official in the Northeast was suspended two games for failing to follow uniform regulations in a District girls game. Lost a Regional and State Boys Final.

Bottom line, follow rules, which is not that hard. This clown in the SE who is complaining about losing a sectional game when he was wrong all the around needed a realitity check.deserves what he got. The bozo who thought a girls games does not matter also depress what he got.

Last edited by BillytheGoat; 03-14-19 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-14-19, 09:16 AM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastripes View Post
There are politics involved just like with everything, but I'd argue it's less political than most people think. (And I've never advanced that far in the postseason.)

The ratings? Here's the deal: coaches and ADs (i.e. 50% of a total rating) aren't always the most objective, nor most qualified, evaluators of officiating talent and competence. Just look at an average official's ratings from losing coaches to get an idea. It's why the extraordinary ratings are thrown out. So, while they are a component of making assignments, they are far from the only factor. If an official is rated poorly across the board, that is different than just being "below average." You can have unimpressive coach ratings and still be an outstanding official.

Someone once told me about officiating that "If you're doing this job right, eventually you're going to make people mad."
That's supposed to be the requirement but isn't always enforced.