Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 10-22-18, 04:57 PM
Max Grumbleman Max Grumbleman is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-11-16
Posts: 445
Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
Arkansas' history going back to the SWC and what North Carolina did a few years ago I very much doubt are primary in Bryant's consideration. He's looking for a chance to play, and is showing a willingness to look outside the powerhouse sphere to do that. So, again, why not UC?

What is UC? A program that punched below its weight for a few years under the previous lame duck coaching regime, but is now back on the rise thanks to a quality young head coach.

I thought it was obvious Burrow went to LSU to bring quality QB play the team has lacked since possibly Jamarcus Russell. He's chasing a ring!

I agree it doesn't seem likely, but there is only a 0% chance if no inquiries are made!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #122  
Old 10-22-18, 08:41 PM
adselder09 adselder09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 14,126
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Grumbleman View Post
Arkansas' history going back to the SWC and what North Carolina did a few years ago I very much doubt are primary in Bryant's consideration. He's looking for a chance to play, and is showing a willingness to look outside the powerhouse sphere to do that. So, again, why not UC?
No doubt he's looking for somewhere to play immediately, but let's not forget that Trubisky just came out of UNC. Ryan Mallett had a decent career at Arkansas.

Quote:
What is UC? A program that punched below its weight for a few years under the previous lame duck coaching regime, but is now back on the rise thanks to a quality young head coach.
You completely overrate UC's football program. Prior to their 10-year run from Dantonio to Kelly to Jones they were below average. They don't have a history of being a good football program. The most historic thing about UC's football program is Nippert Stadium. You say they "punched below their weight for a few years", when in reality they regressed back to the mean. They punched above their weight for about 10 years. They have the ability to be a solid Group of 5 football program but let's not act like they've ever been a perennial powerhouse.

Quote:
I agree it doesn't seem likely, but there is only a 0% chance if no inquiries are made!
I'm not saying they shouldn't try, but that doesn't mean he's giving them serious consideration.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 10-22-18, 10:43 PM
Max Grumbleman Max Grumbleman is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-11-16
Posts: 445
Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
No doubt he's looking for somewhere to play immediately, but let's not forget that Trubisky just came out of UNC. Ryan Mallett had a decent career at Arkansas.
Mallett?! He played for Arkansas 2 coaching changes ago!

I'm sure he would like to go to UNC and beat Clemson, but if he's also considering Arkansas, it wouldn't hurt UC to throw it's hat in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
You completely overrate UC's football program. Prior to their 10-year run from Dantonio to Kelly to Jones they were below average. They don't have a history of being a good football program. The most historic thing about UC's football program is Nippert Stadium. You say they "punched below their weight for a few years", when in reality they regressed back to the mean. They punched above their weight for about 10 years. They have the ability to be a solid Group of 5 football program but let's not act like they've ever been a perennial powerhouse.
UC performed as a CUSA team while in that conference and quickly improved after joining the Big East.

I don't understand your historicity angle. Arkansas and North Carolina aren't historically good football programs.

I'm also not sure why you consider the Tommy Tuberville years indicative of the "real UC". The program has solid recruiting grounds that he did not take advantage of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
I'm not saying they shouldn't try, but that doesn't mean he's giving them serious consideration.
Baffling. I'm not impressed with Ridder and believe UC would do well to target Bryant as a 1 year filler/mentor (FWIW, I think they could challenge for the conference with him as their QB) - that is what I said. What I did not say was that Bryant was actively considering UC. I didn't even hint at it.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 10-23-18, 11:55 AM
adselder09 adselder09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 14,126
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
In more than one post now you've implied that UC has a chance at Bryant due to his interest in Arkansas and UNC. You say both are mediocre programs but bottom line, both are better programs than UC. If you can't see that then I can't help you.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 10-23-18, 05:52 PM
Max Grumbleman Max Grumbleman is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-11-16
Posts: 445
Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
In more than one post now you've implied that UC has a chance at Bryant due to his interest in Arkansas and UNC. You say both are mediocre programs but bottom line, both are better programs than UC. If you can't see that then I can't help you.
By what measure are they better opportunities? Belonging to a P5 conference? Did playing for Wyoming in the MWC hurt Josh Allen?
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 10-23-18, 08:09 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 7,593
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Resources, exposure, training, draft picks?

