Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 01-06-17, 02:11 PM
aged jock aged jock is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 1,726
aged jock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Nation View Post
Don't be so melodramatic, I never criticized anyone for admitting anyone, the "your money isn't good here" line hasn't been said unironically for a long time. I dare you to find a post by anyone espousing that viewpoint.

But the hogwash mantra about the "community" of these schools isn't true. They're insular and extra cliquish. The whole "community" is a clique, and there's cliques within the clique. Pretending otherwise doesn't make it so. That's why privates have such tiny fan bases, they're not inclusive and lie to themselves to pretend they have better morals instead of just relatively more money than the real communities they live in.
Any group has "cliques within the clique". Just as all families, all public schools, all private schools, etc. Private schools are communities. Usually very tight communities. In fact, the better sports teams are produced by tighter communities, who play for one another. That is true from peewees to the pros.

In fact, private schools are more community oriented because they may be somewhat insular. Public schools, who are required to accept everybody and offend nobody are, almost by definition, "cliques within the clique", because they are larger groups, much more diverse in terms of interests, beliefs, aspirations and backgrounds.

You can't have it both ways. To say that public schools are more cohesive is simply not true. And private schools are, almost by necessity, very tight communities. They just aren't necessarily next door neighbors.

And the reason private schools are reputed to not travel as well as rural publics is that private schools tend to be in larger population centers, because it requires a larger population center to find enough people who can pay the freight to attend private schools. Smaller towns tend to travel better.

Why do public school supporters have to make stuff up to explain their ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-06-17, 03:14 PM
Termite2 Termite2 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-11-03
Location: North Sycamore Twp
Posts: 13,971
Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Nation View Post
........................
But the hogwash mantra about the "community" of these schools isn't true. They're insular and extra cliquish. The whole "community" is a clique, and there's cliques within the clique. Pretending otherwise doesn't make it so. That's why privates have such tiny fan bases, they're not inclusive and lie to themselves to pretend they have better morals instead of just relatively more money than the real communities they live in.
huh? private schools have tiny fan bases? The largest crowd [47, 743*] in OHSAA playoff history involve private schools with those "tiny" fan bases.



The largest regular season game[X/Highlands] since 2000 also involved a private school; 43,000 paid; does not include those let in for free after the Sheriff ordered the gates open because of the crowd outside the ticket booths.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-06-17, 03:20 PM
Crimson and Black Crimson and Black is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-15-16
Posts: 68
Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
LOL! You need to go to Newark, Zanesville, Lancaster, Somerset, Mt. Vernon, Mansfield and look at all of the rich people sending their kids to private schools. Those arrogant SOBs making $60k a year and flaunting it in your face! It's disgusting! Not to mention all of the athletes going to school for free! They must have multi million dollar trusts set up for all the scholarships! I bet the restrooms are stocked with toilet paper made out of $100 bills! Filthy rich people!!
$60K is rich and fuels snobbery? What 3rd world country are you living in? Hopefully you were being facetious.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-06-17, 03:37 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 6,339
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson and Black View Post
$60K is rich and fuels snobbery? What 3rd world country are you living in? Hopefully you were being facetious.
I believe you missed the sarcasm. Would have thought the last line would of clued you in.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-06-17, 03:44 PM
sportfan97 sportfan97 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-01-10
Posts: 175
sportfan97 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh, Cheviot,Indian Hill,Norwood,Sharonville,and Springdale, are all within 5 miles of the Cincinnati city limits, all basically Cincinnati.Thus you have Moeller,Elder, and Lasalle. Plus 7 or 8 other smaller private schools. Uh, I forgot ST X my bad.


In the Village of Indian Hill you have one public school district Indian Hill) and one private school (Cincinnati Country Day). The surprising thing to me is the numbers are that high with Indian Hills Schools being one of the top public schools in the state. I guess rich people just like to send their kids to private schools because it's the cool thing to do..lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-06-17, 03:44 PM
lc5397 lc5397 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-30-10
Posts: 2,421
lc5397 is on a distinguished road
"but the hogwash mantra about the "community" of these schools isn't true. They're insular and extra cliquish. The whole "community" is a clique, and there's cliques within the clique. Pretending otherwise doesn't make it so."

