Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-11-19, 12:52 AM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
D-II Canton Regional Semi 3/13/19 6:15pm: Villa Angela-St.Joseph vs. Benedictine

Normally I wouldn’t make an individual game thread for basketball especially during playoffs, usually under the Canton D-II Region thread. However this matchup will have some significant hype for this highly anticipated matchup between two North Coast League Rivals, especially with things being a bit heated towards the two schools as of late. Recently in the final regular season meeting between VASJ and Benedictine, the Bene students rushed the floor after a narrow win on their home court and engaged with the VASJ student section. Earlier back in January prior to halftime, two VASJ and Bene players were ejected after an altercation at mid court. These two teams are well coached and are thirsty to advance. VASJ has made it to the Elite 8 every year since 2013. Benedictine however is back in D-II after spending a season in D-II. If either of these two advance to Columbus, they could quite possibly see another familiar North Coast League rival in Cleveland Central Catholic if the Ironman win the Bowling Green Region to eventually meet in the Final Four being in the State Championship game. However, that is not to discredit any of the remaining teams as everyone has a shot at a trip to Columbus next week. This should be a hard fought, well tested matchup in this rubber match between two tradition rich schools.

Previous meetings from 2018-19:
*Note VASJ and Benedictine are in the same division in the NCL. VASJ won a share of the NCL Blue Division with Hoban. Benedictine finished 3rd despite the season split with VASJ.

Game 1: @VASJ 1/11/19, VASJ 95-Benedictine 83 (OT)
Game 2: @Benedictine 2/15/19, Benedictine 67-VASJ 64

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by C'Town216; 03-13-19 at 12:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-19, 01:47 AM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
Normally I wouldn’t make an individual game thread for basketball especially during playoffs, usually under the Canton D-II Region thread. However this matchup will have some significant hype for this highly anticipated matchup between two North Coast League Rivals, especially with things being a bit heated towards the two schools as of late. Recently in the final regular season meeting between VASJ and Benedictine, the Bene students rushed the floor after a narrow win on their home court and engaged with the VASJ student section. Earlier back in January prior to halftime, two VASJ and Bene players were ejected after an altercation at mid court. These two teams are well coached and are thirsty to advance. VASJ has made it to the Elite 8 every year since 2013. Benedictine however is back in D-II after spending a season in D-II. If either of these two advance to Columbus, they could quite possibly see another familiar North Coast League rival in Cleveland Central Catholic if the Ironman win the Bowling Green Region to eventually meet in the Final Four. However, that is not to discredit any of the remaining teams as everyone has a shot at a trip to Columbus next week. This should be a hard fought, well tested matchup in this rubber match between two tradition rich schools.

Previous meetings from 2018-19:
*Note VASJ and Benedictine are in the same division in the NCL. VASJ won a share of the NCL Blue Division with Hoban. Benedictine finished 3rd despite the season split with VASJ.

Game 1: @VASJ 1/11/19, VASJ 95-Benedictine 83 (OT)
Game 2: @Benedictine 2/15/19, Benedictine 67-VASJ 64

Old 03-11-19, 08:03 AM
Freshman

Nashville Bound is on a distinguished road
Eating and Parking

For those coming down from Cleveland for the game, there is a Wendy's right across from the Civic Center. Safe and quick to grab a meal before or after the game. Also, parking on the Wendy's lot for just $5. Quick in and out and you save a $1 over the other lots.

Civic Center is still listing the game for Thursday night, but can I get a confirmation that it is indeed on Wednesday with the finals on Friday? Thanks and good luck to both teams.
Old 03-11-19, 09:13 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Bound View Post
For those coming down from Cleveland for the game, there is a Wendy's right across from the Civic Center. Safe and quick to grab a meal before or after the game. Also, parking on the Wendy's lot for just $5. Quick in and out and you save a $1 over the other lots.

Civic Center is still listing the game for Thursday night, but can I get a confirmation that it is indeed on Wednesday with the finals on Friday? Thanks and good luck to both teams.
The tickets posted on VASJ’s AD social media has the 3/13 date. Thanks for the tip about parking across from Wendy’s. Is the construction cleared up around the Akron area? I remember having to be detoured due to it last March.

Old 03-11-19, 09:30 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Maybe basketball should be more like football and have games like this played in a neutral site between the two schools? Kind of idiotic that fans of two schools in CLE have to drive during rush hour to Canton to see them play with a 6:15 tip. Think there would be a few more fans if this was played at Brush since they aren't worried about playing this week?
Old 03-11-19, 09:42 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Maybe basketball should be more like football and have games like this played in a neutral site between the two schools? Kind of idiotic that fans of two schools in CLE have to drive during rush hour to Canton to see them play with a 6:15 tip. Think there would be a few more fans if this was played at Brush since they aren't worried about playing this week?