Draft picks since 2000:

Arkansas: 60
North Carolina: 58
Cincinnati: 31
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 10-23-18, 11:11 PM
brianwr112 brianwr112 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-25-05
Location: richmond KY
Posts: 2,465
brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Bryant will be visiting Missouri for the Kentucky game this weekend. Missouri's current QB, Drew Lock, has had one of the most impressive careers stat-wise of any SEC QB in the league's history. Sure the offenses have changed over the years but without injury he'll end up at least in the top 3 in career TD passes, maybe by the end of this weekend. Assuming the coaching staff remains in tack I think Missouri would be a good choice looking to make a big splash in a little amount of time. They may not win games but it's mainly because their defense is awful. Certainly NFL teams would be drawn to the numbers Mizzou puts up when they have the ball.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 10-24-18, 10:42 AM
adselder09 adselder09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 14,126
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Grumbleman View Post
By what measure are they better opportunities? Belonging to a P5 conference? Did playing for Wyoming in the MWC hurt Josh Allen?
Yes exactly, Power 5 over Group of 5. Josh Allen didn't start his career at Clemson. Seriously there's no help for you.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 10-24-18, 01:41 PM
Max Grumbleman Max Grumbleman is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-11-16
Posts: 445
Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Yes exactly, Power 5 over Group of 5. Josh Allen didn't start his career at Clemson. Seriously there's no help for you.
For the sake of clarity, are you arguing going from Clemson to UC would cause Bryant to lose more face than North Carolina or Arkansas? I just want to be sure because this statement appears to actually harm your argument. A QB who played his entire career at Wyoming became a Top 5 pick. In no way can that be used as proof that a move to UC would hurt his draft stock.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 10-24-18, 02:09 PM
adselder09 adselder09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 14,126
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Grumbleman View Post
For the sake of clarity, are you arguing going from Clemson to UC would cause Bryant to lose more face than North Carolina or Arkansas? I just want to be sure because this statement appears to actually harm your argument. A QB who played his entire career at Wyoming became a Top 5 pick. In no way can that be used as proof that a move to UC would hurt his draft stock.
And Carson Wentz didn't play a down of FBS football at NDSU. What's your point?
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 10-28-18, 07:57 AM
Irwin20 Irwin20 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-14-11
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3,481
Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Uc now 7-1, likely 8-1 after next week v. Navy (maybe). THis SMU game was taking on the scent of Temple @ the end. Blowing a 10 pt lead, offense suddenly sputtering while SMU was finding itself. I think they go 2-2 the rest of the way. Uc is very young if they can get the recruiting pipeline humming they may make some noise soon.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 10-28-18, 09:04 PM
adselder09 adselder09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 14,126
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Not impressed with UC's offensive play-calling. There's no reason Ridder should be throwing the ball 40+ times. He looked much better as a runner yesterday though - couple nice runs on the final drive to set up the game-tying FG.

Navy is a tough matchup because of the option - tough to simulate that especially mid-season. Bearcat defense has been pretty stout against the run though.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 10-30-18, 08:43 PM
Max Grumbleman Max Grumbleman is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-11-16
Posts: 445
Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
And Carson Wentz didn't play a down of FBS football at NDSU. What's your point?
The point should be obvious: Bryant's NFL potential would not be harmed playing for UC!
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 10-30-18, 08:45 PM
Max Grumbleman Max Grumbleman is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-11-16
Posts: 445
Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
Ridder was VERY fortunate he didn't cost UC the game. How lucky was it an SMU player lost his helmet during his scramble on the last drive?! He should play the lottery!
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 10-30-18, 08:52 PM
Southwest Guy Southwest Guy is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-05-02
Posts: 13,775
Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Hopefully UC can hold Navy under 500 yards rushing this year. Time to see how much improvement there has been. Sucks that the Temple game got away from them.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 10-30-18, 10:25 PM
Pope Francis 1 Pope Francis 1 is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 01-30-16
Location: Vatican City
Posts: 2,208
Pope Francis 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Bearcats lose lmao.
Bearcats win again! LMAO!
Kick FG on last play of SMU game to send game to OT. LMAO!
Then pick-6 in OT to beat SMU. LMAO!
Record 7-1 LMAO!

Last edited by Pope Francis 1; 10-30-18 at 10:37 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 11-03-18, 07:42 PM
Termite2 Termite2 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-11-03
Location: North Sycamore Twp
Posts: 14,816
Termite2 will become famous soon enough
UC routs Navy, holds their rushing to 125 yds; Navy averaged 307yds rushing/game coming into game.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 11-03-18, 09:09 PM
Monclova Steve Monclova Steve is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 05-26-09
Location: Monclova, OH
Posts: 1,412
Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
I don't know how the Bearcats are going to do against UCF and USF. They could very well lose both.
However, it's clear that Luke Fickell has this program going in the right direction. This team keeps getting better every week.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the 'Cats pull off an upset (or two!).
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 11-03-18, 09:22 PM
adselder09 adselder09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 14,126
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Grumbleman View Post
The point should be obvious: Bryant's NFL potential would not be harmed playing for UC!
Fair I guess, but the point I'm making is that it's laughable to even think Bryant would come to a school like UC.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 11-03-18, 09:24 PM
adselder09 adselder09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 14,126
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Very impressive to shut out Navy. UCF just gave up 40 to Temple so their defense isn't anything to be afraid of. USF at home next week and a win sets up a winner-take-all game in Orlando for the East Division.
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 11-03-18, 09:44 PM
Monclova Steve Monclova Steve is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 05-26-09
Location: Monclova, OH
Posts: 1,412
Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Very impressive to shut out Navy. UCF just gave up 40 to Temple so their defense isn't anything to be afraid of. USF at home next week and a win sets up a winner-take-all game in Orlando for the East Division.
At the beginning of the season, I think that all of us would have been thrilled for the 'Cats to be in this position. This team has clearly improved as the year has gone on.
We still don't know how good this team is. Finally, we're about to find out.