Please go google the definition of community then come back and report to the class what you found.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-06-17, 03:53 PM
Crimson and Black Crimson and Black is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-15-16
Posts: 68
Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
I believe you missed the sarcasm. Would have thought the last line would of clued you in.
Winbypin, I have a terrible habit of not reading entire messages because I jump the gun and assume what the writer is saying with only part of the message. One of my many imperfections
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-06-17, 03:53 PM
hoser hoser is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-19-13
Location: shangra-lah
Posts: 6,716
hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfan97 View Post
In the Village of Indian Hill you have one public school district Indian Hill) and one private school (Cincinnati Country Day). The surprising thing to me is the numbers are that high with Indian Hills Schools being one of the top public schools in the state. I guess rich people just like to send their kids to private schools because it's the cool thing to do..lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uh Indian Hill is one of the most affluent communities in the state of Ohio. They send their kids to Country Day because they can afford it. The same reason you see so many Beamers, Mercedes, and other high end vehicles in Indian Hill. Its all about status, standing, and how one presents themselves. As you know, perception is reality.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-06-17, 04:13 PM
styx styx is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-18-14
Posts: 211
styx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
huh? private schools have tiny fan bases?
Yes, they do. Everyone knows that. When two privates play it is usually really good football with really empty stands.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-06-17, 04:14 PM
Buck_98 Buck_98 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-09-16
Posts: 112
Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson and Black View Post
$60K is rich and fuels snobbery? What 3rd world country are you living in? Hopefully you were being facetious.
Lol! Read the entire conversation between hoser and I. The $100 bills as toilet paper should've clued you in.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 01-06-17, 04:20 PM
Buck_98 Buck_98 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-09-16
Posts: 112
Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfan97 View Post
In the Village of Indian Hill you have one public school district Indian Hill) and one private school (Cincinnati Country Day). The surprising thing to me is the numbers are that high with Indian Hills Schools being one of the top public schools in the state. I guess rich people just like to send their kids to private schools because it's the cool thing to do..lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rich people like to send their kids to private schools because they pay for an education they trust. They also know it will create a lifelong pipeline of "Centers of Influence". Because it truly is who you know when you get into the business world.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-06-17, 04:28 PM
Buck_98 Buck_98 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-09-16
Posts: 112
Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh Indian Hill is one of the most affluent communities in the state of Ohio. They send their kids to Country Day because they can afford it. The same reason you see so many Beamers, Mercedes, and other high end vehicles in Indian Hill. Its all about status, standing, and how one presents themselves. As you know, perception is reality.
Perception is reality when you run around in wealthy circles. Nothing wrong with that. Just like there is nothing wrong with how the people who live in the poorest counties of Ohio conduct themselves. Problem is you are so hung up on not being rich that you are bashing people. Not all people that send their kids to private schools are rich. Not all rich kids attend private schools. Not all private schools win championships. Not all public schools get shut out of championships. Get over it already.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-06-17, 04:33 PM
TCSoup TCSoup is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-05-14
Posts: 555
TCSoup is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by styx View Post
Yes, they do. Everyone knows that. When two privates play it is usually really good football with really empty stands.
Give an example, Privates in Columbus consistently draw between 4,000- 10,000
a game when they play each other.
Watterson at Desales most years draws 5,000-10,000 people

Hartley/ Desales game was packed this year

Desales versus Trenton Edgewood more than half the visitors side was empty this year .

A few years ago versus Warrensville Heights 12 people were on Heights side kid you not.

