Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-22-18, 04:57 PM
All Region

Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
Arkansas' history going back to the SWC and what North Carolina did a few years ago I very much doubt are primary in Bryant's consideration. He's looking for a chance to play, and is showing a willingness to look outside the powerhouse sphere to do that. So, again, why not UC?

What is UC? A program that punched below its weight for a few years under the previous lame duck coaching regime, but is now back on the rise thanks to a quality young head coach.

I thought it was obvious Burrow went to LSU to bring quality QB play the team has lacked since possibly Jamarcus Russell. He's chasing a ring!

I agree it doesn't seem likely, but there is only a 0% chance if no inquiries are made!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-18, 08:41 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Grumbleman View Post
Arkansas' history going back to the SWC and what North Carolina did a few years ago I very much doubt are primary in Bryant's consideration. He's looking for a chance to play, and is showing a willingness to look outside the powerhouse sphere to do that. So, again, why not UC?
No doubt he's looking for somewhere to play immediately, but let's not forget that Trubisky just came out of UNC. Ryan Mallett had a decent career at Arkansas.

Quote:
What is UC? A program that punched below its weight for a few years under the previous lame duck coaching regime, but is now back on the rise thanks to a quality young head coach.
You completely overrate UC's football program. Prior to their 10-year run from Dantonio to Kelly to Jones they were below average. They don't have a history of being a good football program. The most historic thing about UC's football program is Nippert Stadium. You say they "punched below their weight for a few years", when in reality they regressed back to the mean. They punched above their weight for about 10 years. They have the ability to be a solid Group of 5 football program but let's not act like they've ever been a perennial powerhouse.

Quote:
I agree it doesn't seem likely, but there is only a 0% chance if no inquiries are made!
I'm not saying they shouldn't try, but that doesn't mean he's giving them serious consideration.
Old 10-22-18, 10:43 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
No doubt he's looking for somewhere to play immediately, but let's not forget that Trubisky just came out of UNC. Ryan Mallett had a decent career at Arkansas.
Mallett?! He played for Arkansas 2 coaching changes ago!

I'm sure he would like to go to UNC and beat Clemson, but if he's also considering Arkansas, it wouldn't hurt UC to throw it's hat in.

Quote:
You completely overrate UC's football program. Prior to their 10-year run from Dantonio to Kelly to Jones they were below average. They don't have a history of being a good football program. The most historic thing about UC's football program is Nippert Stadium. You say they "punched below their weight for a few years", when in reality they regressed back to the mean. They punched above their weight for about 10 years. They have the ability to be a solid Group of 5 football program but let's not act like they've ever been a perennial powerhouse.
UC performed as a CUSA team while in that conference and quickly improved after joining the Big East.

I don't understand your historicity angle. Arkansas and North Carolina aren't historically good football programs.

I'm also not sure why you consider the Tommy Tuberville years indicative of the "real UC". The program has solid recruiting grounds that he did not take advantage of.

Quote:
I'm not saying they shouldn't try, but that doesn't mean he's giving them serious consideration.
Baffling. I'm not impressed with Ridder and believe UC would do well to target Bryant as a 1 year filler/mentor (FWIW, I think they could challenge for the conference with him as their QB) - that is what I said. What I did not say was that Bryant was actively considering UC. I didn't even hint at it.
Old 10-23-18, 11:55 AM
All Yappi

In more than one post now you've implied that UC has a chance at Bryant due to his interest in Arkansas and UNC. You say both are mediocre programs but bottom line, both are better programs than UC. If you can't see that then I can't help you.
Old 10-23-18, 05:52 PM
All Region

Quote:
In more than one post now you've implied that UC has a chance at Bryant due to his interest in Arkansas and UNC. You say both are mediocre programs but bottom line, both are better programs than UC. If you can't see that then I can't help you.
By what measure are they better opportunities? Belonging to a P5 conference? Did playing for Wyoming in the MWC hurt Josh Allen?
Old 10-23-18, 08:09 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Resources, exposure, training, draft picks?

Draft picks since 2000:

Arkansas: 60
North Carolina: 58
Cincinnati: 31
Old 10-23-18, 11:11 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Bryant will be visiting Missouri for the Kentucky game this weekend. Missouri's current QB, Drew Lock, has had one of the most impressive careers stat-wise of any SEC QB in the league's history. Sure the offenses have changed over the years but without injury he'll end up at least in the top 3 in career TD passes, maybe by the end of this weekend. Assuming the coaching staff remains in tack I think Missouri would be a good choice looking to make a big splash in a little amount of time. They may not win games but it's mainly because their defense is awful. Certainly NFL teams would be drawn to the numbers Mizzou puts up when they have the ball.
Old 10-24-18, 10:42 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
By what measure are they better opportunities? Belonging to a P5 conference? Did playing for Wyoming in the MWC hurt Josh Allen?
Yes exactly, Power 5 over Group of 5. Josh Allen didn't start his career at Clemson. Seriously there's no help for you.
Old 10-24-18, 01:41 PM
All Region

Quote:
Yes exactly, Power 5 over Group of 5. Josh Allen didn't start his career at Clemson. Seriously there's no help for you.
For the sake of clarity, are you arguing going from Clemson to UC would cause Bryant to lose more face than North Carolina or Arkansas? I just want to be sure because this statement appears to actually harm your argument. A QB who played his entire career at Wyoming became a Top 5 pick. In no way can that be used as proof that a move to UC would hurt his draft stock.
Old 10-24-18, 02:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
For the sake of clarity, are you arguing going from Clemson to UC would cause Bryant to lose more face than North Carolina or Arkansas? I just want to be sure because this statement appears to actually harm your argument. A QB who played his entire career at Wyoming became a Top 5 pick. In no way can that be used as proof that a move to UC would hurt his draft stock.
And Carson Wentz didn't play a down of FBS football at NDSU. What's your point?
Old 10-28-18, 07:57 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Uc now 7-1, likely 8-1 after next week v. Navy (maybe). THis SMU game was taking on the scent of Temple @ the end. Blowing a 10 pt lead, offense suddenly sputtering while SMU was finding itself. I think they go 2-2 the rest of the way. Uc is very young if they can get the recruiting pipeline humming they may make some noise soon.
Old 10-28-18, 09:04 PM
All Yappi

Not impressed with UC's offensive play-calling. There's no reason Ridder should be throwing the ball 40+ times. He looked much better as a runner yesterday though - couple nice runs on the final drive to set up the game-tying FG.

Navy is a tough matchup because of the option - tough to simulate that especially mid-season. Bearcat defense has been pretty stout against the run though.
Old 10-30-18, 08:43 PM
All Region

Quote:
And Carson Wentz didn't play a down of FBS football at NDSU. What's your point?
The point should be obvious: Bryant's NFL potential would not be harmed playing for UC!
Old 10-30-18, 08:45 PM
All Region

Ridder was VERY fortunate he didn't cost UC the game. How lucky was it an SMU player lost his helmet during his scramble on the last drive?! He should play the lottery!
Old 10-30-18, 08:52 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Hopefully UC can hold Navy under 500 yards rushing this year. Time to see how much improvement there has been. Sucks that the Temple game got away from them.
Old 10-30-18, 10:25 PM
All American

Pope Francis 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Bearcats lose lmao.
Bearcats win again! LMAO!
Kick FG on last play of SMU game to send game to OT. LMAO!
Then pick-6 in OT to beat SMU. LMAO!
Record 7-1 LMAO!

