Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-11-18, 06:16 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Maryland head coach DJ Durkin placed on administrative leave

Quote:
The University of Maryland has placed football coach DJ Durkin on paid administrative leave as it investigates allegations of abuse and disparagement in the program and the death of offensive lineman Jordan McNair.

Athletic director Damon Evans announced the move Saturday, saying offensive coordinator Matt Canada will serve as the team's interim coach. Canada is a first-year assistant hired in January after he spent a year as LSU's offensive coordinator. He had made coordinator stops at Pitt, NC State, Wisconsin, Indiana and Northern Illinois.

Read more:
http://www.espn.com/college-football...-toxic-culture
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-18, 09:26 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
I don't see any of the suspended ever being part of Maryland's program again. And just may have ended their coaching careers. It's amazing that coaches don't realize players really do have a voice now. And they're sure as heck going to use it when one of their teammates die.
Old 08-12-18, 07:35 AM
All Ohio

sodbuster is on a distinguished road
Just because these "coaches" have a college education, doesn't mean they're smart.
Old 08-12-18, 08:36 AM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
The descriptions given by the players, of the actions of some of these coaches is amazing to me. The level of anger one would need to carry with them, to inflict this type of fear and intimidation is truly amazing. It is hard for me to get my head around, why anyone would want to intentionally work this way in any profession. Much less one that really isn't all that important. I mean, I love football and all, but it is only a game.
Old 08-12-18, 11:12 AM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
On the scale of fireable offenses, I think not following up on reports of DV falls way below having a player fall dead on the practice field.

Last edited by arizonawildcat; 08-12-18 at 09:43 PM..
Old 08-12-18, 11:17 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Just when you think Maryland might be finally turning the corner. Unreal. I don't understand coaches or trainers who don't take their players' health and safety seriously. Court sounds like a complete psycho.

Last edited by Crusaders; 08-12-18 at 11:27 AM..
Old 08-12-18, 12:51 PM
All American

falguin is on a distinguished road
This is so sad. I just can't imagine how the family feels. You have this son who worked hard enough to get a scholarship to a good school like Maryland only to have coaches not take his health seriously that led to his death. Don't these guys remember what happened to Korey Stringer? Durkin has no excuse because he grew up in Ytown when Korey died of heat stroke. You can't have guys that are close to 300 pounds running 110 yard sprints in extreme heat without something bad happening. I wonder how many other of the players were in danger of having the same thing happen. Just so you coaches know, the Marines who are actually training men and women to kill in extreme situations don't do the things that these coaches were doing.
Old 08-12-18, 05:50 PM
All Ohio

sodbuster is on a distinguished road
His body temp purported to be at the time, 106.
Old 08-12-18, 08:54 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
What ever happened to the coach who sent his film guy up in the tower during
high winds who died because of it ?
Old 08-13-18, 05:46 AM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
The coach has to win,so sad for that player and his family.Sure hope that position coach will be held accountable and who else didn't help the young man.
Old 09-01-18, 05:02 PM
All Yappi

Nice win by these players today
Old 09-01-18, 08:22 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Huge game by Marylands players and coaches. Props to Texas for participating in the delay of game penalty in honor of their fallen teammate.
Old 10-31-18, 08:53 PM
All Yappi

Maryland fires head coach DJ Durkin after reinstatement: https://es.pn/2SAf2gA
Old 10-31-18, 08:57 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
What a mess
Old 10-31-18, 09:39 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
What a mess
Right. Maryland Board of Regents should All be let go. What they have or have not done since this young man died can only be described as a Total Cluster__ck!
Old 11-01-18, 08:35 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know that this is a as black and white as many people are saying. Think about it, it's the job of the coaches, strength and conditioning staff to get players ready for competition. You have to push athletes to their boundaries, and then some in some cases. We could find hundreds of thousands of former athletes who credit their coaches and staff for pushing them beyond their limits and making them the players they were.
It's incredibly sad that this kid died. And every year, we hear about a few kids who die in athletic practice related issues like this.
We live in an age now where people feel like they have a voice, especially young people. My guess is the board of regents at Maryland or anyplace else are made up of smart people who've elevated to these positions over time with their decisions and integrity. They were not just given these spots.
It's also probably the case with Maryland that they aren't flush with cash like the upper crust D1 programs. I heard that Maryland agreed to join the big ten because they were in terrible financial shape and needed the money the big ten provides. So just firing Durkin and paying his buyout, while paying another person to be the head coach may have not been as viable option as most think.
Old 11-09-18, 09:48 AM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Two more athletic trainers were fired as well.

https://www.insidehighered.com/quick...tics-officials

Quote:
The regents’ investigation found that Nordwall did not report McNair’s symptoms to his supervisor until more than an hour after they first began. Robinson, meanwhile, pushed McNair during the practice in May, yelling to McNair’s teammates to “get him the ---- up” while he struggled and then “drag his --- off the field,” football players told investigators.
Old 11-12-18, 06:54 PM
All Yappi

Curious where the program goes after this year. The roster has a decent amount of talent. The right hires could make them a tough team to beat.