And in 2013 versus Clinton Massie who won the State the year before favored to do so again and riding the States longest Winning streak about 300- 400 people showed up from Massie. Thought the whole town would show up .
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-06-17, 04:44 PM
hoser hoser is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-19-13
Location: shangra-lah
Posts: 6,716
hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
Perception is reality when you run around in wealthy circles. Nothing wrong with that. Just like there is nothing wrong with how the people who live in the poorest counties of Ohio conduct themselves. Problem is you are so hung up on not being rich that you are bashing people. Not all people that send their kids to private schools are rich. Not all rich kids attend private schools. Not all private schools win championships. Not all public schools get shut out of championships. Get over it already.
Uh as I recall I have never revealed my income level and you have no idea what it is. Uh after reading your post, you have no idea about a lot of things. Perception is reality no matter what your income level Einstein. So I guess there is nothing wrong how anybody conducts themselves. Uh current events pretty much disproves that brilliant statement. Try reading a good book. You might be surprised.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-06-17, 04:48 PM
hoser hoser is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-19-13
Location: shangra-lah
Posts: 6,716
hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCSoup View Post
Give an example, Privates in Columbus consistently draw between 4,000- 10,000
a game when they play each other.
Watterson at Desales most years draws 5,000-10,000 people

Hartley/ Desales game was packed this year

Desales versus Trenton Edgewood more than half the visitors side was empty this year .

A few years ago versus Warrensville Heights 12 people were on Heights side kid you not.

And in 2013 versus Clinton Massie who won the State the year before favored to do so again and riding the States longest Winning streak about 300- 400 people showed up from Massie. Thought the whole town would show up .
Uh just a few facts you might consider. Uh Hartley and Watterson are 5 minutes from Desales, Edgewood and Massie are 2 hours or more from Desales. Uh ya think that might have a little bearing on crowd sizes?
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 01-06-17, 05:29 PM
hoser hoser is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-19-13
Location: shangra-lah
Posts: 6,716
hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCSoup View Post
Give an example, Privates in Columbus consistently draw between 4,000- 10,000
a game when they play each other.
Watterson at Desales most years draws 5,000-10,000 people

Hartley/ Desales game was packed this year

Desales versus Trenton Edgewood more than half the visitors side was empty this year .

A few years ago versus Warrensville Heights 12 people were on Heights side kid you not.

And in 2013 versus Clinton Massie who won the State the year before favored to do so again and riding the States longest Winning streak about 300- 400 people showed up from Massie. Thought the whole town would show up .
Uh, just a little heads up.When you guys entertain Winton Woods next season be prepared for probably less than 100 people in the stands. What Woods will bring is a team of great athletes including a LB who will probably end up at the OSU. Woods has a tendency of beating themselves with bonehead penalties and terrible special teams, but if they get ahead of you guys look out.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-06-17, 09:00 PM
Irish60 Irish60 is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-14
Posts: 1,198
Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc5397 View Post
"but the hogwash mantra about the "community" of these schools isn't true. They're insular and extra cliquish. The whole "community" is a clique, and there's cliques within the clique. Pretending otherwise doesn't make it so."

Please go google the definition of community then come back and report to the class what you found.
The silliness with this argument is that they compare the sense of "community" of a high school from a small town with that of a metropolitan area. In a small town, yes, the entire city gets behind the team, because the entire city went to that school. Whether by choice or by lack of choice, the town is connected to the high school in a way that you don't get in a metropolitan school. But the nonsense in this argument is that they suggest this lack of "community", as they define it, afflicts only the metropolitan private schools. Are they suggesting that the metropolitan public schools get the entire support of their communities to the same extent that a small town school does? In Akron, not everyone gets behind STVM because not everyone went to STVM. Similarly, not everyone gets behind Hoban or Ellet or East because they don't have that historic connection with the schools. In Cincinnati, is the "community" support for Colerain any greater than the "community" support for Moeller? So you have schools like Dover, like Steubenville, like 100's of other small town high schools whose city's population essentially all went to that school! They are and should be rightfully proud of the connection between the school and community. It's part of what makes small towns in America great. But to suggest that this is somehow a failure of private schools in metropolitan areas is just disingenuous.