The future looks bright.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 11-04-18, 01:26 PM
Max Grumbleman Max Grumbleman is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-11-16
Posts: 445
Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Fair I guess, but the point I'm making is that it's laughable to even think Bryant would come to a school like UC.
For which your reasoning amounts to nothing more than "because I say so"!
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 11-04-18, 01:51 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Not in Price Hill
Posts: 4,902
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Fair I guess, but the point I'm making is that it's laughable to even think Bryant would come to a school like UC.
Laughable doesnt even begin to describe it
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 11-04-18, 02:06 PM
Max Grumbleman Max Grumbleman is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-11-16
Posts: 445
Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
Nothing laughable about it at all! Bryant would have a great ability to shine at a school like UC and the NFL has shown it doesn't much care what level of D1 a QB plays as long as they can play!
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 11-04-18, 02:30 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Not in Price Hill
Posts: 4,902
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Thats great but why would he come to UC? He has no ties to the state, no ties to the coaching staff, sub par conference, sub par facilities. He was just at a P5 school why would he go the a middle of the road G5 school? The reason Arkansas has a shot is bc Chad Morris and him have a connection. He has no connection to the school. To compare the Burrow situation to this is laughable at best. To think UC would have any shot at landing him is worse than laughable. Dreams are free i guess.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 11-04-18, 02:36 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Not in Price Hill
Posts: 4,902
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
I fail to see how a few qbs have been drafted from unheralded schools makes UC standout amongst those other "unheralded" schools and other p5 schools.... has UC had one of those qbs? No. So what does UC have to do with any of it? That doesnt make UC stand out in the crowd.

Like it or not he has a better shot at improving his draft at Arkansas than he does at UC. A bottom feeding SEC school is still more attractive than a school like UC
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 11-04-18, 07:02 PM
adselder09 adselder09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 14,126
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Grumbleman View Post
For which your reasoning amounts to nothing more than "because I say so"!
No, you just don't like my reasons. I can give you a list of reasons why and you would try to refute them with your red and black glasses on.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 11-04-18, 10:00 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: not Cleveland
Posts: 17,510
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
I fail to see how a few qbs have been drafted from unheralded schools makes UC standout amongst those other "unheralded" schools and other p5 schools.... has UC had one of those qbs? No. So what does UC have to do with any of it? That doesnt make UC stand out in the crowd.

Like it or not he has a better shot at improving his draft at Arkansas than he does at UC. A bottom feeding SEC school is still more attractive than a school like UC
Meanwhile on a message board somewhere in the Rockies, a confused Colorado State fan is suggesting Bryant will be a Ram next year
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 11-05-18, 11:44 AM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,484
Auggie is on a distinguished road
Kick off for the USF game is now set at 7:00. Love evening games at Nippert; will be in Clifton Saturday so need to talk the wife into taking this one in but that may be a challenge because... The weather is looking to be in the 20s Saturday evening. I'm guessing the Bulls players will not be too happy either to be playing in freezing temps, if UC gets up on them early they could fold and be more worried about getting into the warmth of the locker room then the game at hand.

8-1 heading into UCF will not stink. With cupcake Saturday in the SEC and most conferences setting up for rivalry games the following Saturday the only other game with a pair of ranked teams will be ND vs Syracuse at Yankee Stadium. Gameday will probably set up shop in Times Sq but maybe they head to Orlando and give the AAC some love?
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 11-05-18, 11:51 AM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,484
Auggie is on a distinguished road
Anyone else think Marcus Freeman could be heading to a Power 5 DC gig at the end of the season? Heck, he could be next in line in Columbus if things do not turn around there quickly. He is only making $275.0K at UC, a DC job at a tOSU type program is a $1.0 million plus gig and a spring board to the big seat.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 Canton McKinley Bulldogs Football Season IUDOGS Football 621 10-22-18 08:03 AM
Barberton: A Coaching Legacy frecriss Barberton Magics 17 09-24-18 05:18 PM
IUDOGS: 2017 - 2018 Ohio High School Football Coaches Changes IUDOGS Football 362 08-14-18 09:35 AM
Wolverine-Buckeye tournaments - Over 1,000 entries for 2018 already Wolverine-Buckeye TC Baseball 0 12-28-17 11:21 PM
D VII State Semifinal: St. Paul (13-0) vs Minster (9-4) EagleFan Football 130 11-27-17 08:26 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz