Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-23-18, 06:43 PM
All District

MERKLE is on a distinguished road
Chris Sabo at Akron

Sabo is the new head coach at UA. This souds like a great start. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-18, 06:52 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Impressed. Seems like they are trying to make a big splash. Wonder how much it will affect recruiting.
Old 10-23-18, 08:22 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Impressed. Seems like they are trying to make a big splash. Wonder how much it will affect recruiting.
I'd say being a coach at IMG Academy the last few years will help in this category.
Old 10-23-18, 09:18 PM
All District

I hope and expect that they will add some more local coaches as a staff is assembled.

Is their firs season supposed to be the spring of 2020 or 2021?
Old 10-23-18, 09:44 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
I'd say being a coach at IMG Academy the last few years will help in this category.
Recruiting to IMG probably easier than recruiting to Akron Ohio Wish him and the Akron Baseball players all the best though!
Old 10-24-18, 08:52 AM
All District

OldEagle71 is on a distinguished road
Where did he go to high school?
Old 10-24-18, 11:19 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagle71 View Post
Where did he go to high school?
Detroit Catholic Central
Old 10-24-18, 01:56 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
Recruiting to IMG probably easier than recruiting to Akron Ohio Wish him and the Akron Baseball players all the best though!
Agree, but guessing kids/parents will be impressed by the players he's had in developing when he goes on visits. Would also bet he's made a ton of contacts within the high school/club team circuits throughout the years.
Old 10-24-18, 02:48 PM
Junior Varsity

seetheball2 is on a distinguished road
Akron University Coach Staff

A few college coaches at lower divisions are being considered to join Sabo's staff. Coach Tom From DHC is being considered as potential assistant or scout. He is currently a scout for the New York Mets. Has anyone else heard other names being mentioned?
Old 10-24-18, 02:59 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
What's the status of available scholarships available for baseball @ Akron U? Initially, when the university announced they were returning the baseball program, administrators also reported there would be some restrictions, such as zero to limited baseball scholarships available than the 11.5 allotted by the NCAA. That would play a big part in how well the recruitment process plays out. I would think more than a few local kids who have been playing JUCO, D2, some D1 at other schools both in and out of state might have some interest in returning to play in a D1 program under a well known baseball guy like Sabo.
Old 10-24-18, 04:34 PM
Go Buckeyes

On the radio today, they said it would start in 2020 with zero scholarships.

I imagine they will get a few kids that want to play D1 but are only being recruited at the D2 or lower levels to want to come there. Also should get a few transfers who want to come home and continue playing D1.

Also wonder how much some of these kids are paying when they go to a private school with a partial scholarship? Might be cheaper to go to a state school without a scholarship.
Old 10-24-18, 04:57 PM
All Ohio

Going to be tough with zero athletic scholarships. Most kids who play D1/D2 baseball get little to no baseball scholarship $ anyway. The majority of their scholarship money comes via academic scholarship monies. Some of the High end D2 schools which are private, can give higher amounts of academic $ than most others. It all comes down to how much each program is willing to fund the NCAA baseball scholarship allowance, regardless of D1 or D2. I imagine Akron will just have to hope their lower tuition costs help them recruit, along with whatever academic scholarship monies the school has available. Either way, it's going to be a rough few years to rebuild that program, especially w/zero baseball scholarship monies.
Old 10-24-18, 06:38 PM
All Region

Baseballfan20 is on a distinguished road
Most of the kids will not have a clue who he is, but dads will. I hope it helps in recruiting. They will get kids that just want to say they went D1. I would imagine the better lower division schools still beat them in recruiting for those players on the edge of D1, D2, and even JUCO.

Akron also has a scholarship cap. Most an incoming freshman can get is $11,000 annually. So that could pay for tuition but thats all you can receive from the university.
Old 10-24-18, 07:18 PM
All American

Sabo was on sports talk tonight. Said he is hoping to find 35 guys in the state of Ohio who would like to Renew Baseball at Akron.
Old 10-25-18, 12:41 PM
Junior Varsity

WildcatBall123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seetheball2 View Post
A few college coaches at lower divisions are being considered to join Sabo's staff. Coach Tom From DHC is being considered as potential assistant or scout. He is currently a scout for the New York Mets. Has anyone else heard other names being mentioned?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sabo would lose all credibility if he did this.
Old 10-25-18, 12:44 PM
Junior Varsity