Last edited by Irish60; 01-06-17 at 09:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-06-17, 09:38 PM
Irish60 Irish60 is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-14
Posts: 1,198
Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh, I beg your pardon. I am functioning great. I don't take any male enhancement supplements and have never had any complaints. Uh "hoser" get it? You smart guys cant see the forest for the trees.
I don't think "hoser" means what you think it means!
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-06-17, 10:26 PM
aged jock aged jock is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 1,726
aged jock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
I don't think "hoser" means what you think it means!
When you're acting alone, who's to complain?
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-06-17, 10:34 PM
Blue Jay Fan Blue Jay Fan is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-04-03
Location: Delphos
Posts: 697
Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
You fellas want to see a Catholic school with a great community like any public school, come to Delphos. I'll show you around.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 01-06-17, 10:35 PM
Bennies'01 Bennies'01 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-28-04
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 18,941
Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
No surprise that University Heights tops the list. Solid housing stock + solid religious schools + poor performing public school = mass exodus from the district.
I disagree with part of this assessment. University Heights, along with Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights, have always had a large percentage of students attending private schools, even when CH-UH and SH were considered premier school districts. That said, I do truly believe that for high-achieving/gifted students, they can still be very successful in Shaker schools and even the Heights schools.

The irony here is of course that much of the basis for public school ratings is really the quality of the students themselves and their family background. Therefore if more of these students were attending the local public schools, the ratings for CH-UH and SH would be quite a bit better. Every time a family living in these communities opts for a private school, it's part of a larger negative feedback cycle which decreases the school ratings and encourages more students to leave. I suppose that not much can be done about that at this point due to perceptions.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 01-06-17, 10:37 PM
aged jock aged jock is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-27-09
Posts: 1,726
aged jock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh, just a little heads up.When you guys entertain Winton Woods next season be prepared for probably less than 100 people in the stands. What Woods will bring is a team of great athletes including a LB who will probably end up at the OSU. Woods has a tendency of beating themselves with bonehead penalties and terrible special teams, but if they get ahead of you guys look out.
WW is a great example of a public school with all the raw talent in the world, that should be winning championships. But they don't. Why? Because they have difficulty staying disciplined, following and sticking with their game plan.

Don't know about WW, but some teams get ahead and win big as Hoser brags, but can't fight through adversity. Privates tend to get through tough times because they have faith in their preparation and not just in their raw skill or talent.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 01-06-17, 11:13 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 23,639
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh, Cheviot,Indian Hill,Norwood,Sharonville,and Springdale, are all within 5 miles of the Cincinnati city limits, all basically Cincinnati.Thus you have Moeller,Elder, and Lasalle. Plus 7 or 8 other smaller private schools. Uh, I forgot ST X my bad.
Would you say that 'Nati's inner suburbs that you cite have a significant number of rentals accepting section 8 vouchers ?
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 01-06-17, 11:16 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 23,639
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
Yes and no.

I think one thing that binds most of the private attendees together, whether they come from Euclid or Willoughby Hills, is a belief that they can do better with the privates. The very best public districts, with lots of wealthy people...in the Clevleand area...Solon, Hudson, Brecksville...they're the wealthiest but don't have the highest percentage of privates because the locals are getting (mostly) what they want/need in their public schools. Many of the other communities...places like Euclid and University Heights...some of the residents are reasonably well off but the school district isn't giving them what they want.
Peace and safety ?
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 01-06-17, 11:16 PM
Baron Von Steuben's Avatar
Baron Von Steuben Baron Von Steuben is offline
Grand Inquisitor
 
Join Date: 11-30-06
Location: Wintersville, Ohio
Posts: 5,906
Baron Von Steuben is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
No surprise that University Heights tops the list. Solid housing stock + solid religious schools + poor performing public school = mass exodus from the district.