Honestly wouldn’t be such a bad thing although it kind of takes away from playing on a bigger stage than a HS gym with the exception of Canton McKinley

Old 03-11-19, 09:58 AM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
The times are horrible for the semi final and for the team lucky enough to reach the final. I will need to leave work early to get to the game Weds and possibly Friday. Who starts a game at 6:15 ? That Friday game should be 7 or 7:30.

Last year VASJ was blessed enough to make it to the Regional Final and they played SVSM at noon - but then again we are talking about the OHSAA.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 03-11-19, 10:11 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
The times are horrible for the semi final and for the team lucky enough to reach the final. I will need to leave work early to get to the game Weds and possibly Friday. Who starts a game at 6:15 ? That Friday game should be 7 or 7:30.

Last year VASJ was blessed enough to make it to the Regional Final and they played SVSM at noon - but then again we are talking about the OHSAA.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart

I honestly thought it was a typo on the OHSAA’s bracket page. Even the Civic Center had it at 6:15. I wouldn’t be shocked if the Civic Center told them that was the time slot they can have. Oh well.

Old 03-11-19, 10:19 AM
All District

bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
I agree. Move the game or move the time.
At least for Benedictine and VASJ the drive is mostly interstate. Have you looked at a map (for you younger people, that's the folded paper us old timers used before cell phones and GPS ) from Poland to Canton, talk about you can't get there from here.
Old 03-11-19, 10:31 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
I think the Univ of Akron JAR would be a better venue for this Regional, more geographically centered and still is a bigger atmosphere that a HS gym.
Old 03-11-19, 12:50 PM
Freshman

Benjamin Bengal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
If either of these two advance to Columbus, they could quite possibly see another familiar North Coast League rival in Cleveland Central Catholic if the Ironman win the Bowling Green Region to eventually meet in the Final Four.
I thought the Bengals couldnt play CCC until the championship game.
Old 03-11-19, 12:59 PM
Freshman

According to the Civic Center, one of the teams requested the date change due to a possible conflict with their girls team possibly playing in the state tournament this weekend. Not sure what team or if that team is still in the tournament or not. The request was sent in last week. The date was clear at the Civic so they were fine with it.

Last edited by Nashville Bound; 03-11-19 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Word
Old 03-11-19, 01:10 PM
Junior Varsity

SchoolDownthehill is on a distinguished road
That leaves us out of the girls tourney thing. Must of been someone else. Go Bengals. # MOB
Old 03-11-19, 03:03 PM
Freshman

Civic Center

If I understood the Civic Center rep correctly, either the boys team that requested the change, or the girls team, lost over the weekend, so moving the games became a moot point. However, once the request went in and was approved, there was no turning back.
Old 03-13-19, 12:46 PM
All American

I’ll post quarter by quarter updates on here during the game for those unable to attend or scoreboard watching.

Old 03-13-19, 04:55 PM
All American

Good news for both teams, Showtime Joe Hewitt not officiating this game.

Old 03-13-19, 05:32 PM
Varsity

hoops96 is on a distinguished road
End of 1st 16-13 Benny
Old 03-13-19, 05:33 PM
All American

End of 1

VASJ 16
Bene 13

Old 03-13-19, 05:35 PM
Varsity

My bad St Joe
Old 03-13-19, 05:52 PM
Varsity

Halftime 28 all
Old 03-13-19, 05:52 PM
All American

At the half

VASJ 28
Bene 28

Joes jumped out to 22-13 lead to start and Bene responds with big run to tie it up. Missed opportunities on both sides. Also something to watch, #23 on Joes and #13 are getting a bit chippy with each other late in the half. Both games have been chippy when they played during the NCL portion of the schedule.

Old 03-13-19, 06:17 PM
All American

D-II Canton Regional Semi 3/13/19 6:15pm: Villa Angela-St.Joseph vs. Benedictine

End of 3

Bene 48
St.Joes 44

Vikings ball to start the 4th. Both have 4 team fouls each

Old 03-13-19, 06:42 PM
All American

Final

VASJ 66
Benedictine 62

VASJ advances to face either Buchtel/Poland on Friday at 6:15pm
VASJ down by a marginal amount I believe 10 to storm back and shock Benedictine

Old 03-13-19, 06:43 PM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Vikings 66 Bene 62 final . 18 -6 run by VASJ to finsh game
Old 03-13-19, 07:58 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolDownthehill View Post
That leaves us out of the girls tourney thing. Must of been someone else. Go Bengals. # MOB
It would have to have been Poland whose girls lost to St. V. in the regional final last Friday.