I watched the press conference. He appears to be a little out of touch. Continued to reference playing at Michigan in the 70's/80's, living in southern Ohio in early 90's, coaching the top team at IMG - all of those things do not come CLOSE to coaching a team in NE Ohio in 2020. He has a LOT of work to do. Would have preferred they went with a younger coach with NE Ohio ties who actually KNOWS what good baseball is in this state in this day and age, and has a phone book full of contacts at the HS/summer level. Will be very interested to see that first roster.
Old 10-25-18, 01:14 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatBall123 View Post
I watched the press conference. He appears to be a little out of touch. Continued to reference playing at Michigan in the 70's/80's, living in southern Ohio in early 90's, coaching the top team at IMG - all of those things do not come CLOSE to coaching a team in NE Ohio in 2020. He has a LOT of work to do. Would have preferred they went with a younger coach with NE Ohio ties who actually KNOWS what good baseball is in this state in this day and age, and has a phone book full of contacts at the HS/summer level. Will be very interested to see that first roster.
Maybe in the long run, but with zero scholarships they will have just two things to float out there:
*Chance to play DI ball which likely wont pan out because that will attract those not getting any offers

-and-

A big name, which Sabo is.
Old 10-25-18, 02:10 PM
Junior Varsity

Yeah that’s definitely attractive for the fringe players.

And he WAS a big name. Ask any HS kid if they know who that is and they’ll probably say no. Likely the case if you asked them to name any head coach but he hasn’t been relevant in Ohio in decades. Now southern kids probably know him if their father was a Reds fan.
Old 10-26-18, 12:00 PM
All District

I think he will be able to quickly establish good communication with local high school coaches and summer programs. Akron has typically gone after D1 bubble kids in the past. Sabo give some legitimacy by his resume to attract kids looking for an opportunity.
Old 10-26-18, 02:41 PM
All District

ball 4 is on a distinguished road
Where are they playing? Lee Jackson needs a lot of improvement
Old 10-26-18, 04:47 PM
All District

Baseballmom13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seetheball2 View Post
Please. That guy has applied for local HS coaching positions and canít even land THAT
Old 10-26-18, 04:50 PM
All District

Baseballmom13 is on a distinguished road
Congrats to Akron on their HC selection. Things are looking up!
Old 10-26-18, 09:44 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatBall123 View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sabo would lose all credibility if he did this.
Wut?!? No love for Squiggy?!?

Old 10-26-18, 09:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Sabo was on sports talk tonight. Said he is hoping to find 35 guys in the state of Ohio who would like to Renew Baseball at Akron.
I know a pitcher/polymer engineering student that will probably have a look.

I also hear Coach Bowden is going to let a few football players cross-train in the spring. Every little bit helps. It will come together in time.
Old 10-26-18, 09:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
On the radio today, they said it would start in 2020 with zero scholarships.

I imagine they will get a few kids that want to play D1 but are only being recruited at the D2 or lower levels to want to come there. Also should get a few transfers who want to come home and continue playing D1.

Also wonder how much some of these kids are paying when they go to a private school with a partial scholarship? Might be cheaper to go to a state school without a scholarship.
If an Ohio kid's parents have a solid income and he has a sub-30 ACT, that seems likely.
Old 10-26-18, 11:02 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
I heard last night that the key part of your post was "35 guys in the state of Ohio". The person was an insider in UofA sports and said that the baseball team is only allowed to recruit Ohio players. Not sure what the limits will be but that seems to make it even more difficult.
Old 10-31-18, 01:08 PM
All American

Captain Awesome is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I heard last night that the key part of your post was "35 guys in the state of Ohio". The person was an insider in UofA sports and said that the baseball team is only allowed to recruit Ohio players. Not sure what the limits will be but that seems to make it even more difficult.
I don't think this is true, I think they want the kids to be from Ohio but not sure it is a requirement.
Old 10-31-18, 02:17 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I don't think this is true, I think they want the kids to be from Ohio but not sure it is a requirement.
It doesn't sound right to me either but this was coming from an "Akron insider" who wasn't happy about it.

I suspect anyone that wants to play baseball that attends the school would be allowed to make the team. Maybe it's just an artificial limit on where he is allowed to travel to when recruiting.
Old 10-31-18, 02:41 PM
All Ohio

With pending new NCAA transfer rules, probability exists that kids can transfer from any program D1/D2 to Akron w/out penalty. I would think that any mutually interested kids who want to play baseball, will transfer this upcoming Winter or Spring. Personally, I am aware of a few kids who currently are playing strong D2 baseball, who are considering this option. I'm sure there will be more.
Old 10-31-18, 03:32 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
With pending new NCAA transfer rules, probability exists that kids can transfer from any program D1/D2 to Akron w/out penalty. I would think that any mutually interested kids who want to play baseball, will transfer this upcoming Winter or Spring. Personally, I am aware of a few kids who currently are playing strong D2 baseball, who are considering this option. I'm sure there will be more.
so your son is transferring from the Hurst?

that's going to be the issue Sabo faces. he's going to have DOZENS of kids who are at D1/D2/D3 schools, who THINK they should be playing D1, who are not even playing at their current school, wanting to come to Akron. dominate where you are first. this goes to wanting to transfer anywhere. if you can't get on the field where you are, what makes you think you will somewhere else? even if it's a program that's just starting.