Last edited by Pope Francis 1; 10-30-18 at 10:37 PM..
Old 11-03-18, 07:42 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 will become famous soon enough
UC routs Navy, holds their rushing to 125 yds; Navy averaged 307yds rushing/game coming into game.
Old 11-03-18, 09:09 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
I don't know how the Bearcats are going to do against UCF and USF. They could very well lose both.
However, it's clear that Luke Fickell has this program going in the right direction. This team keeps getting better every week.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the 'Cats pull off an upset (or two!).
Old 11-03-18, 09:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The point should be obvious: Bryant's NFL potential would not be harmed playing for UC!
Fair I guess, but the point I'm making is that it's laughable to even think Bryant would come to a school like UC.
Old 11-03-18, 09:24 PM
All Yappi

Very impressive to shut out Navy. UCF just gave up 40 to Temple so their defense isn't anything to be afraid of. USF at home next week and a win sets up a winner-take-all game in Orlando for the East Division.
Old 11-03-18, 09:44 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Very impressive to shut out Navy. UCF just gave up 40 to Temple so their defense isn't anything to be afraid of. USF at home next week and a win sets up a winner-take-all game in Orlando for the East Division.
At the beginning of the season, I think that all of us would have been thrilled for the 'Cats to be in this position. This team has clearly improved as the year has gone on.
We still don't know how good this team is. Finally, we're about to find out.

The future looks bright.
Old 11-04-18, 01:26 PM
All Region

Quote:
Fair I guess, but the point I'm making is that it's laughable to even think Bryant would come to a school like UC.
For which your reasoning amounts to nothing more than "because I say so"!
Old 11-04-18, 01:51 PM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Laughable doesnt even begin to describe it
Old 11-04-18, 02:06 PM
All Region

Nothing laughable about it at all! Bryant would have a great ability to shine at a school like UC and the NFL has shown it doesn't much care what level of D1 a QB plays as long as they can play!
Old 11-04-18, 02:30 PM
All World

Thats great but why would he come to UC? He has no ties to the state, no ties to the coaching staff, sub par conference, sub par facilities. He was just at a P5 school why would he go the a middle of the road G5 school? The reason Arkansas has a shot is bc Chad Morris and him have a connection. He has no connection to the school. To compare the Burrow situation to this is laughable at best. To think UC would have any shot at landing him is worse than laughable. Dreams are free i guess.
Old 11-04-18, 02:36 PM
All World

I fail to see how a few qbs have been drafted from unheralded schools makes UC standout amongst those other "unheralded" schools and other p5 schools.... has UC had one of those qbs? No. So what does UC have to do with any of it? That doesnt make UC stand out in the crowd.

Like it or not he has a better shot at improving his draft at Arkansas than he does at UC. A bottom feeding SEC school is still more attractive than a school like UC
Old 11-04-18, 07:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
For which your reasoning amounts to nothing more than "because I say so"!
No, you just don't like my reasons. I can give you a list of reasons why and you would try to refute them with your red and black glasses on.
Old 11-04-18, 10:00 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
I fail to see how a few qbs have been drafted from unheralded schools makes UC standout amongst those other "unheralded" schools and other p5 schools.... has UC had one of those qbs? No. So what does UC have to do with any of it? That doesnt make UC stand out in the crowd.

Like it or not he has a better shot at improving his draft at Arkansas than he does at UC. A bottom feeding SEC school is still more attractive than a school like UC
Meanwhile on a message board somewhere in the Rockies, a confused Colorado State fan is suggesting Bryant will be a Ram next year
Old 11-05-18, 11:44 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Kick off for the USF game is now set at 7:00. Love evening games at Nippert; will be in Clifton Saturday so need to talk the wife into taking this one in but that may be a challenge because... The weather is looking to be in the 20s Saturday evening. I'm guessing the Bulls players will not be too happy either to be playing in freezing temps, if UC gets up on them early they could fold and be more worried about getting into the warmth of the locker room then the game at hand.

8-1 heading into UCF will not stink. With cupcake Saturday in the SEC and most conferences setting up for rivalry games the following Saturday the only other game with a pair of ranked teams will be ND vs Syracuse at Yankee Stadium. Gameday will probably set up shop in Times Sq but maybe they head to Orlando and give the AAC some love?
Old 11-05-18, 11:51 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Anyone else think Marcus Freeman could be heading to a Power 5 DC gig at the end of the season? Heck, he could be next in line in Columbus if things do not turn around there quickly. He is only making $275.0K at UC, a DC job at a tOSU type program is a $1.0 million plus gig and a spring board to the big seat.