A few that surprise me:

Beachwood 28.7%> Top notch school district that spends big $s per pupil. What this indicates to me are the Hasidim Jews moving into the western part of the city are a growing % of the population as they would never send their kids to public school, instead they attend single sex religious schools that teach the Torah as much as core academic subjects.

Mansfield 31.9%> Where are all these kids going? Not a big city but big enough that you would think 30%+ students heading to private schools would mean for some bigger places than what they have. Are they home schooled? Open enrollment to where?

Pepper Pike 31.3%> Another top notch district that spends big on their schools. This time it is reformed Jews that are sending their kids to elite Prep Schools that the grand parents would never been allowed to sniff back in the day.

Steubenville 26.3%> I thought this was an economically challenged city and the tuition would be a big challenge for most families? That is a large % compared to similar demographic cities like Ashtabula, Warren, and Youngstown that are not on the list.

It's interesting how that's developed. Many of the people who attended Catholic Central in my era now send their children to public schools. My theory on the %:

1. A sizable group of charismatics/Franciscan University grads who do not home-school their children send their kids to the West End. They aren't big on football; but I recognize their names from soccer box scores in the Steubenville Herald Star. (I attended Franciscan University in the mid to late 1980's).

2. New arrivals to the area are more comfortable sending their children to Catholic Central or Jefferson County Christian.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 01-06-17, 11:25 PM
Crimson and Black Crimson and Black is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-15-16
Posts: 68
Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
Lol! Read the entire conversation between hoser and I. The $100 bills as toilet paper should've clued you in.
Buck, see my next post after my Ill informed post!
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 01-06-17, 11:34 PM
Kballer Kballer is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-03-12
Posts: 1,260
Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Nation View Post
Don't be so melodramatic, I never criticized anyone for admitting anyone, the "your money isn't good here" line hasn't been said unironically for a long time. I dare you to find a post by anyone espousing that viewpoint.

But the hogwash mantra about the "community" of these schools isn't true. They're insular and extra cliquish. The whole "community" is a clique, and there's cliques within the clique. Pretending otherwise doesn't make it so. That's why privates have such tiny fan bases, they're not inclusive and lie to themselves to pretend they have better morals instead of just relatively more money than the real communities they live in.
What a nasty, narrow minded post. So in your opinion, Who are they supposed to include more? Taking shots at something you clearly don't bother to try to understand is not only petty, but completely ignorant.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 01-06-17, 11:57 PM
EagleGuy EagleGuy is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-26-16
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 881
EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aged jock View Post
When you're acting alone, who's to complain?
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 01-07-17, 08:34 AM
hoser hoser is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-19-13
Location: shangra-lah
Posts: 6,716
hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by aged jock View Post
WW is a great example of a public school with all the raw talent in the world, that should be winning championships. But they don't. Why? Because they have difficulty staying disciplined, following and sticking with their game plan.

Don't know about WW, but some teams get ahead and win big as Hoser brags, but can't fight through adversity. Privates tend to get through tough times because they have faith in their preparation and not just in their raw skill or talent.
Uh, nah privates tend to get through tough times because of bigger, stronger, faster, athletes and a lot more of them.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 01-07-17, 08:59 AM
zeeman zeeman is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-22-11
Location: in a galaxy far far away
Posts: 4,557
zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay Fan View Post
You fellas want to see a Catholic school with a great community like any public school, come to Delphos. I'll show you around.
Trolling for dates BJF? Check out hose clamp, you two would have a lot in common. You will have to drive to Trenton though to hook up with him as he can't leave momma's basement and his 86 Chevette won't make it all the way to Delphos.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5/5/15 Box Scores Yappi Baseball 0 05-05-15 11:49 PM
4/27/15 Box Scores Yappi Softball 0 04-27-15 11:50 PM
4/27/15 Box Scores Yappi Baseball 0 04-27-15 11:48 PM
4/21/15 Box Scores Yappi Softball 0 04-21-15 11:10 PM
4/13/15 Box Scores Yappi Baseball 1 04-14-15 06:56 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz