Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-31-18, 06:02 PM
All District

Baseballmom13 is on a distinguished road
https://www.cleveland.com/metro/inde...o_focus_o.html

My guess is this is the reason for the in state recruitment. Comes down to $.
Old 10-31-18, 06:07 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
With pending new NCAA transfer rules, probability exists that kids can transfer from any program D1/D2 to Akron w/out penalty. I would think that any mutually interested kids who want to play baseball, will transfer this upcoming Winter or Spring. Personally, I am aware of a few kids who currently are playing strong D2 baseball, who are considering this option. I'm sure there will be more.
I know of no NCAA rule, pending or otherwise that would permit a D1 to D1 transfer without sitting out. Now, if your D1 school eliminates baseball, I believe you can transfer without penalty.
Old 10-31-18, 10:13 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Now D1 athletes no longer have to receive permission from their current school's coach prior to transferring to another D1 program. As Akron will not begin its baseball program until the Spring of 2020, any D1 player who transfers by the Spring semester 2019 will be eligible to play immediately in the Spring of 2020. Previously, D1 athletes needed their coaches approval to transfer, & often were denied. That no longer applies. Additionally, schools can no longer revoke a red shirt athletes scholarship if he/she elect to transfer the following academic year, when previously coaches could revoke that kids scholarship after being informed of their intent to transfer.
Old 11-01-18, 12:24 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
Now D1 athletes no longer have to receive permission from their current school's coach prior to transferring to another D1 program. As Akron will not begin its baseball program until the Spring of 2020, any D1 player who transfers by the Spring semester 2019 will be eligible to play immediately in the Spring of 2020. Previously, D1 athletes needed their coaches approval to transfer, & often were denied. That no longer applies. Additionally, schools can no longer revoke a red shirt athletes scholarship if he/she elect to transfer the following academic year, when previously coaches could revoke that kids scholarship after being informed of their intent to transfer.
I believe the new rule is that you do not need permission to talk to/be recruited by other schools. However, if you signed a NLI, you will still need to be released by your current D1. Transferring to Akron “by the spring semester 2019” would still mean a season without baseball. Generally, student athletes have 5 years to get their 4 seasons completed. Are you saying that there is some kind of exception because Akron would be considered a new program?

Also, not playing or preparing for baseball for a year would make it very difficult to compete with JUCO transfers and even stud freshman. IMHO, this would be a bad idea for SA, and Akron baseball.

Last edited by Baseballmom13; 11-01-18 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Edit to add:
Old 11-01-18, 12:55 PM
All Ohio

No, son's very happy at Mercyhurst. Red shirted last year. Great program, great coaches. Got a ring for D2 World Series appearance. My knowledge of kids who are considering transferring to Akron are from contacts thru the Great Lakes College summer league, who are actually from a variety of college programs both D2 & D1 in and out of Ohio. There will be more than a little interest from them re transferring to Akron.
Old 11-01-18, 01:57 PM
Junior Varsity

VilleBooster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ball 4 View Post
Where are they playing? Lee Jackson needs a lot of improvement
Big time question. I see some high school fields that are better venues than Akron, right in the shadow of state of the art football and soccer stadiums. I would love to see them partner with the city somehow and move to Canal Park. I know scheduling would make it next to impossible.

Otherwise, need to spend some of his MLB pension upgrading that baseball 'stadium'
Old 11-01-18, 02:02 PM
All District

BobcatQB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleBooster View Post
Big time question. I see some high school fields that are better venues than Akron, right in the shadow of state of the art football and soccer stadiums. I would love to see them partner with the city somehow and move to Canal Park. I know scheduling would make it next to impossible.

Otherwise, need to spend some of his MLB pension upgrading that baseball 'stadium'
saw this was in in the works..but also saw that they were planning to upgrade their field, so who knows. Maybe Canal Park for a year or two while they are renovating??
Old 11-01-18, 02:36 PM
All Ohio

warriordad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleBooster View Post

Not to mention a pretty damn nice softball field rightb next to the baseball field.
Old 11-08-18, 08:36 PM
Freshman

Zebrastripes90 is on a distinguished road
If I were Coach Sabo I would drive over to Tri-C and grab 6 of their players, drive down to Sinclair and pick up another 5-6, then over to Kellogg and pick up another 5-6. Now pay attention. Many kids out of HS sign letters for wrong reasons. Do the research, typically only the best of the best stick around the top D1 programs. Many others leave and want to try something new or a fresh start. You know how much it costs those kids financially when they leave....ouch. Greatest thing from JUCO kids...they have been playing ball. Tri-C, Sinclair, and Kellogg are loaded with D1 Talent that just went JUCO route for a variety of reasons. For the kids that went JUCO, they have zero to very little education debt. Thatís when a college tuition for remaining 2 years does not look horrible for in state or even out of state tuition. While no scholarship academic money is likely being given; books and meal plans are likely negotiable. Thatís not nothing to sneeze at. As for assistant coaches; why not one of those PBR guys. The revenue from that business has got to be huge. Second thought - maybe not that would be a pay cut. I sure as heck then would be talking to every HC at the JUCOs mentioned. They all just win. A great way to get your foot in the door if D1 is your personal coaching goals. All 3 HCís would be well deserving from the success they have all had.
Old 11-09-18, 09:39 AM
All Ohio

I agree with the opinion that recruiting JUCO kids will initially be the most effective way to at least put some experienced kids in the program. Akron won't be able to recruit the top freshman kids, because there are just to many other D1 programs within Ohio who have a much more desirable program/school program. Lastly, saying Tri C is "loaded" w/D1 talent just isn't true. The vast majority of their talented grads move on to the various D2 programs in Ohio, Pa, W. Virginia, etc. Occasionally they produce a Di recruit, but not often. Sinclair, though has had a better track record of moving kids to D1 programs. But, I certainly agree w/the concept of building the program thru JUCO kids.
Old 11-09-18, 03:41 PM
All District

MERKLE is on a distinguished road
I like the JUCO idea to get some talent to start with, and I’m sure Sabo has a good eye to evaluate talent, but building his recruiting foundation is going to be the key. He needs to blend transfer kids with local D1 bubble kids looking for an opportunity.
Old 11-14-18, 04:42 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
The name Chris Sabo means nothing to kids these days. His last year in baseball was 1996. College SENIORS now were born in 1994 and 1995. The lure of having a "former big leaguer" as the HC will be something, but it's not like you're telling HS kids that A-Rod is going to be their HC. Either way, I hope it works out....the MAC needs Akron back. With Buffalo gone, it's really throwing a wrench into the MAC tourney with only 6 teams making it last season. MAC baseball needs all the publicity it can get....even if it is an "old guy" like Sabo